[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

With version 1.2.6. is some problem with electricity, mod AmpYear shows that power production is 0 (when solar panels are in direct sunlight), reverted to version 1.2.2. and all work nice.

@MaxL_1023 These are nice ideas. Some experiments may also make sense to be inside a pod, or a probe core even. Unfortunately I have to leave untouched the stock goo and matlab, to not disrupt the early game progression, or else it would have made sense to also put biological experiments in the goo and material science experiments in the matlab.

@Uldis Unfortunately the timewarp fix for stock solar panel (introduced in 1.2.5) has to set the panel output to zero, as far as stock and other mods are concerned.

On 2017-4-30 at 7:30 AM, Drew Kerman said:

not quite this is better IMO:

@PART[*]:FINAL
{
  %MODULE[Reliability]
  {
    @mtbf *= 10
  }
}

In this case it should only modify the Reliability module if it is actually present, and you can use this to handle any other global part changes as well, all in one swoop.

You don't really have to use NEEDS or FOR if you're just using this for yourself. If you really want others to be able to use it, then NEEDS is the proper check to make as it will not run if Kerbalism is not present (but then this would be its own single-use patch). FOR is really only used with patches the mod itself distributes, as it will obviously have the mod installed. The FINAL statement makes sure your patch runs at the end so if anything else changes the value of mtbf you'll always have 10x that number

I have a couple of @PART[*] patches myself that I should probably condense into a single patch...

That does most of the tricks, however all these functional parts equipped with FASA satellites still dont have the tweaks. Which means..... very short MTBF

edit: All functional parts with command module cannot be tweaked by this config file

Edited by Iso-Polaris

1 hour ago, Iso-Polaris said:

however all these functional parts equipped with FASA satellites still dont have the tweaks

So you want to also add the reliability module to parts that don't have it? That would be a separate patch because then you would have to set the value for MTBF instead of modify it since no value exists already to x10

13 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@MaxL_1023 These are nice ideas. Some experiments may also make sense to be inside a pod, or a probe core even. Unfortunately I have to leave untouched the stock goo and matlab, to not disrupt the early game progression, or else it would have made sense to also put biological experiments in the goo and material science experiments in the matlab.

@Uldis Unfortunately the timewarp fix for stock solar panel (introduced in 1.2.5) has to set the panel output to zero, as far as stock and other mods are concerned.

Would you like to give us a list of parts that should have experiments, and some balance guidance?  Maybe we can crowdsource the individual experiment definitions.  I love the idea of greenhouse experiments, by the way.

Just lost a crew without warning and had to reload because it ran out of EC, when it had 1hr battery and 10 minute darkness time, in LKO.  I thought that bug was fixed?

Also, when looking at the craft, I had several Gb of data transmitting at 60Kb/s, so not really moving unless you timewarp.  But when I went back to Space Center, the data started transmitting at several 100 Mb/s.  Could that be what instantly destroyed my EC? 

EDIT:

Reloaded and checked again, EC stayed at 82% while the data transmitted in seconds while supposedly 60Kb/s. Then I went to VAB and left, and the vessel is at 0% EC and CO2 at 52% and everyone's dying.  Then it immediately starts charging fine from solar, whether I'm at Space Center or the craft.  It was running fine with 1 scrubber, I enabled a second now and yet it's stuck at exactly 52% CO2, and the crew's CO2 poisoning climbs until they die.  @ShotgunNinja What logs do you need?

I am getting this spamming in the logs, both in Space Center and Flight:

[EXC 21:10:38.096] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        KERBALISM.Lib.PrivateField[Dictionary`2] (System.Type type, System.Object instance, System.String field_name)
        KERBALISM.Science.generate_subject (System.String experiment, .CelestialBody body, System.String sit, System.String biome, Single multiplier)
        KERBALISM.Experiment.FixedUpdate ()

When in Space Center or Tracking Station, the craft's EC doesn't change, even though it's cycling day/night.  But when I change from one to the other, instant 0% EC and sometimes 0% Food and Water even though there was 2 years worth.

EDIT2:

I've removed the custom lab experiment Lab.cfg you gave me, and everything seems fixed.

Edited by lordcirth

This is a great mod, one of the most important in my collection of mods. Many thanks for the support of this mod!

Recently I found a mod "real batteries" it complementing the realism of using batteries. But not everything is so good, the background process of consuming/replenishing the stored energy and creating an electric charge does not work, if player observise space flight from tracking-stantion.

The developer of the "Real Batteries" knows about the actual problem, but does not know the right solution to it, could you give advice on how best to fix this problem.

Real battary dev thread.

Here's something I don't really get about the Monoprop Fuel Cell.

Why burn Monopropellant and Oxygen? Ammonia could be substituted in place of Monopropellant to do a better job as the SCO (Selective Catalytic Oxidation) of Ammonia into Nitrogen and Water Vapor.

As in, 4NH₃ + 3O₂ + Heat (EC required to reach between 250ºC and 400ºC) → 2N₂ + 6H₂O 

This would be a perfect way to use some of the Ammonia production from the waste processor as well as being a water and Nitrogen generator, without the need to burn a very pertinent fuel source. Plus it requires less oxygen needed for the reaction.

I'm really only suggesting this because the MFC not only chews up a lot of Monoprop and Oxygen to function, but if I don't use the MFC I have to lug around 60 Big Canisters of Nitrogen in order to have just a measly 2 years and some change of Nitrogen for a crew of 4 which really bogs my laptop down due to part counts.

Edited by chaoseclipse01
Error in formula; added proper name of process; fixed derpy mistake

I think I may have found a bug / mod incompatibility- I designed a nuclear tug using Kerbal Atomic's Neptune Trimodal Engine and Cryo LH2 tanks.  This engine has a 2 EC/s passive generator.  I also have a 12 1x6 solar panels, way more than needed.  Whenever I switch away, all power production seems to stop and it rapidly runs out of EC.  I don't see any error messages, though.

EDIT:  I see some previous discussion of a similar bug, but don't see a fix?

EDIT2: If I disable cooling, EC goes up when the vessel is unloaded.  Even a single tank Cooling seems to disable all EC generation on the vessel, however the boiloff unfortunately does occur.

EDIT3: Well, I've worked around it by setting the boiloff rate to 0 in the config, and leaving Cooling off.

Edited by lordcirth

I have always used TAC Life Support and someone in the KSS community just commented on an upcoming compatibility with Kerbalism. My question: is Kerbalism compatible with TAC or is it meant to be used independently? Is Kerbalism compatible with other mods that provide support for TAC? Greenhouses, and converters, ect..

27 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

I have always used TAC Life Support and someone in the KSS community just commented on an upcoming compatibility with Kerbalism. My question: is Kerbalism compatible with TAC or is it meant to be used independently? Is Kerbalism compatible with other mods that provide support for TAC? Greenhouses, and converters, ect..

Kerbalism and TAC share some resources but are otherwise not recommended to be used together due to some persisting bugs and maybe also some lack of explicit compatibility code. Maybe there is but I've never installed them together to see.

You might have to roll your own support for Kerbalism in other mods. How you write that support is fairly different to how you'd write the typical MM patch. This may explain the lack (imo) of mods that support Kerbalism, much less Kerbalism + TAC.

*Preliminary answer before ShotgunNinja comes and delivers the real info

Edited by JadeOfMaar

7 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

I don't see much point in using TAC + Kerbalism.  Just use Kerbalism, it's great.

2 hours ago, lordcirth said:

I don't see much point in using TAC + Kerbalism.  Just use Kerbalism, it's great.

excrements. I installed all support for my station and ships with TAC LS, I didn't even tried Kerbalism and there's a problem arosed. Well soinds a great mod, will try now. Thanks

18 hours ago, lordcirth said:

I think I may have found a bug / mod incompatibility- I designed a nuclear tug using Kerbal Atomic's Neptune Trimodal Engine and Cryo LH2 tanks.  This engine has a 2 EC/s passive generator.  I also have a 12 1x6 solar panels, way more than needed.  Whenever I switch away, all power production seems to stop and it rapidly runs out of EC.  I don't see any error messages, though.

EDIT:  I see some previous discussion of a similar bug, but don't see a fix?

EDIT2: If I disable cooling, EC goes up when the vessel is unloaded.  Even a single tank Cooling seems to disable all EC generation on the vessel, however the boiloff unfortunately does occur.

EDIT3: Well, I've worked around it by setting the boiloff rate to 0 in the config, and leaving Cooling off.

Which tanks are you using? There are multiple patches which add cryogenic tanks, and it might help to know which set of tanks is causing the issue. Do you get the same problem with all cryo tanks?

Is there a way to get the stress value up to "perpetual?" I can't seem to get it higher than 3 or 4 years - not enough time to get to Gauss or Nero in 10.6257x GPP. Should I just manually scale the values?

Is Kerbalism compatible with Mods like USI Kolonization System?? or should I say is Kolonization compatible with Kerbalism?

TAC LS and USI Kololization system kinda go hand in hand

Edited by Voodoo8648

37 minutes ago, klugeh01 said:

Which tanks are you using? There are multiple patches which add cryogenic tanks, and it might help to know which set of tanks is causing the issue. Do you get the same problem with all cryo tanks?

I have not tested other cryo mods.

12 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Is there a way to get the stress value up to "perpetual?" I can't seem to get it higher than 3 or 4 years - not enough time to get to Gauss or Nero in 10.6257x GPP. Should I just manually scale the values?

I'm not certain, but I suspect that providing 40 m^3 of living space for each kerbal will keep them comfortable indefinitely. 

Does it have to be exactly 40? I had 56 with pressurization and all the comfort equipment and only got about 3.5 years ( probably 20 in stock scale,  this was 10.6257x)

The mod is great but i often crashes the game while quicksaving and on launch. Don't detect TAC LS sometimes and the main I'm in early Mid-Carrer and all of my Comms network is shut off. No more relays now. I lost contact to my first Solar probe with a communtorn 16, which was totally dependent on my Comms Network. Need help, plz make comms system usable again.Lab can only research Samples, then what about all the data we collected in ours Labs.

Thanks for great mod.

Edited by PrathamK
Its a great mod, but plz don't disrupt stock system, which are almost the accurate.

I really like this mod, but I recently noticed that if I try to play a scenario with it installed I'm stuck skipping physics frames (yellow MET clock) and a number of controls don't work.  KSP logs show an exception in the KERBALISM.Reliability.Update() function.  This exception seems to occur every 2-3 milliseconds.

[EXC 21:59:18.739] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KERBALISM.DB.Vessel (.Vessel v)
	KERBALISM.Reliability.highlight (.Part p)
	KERBALISM.Reliability.Update ()

I attached the full logs to a github issue: https://github.com/ShotgunNinja/Kerbalism/issues/124

Edited by gulegule
Added github issue w/ logs

20 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Does it have to be exactly 40? I had 56 with pressurization and all the comfort equipment and only got about 3.5 years ( probably 20 in stock scale,  this was 10.6257x)

To be honest, I'm not even sure I'm right. 

And is 10.6 the linear scale multiplier? Don't you need to take the cube root for volume?