[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

27 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@smckamey19, @bpilgrim Can you guys try this replacing Kerbalism.dll with this one? Let me know if that fix the issue(s).

@ShotgunNinjaStill having the EC and C02 issue for me. 
I loaded an older save and haven't had the issue with that one so far, so maybe it is a one-time thing? The ships are not fully constructed in that save, though, so not a perfect comparison.

@bpilgrim I think to have fixed the 'EC level above 100% or below 0% issue', was a stupid mistake in last update.

However I'm doing some tests, and I see the issue with EC dropping to zero for a single simulation update, but only for loaded vessels. The CO2 insta-death is simply an indirect consequence of that. Help me out on this: I've updated the dll posted above, redownload it. Can you confirm that the EC/CO2 issue is only happening for loaded vessels? That should be the case.

Anyway, if you confirm that, I'm almost sure what is going on: this is caused by the stock solar panel module. The issue is not reproducible 100% of the time. What happen is the same thing I fixed for unloaded solar panels a few months ago, namely that the sun visibility calculation is sampled very few times per-orbit at max timewarp.

21 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@bpilgrim I think to have fixed the 'EC level above 100% or below 0% issue', was a stupid mistake in last update.

However I'm doing some tests, and I see the issue with EC dropping to zero for a single simulation update, but only for loaded vessels. The CO2 insta-death is simply an indirect consequence of that. Help me out on this: I've updated the dll posted above, redownload it. Can you confirm that the EC/CO2 issue is only happening for loaded vessels? That should be the case.

Anyway, if you confirm that, I'm almost sure what is going on: this is caused by the stock solar panel module. The issue is not reproducible 100% of the time. What happen is the same thing I fixed for unloaded solar panels a few months ago, namely that the sun visibility calculation is sampled very few times per-orbit at max timewarp.

@ShotgunNinjaWhen the vessel is loaded, the Kerbals die of C02 poisoning. When it is unloaded, they burn to death. I have a station and ship that both experience the issue, and after switching between them it seems that the EC drains when a vessel is not loaded. EC accumulates correctly at regular speed when a vessel is loaded, but the unloaded vessel's EC drains. At high warp is when the 'Kerbals dying' thing happens, and that seems to happen whether the vessel is loaded or not.

@bpilgrim Thanks for your cooperation. I think you are seeing two separate issues, one that I can reproduce (better described here), and another that I can't. Maybe because you have a different set of mods installed than me. I'm going to ask one last favour: show me your log. It is the KSP.log file in your KSP directory. Zip it, upload it somewhere, then send me the link.

15 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I just need confirmation that this code works

I already did the same code to improve the OPM patch that ships with Kerbalism. It works.

If you ever need to know if a MM patch works the easiest way is to load the game then check the ModuleManager.ConfigCache file in /GameData. Search for the part and see if the changes were made to its config

ShotgunNinja I will report back later on your reply after I make some tests, thanks!

Edited by Drew Kerman

4 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@bpilgrim Thanks for your cooperation. I think you are seeing two separate issues, one that I can reproduce (better described here), and another that I can't. Maybe because you have a different set of mods installed than me. I'm going to ask one last favour: show me your log. It is the KSP.log file in your KSP directory. Zip it, upload it somewhere, then send me the link.

@ShotgunNinjaHere are the log and my list of mods I have installed. I hope it's helpful!

16 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

(1) Right now, the experiment xmitScalar is used to deduce if some data is a transmissible file or a physical sample. I've set the threshold to 0.66 in last version, so any experiment with xmitScalar below 0.66 will be considered a sample, and all the others will be considered files. When the xmitScalar is not available (because data is hijacked from somewhere else than a stock experiment module) I assume it to be transmissible.

Ah, so that's where I messed things up - I was using a MM config to reduce the xmitScalar for a smaller file size. I will just edit the science experiment directly to change this, which is better anyways for this particular experiment.

16 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

(2) For transmission rates, I tried to model the real-life rates we got on similar antennas at conceptually similar positions in the solar system. For EC consumption I just went with something that could make sense balance-wise with progressively better antennas consuming more EC, but the rates are probably very wrong compared to reality. There are some save-breaking changes incoming in a few weeks, so if we want to use more realistic values this will be the right time to change them. Or even calculate them automatically as you suggest.

You sound open to the idea, so I will say that I definitely think the EC usage should be calculated, so antenna1 that's pumping out a 0.128Mbps signal over a range of 5Mm should be taking less power than antenna2 with the same data-rate but beaming it 20Mm. I think maybe @NemesisBosseret may have some things to say about this stuff since he's a comms guy

I like the thought of Kerbalism - its clearly very impressive, feature full and complete. My only struggle is to figure out what mods are/ are not compatible? It seems way more are than it appears on the front page, but still I try to figure out which are not. What about Tantares, or USI suite?

Thanks! 

ps. sorry if this is blatantly visible somewhere and I missed it.

@plausse Kerbalism is designed to patch all parts in your install with its features, so you can use most of part mods (like Tantares) with it. This said, a few modules could be missing from non explicitly supported mods, like antennas. The list of explicitely supported mods can be found by looking in the Kerbalism/Support folder :

Spoiler

ALCOR
    AtomicAge
    B9
    Bluedog
    Buffalo
    CLS
    CTT
    ContractConfigurator
    CxAerospace
    DeepFreeze
    EPL
    ETT
    HGR
    HabTech
    JX2Antenna
    KerbalAtomics
    MOLE
    NearFuture
    NewHorizons
    OPM
    OrbitalScience
    OrbitalTug
    Origami
    RLAStockalikeContinued
    RSS
    RealFuels
    SCANsat
    SEP
    SMURFF
    SRC
    SSPX
    SXT
    SoundingRockets
    Tundra
    VSR

Beside part mods, most "new-features" plugins should work, with the logical exception of other life-support mods (Snacks, TAC, USI-LS, etc) and mods that do background simulation of their resource that are shared by Kerbalism, and have a conflicting resource chain. A notable example of this is USI MKS, but other part-only USI mods should work.

Edited by Gotmachine

Just a quick question since I noticed this behavior this morning. I used DeepFreeze to freeze some Kerbals in orbit of Duna for about 2 years, they had originally accrued about 12% radiation and 5% stress. After sending a vessel to retrieve them, I woke them up and noticed that all factors had been reset, stress and radiation were at 0%. Is this intended? Certainly helpful for long-term colonies without needing to ship Kerbals around endlessly after 5-10 years.

Also, I had searched the thread and found a reply explaining that the exact opposite would happen (radiation would still affect frozen Kerbals), but that was almost a year ago.

Edited by IggyHitokage

@Uace24 This is compatible with RSS, in the sense that there are radiation fields definition for the celestial bodies, and that antenna transmission distances are scaled. About RO, I don't really know.

@IggyHitokage All values of a kerbal should be freezed in time, including radiation, when a third-party mod call the API.DisableKerbal function. DeepFreeze is calling that function when it hybernate kerbals. But from what you describe it seem that something is 'destroying' the kerbal at some point, leading to the values being forgotten.

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@IggyHitokage All values of a kerbal should be freezed in time, including radiation, when a third-party mod call the API.DisableKerbal function. DeepFreeze is calling that function when it hybernate kerbals. But from what you describe it seem that something is 'destroying' the kerbal at some point, leading to the values being forgotten.

When I have the time, I'll test it with a near-vanilla installation (just Kerbalism/DeepFreeze), I'm pretty sure it's probably another mod interacting incorrectly with it.

Edit: After some testing, it looks like it is a mod interacting with Kerbalism/DeepFreeze oddly. They do not reset radiation/stress upon waking, but they do not accumulate stress or radiation while frozen. Sorry for the false alarm, didn't think any of my other mods might do that.

Edited by IggyHitokage

@ShotgunNinja I'm working on a profile for RSS which renormalizes around a 24hr day - I'm using it in a RSS game but am still improving it. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to module manager, my question is, is it possible for a MM patch to reach into the kerbalism profile or settings? There are some things I'd like to do like change processes to liquid fuel -> methane etc, but only if realfuels is installed. Also, one of the things which needs to be renormalized is the solar flares, which should occur 1/4 as frequently and last 4x longer (they are extremely "spammy" on the time scale of a mission to Mars), but the solar flares are currently defined in settings.cfg.

7 minutes ago, blakemw said:

@ShotgunNinja I'm working on a profile for RSS which renormalizes around a 24hr day - I'm using it in a RSS game but am still improving it. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to module manager, my question is, is it possible for a MM patch to reach into the kerbalism profile or settings? There are some things I'd like to do like change processes to liquid fuel -> methane etc, but only if realfuels is installed. Also, one of the things which needs to be renormalized is the solar flares, which should occur 1/4 as frequently and last 4x longer (they are extremely "spammy" on the time scale of a mission to Mars), but the solar flares are currently defined in settings.cfg.

You're best bet is to create a Profile and then manually point kerbalism to it.  That's what I've done with KerbalismSimplified (see sig).  Copy the default profile and just edit the processes you wish to change.

37 minutes ago, blakemw said:

is it possible for a MM patch to reach into the kerbalism profile or settings

I'm sorry, but at the moment that is not possible. The reason is that settings and profiles are parsed before the MM loader start applying patches. I went this way to detect features from modifiers used, and then inject these as MM patches of the form '@Kerbalism:FOR[FeatureXXX] {}'. But now I reckon this limitation is not worth the benefits, so it will be lifted soon. And ideally environment-related settings will be specified in the profile directly.

38 minutes ago, blakemw said:

one of the things which needs to be renormalized is the solar flares

The space weather system is going to change a lot in the near future (see here), and 'EM/plasma' emissions are going to be specified per-body similar to how radiation fields are defined now.

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

You're best bet is to create a Profile and then manually point kerbalism to it.  That's what I've done with KerbalismSimplified (see sig).  Copy the default profile and just edit the processes you wish to change.

Yeah that's what I'm doing at the moment, it works fine for my purposes but is limited in adaptability since it can't adapt to presence of "optional" mods.

33 minutes ago, eberkain said:

An RSS profile would be great

You can use mine, it's not perfect but it works well enough. I also included the Settings.cfg since it adjusts solar storms. kerbalism-rss-profile

27 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I'm sorry, but at the moment that is not possible. The reason is that settings and profiles are parsed before the MM loader start applying patches. I went this way to detect features from modifiers used, and then inject these as MM patches of the form '@Kerbalism:FOR[FeatureXXX] {}'. But now I reckon this limitation is not worth the benefits, so it will be lifted soon. And ideally environment-related settings will be specified in the profile directly.

The space weather system is going to change a lot in the near future (see here), and 'EM/plasma' emissions are going to be specified per-body similar to how radiation fields are defined now.

Thanks for the explanation of what's going on under the hood, I suspected as much.

One thing worth mentioning is that in my RSS profile virtually all the changes are either multiplying or dividing by 4, basically I used a script which rewrote the default.cfg with these changes:

• interval x4 or rate /4 if interval is not defined (exception: EC remains unchanged)
  • input /4, output /4 (exception: EC)
  • radiation thresholds x4

Finally since I wanted to keep EC "instantaneous balance" the same I used a MM patch to increase EC storage of all parts x4 to account for longer eclipse times and to make battery powered missions more viable, this felt like a simpler solution than adjusting all EC consumption and production across the board.

But anyway, my point is that all the bulleted changes could be ideally applied by setting a single variable: "dayLengthMultiplier" or the like.

Edited by blakemw

Hello long time no see @ShotgunNinja,

I have encountered a new problem. Right now I have a contract to lunch a sience Lab to Mün.
I sent a stock Sience lab and a Since lab frome the Sience mod to that. I was shocked when the contract wasn't fulfilled.

Now I traced back every mod that modifies the stock sience and removed only one at a time.
- removal of Extraplanetary Launchpads: the stock lab doesn't fulfill the lab-request of the contract.
- removal of Station Sience: the stock lab doesn't fulfill the lab-request of the contract.
- removal of Kerbalism: the stock lab fullfill the lab request of the contract.

So in conclusion Kerbalism seems to modify sience in a way that it influences stock contract fullfillment.
My question is, has somebody else these problems?

@ShotgunNinja could you please check it out?
Right now my solution is to deactivate your sience, gladly you have an option in the settings :) good job

Edited by PieBue
add

@PieBue Add this somewhere in GameData, inside a file with .cfg extension.

@Contracts:NEEDS[FeatureScience]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @Base
  {
    @PART_REQUEST:HAS[#Module[ModuleScienceLab]] { @Module = Laboratory }
  }
  @Station
  {
    @PART_REQUEST:HAS[#Module[ModuleScienceLab]] { @Module = Laboratory }
  }
}

Edited by ShotgunNinja
it works now...

Update 1.2.4.

- SMURFF compatibility patch (@eberkain)
  - Laboratory module satisfy stock contracts
  - fix: resource amount not clamped to capacity
  - fix: script editor window UB after scene changes

About insta-death by co2 poisoning and climatization
I now know what cause this (#96), and will fix it in next version. Meanwhile, don't warp too fast :wink:.

6 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Update 1.2.4.

- SMURFF compatibility patch (@eberkain)
  - Laboratory module satisfy stock contracts
  - fix: resource amount not clamped to capacity
  - fix: script editor window UB after scene changes

About insta-death by co2 poisoning and climatization
I now know what cause this (#96), and will fix it in next version. Meanwhile, don't warp too fast :wink:.

@ShotgunNinja Nice work man, like always. Thanks for the hotfix! <-> to fast the hotfix doesn't work for me.

Edited by PieBue