[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

14 hours ago, White Owl said:

What could be preventing Kerbalism from modifying the antennae in my very unreasonably heavily modded install? I know the signals feature is enabled, because unmanned probes aren't controllable with the default config; but if I change the Kerbalism signals config to "full" control, then the probes are controllable. So that much works. But none of my antennae — stock Squad or mod part — are changed to high gain or low gain. They all have the stock "direct" or "relay" labels.

Obviously, some other mod is interfering... but I'm not sure where to start looking.

When I troubleshoot mod incompatibilities,  I lump like-mods together and move them to a temporary folder until I identify the group. I then reinstall mods outside of the group to make sure it's not a multiple-mod conflict. Depending on the size of the failed group I will install them as single mods or in smaller groups or pairs until I identify the culprit.  It may sound like a long process, but it beats searching one by one.

Figured it out. I was an idiot; totally my fault. I installed the Module Manager dll in its own folder instead of directly to GameData, and that borked Kerbalism. So a cautionary tale for others who want their mod directory to be all neat and organized: don't mess with Module Manager.

5 hours ago, Shield88 said:

Can someone please, explain to me how to produce fuel and food properly. I'm kinda over-past right now.. :confused:

@Shield88 To make food, you need a greenhouse, which requires, water, ammonia, and light (either from Kerbol or lamps which consume EC). You can use a Waste Processor to harvest ammonia from Kerbals

You make liquid fuel and oxidizer separately, but the main ingredients are water (which you break into hydrogen and oxygen using EC) and carbon dioxide (which Kerbals produce). 

Hydrogen + Oxygen --> Oxidizer

Hydrogen + carbon dioxide + EC --> Liquid Fuel

You need 3 chem plants for this: One each for the processes described above and another to break the water into hydrogen and oxygen

I'm currently working on a station around Minmus that harvests water from the surface to produce fuel in orbit. Hoping to use it as a jumping off point for interplanetary voyages

Edited by bpilgrim

2 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

Any way to modify Kerbalism to monitor Stored Charge for those of us using Real Battery?

You can add the resource to the planner and the in-flight monitor but there won't be any production/consumption info, just the amount of resource you currently have.

Add this to the "GameData/Kerbalism/Profiles/Default.cfg" file :

Supply
  {
    resource = StoredCharge
    low_message = $VESSEL capacitors are almost empty@<i>We are squeezing the last bit of juice</i>
  }

12 hours ago, bpilgrim said:

@Shield88 To make food, you need a greenhouse, which requires, water, ammonia, and light (either from Kerbol or lamps which consume EC). You can use a Waste Processor to harvest ammonia from Kerbals

You make liquid fuel and oxidizer separately, but the main ingredients are water (which you break into hydrogen and oxygen using EC) and carbon dioxide (which Kerbals produce). 

You need 3 chem plants for this: One each for the processes described above and another to break the water into hydrogen and oxygen

I'm currently working on a station around Minmus that harvests water from the surface to produce fuel in orbit. Hoping to use it as a jumping off point for interplanetary voyages

Thanks a lot for your response. But to be honest, i can't even understand how to configure it. So much confused, i would need a video, or maybe picture, considering that i'm visual.

I'm very impressed with what I've read about this mod but hesitant to try as I'm not yet ready to stop using the Interstellar mod. Is there any intention to make this one day compatible with Interstellar? 

Is it compatible with Constellations? 

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Noel32

On 17/01/2017 at 0:49 AM, kraden said:

When I troubleshoot mod incompatibilities,  I lump like-mods together and move them to a temporary folder until I identify the group. I then reinstall mods outside of the group to make sure it's not a multiple-mod conflict. Depending on the size of the failed group I will install them as single mods or in smaller groups or pairs until I identify the culprit.  It may sound like a long process, but it beats searching one by one.

Yeah, good idea. I'm having issues with controlling my vehicles. Probably caused by an incompatibility between Kerbalism and Blue Dog Design Bureau. I used a probe core from Blue Dog and the Apollo styled landing can with stock antenna (because the blue dog antenna's won't work). I use a probe core so I can just use a single scientist aboard, whilst still use SAS. After a Minmus space walk, the scientist gets back in, but there's no control anymore - at all - . Even though I do have a connection with KSC...

Squad severely demotivated me a version or two back with that shake bug. People love KSP bugs for some weird reason, but I hate seeing my beautiful space station being shaken apart after 30 hours of game play and construction time. Not my idea of fun. Now the game has weird seem bugs when using wheeled vehicles. Very frustrating... Thing is, I got so fed up with bugs, incompatibilities and what not that I stopped playing for a while :( . I might give it a try again tonight, but all these things are quite off-putting.

17 hours ago, Spin said:

Someone explains why when I rescue a kerbal in lunar orbit I have food and water perpetual.
Ksp 1.2.2
Kerbalism 1.1.8

Game likes you. On the contrary, I just had to rescue a kerbal in munar orbit from a PPD-10 hitchhiker pod. When arrived within the bubble limit (2.5 km) had the nasty surprise to find the pod had nothin but atmosphere: no EC, no EVA fuel, no oxygen. Which isn't really unexpected as that module shows none such resources in editor (unlike command pods). Had I known in advance, I'd brought a rescue vessel with a grabber; no chance to bring a kerbal aboard the rescue vessel on its own without EVA fuel, I could maybe have maneuvered the vessel to make contact with the entry hatch and switch back to the EVA'd kerbal to make him grab, but not before he passed away without oxygen.

Don't think kerbalism to be at fault for the above: pod selection where to find stranded kerbals is a stock game function. But stock game doesn't care about life support resources so is unaware of this "limitation".

5 hours ago, diomedea said:

Game likes you. On the contrary, I just had to rescue a kerbal in munar orbit from a PPD-10 hitchhiker pod. When arrived within the bubble limit (2.5 km) had the nasty surprise to find the pod had nothin but atmosphere: no EC, no EVA fuel, no oxygen. Which isn't really unexpected as that module shows none such resources in editor (unlike command pods). Had I known in advance, I'd brought a rescue vessel with a grabber; no chance to bring a kerbal aboard the rescue vessel on its own without EVA fuel, I could maybe have maneuvered the vessel to make contact with the entry hatch and switch back to the EVA'd kerbal to make him grab, but not before he passed away without oxygen.

Don't think kerbalism to be at fault for the above: pod selection where to find stranded kerbals is a stock game function. But stock game doesn't care about life support resources so is unaware of this "limitation".

Yeah, that's a potential problem. Kerbalism seems to top off the resources of the pod the first time you get within loading range, but if the pod doesn't have the capability for resources, you are in trouble.

Also, I learned to EVA the rescuee very quickly. Some pods can suck away the electrical power much faster than a Kerbal on EVA, so if you don't EVA the Kerbal right away, by the time you do there is no electricity left.

And then there was that one time when my launch actually took me within the loading distance of the capsule. Kerbalism promptly loaded and then used up all the pod resources before I even had a chance to finish getting into orbit. Dead kerbal, until I reverted and re-timed my launch.

On 1/20/2017 at 6:30 AM, bpilgrim said:

Not surprisingly, the tiny amount of carbon dioxide breathed out by Kerbals barely makes any liquid fuel. You need another source to make any significant quantity.

6 hours ago, diomedea said:

Thank you very much for your clarification. I suppose something like that. Is not a problem that interferes with the general immersion of the game.

9 hours ago, diomedea said:

I vaguely recall there being a way to have the rescue missions only spawn certain types of pods for the stranded craft, but for the life of me I cant find the thread I saw it mentioned in (perhaps in the recently lost threads? Maybe one of the Contract Configurator Contract Packs?). That would be a way to ensure that the stranded ship has life support capability. 

3 minutes ago, Jade_Falcon said:

I vaguely recall there being a way to have the rescue missions only spawn certain types of pods for the stranded craft, but for the life of me I cant find the thread I saw it mentioned in (perhaps in the recently lost threads? Maybe one of the Contract Configurator Contract Packs?). That would be a way to ensure that the stranded ship has life support capability. 

Nice suggestion. Never checked Contract Configurator up to now, thanks :)

Sorry to have to bring up this bad news, but the "burned alive" bug is back again. It happens on timewarps 6-8 and goes straight to "life support off" followed immediately by "burned alive". Sometimes in timewarp 6 I get the "running out of juice" first. Pretty much as soon as it's done telling me all my kerbals are dead, I get the "power back, everything is fine". In fact this happens when the station is on the day side of the planet with solar panels in all orientations. I just started adding in long-term stations so I'm not sure which update brought this bug back (or if it ever really went away, for that matter).

Anything I can do to help debug?

One thing, how can I view the radiation belts? Are there any other shortcuts to view hidden stuff other than radiation belts like maybe the solar flares or something like that? I'm asking because I remember reading about the radiation beltsbeing visible now somewhere here and can't find it.

54 minutes ago, astroadrian99 said:

One thing, how can I view the radiation belts? Are there any other shortcuts to view hidden stuff other than radiation belts like maybe the solar flares or something like that? I'm asking because I remember reading about the radiation beltsbeing visible now somewhere here and can't find it.

Numeric keypad 0-1-2-3

4 hours ago, podbaydoor said:

Sorry to have to bring up this bad news, but the "burned alive" bug is back again. It happens on timewarps 6-8 and goes straight to "life support off" followed immediately by "burned alive". Sometimes in timewarp 6 I get the "running out of juice" first. Pretty much as soon as it's done telling me all my kerbals are dead, I get the "power back, everything is fine". In fact this happens when the station is on the day side of the planet with solar panels in all orientations. I just started adding in long-term stations so I'm not sure which update brought this bug back (or if it ever really went away, for that matter).

Anything I can do to help debug?

I was having different but similar problems with numeric issues at high timewarp. So much, in fact, that I stopped using Kerbalism. It was an interesting experience though. A few more gameplay balances and a solution to the high timewarp numerical issues (which probably aren't even kerbalism's fault, per se) and this would be an essential "always use" mod.

15 minutes ago, astroadrian99 said:

What if I don't have a Numeric Keypad? The number row doesn't work from the numerous attemptsimulations I've done

Most keyboards have a way of simulating it. If yours doesn't, then I guess you are out of luck. Maybe you can find where it is defined in the kerbalism code and change it to something else.