[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

@Gerbwerz 

16 minutes ago, Gerbwerz said:

AmpYear darkside calcs show that my ships and bases should have way more than enough to survive a mun night

Have you ever considered the possibility that AmpYear is wrong? Use the Planner and Vessel Info to get that information.

17 minutes ago, Gerbwerz said:

but they keep running out during high warp. Its as if no power generation is taking place during high warp day night cycle.

Prove it to me. 99% of these reports turns out the problem is somewhere else, but each one initially blame high timewarp shenanigans for some reason. Let me be clear on this: high timewarp resource consumption/production has been fixed 10 versions ago. You need to prove to me that is not the case, or I'm afraid I'll have to ignore your report.

17 minutes ago, Gerbwerz said:

Do you plan to support AmpYear auto shutdown? Looks like EC usage needs to be exposed per the above.

If a mod want to shut down one of my modules, is not that hard. Each one of them expose a public property that regulate its state. For example, to shut down the scrubber it only suffice to set Scrubber.is_enabled to false. That can be done by reflection pretty easily. Anyway if you want to turn on/off components when EC level get low/high, have a look at Automation.

25 minutes ago, Gerbwerz said:

Also it doesn't seem Kerbalism respects the KSP Debug cheat of unlimited EC. Is that correct?

That's correct: the background simulation of resources ignore the 'unlimited EC' flag.

3 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Gerbwerz 

Have you ever considered the possibility that AmpYear is wrong? Use the Planner and Vessel Info to get that information.

Prove it to me. 99% of these reports turns out the problem is somewhere else, but each one initially blame high timewarp shenanigans for some reason. Let me be clear on this: high timewarp resource consumption/production has been fixed 10 versions ago. You need to prove to me that is not the case, or I'm afraid I'll have to ignore your report.

If a mod want to shut down one of my modules, is not that hard. Each one of them expose a public property that regulate its state. For example, to shut down the scrubber it only suffice to set Scrubber.is_enabled to false. That can be done by reflection pretty easily. Anyway if you want to turn on/off components when EC level get low/high, have a look at Automation.

That's correct: the background simulation of resources ignore the 'unlimited EC' flag.

Apologies, I didn't mean to imply that your mod was wrong. I am sure if I uninstall my umpteen mods and run only Kerbalism it will work flawlessly. I am sure its a mod incompatibility with some other mod I have installed. I am just trying to figure out whats changed since I updated last  around 8/11 and to learn if others know what the incompatibility is might be. Because it used to work just fine with no problems with my particular mod set (which is HUGE). Ill do more experimentation and report back if I find anything. Ill also post on other mods to see if anyone there knows.

@Gerbwerz Ok, do this:

• set ShowRates to true in Settings.cfg
  • create a vessel in the VAB, put components similar to the one giving you the problem
  • use the Planner in the VAB, set body and situation equal to the ones you want (eg: Mun, landed)
  • check in the Planner environment panel how long the night-side last (shadow time)
  • click on the little sun icon until is black, and check in the Planner EC panel how long the batteries are estimated to last
  • launch that vessel, and put it in the situation and body you want (eg: Mun, landed)
  • open the Vessel Info window for that vessel (right click on the vessel name in the Monitor, top right of screen)
  • check if the EC level is consistent with what the Planner told you, both when the vessel is loaded and when it unloaded
  • post log, savegame and screenshots

17 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:
54 minutes ago, Gerbwerz said:

AmpYear darkside calcs show that my ships and bases should have way more than enough to survive a mun night

I checked the Kerbalism planner for my  mun space station and its says there should be a life expectancy of 1h 26m on the night side of Mun. What altitude of orbit is that for? Im at a 60KM'ish orbit which is roughly a 15 min transit. 1.63/s usage would need about 1500 EC. The ship has a 8515 capacity. That should be more than enough to make it.

I will follow the steps you just posted and report back. 

Thanks for the update and the bugfixes that come with it, but I think the KIS items entertainment bonus doesn't exactly work:

98783bfc70df5378318bba68f27d6c4c.png

In hangar, whenever they are added or not the entertainment doesn't increase at all, probably because they are in a KIS inventory rather than on the craft.

bf704ddef4957df40171aa7709bf295f.png

Neat descriptions tho :sticktongue:

Edited by Thegamer211

I've noticed the atmospheres of stock planetary bodies (at least two of them) are incorrect after the last two Kerbalism updates. Duna should have an atmosphere of 50 km, and Eve should have 90 km.

Instead, my Duna has 70 km, and Eve has 50 km atmosphere.

Did something change in stock game I was unaware of or is this something else?

8 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Gerbwerz Ok, do this:

• set ShowRates to true in Settings.cfg
  • create a vessel in the VAB, put components similar to the one giving you the problem
  • use the Planner in the VAB, set body and situation equal to the ones you want (eg: Mun, landed)
  • check in the Planner environment panel how long the night-side last (shadow time)
  • click on the little sun icon until is black, and check in the Planner EC panel how long the batteries are estimated to last
  • launch that vessel, and put it in the situation and body you want (eg: Mun, landed)
  • open the Vessel Info window for that vessel (right click on the vessel name in the Monitor, top right of screen)
  • check if the EC level is consistent with what the Planner told you, both when the vessel is loaded and when it unloaded
  • post log, savegame and screenshots

Pics are at http://imgur.com/a/BJMPz

Save and logs are here in Kerbalism issues folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xc9rh7zv99tebn4/AAC_fEQPGYcwwr5XCCkItqXEa?dl=0

Appears to be using more EC on orbit than forecasted in the VAB. Even at higher rate the batteries should easily last the shadow transit time. It appears to degrade over the time of several days.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

-r

7 hours ago, crapstar said:

@Gerbwerz @ShotgunNinja Amp year is definitely wrong. i have the same issue where AY grossly over calculated the required charge. Planner was spot on.

6 hours ago, Vlyan said:

i can confirm this, i used AY recently and won't work as expected too :wink:

I can see that AY is reporting different values. But in this case Kerbalism planner is under forecasting what is actually being consumed on orbit. I am pretty sure its some other mod causing this and not Kerbalism, but I haven't been able to track it down yet.

I've been using this with Dark Multiplayer... can't report any obvious problems thusfar but I may be deluded on this point.  I was previously an acolyte of TAC Life support, which is genuinely great and more detailed in respect to the resource management... but what sold Kerbalism to me was the all-in-one, part failure, psychological needs and environmental hazzards stuff.

Edited by Senior Slaphead

@ShotgunNinja

I'd like to add support for the Atomic Age mod to Kerbalism via a patch file that adds ionizing radiation to the nuclear engines. For balance purposes, here are the values I'm proposing:

Engine Name Vac. Thrust (kN) rads/hour
LV-N (for reference) 60 0.01
Nuclear Turbojet 0 (105 at 1 atm.) 0.015
"Candle" Radioisotope Rocket 3 0*
LANTERN Engine 45 0.08
CCG-7 Nuclear Lightbulb 450 0.03**

*Since the Radioisotope generator does not emit any radiation and really, who is going to use this on a manned ship anyway?
**A Nuclear Lightbulb engine design does not emit radioactive exhaust, which I believe justifies it's lower radiation emissions compared to it's thrust

Would you be open to a pull request with appropriate cfg files?

@Yaar Podshipnik I'll have to get my hands on KSP 1.2 first to be sure, but chances are KerbNet is a waypoint manager and a map data viewer. It seem to be unrelated to the stock signal system except for the fact that the map viewer is disabled if the vessel has no link. This I inferred only from a video I saw, so I could be terribly wrong about it.

On 9/12/2016 at 2:29 AM, crapstar said:

@Gerbwerz @ShotgunNinja Amp year is definitely wrong. i have the same issue where AY grossly over calculated the required charge. Planner was spot on.

On 9/12/2016 at 4:22 AM, Vlyan said:

i can confirm this, i used AY recently and won't work as expected too :wink:

21 hours ago, Gerbwerz said:

I can see that AY is reporting different values. But in this case Kerbalism planner is under forecasting what is actually being consumed on orbit. I am pretty sure its some other mod causing this and not Kerbalism, but I haven't been able to track it down yet.

If this is trully the case, has anyone bothered to bring this up with @JPLRepo?... I dont see anyting on the AmpYear thread about this...?? He might like to know if there IS an issue, especially since he lists Kerbalism as a supported mod in his OP.

Edited by Stone Blue

9 hours ago, awsumindyman said:

Will the whole broadcasting/transmiting mecahnic be removed/changed for KSP 1.2?

I don't know yet. Need to try the stock system first, but there are pro and con on keeping or removing it.

Remove it:

• less work for me in the long run
  • most people are using RemoteTech anyway
  • stock system is relatively similar
  • probably not trivial to adapt to KSP 1.2

Keep it:

• i have plans to extend the system with A* pathfinding and background data transmission
  • very good performances
  • alias-free 3d line rendering
  • lot of work went into it already (this is a petty reason in reality)
Edited by ShotgunNinja

Well goddamn it, almost a month without playing and still got a ton of work to do, bloody hate my rookie coworkers [triggered].

noplay.jpg

Also, the new stock antenna pack is pretty much the same as Kerbalism but it does have a better and clearer way to show antenna range and efficiency. I think you should still keep the kerbalism relay system while taking advantage of the new 1.2 features, mostly because keeping it will allow you (I think) to set a tight control over radiation storms and blackouts.

Could you make a "hard mode" for malfunctions, using the things that DangIt/Entropy and Kerbal Mechanics implemented?

Below is a list of things it had; I'll bold the things I would like to see most. Hopefully you can implement their code, should you get permission.

Spoiler
  • Alternator failure for engines
  • Battery short circuits
  • Control surfaces sticking
  • Coolant lines failing for engines
  • Decouplers failing to separate
  • Complete engine failure/refusal to start up
  • Gimbal sticking
  • Air intake failure
  • RCS failing/sticking
  • Reaction wheels stopping
  • Tank leaks