name = Radiation
  degeneration = 1.0 // just use the modifier
  variance = 0.1 // add per-kerbal variance
  modifier = radiation

warning_threshold = 25.0
  danger_threshold = 37.5
  fatal_threshold = 50.0

warning_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL has been exposed to intense radiation
  danger_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is reporting symptoms of radiation poisoning
  fatal_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL died after being exposed to extreme radiation
  relax_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL has recovered from radiation exposure
}

// Remove resource-related parts
!PART[kerbalism-*] {}
!PART[Greenhouse] {}
!PART[GravityRing] {}

Thanks and I just make this the default.cfg  Correct?

@gamerscircle You could do that, but then risk to lose it when the mod is updated. Instead:

• rename the file Profiles/Default.cfg to Profiles/Default.cfg-disabled, or just delete it, to disable the default profile.
  • put the content of the custom one in a file with extension .cfg anywhere inside GameData

@ss8913 Unfortunately Interstellar has a lot of modules, a custom electric charge resource, and complex ISRU. It is also constantly evolving. Supporting it in the background simulation will be a major effort. I mean serious work: I will have to basically reimplement it for unloaded vessels, as I've done with the supported mods. However, these had a couple of modules at best and were relatively stable. So I'll be frank and say that I don't see me implementing background simulation for Interstellar any time soon, if ever. Maybe when I exaust the other things I'm planning to implement I'll look into supporting some of its modules.

@gamerscircle The mod will pick it from any file with extension .cfg, anywhere inside the GameData directory. So you could store it in GameData/my_custom_profile.cfg for instance. Anywhere you like as long as it is inside GameData and has the .cfg extension.

Changing extension to something else than .cfg (like .cfg-disabled or .whatever) is just a simple way to have the file not parsed, without deleting it.

Okay...I think I got it.. all of the profiles do have the -disabled and I just copied and pasted that you supplied into a new .cfg file and it seems to be working..  I can see the link  [little green line] on the map.  

Sorry if I seem dense, I have been playing for a year, but clueless to the inner working of how the mods and .cfg files work. :)

@bananashavings Essentially, there are two things you can configure: features and rules.

Features are things like Malfunction or Signal. Rules are things that determine what resource kerbals consume, and how they die.

Both features and rules are defined in what I call 'profiles': these are just glorified .cfg files. The installation already include a set of profiles inside the Kerbalism/Profiles directory. All of them are disabled by default, except the one called 'Default.cfg'.

There are these profiles included:

• Default: enable all features and contain rules for food, oxygen, radiation and quality-of-life
  • Realism: like default, but with water
  • TAC: emulate TAC-LS
  • Snacks: emulate Snacks!
  • Barebone: only enable radiation and quality-of-life
  • RadiationOnly: only enable radiation
  • StressOnly: only enable quality-of-life

I suggest you look into the Default.cfg profile to see how it work, is very easy. At the top you got the features:

@Kerbalism:FOR[EnableSignal] {}

@Kerbalism:FOR[EnableReliability] {}

@Kerbalism:FOR[EnableScrubber] {}

@Kerbalism:FOR[EnableShielding] {}

Just delete or comment out the lines with the features you don't want.

Then, immediately after, you got the rules:

Rule
{
  name = Climate
  [...]
}

Rule
{
  name = Food
  [...]
}

Rule
{
  name = Oxygen
  [...]
}

Rule
{
  name = Stress
  [...]
}

Rule
{
  name = Radiation
  [...]
}

Just delete the ones you don't want, or change their values, or create new rules.

@inigma It is possible, by just adding an Entertainment module to those parts like this:

@PART[KIS_ghettoblaster]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = Entertainment
    rate = 1.1
    description = Pump up the volume, maybe you'll be able to ear in vacuum.
  }
}

Note that they will not provide entertainment when stored inside a KIS container. Also, if you are using CLS they will not be detected as being part of any internal space and so they'll not provide any entertainment. I'll think of something to fix it for next version.

@lajoswinkler Could you provide more details?

6 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Ever since I've installed Kerbalism, my solar panels very often don't want to charge the batteries. Does anyone have this problem?

Yup, show energy flow, but appears to be locked up, and isn't actually charging.

I have a lander in munar orbit - the planner says battery: perpetual, as does the details pane in the tracking station... but when I switch to it I get 28 minutes??

Even on the pad - Batteries: 1 hr + change... in direct sunlight. Right-click menu on the (fixed) solar panels shows EC being generated.

Ed. Huh, mod conflict... with jettison fuel , of all things. Any ideas why? All that mod contains is a single .cfg with:

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE,!MODULE[ModuleFuelJettison]]
{
   MODULE
   {
       name = ModuleFuelJettison
   }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ProceduralPart],!MODULE[ModuleFuelJettison]]
{
   MODULE
   {
   }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[ModuleFuelJettison]]
{
   MODULE
   {
   }
}

Ed. .Ed.: Still having EC problems, solar panels are now producing power (sans jettison)... but I have far greater drain than the planner would suggest. Not sure what's going on here.
Kerbalism monitor in the tracking station shows "perpetual", but when I switch to the vessel I see ~1hr... everything I can turn off is off, so any way to see what is using EC?
When in the dark, tracking station: 1h, 18m, in flight: 18m.

Edited by steve_v

@steve_v

38 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Kerbalism monitor in the tracking station shows "perpetual", but when I switch to the vessel I see ~1hr..

It could be that on the vessel is present some EC consumer that I do not simulate in background (or in the planner). Or a bug. Need the usual log/save to find out.

39 minutes ago, steve_v said:

any way to see what is using EC?

No, but you can set ShowRates to true in Settings.cfg to see the overall consumption/production rates for the vessel, in the info window. That may help perhaps.

40 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Huh, mod conflict... with jettison fuel , of all things. Any ideas why? All that mod contains is a single .cfg 

Still having EC problems, solar panels are now producing power (sans jettison)...

I have no idea.

Well, it's definitely something screwey in my save... hyperediting the same vessel into the same orbit == no problems detected. :huh:

This all started when I installed JettisonFuel... but then I have manually removed  all mention of ModuleFuelJettison from that save file, so ??
Nevermind, I'll just roll back to prelaunch on this mission.

Ed. Nope, nope, nope.

@ShotgunNinja: Found my mystery EC drain... It's the "Display" on the Dmagic/UniversalStorage PressMat / 2Hot part. what? it's switched on when you take a reading, and uses more EC than life support. :confused:
Might want to patch this out:

@PART[dmUSPresTemp]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
  {
     @MODULE[DMEnviroSensor]
     {
     @powerConsumption = 0.0
     }
}

Suspect it's actually a bug in DMagic, as the other sensor (pressure) on that part doesn't eat EC.

Edited by steve_v

36 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

You probably want to send a bug report to the author of Orbital Science.

Done.

37 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Kerbalism does nothing to the DMEnviroSensor module.

No, but it does muck with EC values. The EC consumption of that part, while unusual, isn't a problem in stock. I doubt Orbital Science will be the only mod that falls afoul of your rebalancing.

@steve_v The fact is that sensor is consuming 0.2 ec/s. Stock sensors consume 0.0075 ec/s. So it is consuming 26 times more than the stock sensors. It is consuming a big portion of a small fixed panel in stock. Don't know if that is intentional. Maybe nobody noticed in stock because EC is practically irrelevant there.

If I could restart this mod from the beginning I would certainly spare me the pain that derived from reducing panel outputs by a factor of 4.

2 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Don't know if that is intentional.

I doubt it, have to wait and see what DMagic has to say on that though.

3 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Maybe nobody noticed in stock because EC is practically irrelevant there.

I certainly didn't, been using Orbital Science a long time and never noticed the excessive EC use.

I figure it may be useful to brainstorm about what I'm doing in these days. While some stuff is waiting for KSP 1.2, I'm looking at the sorry state of ISRU and got a plan to make it more interesting. It is central to life support for missions beyond the home system. It is central for fuel on manned missions that plan to actually return home. The stock ISRU system is: trivial, boring, not interesting, doesn't teach anything. Only good thing are the parts. If you don't agree then feel free to virtually append IMO to my sentences whenever you see fit.

First, I just finished a 'selector module' that can be added to part and allow selecting between modules in the VAB, sort of like InterstellarFuelSwitch but for modules. It can enable 1 to N modules, and has a simple UI to select them.

Then I refactored the stock ISRU converters. I wiped out the existing conversions and replaced them with chemical reactions I found in ISRU literature such as: molten regolith electrolysis, solid oxide electrolysis, sabatier, etc. Still working the numbers.

Also, I found out about PLANETARY_RESOURCE & company. Useful stuff, I wonder why stock don't really use it more. Also found out that the atmospheric harvesting is broken in stock. I guess nobody is really using that. Not surprising that some mods developed their own atmospheric harvesting modules.

So the plan is for the user to select one or more chemical processes from the available ones, in the VAB, and assign them to the ISRU converters. Similar thing to assign resources to extract to drills. The small versions got 1 module they can select, the big ones 2 or 3. And I got the idea of re-using the atmospheric analysis experiment part as an atmospheric harvester. Seems ideal. I would like to find one part that may be used as oceanic harvester too, but doesn't seem to be anything in stock that look like one.

What's left to decide is what kind of ISRU processes are interesting, what body should provide what resource and where, and how to do all of this without adding other resources. Except maybe Hydrogen. I would like to keep the LiquidFuel as a representation of Kerosene/Methane if possible. Oh, and I started reading Ignition!, later to be followed by The Martian, to kickstart me into the subjects.

Really like the idea of the selectable processes. Efficiency could be then impacted by research and maybe scientist/engineer skill level? Ven's Revamp has an excellent atmospheric sensor model, kind looks like a muscle car intake - having something in that vein for atmospheric collector would be cool. There were also some scoops in RoverDude's Karbonite pack, so maybe that for inspiration as well?

In CRP there's already Hydrogen and LqdHydrogen (From NFT). There's also tons of stuff from RealFuels in there, so maybe using that would make more sense when striving for realism?

There are also couple of nice part ideas in 

@Yaar Podshipnik I will be using the stock ModuleResourceConverter like now, except that you select one or more of them in the VAB. Making my own converter would have been possible, but in this way I can support other converters added by mods: they'll just appear on the list of available chemical processes.

So trait and experience level can just be specified in the module config of the converter, like it is in stock. But I would not be using that for the processes I'm adding.

Unfortunately reseach can't be used to effect the efficiency, as the stock converter doesn't have that feature. Perhaps I could hack together something to only unlock certain modules after a technology has been discovered... that's not terribly hard to do.

I'm going to leverage CRP as much as I can. The part packs you mention could definitely get an MM patch to have the 'module selector' and a common set of processes.

screenshot12.png

Also, animation of how it work.

Edited by ShotgunNinja