[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

So I've just started looking into Contract Configurator, contract packs, and of course the stock contract system. I've noticed a few kerbalism parts have contract patches added like the greenhouse. Since it seems you plan on updating soon, would you consider added the the gravity ring to the station contract part request? Maybe beef up the reward and add a touch of science? Something like that anyway...

However, if I can manage, I might be able to come up with a separate set of contracts just for the gravity ring on my own (Back story and all that). I know the DMagic Orbital stuff does that kind of thing well enough. If I can figure it all out, might make the gravity ring a more important part of Kerbalism...

Should I hold my breathe? Of course, I'm too dumb not to.

Gotta agree with PieBue.... The greenhouse module is a little weak. I thought you said you'd try and fix that up a while back. Something along the lines the greenhouse would kinda act like a recycler by taking in other resources (x2?) and outputting the same. Or did I just dream that?. Other LS mods have a common Idea at least. The greenhouse, would suck in CO2 and spew O2... Right?

6 hours ago, DarkonZ said:

The greenhouse, would suck in CO2 and spew O2... Right?

Well that would be another goal I think, but it would also consume some water right?, adding a module into the config scrubber + waterperday should suffice?

1 hour ago, Goddard said:

I have just updated to the newest file, which also took me past 0.9.9.6

When I load my save, my old ships that had food or oxygen on them do not load as the part is missing. Does anyone know of a fix?

I think you're missing the profile, on CKAN you gotta download the default profile as well, cheers.

@Goddard Some parts were disabled but still shipped with the mod until very recently. Then in 1.0.7 they where finally removed from the main download. But they are still available here: OldParts. Put the OldParts directory inside Kerbalism/Parts.

@PieBue This suggestion come up once in a while. I need to think about the details, but something along these lines will be implemented, eventually. In the meanwhile you could experiment with it by adding a scrubber module to the greenhouse and see how it plays out:

Spoiler

@PART[Greenhouse]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = Scrubber
    resource_name = Oxygen
    waste_name = CO2
    ec_rate = 0.0
    co2_rate = 0.01
  }
}

@DarkonZ A GravRing landmark contract is a good idea, but I can't think of any interesting one to add it in-code. If you want to make a contract pack for Kerbalism using ContractConfigurator that would be really great.

@BashGordon33 That little panel showing the radiation info for the body can be summoned by ALT+N, if I understand what you mean. If not, please elaborate.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

@ShotgunNinja The levels of radiation based on the mangnetopause is very small, often around 0.008. This number is to small to be displayed in the Alt+N menu popup, so it displays that the planet has no magnetosphere. The radiation indicator doesn't seem to wan't to display radiation levels in the ten-thousandth level.

Version 1.1.1 released

Changelog:

Spoiler

- new automation system: vessel computer, console, scripts
  - improved body info window
  - vessel info show crew specialization
  - lights consume ec in background and are considered in planner
  - support: KerbalAtomics engines radiation patch by TheSaint
  - support: NewHorizons radiation definitions patch by BashGordon33
  - support: SampleReturnCapsule antenna patch  
  - support: SurfaceLights in planner and background simulation
  - balance: reduced Vall/Io surface radiation
  - balance: (realism profile) less co2 capacity in pods
  - balance: (realism profile) kerbals eat twice per-day  
  - fix: crossing belt contract condition & warnings
  - fix: hiding the GUI will not show any window
  - fix: EVA headlight not working without a profile

A simple automation system

Every vessel has a computer, that store text files and expose supported modules on the vessel as 'device files' (similar to Unix/Linux). A console can be used to send commands to the computer. It can be opened by clicking on the icon in the vessel monitor, or by middle-clicking on the vessel name. Text files can be executed as scripts: there is no scripting language, instead these are just console scripts where each line execute a command. Some predefined text files are executed when a certain condition apply. More information is here.

Supported devices that can be controlled:

Spoiler
  • scrubber
  • recycler
  • greenhouse
  • gravity ring
  • emitter
  • solar panel
  • generator
  • converter
  • drill
  • light

Conditions that can execute a script automatically:

Spoiler
  • landed
  • in atmosphere
  • in space
  • in sunlight
  • in shadow
  • power low
  • power nominal
  • radiation high
  • radiation nominal
  • signal loss
  • signal re-obtained
  • eva out
  • eva in

Example:

Spoiler

Open the console by middle-clicking the name of a vessel in the monitor.

Write 'edit auto/power_low', a text editor window will pop out.

In the text editor, write the following:

// this is called when power level drop below 15%

ctrl panel on                 // extend all solar panels
log 'KSC, we got a problem'   // write something in file doc/log

Now close the text editor, content is saved automatically.

That's it, wait for power to drop below 15% and watch the panels extend.

5 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Version 1.1.1 released

Changelog:

Reveal hidden contents

Every vessel has a computer, that store text files and expose supported modules on the vessel as 'device files' (similar to Unix/Linux). A console can be used to send commands to the computer. It can be opened by clicking on the icon in the vessel monitor, or by middle-clicking on the vessel name. Text files can be executed as scripts: there is no scripting language, instead these are just console scripts where each line execute a command. Some predefined text files are executed when a certain condition apply. More information is here.

Reveal hidden contents
  • scrubber
  • recycler
  • greenhouse
  • gravity ring
  • emitter
  • solar panel
  • generator
  • converter
  • drill
  • light

Reveal hidden contents
  • landed
  • in atmosphere
  • in space
  • in sunlight
  • in shadow
  • power low
  • power nominal
  • radiation high
  • radiation nominal
  • signal loss
  • signal re-obtained
  • eva out
  • eva in

Example:

Reveal hidden contents

AAARGH, My Deep Space Vessel has food left for 120days, after this it will be 60 only :P

Can we decide on a final Consumption Rate ? :D

Just now, ShotgunNinja said:

@Jasseji I assume you are referring to the minor realism profile tweaks. Food is consumed twice per-day, but half the amount. The consumption rate per-day hasn't changed.

Didn't check it yet, only now downloading :wink:
Thanks for the update :D

5 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Version 1.1.1 released

Changelog:

Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents
  • scrubber
  • recycler
  • greenhouse
  • gravity ring
  • emitter
  • solar panel
  • generator
  • converter
  • drill
  • light

Hide contents
  • landed
  • in atmosphere
  • in space
  • in sunlight
  • in shadow
  • power low
  • power nominal
  • radiation high
  • radiation nominal
  • signal loss
  • signal re-obtained
  • eva out
  • eva in

Example:

Hide contents

So like totally awesome. Great job ShotgunNinja, and great job on making this mod as incredible as it is. I absolutely love this mod.

I was thinking about running with kOS at some point in the future for its more advanced scripting capabilities, but I will be using your scripting engine for now. Do you know if Kerbalism would have the ability to disable the automation portion if it detects kOS, or is such a consideration even necessary in your opinion?

Have a problem with Kerbalism 1.1.1 With use of Vessels with antenna and execute a EVAs. After returning to the Vessel of Kerbal still appears outside. And you can the Vessel not leaving that's blocking the door. We are sorry for the google English

@inigma Thanks a lot :) Disabling the automation system is not necessary, it is sufficient to not use it as the computation cost is practically zero, even if you use it. I also plan on building a science/data transmission system on top of it, behind the hood. It is more like a lightweight infrastructure I built in preparation, and the scripting came 'for free' as a bonus pretty much.

I got a glitch where my station around kerbin ran out of power for some reason despite the fact that it has plenty of solar panels.  Jeb burned to a crisp because of this, so I reloaded a quick save where this wasn't an issue.  When the save was loaded, I got a warning that the same station was out of power.  When I switched to the station, its EC level was 100%.  There seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

This is with the latest release.

Continuing with my game, I found that the station has depleted most of the batteries on board. I reloaded the vessel, and it was charging at a decent pace, so I turned off the lights that are on board.  I will see if I get the same issue.  Maybe the new lights EC drain is too high?  I wasn't having this issue before the most recent update to Kerbalism.

Hi Shotgun Ninja,

I'm totally enjoying my playthrough with Kerbalism and KCT currently, and I 'm looking forward to the current 1.1.1 update that I am downloading.  Thanks!

I have a request: would it be possible to have a display like the heads up display of KER for the current vessel for radiation, food, oxygen, malfunctions, etc.  I manipulate the KER ones to my own liking and place them at the base of the my screen between the NAV Ball and pitch yaw thing.  It would be really useful to see the stats for the current craft on the left at a glance without having any GUI blocking my view.

Cheers and much peace.

@Kerbal Kommander Lights consume EC in background starting from this version, so maybe that's the cause of your issue.

@theJesuit That's an interesting idea, as I use the KER display in the same way. But is not something that can be implemented fast, as it need ways to be configured. I can't even think where to put the button to open/close it at this point. The ideal solution would be if KER has some kind of API for me to provide new readings for its HUD, that would be perfect. I'll check that.

1 minute ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@theJesuit That's an interesting idea, as I use the KER display in the same way. But is not something that can be implemented fast, as it need ways to be configured. I can't even think where to put the button to open/close it at this point. The ideal solution would be if KER has some kind of API for me to provide new readings for its HUD, that would be perfect. I'll check that.

That makes me happy!  Peace.

2 hours ago, Kerbal Kommander said:

I got a glitch where my station around kerbin ran out of power for some reason despite the fact that it has plenty of solar panels.  Jeb burned to a crisp because of this, so I reloaded a quick save where this wasn't an issue.  When the save was loaded, I got a warning that the same station was out of power.  When I switched to the station, its EC level was 100%.  There seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

This is with the latest release.

I had this same issue before, it turned out that I had installed the "Background processing" mod and it was causing the problem. I just removed it and the problem went away.

@ShotgunNinja I started a new savegame recently and I decided to not use RemoteTech and just live with your implementation of signals, the main thing I miss from RemoteTech is that on mapview it shows a red circle at the position of KSC at Kerbin so you can easily see where it is. Can you please please add that here? :D

Awesome mod, much fun so far. Jeb now glows in the dark :D.

Ran into a bit of a snag when I tried to sort out non-silly food container capacities for Universal Storage though.

Short version: What's up with Kerbalism food container caps, they don't seem to correspond to the relative dimensions of the part models in any way. :huh:

Longer rambling:

Spoiler

Small food container (0.625m) vs Food container (1.25m): stats say 1:5, Mk.1 eyeball thinks it should be more like 1:9.
US food wedge holds only 53 units, yet looks to be ~2x the volume of the (200 unit) small food container?

I could ballance the US parts against one or the other Kerbalism container but not both as the stats of the 1.25 & 0.625 parts don't make sense WRT their apparent volumes...
Come to think of it, the 1.25 & 2.5m part volumes don't make sense either.

Now if one were to almost double the height of the 0.625m food container model (or perhaps make the 1.25m container hollow & CLS passable?), I recon it'd be about right WRT the 1.25m one. Then I could scale the US part from that and all would be close enough, for government work anyway. :wink:

In the mean time, I think I've settled on:
1.25m food container: unchanged (baseline)
0.625m food container: 200 -> 100
US food wedge: 53 -> 200
US oxy wedge: 21672 -> 30000

Still not right WRT to model volumes, but makes for easier multiplication.

As for the 2.5m food container, It sure doesn't look like 10x the volume of the 1.25m part...

The US parts are still quite a bit heavier than their Kerbalism counterparts, but meh, price paid for convenience & funky form-factor.

Thoughts?

Edited by steve_v

55 minutes ago, kR105 said:

@ShotgunNinja I started a new savegame recently and I decided to not use RemoteTech and just live with your implementation of signals, the main thing I miss from RemoteTech is that on mapview it shows a red circle at the position of KSC at Kerbin so you can easily see where it is. Can you please please add that here? :D

Ohhh I remember dat feeling, also walked the same catwalk, my solution was planting a flag (of course being me, didn't consider planting the flag outside the launchpad), so my final solution were 2 beacons at the end of the runaway, it's useful also for landing planes, through I only deploy them when I need them... because accidents.

4 hours ago, avalon666 said:

Have a problem with Kerbalism 1.1.1 With use of Vessels with antenna and execute a EVAs. After returning to the Vessel of Kerbal still appears outside. And you can the Vessel not leaving that's blocking the door. We are sorry for the google English

Try posting in your language.

10 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Version 1.1.1 released

This is awesome, but I keep seeing that oxygen waste in default is called CO2 and in realism is CarbonDioxide, when I first installed kerbalism and was trying out the different profiles this spammed a lot of red ERRs on the log (ship was on orbit).

On 8/26/2016 at 10:42 PM, Kerbos said:

Well that would be another goal I think, but it would also consume some water right?, adding a module into the config scrubber + waterperday should suffice?

Well, I wasn't trying to be Bill Ni the science guy here. I was just hoping to re-spark a discussion on what a greehouse is supposed to do besides the obvious. Just strapping on scrubbers and recyclers is a bandage. SN is likely to have to code something for the greenhouse. For example, the gas exchange for Growth = 1% would be far less then Growth = 80%. I'd guess the same would go for the light and soil issues as well. In the case of the realism profile, you'd have water to deal with. <- 1% crop uses far less water then 80% --> I'd also assume a small amount of 'WasteWater' would likely show up at that.

As it stands, the scrubber and recycler modules won't do the greenhouse any justice. Just say'n...

@avalon666 That bug is subtle and seem to be triggered when more than a few mods add modules to the EVA kerbals, and even then only in some circumstances. The mods that add these modules are: KIS, Kerbalism, and more... There are also reports of similar bugs in unmodded installs in the squad bug tracker not much long ago, so there is the possibility it is not that these mods are doing something wrong, but rather it is some undesired behaviour from KSP. From my side I plan to get rid of the EVA kerbal module, implementing what it does elsewhere.

@steve_v The 0.625m food container is balanced for early game 'minmus' missions, maybe that's what is putting you off. You are right it should be more like 100 food units, but then the player need 2 of them when it want to go to minmus and has only the mk1 pod and no other food container unlocked. For the US parts, I believe they are not that imbalanced at all considering their amounts are not tweaked for any specific mod.

8 hours ago, Kerbos said:

This is awesome, but I keep seeing that oxygen waste in default is called CO2 and in realism is CarbonDioxide, when I first installed kerbalism and was trying out the different profiles this spammed a lot of red ERRs on the log (ship was on orbit).

When this mod switched to CRP, I didn't realize that I could hide a resource in a part specifically without setting the resource as hidden everywhere. So I had to maintain the old CO2 for the default profile. Also the mass was zero in early versions because these were intended to be 'buffers of pseudo-resources' to overcome some limitations in the simulation.

All of this now is not necessary: the resource system doesn't require a waste buffer anymore, and I now tweak visibility of resources in-code, if that's specified in the rule. But I can't change CO2 to CarbonDioxide yet, because that will break savegames. I have a list of savegame-breaking changes thare are waiting for the right occasion to be implemented, and maybe that can be the release of KSP 1.2.0