[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

9 hours ago, William516 said:

Ok i can confirm that I just did a fresh install of the game version 1.2.2 and I found the same results.  Loading just TAC and Kerbalism results in the mono-propellant resource being there and available.  As for how many mods are currently installed.  Too many to list so I will have to go through them one by one unless someone knows an easier way to see what files would affect the files that both these mods use.  The funny thing was that when the Kerbalism mod was not installed TAC worked fine.  The second it was added I got the problem that I had brought up.  Anyone have any ideas or will this mean starting all over once again lol.

I have never used the CKAN is it easier to work with mods then installing and uninstalling them manually?  I never tried this mod or installer.

Thanks again and sorry to jump the gun and say that it was your mod at fault.  Any help on resolving this problem would be a great help from anyone.  

Thanks 

Bill

if u useing tac have u tried or are u useing the tac profile i made?

In the fresh install that I noted above I did not load the TAC profile however on the other saved game version.  I tried it with both the TAC profile and also without.  Both times it did not make a difference.

I have been going through the new install and loading mod by mod trying to figure out what might be causing the issue however I'm not really sure if maybe the mod install order has something to do with this problem as well.

So far mods installed are working with the kerbalism mod with no problem.  Could you possibly narrow the search to whatever file would have controlled the mono propellant and I may be able to search all mods that would work with this.

It's very tedious and time consuming loading mods one by one every time but that might be the only way.

Thanks again and keep up the great work.

Bill

checked and its probably not kerbalism if u using the tac profile i removed everything effecting anything on eva.

have u checked all the mods that have tac support? someone might have accidentally added a eva setting. also look in your MM config cache and see if u can see if their anything for eva. to me seems like their a bad setting somewhere or a bad .cfg entry messing with eva fuel.

also is the settings has TAC for the profile? also try deleteingg the other profile files it could be loading settings for them for some reason

Edited by sidfu

@William516 Ok, lets find out what's causing this. Here is what you have to do (follow exactly please):

• load the savegame that's causing this problem
  • go on EVA and reproduce this issue
  • take a screenshot (hit F1)
  • close the game
  • send me:
    • the screenshot (it will be in KSP/Screenshots)
    • the savegame (it will be in KSP/Saves/YourSaveGameName/default.sfs)
    • the log (it is the file KSP/KSP.log)
    • a list of mods you are using (make a screenshot of your GameData folder in explorer)

Here is a save file that is experiencing the EC issues I described in my post. I also included a CKAN file with the mods I was using (mymods.ckan). The main ones were KIS, KAS, Planetary Bases, and SCANsat.

The vessels experiencing the issues are Mun Manned Lander and Mun Manned Cmd Module. Both are in orbit of the Mun.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rabmzihuic4okkl/FromBack.zip?dl=0

Hope this is helpful!

Please help!  I can't figure out how to send data with high-gain antenna to KSC...

I'm new to Kerbalism and perhaps don't understand the data transmission.  I've searched for answers but couldn't find any, so apologies if this has been answered before.

I've uploaded a screenshot here http://imgur.com/a/xsfvM to show the mods I'm using (I don't think there's any conflicts), and another photo showing a probe landed on the moon with a high gain antenna and Kerbin visible in the distance.  I've been able to send data from LKO using a low-gain antenna and from Mun orbit using a high gain... now I'm landed but for some reason I can't send any data.  There is 632mb of data stored, but when I click the "DATA" button nothing happens.  The familiar data menu doesn't show up, as it did previously with other vessels in orbit.   Additionally, I used to show a green 'connected' line to KSC while in orbit, but now that I've landed it doesn't show (although I can still control the vessel).

What am I missing here?  Much thanks in advance

*(great job on the mod by the way.  I'm a BTSM fan looking for a different experience and this mod is really well made and very polished.  I've enjoyed it thusfar, I also love the data being stored as MB/GB to be sent rather than a blue bar... which is why I'm so frustrated I can't get it to work now!)

EDIT:  Never mind... seems there was a weird glitch with were I was landed.  I launched, moved further away (I was on the edge of a crater) and tried again.  Worked.  I suspect that it assumed I was blocked by the Mun where I was landed, being that the terrain height was off.  Just a guess, but call off the tech-support on this one.  Turns out a bit of troubleshooting was the answer.  Thanks all the same.

Edited by jokerwildcat
solved

On 7.1.2017 at 1:59 AM, ShotgunNinja said:

@Nereid Until now when firing OnScienceReceived I was assuming the first parameter is data size (in Mb). But now I double checked and stock is passing the science credits instead... ooops my bad. Will pass science credits as first parameter in next version.

No problem. I was puzzled quite a bit at first too.

I found a bug, I'm not sure if it's caused by Kerbalism, but if it is, then the bug is when kerbal goes to EVA it takes some resources (eg. monopropelant) and when is boards it gives it back, but electricity is not subtracted from the vessel while going to EVA and it is added when Kerbal boards, so you can add electricity by EVA/board. 

ECLSS high quality settings seem multiply the whole pod's mass and cost.

I think it would make more sense to use the ECLSS module's mass and cost in the calculation, because, if a pod weighs 5 tons and you want high quality ECLSS, you get an additional 500 kg for it. A similar nonsense happens for expensive pods. (The same pod costs 5k funds, but with high quality ECLSS more than 18k.)

I've been playing with this mod and starting to figure it out, but I'm stumped by something that just happened. I've been launching ships and they have been working fine, using stock crew compartments. Then I built a new ship using Near Future crew compartments, and the VAB editor seemed to work the same. But when I launched the ship, kerbalism seems to be mostly turned off. There is no draw against oxygen and when I click on the "data" button I get no popup.

Also, it doesn't show up on my list of ships in the kerbalism menu.

Did I somehow do something wrong or is this because I'm using the Near Future spacecraft?

Edited by mikegarrison

Well, it wasn't the revert to VAB.

I just launched nearly the exact same ship design (but this time with no reversion), and the exact same thing happened. All the parameters for kerbalism are there, but it is completely ignoring the ship. No power drain, no oxygen drain, etc. It's like whatever tells kerbalism that a new ship has been launched just doesn't see this ship. (I mean, no power drain from kerbalism. No scrubbers, no cabin temp power drain, etc. There is power drain like normal if I use my reaction wheels.)

But I'm going to assume that if I get out of KSP and then reload from save, kerbalism will now see the ship. (Because that's what happened last time.)

Just checked, and yes. When I exit KSP and restart it, kerbalism sees the ship. But when I only exit to the main menu and the reload the save, kerbalism still doesn't see the ship.

What's going on? What is happening behind the scenes so that loading a saved game from the main menu is not causing the same behavior as completely exiting KSP and restarting it?

(ps. I'm using 64-bit KSP on Win 10.)

Edited by mikegarrison

@ShotgunNinja Great mod, installed a second KSP 1.2 instance just for this mod, been playing it all weekend!   Cant wait to see what planned in the future.

Second, has anyone tried Kerbalism with Cacteye Optics Community Takeover?  The parts seem to work ok, but cant seem to capture data from targeted bodies.  Is that something a profile change could fix? I do see something in the logs: KERBALISM.Hijacker+MetaData..ctor (.ScienceData data, .Part host), that leads me to believe it has something to do with how the telescopes create their science data, and how Kerbalism captures it.

@ShotgunNinja , Got off a little early tonight due to the snow, business dropped to nothing about three hours early. So I did some testing, I noticed that my probe had no signal, but I could launch a manned ship.

Removed Remote Tech and bingo. Everything worked fine. I don't know for sure if it is a conflict with RT or with Ippo's settings for RT. I was basically only using it for the familiar interface, so RT stays out for the time being as I was waiting for Kerbalism and Construction Time to start a new save.

I knew it had to be a conflict and that Kerbalism wasn't primarily responsible.

Thanks for your help, I read the log file, and even though it was a bit over my head I could make out that there were a few errors generated, but none relating to Kerbalism, and nothing I could see that I would of thought of as an exception. It was quite educational. You can teach an old dog (57) new tricks.

Thanks again for this amazing addition to my favorite game for the last four years!

Edited by pslytely psycho
grammer correction

On 1/7/2017 at 11:59 AM, ShotgunNinja said:

@Nereid Until now when firing OnScienceReceived I was assuming the first parameter is data size (in Mb). But now I double checked and stock is passing the science credits instead... ooops my bad. Will pass science credits as first parameter in next version.

Any idea on when the fix for this will come in? This is about the only blocking thing from me starting my KSP Let's Play. :P

@ShotgunNinja is Kerbalism supposed to remove KerbNet completely? I see some parts that do have it removed and lots of parts that still keep it. If kerbnet is supposed to be disabled I'll send you PRs for all the stuff I've spotted. And what about ModuleAsteroidDrill - ModuleResourceHarvester is replaced with Harvester but ModuleAsteroidDrill is untouched.

Edited by Yaar Podshipnik
more questions about diff modules

4 hours ago, MaxZhao said:

Just wanted to ask if there's any way to actually see the magnetic field like the screenshot shows? Or is it just a concept photo?

Yep, from the Changelog:

• press ALT+N on map view or tracking station to show/hide the magnetic fields
  • you can also press Keypad 0/1/2/3 to quickly toggle between them

I would also like to improve support for NFT, by adding chemical processes to get the resources used by that mod. We can already get Hydrogen, but I don't see any way to get Xenon, Lithium, or Argon with Kerbalism.

Lithium looks to be "easy" to get - pull in some brine with it, evaporate water. Or, based on the first page of this https://www.jstor.org/stable/74829?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents, apply pyrohydrolisis. So that would make Ore + Water + EC to get lithium.

Xenon and Argon seem to come from air via distillation. So maybe atmospheric filter -> CondensedAir fake resource or something like that -> ISRU distillation?

What are your thoughts on this?

42 minutes ago, Jade_Falcon said:

Yep, from the Changelog:

• press ALT+N on map view or tracking station to show/hide the magnetic fields
  • you can also press Keypad 0/1/2/3 to quickly toggle between them

I seem to be having a bit of trouble because ALT+N does not seem to be working, maybe because I'm using a mac? I've tried all kinds of hot keys but It does not seem to work..

@raptor_xxl What you describe is not happening on my install. EC is removed from pods like the other resources, and then added back when re-entering the pod. I suggest you press ALT+F12 => Debugging => Toggle on the 'Show all log errors/exceptions on screen' options. Then check if you see a red message on top right of screen when you go out on EVA.

@APlayer High-quality extra mass/cost is defined as a proportion of the part mass/cost. This was added in 1.1.6 to make cfg files easier to write.

@mikegarrison Send me the log when this happen.

@Jade_Falcon Thanks, that exception is thrown to let me know when the code can't find a container. Probably catceye is opening the science dialog, but has no data container at all. I have an idea how to make the hijacking work anyway in that case, will implement it in next version.

@pslytely psycho If you want you can send me the log and I'll try to figure out what's going on, no problem :) 

@Meroni First click on the 'heartbeat' icon in the toolbar, then on a vessel name. That will show you the details panel. Left-Click on 'info', 'data', etc... to switch the details panel mode. Middle-click on 'info', 'data', etc... to pop out that panel as a window.

@MaxZhao Absolutely, they are not concept art. Press 'B' when in map-view or tracking-station to show a window where you can toggle the individual fields rendering. Alternatively you can alsu use KEYPAD 0/1/2/3 to quickly toggle them. I reckon this is not obvious to new users, so in next version I'm going to show that window automatically again.

@ValynEritai I got an update almost ready, just waiting to find some free time to clean it up. I would say a few days, a week max.

@Yaar Podshipnik I do not touch KerbNet at all (I'm referring to ModuleKerbNetAccess). The Harvester module doesn't support asteroids, but that is okay because the stock asteroid drill is fully supported in background simulation. Anyway the real reason is that I kind of ignored asteroid mining for the moment.

35 minutes ago, Yaar Podshipnik said:

I would also like to improve support for NFT, by adding chemical processes to get the resources used by that mod. We can already get Hydrogen, but I don't see any way to get Xenon, Lithium, or Argon with Kerbalism.

Lithium looks to be "easy" to get - pull in some brine with it, evaporate water. Or, based on the first page of this https://www.jstor.org/stable/74829?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents, apply pyrohydrolisis. So that would make Ore + Water + EC to get lithium.

Xenon and Argon seem to come from air via distillation. So maybe atmospheric filter -> CondensedAir fake resource or something like that -> ISRU distillation?

What are your thoughts on this?

I like the pyrohydrolisis Ore + Water + EC => Lithium a lot. For xenon and argon it could be harvested directly from atmosphere like the other gasses, all of them technically are extracted using some kind of air distillation in the end.

I think these new things should be put in a support cfg, so that if the user doesn't have NFT it doesn't see these processes. But yeah I like this :) and I want to thank you for all your contributions, really!

4 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@raptor_xxl What you describe is not happening on my install. EC is removed from pods like the other resources, and then added back when re-entering the pod. I suggest you press ALT+F12 => Debugging => Toggle on the 'Show all log errors/exceptions on screen' options. Then check if you see a red message on top right of screen when you go out on EVA.

@APlayer High-quality extra mass/cost is defined as a proportion of the part mass/cost. This was added in 1.1.6 to make cfg files easier to write.

@mikegarrison Send me the log when this happen.

@Jade_Falcon Thanks, that exception is thrown to let me know when the code can't find a container. Probably catceye is opening the science dialog, but has no data container at all. I have an idea how to make the hijacking work anyway in that case, will implement it in next version.

@pslytely psycho If you want you can send me the log and I'll try to figure out what's going on, no problem :) 

@Meroni First click on the 'heartbeat' icon in the toolbar, then on a vessel name. That will show you the details panel. Left-Click on 'info', 'data', etc... to switch the details panel mode. Middle-click on 'info', 'data', etc... to pop out that panel as a window.

@MaxZhao Absolutely, they are not concept art. Press 'B' when in map-view or tracking-station to show a window where you can toggle the individual fields rendering. Alternatively you can alsu use KEYPAD 0/1/2/3 to quickly toggle them. I reckon this is not obvious to new users, so in next version I'm going to show that window automatically again.

@ValynEritai I got an update almost ready, just waiting to find some free time to clean it up. I would say a few days, a week max.

@Yaar Podshipnik I do not touch KerbNet at all (I'm referring to ModuleKerbNetAccess). The Harvester module doesn't support asteroids, but that is okay because the stock asteroid drill is fully supported in background simulation. Anyway the real reason is that I kind of ignored asteroid mining for the moment.

Thank you very much! Just wanted to say that this mod is awesome and thank you a lot for spending time on this! I'm sure everyone using it appreciates your great work!