[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

@Antonio432 If RemoteTech is installed, the signal system is disabled. This unfortunately mean that you don't get signal blackouts when a CME hit a planetary system.

@herman I'm confident that is not related to this mod. Maybe some other mod is causing it, or your KSP install is messed up. To confirm what I say, try to reproduce it with only Kerbalism and its dependencies installed.

4 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@herman I'm confident that is not related to this mod. Maybe some other mod is causing it, or your KSP install is messed up. To confirm what I say, try to reproduce it with only Kerbalism and its dependencies installed.

Thanks for the input, I'll give it a go.

1 hour ago, Yaar Podshipnik said:

@ShotgunNinjado you have any plans to include modifiable reactions in the fuel cells? I feel that having them be capable of just Lf+O into electricity is a bit boring. RLE Stock Alike had a monoprop-to-EC cells, but that's doesn't sound realistic either...

Sorry missed this post somehow.

Absolutely, the stock fuel cell will work like real alkaline fuel cells: Hydrogen + Oxygen => Water + EC. I'm also thinking of adding the reverse mode (that fuel cells can operate on, as far as I know on the matter), that being Water + EC => Hydrogen + Oxygen. The latter is equivalent to the 'Elektron' kind of hardware. I still don't know if I should also mess with the state of the substances: both Hydrogen and Oxygen inputs can be liquid in some fuel cells (always AFAIK, I'm still learning this myself). There is also the problem that is driving me mad: what the heck is Oxidizer and if it is liquid oxygen how to make the overlap with life support manageable.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

2 hours ago, Yaar Podshipnik said:

Maybe take a leap forward and replace all fuels with something that makes sense? Like Real Fuels but on smaller scale. Then there won't be any problems about what is is LF or OX.

I through about that, I've extended the 'selector' module to also deal with resources so it could technically be used to configure tanks. And engines.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

2 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I redownloaded KSP and installed a clean copy of the mod via CKAN. Your mod is fine alone. Looking closer, it turns out that the same antenna shows up multiple times in my modded tech tree. One unlock doesn't unlock the antenna and the other does.

This is strange, but playable, and I have no reason to think your mod is the issue.  Thanks for taking the time to develop this great mod, and respond to my weird questions!

@ShotgunNinja That ocean/atmospheric thing explains it... It's Asclepius, a modded planet. Has both an oxygenated atmosphere and an ocean, but the atmosphere is very thin. I don't think those factors would affect the radiation absorption in real life, so you should base the calculation on the given planet's atmospheric curve. That would be much more realistic and accurate. I could also just make a radiation profile for the rest of the planets adding atmosphere stuff.

And yeah, I don't think the calculations are not correct at all. Kerbin has a 70km atmosphere plus oceans and oxygen, but absorbs 99% of radiation, while Asclepius absorbs all radiation.

Edited by BashGordon33

@Thegamer211 I noticed a similar problem a few days ago, the stock highlighting system (that I'm using to show the malfunctions) start throwing exceptions if the vessel contain broken solar panels (as in, stock broken like the panels fell off due to impacts). I got a fix in next version, that I'll release in a few days. Meanwhile, as a workaround,  toggle off 'show malfunctions' in the vessel config panel for that vessel.

@alex_1313 Click on the vessel in the monitor window (on the top right), then disable the warnings you don't want for that vessel.

I just updated to the latest Kerbalism 1.1.3 from 1.0.8 after not playing since early Aug. Now my Kerbals on Mun keep dying due to running out of electricity when I time warp. Even if I turn on debug unlimited electricity it doesn't help. I wasn't having this problem earlier and haven't added any new mods, but I have updated a few. Any idea whats causing this?

Edited by Gerbwerz

31 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Gerbwerz Looking at the changelog from 1.0.8 to current version, the only thing that can be responsible is that starting from 1.1.1 lights consume EC in background. Can that apply to your case?

Actually I noted after reading back posts here, that this is occuring on my SSTU ships. So I think its related to how that mods solar panels work. That was one of the mods I updated today as well. Perhaps there has been an increased incompatibility introduced there over the last month. Ill pay around some more and see if its really isolated to those ships. Thanks for the quick reply. 

30 minutes ago, Gerbwerz said:

Actually I noted after reading back posts here, that this is occuring on my SSTU ships. So I think its related to how that mods solar panels work. That was one of the mods I updated today as well. Perhaps there has been an increased incompatibility introduced there over the last month. Ill pay around some more and see if its really isolated to those ships. Thanks for the quick reply. 

Spoke too soon. It happens with my other ships and bases as well. Not sure whats going on.

Version 1.1.4 released.

Changelog

Spoiler

- replaced Malfunction with Reliability module
    - support multiple reliability modules per-part and per-component    
    - RCS, Greenhouse, GravityRing and ActiveShield can malfunction
    - Antennas can't malfunction anymore
    - can specify trait and experience level required for repair
    - disabled automatically if TestFlight is detected
  - new module PlannerController: permit to include or exclude part modules
    from the planner calculations using a toggle in right-click UI in the VAB
  - entertainment modules can be configured to ignore internal space  
  - add some Entertainment to Ven Stock Revamp small inflatable hab (YaarPodshipnik)
  - SurfaceExperimentPackage science tweaks patch (YaarPodshipnik)
  - telemetry experiment is added coherently to all probes (YaarPodshipnik)
  - geiger counter science definitions for NewHorizon (BashGordon33)    
  - entertainment added to Space Station Part Expansion cupolas and habitats
  - some KIS items provide a small amount of entertainment
  - fix: solar panel malfunctions were not applied in loaded vessels
  - fix: malfunction highlights throwing exception in some circumstances
  - fix: relativistic time dilation when orbit is not properly set
  - fix: better approximation for atmospheric gamma absorption

Reliability

The malfunction module has been replaced with one named 'Reliability', that support multiple components per-part. EVA repairs now can require a specific trait and level of experience. RCS thrusters, Greenhouses, Gravity Rings and Active Shields can malfunction.

image.png

PlannerController

This new module can be added to a part to allow the inclusion/exclusion of it for the planner estimation calculations. Right click on the part in the VAB and click on the button to consider or ignore it.This is useful for those kind of components where deducing the state in the editor was not possible (eg: converters and harvesters) or when it was tricky and not obvious to the user (eg: extended SCANsat scanners).

Edited by ShotgunNinja

I have three noob questions.

1.)  Can I add shielding after the fact, in other words a station was setup and has none at the moment.
2.) I am running 1.1.3 or kerbalism and have a custom. cfg, will upgrading break anything?
3.) Going to save this one for a follow up noob question.

Alright, I will add that change, it would seem I might have been too late and lost a couple of kerbals.  I am looking through my tech tree and I don't see any "shielding"  am I missing something?  I am using PAP's historical R&d.

Edited by gamerscircle

14 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

Alright, I will add that change, it would seem I might have been too late and lost a couple of kerbals.  I am looking through my tech tree and I don't see any "shielding"  am I missing something?  I am using PAP's historical R&d.

Shielding is a resource on habitable pods, so you need to right click on them in the VAB and then set the shielding level like you would the fuel level.

Playing within the solar system I can't really figure out what shielding does though, it certainly hasn't been necessary for my mun/minmus missions. Maybe you need it for interplanetary stuff.

Edited by herman

19 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Gerbwerz Looking at the changelog from 1.0.8 to current version, the only thing that can be responsible is that starting from 1.1.1 lights consume EC in background. Can that apply to your case?

The EC expended for lights doesn't seem to show up in AmpYear.  I assume these are internal lights and not just external spots? 

I see that ver 1.3.2.0 of AmpYear added:

Added EC usage support for Kerbalism mod parts - Scrubber, Greenhouse, GravityRing (basic as some parts do not expose EC usage currently, ESP Shutdown only support for these parts). 

AmpYear darkside calcs show that my ships and bases should have way more than enough to survive a mun night, but they keep running out during high warp. Its as if no power generation is taking place during high warp day night cycle.

Do you plan to support AmpYear auto shutdown? Looks like EC usage needs to be exposed per the above.

Also it doesn't seem Kerbalism respects the KSP Debug cheat of unlimited EC. Is that correct?

thank you for your mod and support,

-r