[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

@RedParadize The documentation about it has improved a bit recently. In addition to the distance/radius, play with the compression/extension parameters. To understand what they do consider that the sampling position X coordinate (the X axis being the body->sun vector) is scaled by the 'compression' value (if X is positive) or by the 'extension' value (if X is negative) before being used to evaluate the signed distance function (eg: to determine if it is inside or outside the belt/pause). So values below 1 will make the shape bigger in that direction, and values above 1 will make it smaller. If you have some specific question don't esitate to ask.

@Arivald Ha'gel Why you think that is a bug? In general is bad practice for a mod to use 'FINAL', that instead is better left to the user own tweaks.

@Arivald Ha'gel That has been in use for the last 16 versions and nobody ever reported it not working. So I assume you have something peculiar in your install that is messing with it. Therefore, it would be useful if you provided me a list of things you have installed that could interfere with it, such as realism tweaks or other profiles or whatever else it could be.

@ShotgunNinja: May I ask you a question? What editor do you use to write the scripts for your mod? Is it NotPad or something else?

@Arivald Ha'gel: It works fine withour final. I even tweaked the greenhouse to do O2 with the standard greenhouse. That works as well. Only thing I can't get rid of is a little shutters issue but I have no problem with that because I ain't a modder.

Edited by PieBue

3 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Arivald Ha'gel That has been in use for the last 16 versions and nobody ever reported it not working. So I assume you have something peculiar in your install that is messing with it. Therefore, it would be useful if you provided me a list of things you have installed that could interfere with it, such as realism tweaks or other profiles or whatever else it could be.

2 hours ago, PieBue said:

@Arivald Ha'gel: It works fine withour final. I even tweaked the greenhouse to do O2 with the standard greenhouse. That works as well. Only thing I can't get rid of is a little shutters issue but I have no problem with that because I ain't a modder.

In my install it doesn't. The same "tweak" with FINAL is used in "Snacks" profile. I'll look into log file once I'm home and in front of KSP. Most likely I'll be able to find the culprit. Should I then add "AFTER" clause for specific mod to Greenhouse reconfiguration in Realism profile?

5 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Arivald Ha'gel That FINAL in snacks profile is not necessary, I just didn't check that file often and so that slipped in from some very early version. I have a question: what exactly doesn't work if you don't add the FINAL statement to the greenhouse?

Let me know what other mod/profile is causing the problem.

Greenhouse context menu was pretty empty. "Growth", "Light", "Waste", "Soil", "Harvest" was empty. Now even with FINAL removed it works ok... so I don't know what was happening. I have removed FINAL from my config, so I'll see it again I'll post log to fileshare.

Minor update, 1.1.2. Changelog:

- replaced tutorial notifications with KSPedia entries
  - added a very small radial oxygen container unlocked at survivability
  - added RadiationOnly and StressOnly profiles
  - updated CLS interface dll
  - balance: food capacity reduced by 50% in 0.625m food container
  - balance: oxygen capacity reduced by 75% in big radial oxygen container  
  - balance: rearrange US goo/matlab in the tech tree for consistency
  - balance: tweak US supply containers capacity  
  - balance: active shield moved to experimental science, made more powerful  
  - fix: body info panel will not break when sun is selected

Acctualy I dont know how save and share log file, but there is some problem.

Today after 1.0.8 version I installed 1.1.1. version and checked that making EVA when returning to ship (boarding) he/she goes in ship, bet the same kerb stays inactive on ladder - duplicates (if I want to change focus to Space center, it notificates, that it cant be done because kerb is on ladder).

Then I went back to 1.0.8, to check bug from this mod or other, with version 1.0.8 all seems ok.

Then I checked new 1.1.2. version, the same bug.

Also I tried version 1.1.0. it was without bug.

@Uldis Unfortunately this bug is related to combinations of some mods such as: KIS, KRASH, Kerbalism, and others... At some point it was happening in unmodded stock games too. Some of the report, such as yours, seem to indicate that the general act of updating mods trigger it in some circumstances, and that make no sense. I'll be damned if I have an idea of what cause it, but I can tell you the day it is discovered we will all go out and drink 500$ Oban Whiskey bottles. Anyway, do this:

• use version 1.1.2
  • start the game, go on EVA, trigger the bug
  • close the game
  • go in KerbalSpaceProgram directory, there is a file named KSP.log
  • upload that file to this site
  • post the link here

Holy smokes... This mod has come a LONG way since I last checked it out.  I think it's time I try it out.  Last time I was actively playing, I had construction time, RT2, DRE, SETI, and a bunch of other hard-mode stuff rolled in.

Here's a screen of my mod collection - any of these known to cause issues with Kerbalism?  And is there a custom tech tree or is it only CTT integration?  I won't be using B9 even though it's in the screen.

Spoiler

dODmXA4.png

Edited by Barklight

http://kr105.com/output_log.zip

I got the bug, I was doing a contract of recoveting a kerbal and after I made the crew transfer from the scrap to my ship I saw everything like normal, then when I applied some delta-v to deorbit I noticed that the kerbal was sliding on the ladder, I tried to press [ and ] to switch to it but I only could change between my ship and the scrap, when I was on my ship the kerbal didn't show on the bottom right of the screen. I then switched to KSC and then to the tracking station and the kerbal showed like it was on EVA but I couldn't click on the "Fly" button as it was greyed, I went back to KSC and back again to the tracking station and this time the "Fly" button was available and I did it on the kerbal but when the flight mode showed up the kerbal was inside my ship and it now showed on the bottom right like just nothing happened. I went back to KSC and a message saying "Vessel Kathdie Kerman was not loaded because it had the following parts missing: unknownPart". After going back to flight mode everything looked like normal, I then changed my orbit just to be sure and the kerbal didn't drop off the ship so I took the log file and uploaded it here.

TLDR: I got the bug, here is the log file.

Edited by kR105

@kR105 Thanks, here is what I've found.

First, exceptions are thrown inside the stock KerbalEVA module when re-entering from EVA:

Spoiler

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Part.TransferResource (.PartResource resource, Double amount, .Part other) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalEVA.UpdatePackFuel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalEVA.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:GetComponentFastPath (System.Type,intptr)
  at UnityEngine.Component.GetComponent[Animation] () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalAnimationManager.SyncAnimationLayers () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalEVA.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Then, some time later there is some issue with module indexes on the pod in question, probably related.

Spoiler

[Part]: PartModule TransferDialogSpawner at mk1pod, index 22: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.
Looking for TransferDialogSpawner in other indices... 
...no TransferDialogSpawner module found on part definition. Skipping...
PartModule is null.

Now I believe the problem is related to mods adding custom modules to EVA Kerbals. In the case of this mod that can be avoided (with some work...) so in next version I'll do that and see if the reports of this issue related to Kerbalism stop.

I don't know if this is relevant or related to that particular bug, but if you're using KIS and KAS you can carry around a backpack called EVA-X, and there's a bug when you put that backpack inside a cargo container and with the kerbal inside the ship you put it in your inventory and then EVA, the backpack won't show like it should (backpack on inventory should appear as "equipped" and visually carried by the kerbal), then you hop inside the ship again and you end up with a clone outside the ship, the original kerbal will be inside the ship without picture on the right corner, if you go to KSC you won't be able to select either the kerbal or the ship, after a few jumps between KSC and the ship everything will be back to normal (except the kerbal's inventory, sometimes you lose stuffs).

@ShotgunNinja , I'm afraid there are still problems with oxygen consumption. After you told me to update to 1.1.1 and to set CO2 to zero in save file, everything worked for a while, but now suddenly, in my station, oxygen reads "perpetual" again - and this time, setting CO2 to zero doesn't help anymore. Sometimes it changes into "368 days", but doesn't diminish either. What's more, food consumption is stuck on 33 days and 5 hours, and not moving, even though there are Kerbals on the station. Also, I got numerous failures on my probes - engine, solar panels, etc. Like a dozen failures in a single Kerbin day. Way more than usual. Something is definitely off. I didn't make any changes in my mod list or settings, all worked fine until yesterday, when suddenly, things went bizarre - food, oxygen consumption froze, probes went haywire.

This is my save file (persistent):

Save file

This is my log:

Log

My mod list hasn't changed. Could you please take a look and tell if you see the cause?

P.S. I tried updating to 1.1.2 version you just released, but it didn't make any changes.

1 minute ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@aluc24 Ok I found an issue with the computer system. Probably that's the cause for the problems with background simulation. Stand by for a debug build so we see if that fixes it.

That was quick! If I may ask, what kind of issue?

@aluc24 If two vessels had the same name, and were connected to another vessel, two files with the same filename were generated in the vessel computer as 'net/{vessel name}'. That in turn caused an exception in the middle of the main loop, that in turn prevented the simulation of most stuff.

Replace the Kerbalism.dll with this one.

8 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@aluc24 If two vessels had the same name, and were connected to another vessel, two files with the same filename were generated in the vessel computer as 'net/{vessel name}'. That in turn caused an exception in the middle of the main loop, that in turn prevented the simulation of most stuff.

Replace the Kerbalism.dll with this one.

It seems to have fixed the issue. Thank you very much. I'll keep an eye on it, and report if there are any more troubles. By the way, is it normal for food/oxygen consumption prediction to jump around with time acceleration? For example, it fluctuates between 33 days, then 8 days, then 16 days, 11, then 33 again when I turn off acceleration... Just worried if Kerbals won't die in a split second during acceleration if the prediction drops down to zero for some reason.

1 minute ago, aluc24 said:

is it normal for food/oxygen consumption prediction to jump around with time acceleration? For example, it fluctuates between 33 days, then 8 days, then 16 days, 11, then 33 again when I turn off acceleration... Just worried if Kerbals won't die in a split second during acceleration if the prediction drops down to zero for some reason.

Does it happen only for the active vessel, and not for unloaded ones? Can you confirm this?

That was 'normal' in the past, but I went to great lengths to fix it and it is not supposed to happen anymore. However I only have total control over the background simulation, while for loaded vessels I only have control of my own modules. During timewarp blending (immediately after the user change warp speed) there is instability in the simulation of stock resource consumer/producers. So you get the estimates to 'dance' a bit, as they are reflecting exactly what's happening to the resources (during the instability). What I do then is this: I detect when the timewarp is blending and wait for it to stabilize before updating the estimates, 'hiding' this whole shebang from the user. Try this other DLL that increase the time I wait after blending and tell me if the estimates appear more stable. (I'm totally abusing you now :))

1 minute ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Does it happen only for the active vessel, and not for unloaded ones? Can you confirm this?

That was 'normal' in the past, but I went to great lengths to fix it and it is not supposed to happen anymore. However I only have total control over the background simulation, while for loaded vessels I only have control of my own modules. During timewarp blending (immediately after the user change warp speed) there is instability in the simulation of stock resource consumer/producers. So you get the estimates to 'dance' a bit, as they are reflecting exactly what's happening to the resources (during the instability). What I do then is this: I detect when the timewarp is blending and wait for it to stabilize before updating the estimates, 'hiding' this whole shebang from the user. Try this other DLL that increase the time I wait after blending and tell me if the estimates appear more stable. (I'm totally abusing you now :))

You're not abusing, I'm happy to help :D You're making and maintaining a wonderful mod, available for free, so the least I can do is report issues and try this and that. I noticed this thing in Space Center (I often time-warp a lot in Space Center, with Planner windows open to keep track of the mission supply status). I now tried warping with my station active. The estimates for it are not dancing, but then again, I can't go over 50x in that altitude.

Now I tried the same thing with the new dll. The estimates still dance wildly at Space Center... Anything else I should try?