[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

I noticed how the Oxidizer chemical process uses hydrogen, but the LiquidFuel one, if combined with electrolysis, does not. This feels wrong, somehow.

EDIT: If you lowered the amount of generated water slightly, that would account for it, I guess.

Edited by APlayer
---

7 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

@nixeagle The reliability module work by disabling another module on the part when a malfunction is triggered. It's an on/off switch, there is no way to do module specific failures like reducing antenna range. Indeed your example won't work (the malfunction won't be applied) because you didn't reference ModuleRTAntenna. Your snippet should be :

Hide contents

@PART[RTLongAntenna2]:FOR[Kerbalism]:AFTER[RemoteTech]
{
  MODULE:NEEDS[FeatureReliability]
  {
    name = Reliability
    type = ModuleRTAntenna
    title = Antenna
    redundancy = Communication
    repair = Engineer
    mtbf = 72576000 // 8y
    extra_cost = 2.0
    extra_mass = 0.25
  }
}

Awesome, this makes sense. Are you aware of any documentation on what parameters work for what in various things for kerbalism configs? I was mostly going off of what I found in the 30 minutes I worked on this yesterday. 

14 hours ago, SmarterThanMe said:

@nixeagle you're a champ. Could I get your WIP CFG?

Any chance of doing the same for the Probes Plus antennae from Coatl?

I'll look into it, thanks for linking me these as they have an RT config as well as a standard config. Should be instructive. However I'd like to get RT semi working first.

My work in progress configuration for RT looks something like this: PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS IN A REAL SAVE. It globs over every part that starts with RT and misses a bunch of stock antennas that RT modifies. This configuration applies malfunctions to the antennas, changes the UI so you can't extend or retract them but it does not actually disable transmission. You are just unable to retract/retarget/whatever the antenna. This is further progress then what I had before, thanks @Gotmachine.

@PART[RT*]:AFTER[Kerbalism]:AFTER[RemoteTech] {
  {
    name = Reliability
    type = ModuleRTAntenna
    title = Antenna
    repair = Engineer
    mtbf = 72576000 // 8y
    extra_cost = 2.0
    extra_mass = 0.25
  }
  MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleAnimationGroup
    deployAnimationName = Deploy
    moduleType = Antenna
  }
}

Some side notes on module manager:

1.  It seems like module manager does not accept regex expressions in the @PART[] filter, just basic wildcards.
  2. HAS[ModuleRTAntenna] does not seem to filter. Anyone know why?

If anyone knows of any way to test module manager without reloading a game over and over, please let me know. I'd really like to change the above patch to apply to all modules with ModuleRTAntenna instead of trying to filter on RT*. If RT provides parts that are not antennas or edits stock antennas (they do), this filter misses. Sadly the obvious @PART[*]:HAS[ModuleRTAntenna]]:... does not appear to work here. I'd really rather avoid copy pasting 10+ antennas that are all the same except for the name, especially since Module Manager seems like it *should* work here.

7 hours ago, Eklykti said:

Why are you all writing FOR[Kerbalism] in your patches? this will make other modules think that Kerbalism is still installed when you remov it and forget to remove the patch.

Do I need to use NEEDS instead? Or should I be using AFTER? I don't see any clear documentation on what the difference is. I think NEEDS makes sense, the documentation states that it "requires" the module for the patch to apply. I'm guessing AFTER is just "schedule this patch to apply after X has applied its patches while also requiring that X exist"?

Edit2: Changed to state AFTER Kerbalism and AFTER RemoteTech on the offchance that it was applying after remote tech patches but before Kerbalism patches. If this was the case, you would filter all HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna]] and then fail to apply the patch because NEEDS[FeatureReliability] fails to find FeatureReliability. Alas, this is not the case and HAS still does not seem to work for me.

Yes I can do this by copying each part name that remote tech modifies, but I'd really rather not.

Edited by nixeagle
Change FOR to NEEDS. ... and change NEEDS to AFTER!

3 minutes ago, nixeagle said:

If anyone knows of any way to test module manager without reloading a game over and over, please let me know.

I guess your issue is time? If so, have you considered using a clean testing install with only a few relevant parts loaded (Not even all Squad parts, that is), so that the loading time is minimized?

Just now, APlayer said:

Not even all Squad parts

Lats time I tried to remove parts from Squad directory KSP just failed to load, spamming all sorts of exceptions.

11 minutes ago, nixeagle said:

Do I need to use NEEDS instead? Or should I be using AFTER?

I think NEEDS should be right, but I'm definitely not a module manager guru.

This at least hits all the RT antennas and applies reliability to them. They don't actually stop a connection to KSC, but you can't retract/extend them, they get flagged as yellow/red failures etc. 

@PART[launchClamp1|longAntenna|mediumDishAntenna|commDish|HighGainAntenna|SurfAntenna|HighGainAntenna5|RelayAntenna100|RelayAntenna5|RelayAntenna50|RTShortAntenna1|RTLongAntenna2|RTLongAntenna3|RTShortDish1|RTShortDish2|RTLongDish1|RTLongDish2|RTGigaDish1|RTGigaDish2]:AFTER[Kerbalism]:AFTER[RemoteTech] { // :HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna]]
  {
    name = Reliability
    type = ModuleRTAntenna
    title = Antenna
    repair = Engineer
    mtbf = 72576000 // 8y
    extra_cost = 2.0
    extra_mass = 0.25
  }
}

Since HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna]] does not work, I went ahead and enumerated over every antenna that RT provides and those that it modifies in stock. However I'd really like to figure out how to get the HAS specification to work to prevent manually maintaining a list here. 

51 minutes ago, APlayer said:

I guess your issue is time? If so, have you considered using a clean testing install with only a few relevant parts loaded (Not even all Squad parts, that is), so that the loading time is minimized?

Shortening the test cycle is always a good thing. I currently use a test install with just HyperEdit, RT, Kerbalism and Module Manager.

4 hours ago, New Horizons said:

Hey, does some of you know, whether Kerbalism works well with Keepfit these days? I am even not sure, what Keepfitt can contribute to Kerbalism now.

u dont realy need keepfit if u use kerbalism.

On 12/29/2016 at 0:25 AM, New Horizons said:

Could we see support for ScanSat in Automation? It would be usefull to shut off their scanners during shadow transits

Good idea.

On 12/29/2016 at 0:42 AM, nixeagle said:

It might be possible to patch something somewhere so that Kerbalism knows "if ship has SCANSAT module and SCANSAT module is scanning then on power restore, start scanning again". The tricky part I'd think is... knowing if your SCANSAT module is actively scanning

This is already implemented. Kerbalism remember what scanners were disabled in background by lack of EC, then restart these scanners when EC is available again.

On 12/29/2016 at 5:26 AM, The-Doctor said:

Was the problems I told you about remotetech just me

Sorry I saw the image, but what is the problem exactly? Can you clarify?

On 12/29/2016 at 4:32 PM, EssjayC said:

What happens is I go on EVA, take a surface sample, go back in, and for some reason, the ship is uncontrollable

On 12/29/2016 at 8:22 PM, Japcsali said:

Anybody else experiencing loss of control of the spacecraft after an EVA?

I'm investigating this, thanks for the reports.

17 hours ago, nixeagle said:

Are you aware of any documentation on what parameters work for what in various things for kerbalism configs?

Have you seen the wiki? In particular this page contains the specs for all modules and this one the specs for the rule framework. I am aware that the documentation is not great on some of the parameters, so feel free to ask questions about any of them. 

@ShotgunNinja the directional antennae, well, they point of into space or anywhere but at the tracking station. They also appear greyed out and don't work unless the spacecraft is further away from the planet. The normal commnet lines appear and appear greyed out and aimed at the planets surface, not at tracking. stations. As you can see in this post, the connection is strangely pointed into deep space. XfXPVB6.png

2) I got another idea for Kerbalism, even probe craft should need shielding but less, without shielding, radiation should slowly break down the electronics like in real life.

@ShotgunNinja I have a mm patch here that enables reliability for all remote tech antennas + stock antennas that RT modifies. Everything works except for actually disabling the antenna. All GUI controls are disabled, planner works and part highlights work. Thoughts?

Assuming there is a way to get consequences working for RT antennas, I think there is really only 2 major spots left to work on.

The most important is getting RT antennas to actually draw EC in the background when they are deployed. Towards that end, is it possible to indicate that a part draws EC (and how much it draws) in the background when it's activated with a mm patch? Because RT uses ModuleRTAntenna for specifying EC draw and ranges, Kerbalism has no real way to simulate EC draw in the background for these antennas. Basically I'd like to know if there is a way to state "this part draws X electric charge per second when it's activated and here is how you know the part is activated."

A secondary concern is getting automation to work for RT antennas, but it's not nearly as important as getting electric draw to work. 

6 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@The-Doctor Can you check if the problem exist when Kerbalism is not installed?

I did a test, after a while I realized hm, this looks like something remotetech had, then clicked the small remotetech icons on the side and realized it was remotetech lol. Please take into consideration my ideas for 1) The need to create a satellite network to monitor the sun, without it, solar storm notification only occurs when it hits you 2) craft including probes breaking down due to radiation 

finaly found my issue with my tac profile. seems a old custom .cfg i meade was some way striping tac and kerbalsim stuff from parts. removed the old cfg and works fine.

updated http://spacedock.info/mod/1128/Kerbalism TAC profile

should now work fine without any troubles.

if anyone wants a profile for any other life support mod provide me the link and ill see what i can do with it. later today gonna try to make one for roverdude LS.

7 hours ago, stargazer1235 said:

I just installed the mod and started a new game. Is there anyway in the map (tracking station or vessel) to see the planets magnetosphere, like shown in some of the screenshots

Press 'B' in map-view or tracking-station to show a window where you can toggle the fields rendering. You can also press KEYPAD 0/1/2/3 to quickly toggle them.

@ShotgunNinja

Hey there. Loving the game so far, and I've managed to get it working. 

I believe it was a conflict with one of the following addons, my bet is the first one:

- [x] Science
- KAS/KIS
- Kerbal Planetary Base Systems (Though I think this is more unlikely than the first two)

(Note: I did not test these three yet because I didn't want to have to install yet another fresh copy of the game. I've done it about 20 times, and felt I could live without these for now.)

Also, when I would uninstall all the addons, except for Kerbalism, the problem persisted. However, doing a fresh install and testing all my addons, one by one with Kerbalism, I was able to get the game to play normally. 

PS: I also encountered another issue (most likely with the aforementioned addons) where sometimes Kerbalism would think a ship was running out, or was unable to produce electric charge (even when batteries would last for longer than the blackout, and the solar panels were positioned well and in enough capacity). I am almost certain that it was because of the same interaction with [x]Science or KAS/KIS

That being said, I love the difficulty so far. It's insanely hard. Even getting to the Mun has been a challenge, and I find myself spending most of my money, science; and a ton of time planning. Bravo! 

PS: A suggestion if I may make one: I'd love to see an interface (similar to [x]Science) for collecting experiments, rather than having to manually find and click each experiment, and not being sure if I have every biome. It becomes very tedious even when doing experiments in a single biome, but when you make a vehicle that will travel to multiple ones, with multiple EVAs and samples, the list becomes impossible to organize and use at a glance. I've been writing them down on paper manually. :)

Other than that, I absolutely adore Kerbalism, and I think this should be stock for the hardest difficulty setting. It's breathed new life into the game for me, and I can't believe I lived without it before. The vanilla game seems boring in comparison now. haha!

Thanks again for all your hard work. If there's a better way for me to help you test, get more information, or I can help out in any other way, I'd be more than happy to! 

Edited by EssjayC

Recently I was thinking about our 4 types of kerbals: Pilot, Engineer, Scientist and Tourist.

I whish to have more of these. What's about a Physician with healing skills (combined with a sickbay part) or skills of a psychatrist on higher experience levels  - maybe important on long voyages as a new way of improving crews (mental) health?

What do you think? Can this be modded anyway?

Edited by New Horizons

3 hours ago, Pepethecat said:

How do you show the planet's magnetic feild?

Jeez...its literally on the same page!

13 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Press 'B' in map-view or tracking-station to show a window where you can toggle the fields rendering. You can also press KEYPAD 0/1/2/3 to quickly toggle them.

7 hours ago, EssjayC said:

@The-Doctor 

Have you had any issues with any other science consolidation addons? I really hate the stock KSP right-clicking regardless. :)

PS: Any issues with planetary base systems? 

You didn't tag me proper lol, um, I don't use KPBS, I've gotten no issues with Dmagic or scansat

@ShotgunNinja . I'm pretty sure this is a mod conflict, but I won't have time to test it on a clean install for several days as this is my last day off until next Monday.

Anyway, when I install this on my mod-obese save, staging quits working. If I uninstall, it works fine, installed, I can't launch as the space bar no longer stages.

As I have an irresponsible number of mods, testing it will take some time, I am only posting to see if anyone else has had this problem, or perhaps can suggest possibilities that may reduce my testing time. Since I have not seen this error reported before I'm pretty sure it is not with Kerbalism itself but with something that's not playing nice with it.

This mod adds so much to the game that I will happily sacrifice whatever is conflicting with it to have this.

I am unsure what logs (or where they are) might be helpful, I will happily post them if they will help. I will check this thread after work tomorrow and upload anything you request. I just won't have time to fire up the game again until next week.

Thank you for this amazing mod!

Edited by pslytely psycho

On 12/31/2016 at 6:27 PM, The-Doctor said:

1) The need to create a satellite network to monitor the sun, without it, solar storm notification only occurs when it hits you

If this is implemented then it should only be for storms not visible from Kerbin's current location. Ground-based observatories monitoring the sun should see any CMEs flaring off the visible hemisphere of the sun

On 12/31/2016 at 6:27 PM, The-Doctor said:

2) craft including probes breaking down due to radiation 

I could have sworn this was already a thing that was linked between the mod's part failure system and its space radiation system