[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

46 minutes ago, blakemw said:

Altough in Kerbalism a nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere is used, presumably at 1atm, and would mass in at 8kg.

Pure oxygen atmosphere at low partial pressure is very favorable to venting/leaking compared with oxygen+nitrogen.

Yes, that's true. 

Of course, the LM was also unusually large for an airlock. The Shuttle airlock was about 4.2 m^3, and so lost about 5kg of air per EVA. 

And of course, if you were to use half nitrogen and half oxygen in the ship, then you would lose half that, and you wouldn't need to decompress. 

Edited by John Nowak

5 hours ago, John Nowak said:

Afraid not. That pump masses a lot more than the air you lose by pumping the air back in. With a pressurized volume of 6.7 m^3 the Lunar Module would lose only about two kilos of oxygen when venting into space. 

Note that this reference

https://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/shutref/structure/airlock.html

specifically states that the air in the Shuttle airlock was vented overboard. 

It's possible that the ISS airlocks have pumps, but that's a case where the airlocks will be in use for a large number of EVAs. 

Like I mentioned in the post just prior to yours, the ketbal ships already HAVE pumps on board, since you can pump any resource with the right click menus, including nitrogen and oxygen.

The extra mass consideration of a pump you already have on board is... zero extra kg (or the weight of a valve) and it would be a dumb spaceship design not to use it since you already went to the effort of carrying it up into space.

Edited by Crimeo

calling in @eberkain - all your antenna modules in the SXT patch are using up the same EC regardless of range/data rate. Based off the stock patches it seems Kerbalism is doing something like 0.5ec/8bytes of data and he's also factoring range into EC usage but couldn't determine as good a ratio for that... @ShotgunNinja if there is a good base guideline for calculating the EC cost of antennas based on range & data rate please add it to the wiki - thx! (maybe the EC use should actually be a thing Kerbalism calculates itself based off range/data rate with a base modifier in the setting file? - it still would not change based on current craft distance, just be calculated initially)

Also, what makes Kerbalism decide an experiment needs to be processed rather than transmitted? I would like to be able to snap and send images with the HullcamVDS mod but it's telling me they need to be analyzed in a lab - which would make sense for physical photos but I'm treating these as digital cameras

Edited by Drew Kerman

1 hour ago, Drew Kerman said:

calling in @eberkain - all your antenna modules in the SXT patch are using up the same EC regardless of range/data rate. Based off the stock patches it seems Kerbalism is doing something like 0.5ec/8bytes of data and he's also factoring range into EC usage but couldn't determine as good a ratio for that... @ShotgunNinja if there is a good base guideline for calculating the EC cost of antennas based on range & data rate please add it to the wiki - thx! (maybe the EC use should actually be a thing Kerbalism calculates itself based off range/data rate with a base modifier in the setting file? - it still would not change based on current craft distance, just be calculated intiially)

Yes, that is something that definitely needs to be looked at, I couldn't find a good reference and just copied values from another config.   

3 hours ago, Crimeo said:

Like I mentioned in the post just prior to yours, the ketbal ships already HAVE pumps on board, since you can pump any resource with the right click menus, including nitrogen and oxygen.

I dunno. That's more an argument in favor of limits on how you can move resources around. 

1 minute ago, John Nowak said:

I dunno. That's more an argument in favor of limits on how you can move resources around. 

Fair enough, that's certainly another logical way to go with it, but nobody was discussing that previously. There is a mod that restricts you more stringently than stock KSP to only moving resources through parts that have crossflow. But AFAIK no mod that turns off  whole resources entirely unless you have special parts or anything. Might be cool.

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:03 AM, babale said:

The result is that I can see the transaction in Resource Conversion when I hover over the item, but I can't access Configure menu for ANY part.

Any ideas?

@babale

Maybe change the line

output = [email protected] output = [email protected]

to

output = [email protected]
output = [email protected]

Also you have a missing } on the Configure Module, try:

MODULE
  {
    name = Configure
    title = Chemical Plant
    slots = 1

SETUP
    {
      name = ORE

MODULE
      {
        type = ProcessController
        id_field = resource
        id_value = _ORE
      }
    }
  }

11 hours ago, Crimeo said:

Fair enough, that's certainly another logical way to go with it, but nobody was discussing that previously. There is a mod that restricts you more stringently than stock KSP to only moving resources through parts that have crossflow. But AFAIK no mod that turns off  whole resources entirely unless you have special parts or anything. Might be cool.

Of course, the big problem here is that you'd need at least two classes of resources. In the first case, you can empty the source container, and in the second, you can only equalize pressure between the two containers. So, for Food where your Kerbals are carrying boxes from one cabinet to the other, it's possible to empty the first cabinet. For Oxygen, all you can do is equalize pressure between the source and destination. So if you're pumping Oxygen from a full 500 liter container into an empty 100 liter container, you can only move 83 liters. 

So you'd need to determine, retroactively, which resource falls in which category and backfill that. Maybe through the Community Resource Pack.

And in real life gas under pressure needs to be shipped to the ISS, so perhaps you need a new resource, "Pressurized helium," which can be used to help move resources.

Is there a setting to not cut warp whenever i get a notification? with a ship around moho i cant warp for another ship because i keep getting a notification about it losing signal or whatever and i really don't care but i need it later. it makes warping very difficult.

Just a few pages ago

and

My own question: I've read everything (I think) about the interaction between this mod and rescue contracts.  I wasn't looking to have that part of stock gameplay removed for what it's worth.  I took a whack at going into the persistent file and giving the rescuees air, electricity, monoprop etc. But no matter what I tried, they just lie there on orbit like Schoedinger's Kerbal until I come within 250m, then they choke and die before I can do anything.

I'm willing to get creative and mildly cheaty here, as long as I still have to do the work to get them. Anyone have any bright ideas?

@Not Sure You see the 'monitor', on the app toolbar. Click on it, it will show a list of vessels. Click on a vessel, it will show one 'panel' for that vessel (the telemetry one). There is a list of panels just below it. Click the vessel config one (labeled 'cfg'). Now you are shown a list of options for that vessel, including some to enable/disable various warning messages (and the relative stopwarp). Enable/disable these as you see fit, for each vessel. The values persist in your savegame. So to recap:

Monitor -> Select the vessel -> Select 'cfg' panel -> click on options to change them

@fourfa Resque missions are detected and ignored by the simulation, until you approach them to physical range. Then a bunch of resources are gifted to them. If the vessel has no capacity for these resources, I give it capacity too. Only then the simulation is enabled for them. The amount of resources to gift is specified in the Supply definition in the profile, in the field 'on_resque'. These are the amounts in default profile:

• 1000 EC
  • 1000 Food
  • 1000 Water
  • 10000 Oxygen

that are enough for a few days. So from the moment you approach the resque vessel under 5Km the first time, you got a few days to save its crew. Is this system not working in your case?

New version 1.2.3 has been released, enjoy.

Changelog:
  - resource cache production/consumption simulate ALL_VESSEL_BALANCED
  - added Waste Incinerator process to ISRU chemical plants
  - moved Waste Compressor process from manned pods to ISRU chemical plants
  - EVA kerbals now have a non-regenerative scrubber, with fixed duration
  - increased amount of EC and Oxygen on EVA kerbals
  - improved description of configure setups
  - scale low-gain and high-gain antenna distances differently in supported planet packs  
  - lowered xmit scalar threshold used to deduce if data is file or sample  
  - safemode malfunctions don't stop timewarp anymore
  - support patch for RLA Stockalike Continued (@YaarPodshipnik)
  - NearFuture PB-AS-NUK emit radiation (@YaarPodshipnik)

9 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Resque missions are detected and ignored by the simulation, until you approach them to physical range. Then a bunch of resources are gifted to them. If the vessel has no capacity for these resources, I give it capacity too. Only then the simulation is enabled for them. The amount of resources to gift is specified in the Supply definition in the profile, in the field 'on_resque'. These are the amounts in default profile:

• 1000 EC
  • 1000 Food
  • 1000 Water
  • 10000 Oxygen

that are enough for a few days. So from the moment you approach the resque vessel under 5Km the first time, you got a few days to save its crew. Is this system not working in your case?

I see.  No, that's not what I'm seeing. I have a lot of other mods and the KerbalismSimplified profile, so I'll pare things down and do some testing before making any further conclusions.  Thanks

1 hour ago, fourfa said:

I see.  No, that's not what I'm seeing. I have a lot of other mods and the KerbalismSimplified profile, so I'll pare things down and do some testing before making any further conclusions.  Thanks

@fourfa and @ShotgunNinja, Kerbalism Simplified changes the resources, removing Food, Water and Oxygen, and adding Consumables and Air.  Kerbalism is probably trying to add resources that don't exist and killing Kerbals as they dont have the proper resources added.

I don't play with Rescue Contracts so didn't realise this was an issue!  I'm very sorry for this oversight.

I'll update KerbalismSimplified regarding this tonight NZST and check other changes in the latest Kerbalism version.

Peace.

I really feel like the Laboratory is pretty much useless with Kerbalism. Thoughts? I mean, there isn't a bonus for conducting research on the samples in space or on a planet. I'm trying to find a good reason to put one on my station and I can't think of one. I'm going to return the Kerbals home from Duna with the surface samples, why would I put them in a Lab?

Right after I updated to the newest version I noticed my EC for all spacecraft exceeded 100% when viewing from the GUI.... Is it normal for EC to run out on other spacecraft when warping? I changeover to the spacecraft that is out of electrical charge and it's actually fine, but my kerbal's will die if I don't switch to the craft, this has been the norm even before the update.

@ShotgunNinja two things:

1) what determines if a science experiment is transmissible? I'm using HullcamVDS in conjunction with LTech to take photos but they can only be sent to a lab as if they were photo film and I'm using digital images I want to transmit via DSN

2) What do you think about having Kerbalism calculate the EC usage based on defined range and data rate, with a base modifier in the settings file? (but not asking for scaling EC usage based on range). Also related, is there a relation between the three that people can use to define their own configs? It seems based on the stock patches you include that you're doing about .05 EC/s per 8bytes of data, but I can't see any clear ratio when you factor in the antenna range.

Edited by Drew Kerman

On 2017/4/1 at 7:07 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

Has anyone here used OPM? I have a GitHub issue open for antenna range and need confirmation pretty soon so that it can be included in a GPP update.

I use the OPM,what's your problem?

2 hours ago, 影之瑒 said:

I use the OPM,what's your problem?

I just need confirmation that this code works.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Antenna]]:NEEDS[Kerbalism,FeatureSignal]:FINAL
{
  @MODULE[Antenna]:HAS[#type[low_gain]]
  {
    @dist *= 1.0 // scale using average body radius, versus stock one
  }

@MODULE[Antenna]:HAS[#type[high_gain]]
  {
    @dist *= 6.02 // scale using maximum SMA, versus stock one
  }
}

@theJesuit, @fourfa The 'resque gift' resources are generated from profile specifications, so they should work with any profile as long as Supply nodes specify an 'on_resque' value. So maybe the code isn't working as expected, I'll do some tests.

@smckamey19 The laboratory analyze samples so that you can transmit them. So it make sense to bring one when you plan on staying for long time, or even permanently. In that case, you can't easily return the samples and the lab is useful. If you go to duna in a week-long mission, then obviously you don't need a lab. If instead you go there for a year, and meanwhile want to get the science credits all the while the mission is still there on duna, then bring the lab. If you don't like how it work, you can go in Settings.cfg and set Science = false.

For the bug reports, please provide savegame, logs, list of mods, screenshots, reproduction steps, etcetera.

@Drew Kerman (1) Right now, the experiment xmitScalar is used to deduce if some data is a transmissible file or a physical sample. I've set the threshold to 0.66 in last version, so any experiment with xmitScalar below 0.66 will be considered a sample, and all the others will be considered files. When the xmitScalar is not available (because data is hijacked from somewhere else than a stock experiment module) I assume it to be transmissible.

(2) For transmission rates, I tried to model the real-life rates we got on similar antennas at conceptually similar positions in the solar system. For EC consumption I just went with something that could make sense balance-wise with progressively better antennas consuming more EC, but the rates are probably very wrong compared to reality. There are some save-breaking changes incoming in a few weeks, so if we want to use more realistic values this will be the right time to change them. Or even calculate them automatically as you suggest.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@theJesuit, @fourfa The 'resque gift' resources are generated from profile specifications, so they should work with any profile as long as Supply nodes specify an 'on_resque' value. So maybe the code isn't working as expected, I'll do some tests.

@ShotgunNinjaI think from Kerbalism 1.1.9? you changed the name of resque to rescue?  I just noticed comparing the latest download to my profile as I still had rescue spelt with the q.

All in all, probably a spelling mistake from my end.  Sorry!

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit
decided to update Simplified anyways...

13 hours ago, smckamey19 said:

Right after I updated to the newest version I noticed my EC for all spacecraft exceeded 100% when viewing from the GUI.... Is it normal for EC to run out on other spacecraft when warping? I changeover to the spacecraft that is out of electrical charge and it's actually fine, but my kerbal's will die if I don't switch to the craft, this has been the norm even before the update.

I'm getting the same behavior on one of my ships since the update. It's got both solar panels and NF nuclear reactor, either of which by itself should be enough to power the ship. It's fine when the ship is loaded but when I switch to another vessel its EC starts draining about 1% per second. Once it drains fully, it starts a cycle of going up to 2% and then draining to 0%.

Edit: I'm also getting the 'everyone dying of C02 poisoning at high warp' issue now. It happens when the vessel is loaded or unloaded.

Edited by bpilgrim