[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

Sorry, but I no lomger can continue this mod. As i installed it, game Crashed, when I opened up my save, Crashes when exits one and enters another KSC building, while Returing to Tracking Center from My ship via menu, Changing Vessels, and I cant launch any vessels anymore, if it gets loaded, Start the Stage, Crash. Can't launch Larger Rockets, game crashes while launching, 1 launch tooks more than 6 times game crash and still cant. 

Hi there, @ShotgunNinja, i have a little feedback from my interplanetary (Target Joolsystem) transfervessel examination, everything works quite well and reasonable, i think i can send six kerbals with three (better four:wink:) greenhouses to a longterm nearly selfsufficient mission with some confidence of survival...
But one thing gives me headackes, the amount of nitrogen needed to maintain the pressure of a vessel with around 150m3 or way more atmosphere is quite... extreme... in case of a sudden need to depressurize the whole shebang for various reasons and refill the livingspace again while on journey makes the amount of nitrogen needed really immense... i know it is a design decision but couldn`t it be that excessive use of ducttape might decrease the amount of nitrogen leaking through the hull...? :wink:
I would be happy if the leakrate could be the half of the current size... still a challenge for long journeys...
Just saying... Cheers!:)

@Swithmario You can choose what messages are shown for each vessel. Click on the vessel name in monitor (this thing here),

monitor.png

then click on 'CFG'. Now you are shown the 'vessel config' options. Disable the warnings that you don't want for that particular vessel.

@PrathamK You are the only one complaining about hard crashes using this mod. Everybody else doesn't have your issues. So maybe you are experiencing what is called a 'user error' :sticktongue: Try wiping out KSP and all mods, and start over installing only a barebone set of mods.

@Mikki I understand. The leak rates are going to be lowered in the next version.

On 5/8/2017 at 1:36 PM, ShotgunNinja said:

@PrathamK You are the only one complaining about hard crashes using this mod. Everybody else doesn't have your issues. So maybe you are experiencing what is called a 'user error' :sticktongue: Try wiping out KSP and all mods, and start over installing only a barebone set of mods

Its my 5th mod after Mechjeb, SCANSat, Mining Expansion and  KAS. (Respectively)

Its then a crash bug that occurs rarely or is some mod mistake. The settings in Github and In my .Cfg, were different, 5 at start and 'False' while in cfg, they were already 'True'.

Edited by Dman979
English only outside of the International Subforums

On 5/6/2017 at 6:34 AM, ShotgunNinja said:

I'll think about it. Also maybe I should further reduce atmosphere leaking...

Rather than reduce atmosphere leakage as a whole, why not add in an atmosphere leakage tweakable to manned command modules?

As in, have a tweakable named "Hydrostatic Assurance" which with a quality of normal atmosphere leaks at the current rate you have set, and with a quality of high it reduces the leak rate to only 1/3rd. Have the higher quality leak checking cost more to help keep a balance for realism.

Edited by chaoseclipse01
Double quoted by mistake

2 hours ago, chaoseclipse01 said:

Rather than reduce atmosphere leakage as a whole, why not add in an atmosphere leakage tweakable to manned command modules?

As in, have a tweakable named "Hydrostatic Assurance" which with a quality of normal atmosphere leaks at the current rate you have set, and with a quality of high it reduces the leak rate to only 1/3rd. Have the higher quality leak checking cost more to help keep a balance for realism.

I think that's needlessly complex, Kerbalism has enough buttons and dials already IMHO.

@ShotgunNinja Is there a way to automate repairs? Also I got an idea, to make repairs require spare parts. The need to automate repairs is something I have, as I am planning on doing interstellar colonization, with the crew being in cryo-sleep for a few centuries. I've tested it out, what happens is the ship gets badly damaged after just 100 years, making it very difficult to wake the crew, and some repairs simply don't work when they are critically damaged.  

@The-Doctor Right now I'm doing minor updates, mostly bugfixing. But the next major savegame-breaking refactor I have plans to introduce an Hardware resource, that will be required to do repairs and to 'install' things in flight. You will also be able to dismantle existing components to get some Hardware. In this new system, repairs will be equivalent to 'replacing' the component with a new one.

Could you also add in automation for that update so that repairs can be done while the crew sleeps,

Less needed, but this is an idea I have, say, prioritize which parts get repaired. So let's say they need hardware to repair parts, if you could set it to take hardware from, lets say, everything but critical systems, so everything else on the ship gets mothballed to repair the reactor, engines and life support systems, to ensure mission success. If you could like create a rule system to prioritize what gets mothballed and what doesn't.

Any idea when this game breaking update will be? I don't wanna launch a massive interstellar colonization mission then have it have to be scrapped

@The-Doctor Well, personally I think that if repairs are automated then what is the point? It will just become another resource to carry. So let's the user choose what to repair and how, instead. If malfunctions are too frequent we can just increase the mtbf.

Unfortunately I have to break savegames to do some of the changes. I'm timing these with the next major KSP release, but probably they'll happen some time after that. If KSP 1.3 is released soon I may port the mod to it before starting to break everything. But no promises.

@KerbolExplorer Yes, RTFM.

Some notes. I see reports of people that can't manage crewed missions over long distances and time. That is merely a consequence of the 'more or less' realistic constrains introduced by this mod. As they become more realistic, these crewed missions limits start to resemble the real ones. There are reasons we are not going to Mars yet. In additions, some things in this mod are still not nearly hard as in reality. The greenhouse for instance is way overpowered. In reality you need a much larger biomass volume to even think of sustaining a single crew member. As another example, a dual-bed vacuum-exposing regenerative scrubber can't reclaim carbon dioxide. These are just examples. So, it would seem that crewed missions over long distances and time are not practical. Yet. We the ingenuous people of the earth are going to find solutions to all problems eventually. To represent that I am thinking of adding some new ways to deal with life support, always based in reality. Instead of dumbing down the challenge of surviving the space environment, I want to give more means to deal with it. So if you have an idea to contribute in this regard, you are welcome to share it. Some things I'm considering, to give you examples: scrubbing and feeding out of algaes, in-vitro meat growing, waterwall radiation shielding.

@Cheesecake There are definitions for the celestial bodies in RSS, but these have a ModuleManager :NEEDS[RealSolarSystem] statement. So, even if that planet pack you are using has the same body names these have no radiation field definitions. The solution is very easy for you: create a copy of the file Support/RSS.cfg. In that copy, replace all occurrences of NEEDS[RealSolarSystem] with NEEDS[QuarterSizedRSS] (or whatever the directory for that mod is called). You don't need to change the actual field definitions because everything is expressed in body radii so it will scale automatically.

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Some notes. I see reports of people that can't manage crewed missions over long distances and time.

I'm just starting out, but to me the psychological/homesickness aspect is daunting. One quick brainstorm is to have these factors calculated on a per-kerbal basis, based on the courage, stupidity, and BadA traits. High courage+low stupidity would give a bonus, BadA would give an even bigger one, etc. This could be fun because it ends up being like the crew from an Alien movie or something :D

Another thing I thought of is based on the assumption that kerbals are a race that lives for adventure and exploration. Keeping a kerbal cooped up in a station or base or vessel around/on one body would eventually bore them, but the act of going to a new location (code wise this could be leaving the SOI of a body then entering a new one, or even the idea of entering a new SOI extracted from the conics) could make them happy again. The steps could be leaving an old place, the anticipation of getting to a new planet, then finally arriving, each of these steps alleviating some of the angst. 

These are obviously just throwing stuff and seeing what sticks, maybe they fit into the Kerbalism world, maybe they don't :)

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

2 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I'm just starting out, but to me the psychological/homesickness aspect is daunting.

Kerbalism is compatible with the DeepFreeze mod, which allows you to put your kerbals into stasis for longer flights. Watch Passengers for an idea of the implications :wink:

Just now, klugeh01 said:

Kerbalism is compatible with the DeepFreeze mod, which allows you to put your kerbals into stasis for longer flights. Watch Passengers for an idea of the implications :wink:

Yep I do have deep freeze, but am on the fence about actually using it. It's a bit into Sci-Fi territory and maybe seems a bit OP?

@Waxing_Kibbous, I don't think it is currently implemented, but it may be possible to write a patch for reliability in DeepFreeze, making it much more balanced. As it stands, Deepfreeze is balanced by the amount of resources required for freezing/waking up a kerbal. If something critical fails on your ship (not a DeepFreeze part), you may have to wake up your engineer to fix/replace it. If enough parts fail, you may not be able to wake up your entire crew, or risk not being able to put someone back into stasis...