[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

This is a really awesome mod! I'm working on a patch that makes Kerbals consume Snacks instead of food, and a Kitchen part to cook crops the greenhouse makes into Snacks :). It will also add signal delay to probe control, except stuff like attitude control doesn't have a delay because it would be handled by the probe's onboard computer. It will also add more parts that make your crew happy.

With a mod as intensive as this, I wouldn't be surprised if it is quite a bit of work to get it 1.2 compatible, not to mention some of the things he wants to add.  This is my single favorite mod and I am happy to wait for @ShotgunNinja to get it where he feels it's ready.  If you rush an artist, the artwork will not be as good. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, that´s right. He made a very complex mod here. That ist very much work, and at the end it´s a beautifull mod. When this one here ist updatet i only need three more mods for my complete mod-list to be updatet. Very well done to date :):) I hope you can bring everything you are planing into reality :)

On the subject of Kerbals dying at high warp due to lack of EC, this is what I noticed.  If I immediately switch to the vessel, the solar panels are often not aligned to the sun, i.e. they haven't rotated to have the EV side facing the sun.  Then the panels quickly rotate and the system re-calculates at full EC.  This is a station on a equatorial orbit, positioned facing normal, with the panels in line with the star/sun.  As the planet progresses in it's orbit, the panels eventually end up facing opposite what they need to, as when the ship is inactive, the angle of the panels do not update.

Imagine a clock face with the planet at 12 o'clock, and the star at the center.  You set up your station as described, and the generating side of the panels is facing towards 6 o'clock.  As the planet progresses to the 6 o'clock position, the panels do not re-align as the station is unloaded.  Once the planet reaches the 6 o'clock position, the generating side of the panels are facing directly away from the star at the center, generating 0 EC.

2 hours ago, Straycatt said:

On the subject of Kerbals dying at high warp due to lack of EC, this is what I noticed.  If I immediately switch to the vessel, the solar panels are often not aligned to the sun, i.e. they haven't rotated to have the EV side facing the sun.  Then the panels quickly rotate and the system re-calculates at full EC.  This is a station on a equatorial orbit, positioned facing normal, with the panels in line with the star/sun.  As the planet progresses in it's orbit, the panels eventually end up facing opposite what they need to, as when the ship is inactive, the angle of the panels do not update.

Imagine a clock face with the planet at 12 o'clock, and the star at the center.  You set up your station as described, and the generating side of the panels is facing towards 6 o'clock.  As the planet progresses to the 6 o'clock position, the panels do not re-align as the station is unloaded.  Once the planet reaches the 6 o'clock position, the generating side of the panels are facing directly away from the star at the center, generating 0 EC.

Does Kerbalism's background simulation even consider panel angle? I've also never seen it actually say 0 EC when I switch - as far as I can tell the stock resource system never thinks I'm out.

@Schtiebuu I did most of the hard coding. Need to finalize how the user interact with pressure and the habitats. I refactored the rule system and how profiles are specified. Also I finally managed to made the configure module re-configurable in flight, and that made trivial to implement wet workshops so I'm also experimenting with them. Then after much pain I surrendered and implemented my own harvester module, for both drills and atmospheric harvesting. And the planner had to be extended to deal with all of this. Then found out about the stock 'extension interfaces' for modules and started using them, and adding some of my own, for a general polish of all modules code. I will say with some realism that I'm halfway done overall.

Thanks for the offer, I will need some brave testers after I get to the point of rebalancing and hunting the last bugs. I'll post it here once it is ready.

@ShotgunNinja I think that the fixed vs orientable panels may be a factor in the EC issue people have been having. I have a station in a 100km Kerbin orbit that experiences the same dead batteries/Kerbals problem at the highest two time warp speeds. It has a few panels that are orientable, but most of them are fixed.

@bpilgrim That may be it actually. At high timewarp the fixed panel exposure is evalued a limited number of times per-orbit (eg: one) and by chance it is evalued when the clamped dot product between sun direction and panel normal is zero. It is very similar to the sun visibility problem that I solved simulating it analytically over the whole orbit. However this one will not be trivial to solve I'm afraid. I'll think of something.

Meanwhile the developers do his magic, anyone know how to switch off  the antenas part from this mod? The containers work without problems but the antenas doesn't work if the mod is on. It is posible to deactivate that? I change to false the RemoteControlLink (settings.cfg) and put away the antenas.cfg, but nothing change.

58 minutes ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

Maybe a noob question, but I can't find a non-contradictory answer, does kerbalism works with MKS/OKS and extraplanetary launch pads? On the MKS forums/topics kerbalism is strictly incompatible, but here there is a patch for it? 1.1.3 version.

Before the update, the mod work without problems, but is more complete with the Kerbal Panetary Base mod that add new containers (Food, water, oxygen...) Now, you only need shutdown the antenas stuff from kerbalism and "works fine" meanwhile the developer finish the update :wink: 

Edited by Alvargon

21 minutes ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

Which one is that? Why do i need to shut down antennas? I'm in 1.1.3 so I don't have this new 1.2 satellites networks... if that's the case?

Aaah, Kerbal Planetary Base... ok. Thanks.

Yes sorry XD, I only remember the "industrial name" when I wrote the firs post

In 1.1.3 the 3 mods works fine :wink:

Edited by Alvargon

17 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@bpilgrim That may be it actually. At high timewarp the fixed panel exposure is evalued a limited number of times per-orbit (eg: one) and by chance it is evalued when the clamped dot product between sun direction and panel normal is zero. It is very similar to the sun visibility problem that I solved simulating it analytically over the whole orbit. However this one will not be trivial to solve I'm afraid. I'll think of something.

For the moment I will just use orientable panels :)
I appreciate all your work. This is by far my favorite mod!

6 hours ago, bpilgrim said:

For the moment I will just use orientable panels :)
I appreciate all your work. This is by far my favorite mod!

I don't think that'll fix it. I have a ring of 24 orienting panels which alone supply enough power for my LKO station and I still get the no-EC-burn-death-timewarp bug. 

@ShotgunNinja could a fix for the fixed-panel bug be to just precompute the dot-product at, say, 24 evenly-spaced points along the orbit, average them, and use that to scale the EC rate? You can also approximate this analytically: mean EC generation per orbit is 1/pi of the direct sunlight rate.

Some questions for people with the ' no-EC-burn-death-timewarp bug', as it has been called. Please answer all the questions or else it will be useless.

• are you using the BackgroundProcessing mod?
  • does the vessel have Labs?
  • does the vessel have fixed panels?
  • are there EC consumers/producers provided by other mods on the vessel in question?
  • is the log being spammed by exceptions when the vessel is unloaded? press ALT+F2 to see the log in-game, exceptions are red