[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

On Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 7:31 AM, lordcirth said:

I think that's needlessly complex, Kerbalism has enough buttons and dials already IMHO.

Not really. It would add in another button to worry about when building craft, but it would further reduce the need to bring so many Nitrogen canisters, on top of reflecting a real-world process into a mod all about realism. I used to perform Hydrostatic Testing on fire extinguisher bottles back when I was in the Navy. The process itself is pretty simple enough. It's just taking a container of any sort and pulling a vacuum on it, then submerging it under water, then testing to make sure water doesn't seep into the container (Water is used since H2O is a much smaller molecule than what air is), then pressurize the container with whatever you plan on filling it up to a multiple value of its rated pressure to ensure the container can withstand a worst case scenario of pressurization so that it doesn't randomly explode (Or in this case, to make sure the capsule doesn't rupture due to being pressurized in the vaccuum of space, and that leaks don't start happening right away).

Edited by chaoseclipse01
Fixed typos and bad wording.

IDK @ShotgunNinja but having interstellar colonization where you have to timewarp for hours, kinda makes it super hard to do manual repairs. The main issue is, when one colony is set up and I move to a next star, it's gonna make it very hard to reach that star, because the colony stuff will need maintenance if it's all manual. Being automated would be good once it requires hardware as you stated

11 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

IDK @ShotgunNinja but having interstellar colonization where you have to timewarp for hours, kinda makes it super hard to do manual repairs. The main issue is, when one colony is set up and I move to a next star, it's gonna make it very hard to reach that star, because the colony stuff will need maintenance if it's all manual. Being automated would be good once it requires hardware as you stated

But as he said, if you automate repairs, it's no longer repairs, maintenance, etc.  It has no meaning or purpose. It's just another bar that you have to fill with 20 years worth of stuff. 

Try to minimize part clutter while having some redundancy, and maybe disable critical failures unless you want to use KAS/KIS so you can physically replace parts, which would actually be pretty neat.

Perhaps a compromise? Someone could whip up some expensive, heavy, power-hungry part called "autonomous repair nanodrone storage" or some such, which would automatically do repairs, but only if the module is present and activated. 

Or, you could just turn your MTBF way way up during cruise, down again in-system. 

16 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Perhaps a compromise? Someone could whip up some expensive, heavy, power-hungry part called "autonomous repair nanodrone storage" or some such, which would automatically do repairs, but only if the module is present and activated. 

Or, you could just turn your MTBF way way up during cruise, down again in-system. 

Perhaps instead set up reliability decay to deactivate when you turn things off, like as in RW's, RCS, Engines, solar panels, life support, habitats, etc. (No sense in that stuff breaking when they're not in use) Then for anything probe related, when set into hibernation mode, have that so the MTBF increases drastically like how setting a probe to hibernate reduces EC (or Megajoule) consumption.

This is more aimed at @ShotgunNinja than anything.

Edited by chaoseclipse01

@ShotgunNinja I have an idea to add to Kerbalism. Why not add in aging? Let's say Kerbals die at 125 years, they get old and die like how they die from lack of oxygen. You could also add in support for texture replacer where you see their hair get grey. You could also add in a function to give birth to kerbals, idk what you would call it, maybe procreation chance. That if you have female kerbals and male kerbals and good lifesupport, the procreation chance increases after about say, 5 years, then they could possible make a child. You could also add in a function that shows kerbal relationships, similar to a mod I saw years ago, you could make it that if there's a failure, or problems go unfixed that kerbal relationships degrade, and that you could actively see it on their faces with them getting angrier or sadder. This could cause interesting mission designs as well as encourage people to make new Kerbals or to use mods that allow kerbals to be birthed 

Hey @ShotgunNinja @chaoseclipse01 I figure you guys may like this. I updated my parts mod yesterday, Airline Kuisine, adding a long cabin with KIS storage and the two comforts: Exercise and Panorama (as with the short cabin, see spoiler), and adding Ammonia to the air harvester.

Spoiler

JL2BLj6.jpg

After spotting and fixing a huge problem with GPP in the process (the Ammonia CRP deal :rolleyes: ) I figured an Ammonia intake would come in handy for if/when an Ammonia-consuming fuel cell is implemented, and if anyone uses Kerbalism in a star system with an Ammonia/LqdAmmonia presence.

When I can I will test out an MM patch that will convert any LqdAmmonia presence to Ammonia, or clone and rename to leave the LqdAmmonia presence un-disturbed. It may not be worthwhile in the stock system, but there's plenty to be found in GPP. So let's say...someone wanted to start a farm on a far off planet or moon and sustain crew without shipping all the food from Kerbin Gael. They could possibly get things done by directly sifting Ammonia from its atmosphere.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

30 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Hey @ShotgunNinja @chaoseclipse01 I figure you guys may like this. I updated my parts mod yesterday, Airline Kuisine, adding a long cabin with the two comforts: Exercise and Panorama (as with the short cabin, see spoiler), and adding Ammonia to the air harvester.

Reveal hidden contents

JL2BLj6.jpg

After spotting and fixing a huge problem with GPP in the process (the Ammonia CRP deal :rolleyes: ) I figured an Ammonia intake would come in handy for if/when an Ammonia-consuming fuel cell is implemented, and if anyone uses Kerbalism in a star system with an Ammonia/LqdAmmonia presence.

When I can I will test out an MM patch that will convert any LqdAmmonia presence to Ammonia, or clone and rename to leave the LqdAmmonia presence un-disturbed. It may not be worthwhile in the stock system, but there's plenty to be found in GPP. So let's say...someone wanted to start a farm on a far off planet or moon and sustain crew without shipping all the food from Kerbin Gael. They could possibly get things done by directly sifting Ammonia from its atmosphere.

That's not a bad idea on my end, though even in Stock system ammonia isn't terribly hard to come by, between Kerbalism's Haber Process Chemical Plant and the Waste Processor Module for manned command pods, you can generally over-generate Ammonia for even 10 of the 2.5m Greenhouses that Kerbalism includes with only a crew of 4, the biggest problem so far is getting past the atmosphere (and Nitrogen) leakage once you get off the starting planet. Reason why I suggested the SCO of Ammonia into Nitrogen and Water Vapor is because it consumes a biological waste product you generally end up over producing in-flight, and it doesn't consume Monopropellant which is a very pertinent fuel source unless you have an alternate RCS fuel type.

On 5/8/2017 at 6:36 PM, ShotgunNinja said:

@Swithmario You can choose what messages are shown for each vessel. Click on the vessel name in monitor (this thing here),

monitor.png

then click on 'CFG'. Now you are shown the 'vessel config' options. Disable the warnings that you don't want for that particular vessel.

@PrathamK You are the only one complaining about hard crashes using this mod. Everybody else doesn't have your issues. So maybe you are experiencing what is called a 'user error' :sticktongue: Try wiping out KSP and all mods, and start over installing only a barebone set of mods.

@Mikki I understand. The leak rates are going to be lowered in the next version.

its too late sorry i deleted my save and the mod

@lordcirth@The-Doctor, I can confirm that using KIS/KAS to physically replace parts adds a wonderful element of realism. Nothing quite like sending a drone rocket up to rendezvous with your asteroid tug to resupply it with everything from solar panels to replacement drills and nuclear fuel (I also use NFT)

Uh...I recently made a new game because I managed to find the Dev build for FAR that works with 1.2.2...and now my solar panels don't work, at all. They don't produce EC, but instead they all produce kW as an output resource, and they never put any kW out at all, even with 100% exposure...does this mod change the way Solar Panels act? Or am I going to have to delete mods one at a time to find out what mods I recently installed that changed the way my solar panels work? I haven't been using panels in such a long time since Ive been harvesting Antimatter using Antimatter collection stations.

About the only mod I can imagine that changed how my solar panels works is USI tools, since it was a dependent mod needed for Coyote Space Industries.

Edited by chaoseclipse01

48 minutes ago, klugeh01 said:

@lordcirth@The-Doctor, I can confirm that using KIS/KAS to physically replace parts adds a wonderful element of realism. Nothing quite like sending a drone rocket up to rendezvous with your asteroid tug to resupply it with everything from solar panels to replacement drills and nuclear fuel (I also use NFT)

this is an interstellar mission 

Is it possible to add the exercise bike *ahem treadmill to other modules via MM? I'm playing with the station parts expansion, it'd be nice to add some gear to other parts.

Edit: I dug it up, just add this to a MM cfg with the name of the part (here it is the crewpod-habitation-25)

@PART[crewpod-habitation-25]:NEEDS[FeatureComfort]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = Comfort
    bonus = exercise
    desc = A treadmill designed to permit exercise in zero-g is included. The crew will love it.
  }

MODULE:NEEDS[FeatureReliability]
  {
    name = Reliability
    type = Comfort
    title = Treadmill
    repair = Engineer
    mtbf = 36288000 // 4y
    extra_cost = 0.25
    extra_mass = 0.05
  }

@tags ^= :$: comfort:
}

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

On 4/15/2017 at 11:52 AM, Gotmachine said:

@Andrea Galimberti I can't see anything wrong in you profile.

Do you have CRP (Community Resource Pack) installed, by chance ? Kerbalism RESOURCE_DEFINITION for Waste is not exactly the same as the one in CRP (CRP define a custom "hsp"), I've heard that this could lead to two different incompatible resources with the same name to coexist :

CRP definition :

Hide contents
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Waste
density = 0.00075
hsp = 600 // specific heat capacity (kJ/tonne-K as units) // FIXME total guess
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = true
isVisible = true
unitCost = 0
volume = 1
ksparpicon = TriggerTech/KSPAlternateResourcePanel/Icons/Waste

}

Kerbalism definition :

Hide contents

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = Waste
  volume = 1
  density = 0.00075
  unitCost = 0
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
  isVisible = true
}

Is it possible to have a workable config of CRP with Kerbalism?

9 minutes ago, Nathangun said:

It would likely require @ShotgunNinja to reconfigure all of his overlapping resources to match up with CRP definitions.  Just guessing that would be a non-trivial undertaking.

10 minutes ago, Nathangun said:

Excepting Ammonia, you ( and ShotgunNinja ) can merely delete the whole "same as CRP" section in its Resources.cfg. (CRP has LqdAmmonia but not Ammonia.) Judging by the existence of this section Kerbalism must seek to avoid dependency on CRP, or it is a leftover from way back when planet packs and varieties of mine-able resources weren't yet commonplace.

40 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Excepting Ammonia, you ( and ShotgunNinja ) can merely delete the whole "same as CRP" section in its Resources.cfg. (CRP has LqdAmmonia but not Ammonia.) Judging by the existence of this section Kerbalism must seek to avoid dependency on CRP, or it is a leftover from way back when planet packs and varieties of mine-able resources weren't yet commonplace.

Kerbalism isn't old enough to predate CRP.  Those resources have been there for quite awhile and were well established before Kerbalism came on the scene.

Just now, goldenpsp said:

Kerbalism isn't old enough to predate CRP.  Those resources have been there for quite awhile and were well established before Kerbalism came on the scene.

Oh. Cool. Btw, maybe this is irrelevant here but what's the volume parameter for? Some resource definitions have it.

2 hours ago, Nathangun said:

Seems my intervention caused a bit of confusion. What I know for sure is this : Kerbalism is designed to be compatible with CRP, no need to do anything for the two to work together. Kerbalism use some resources that are defined in CRP, but those resource are also defined in the Kerbalism files to avoid CRP being required for Kerbalism to work. I suspected this system could have been the cause of @Andrea Galimberti issue but it turned out that I was wrong.

11 minutes ago, Gotmachine said:

Seems my intervention caused a bit of confusion. What I know for sure is this : Kerbalism is designed to be compatible with CRP, no need to do anything for the two to work together. Kerbalism use some resources that are defined in CRP, but those resource are also defined in the Kerbalism files to avoid CRP being required for Kerbalism to work. I suspected this system could have been the cause of @Andrea Galimberti issue but it turned out that I was wrong.

Yes but in the above reference if you have 2 of the same named resource with different definitions that would make them not compatible wouldn't it?  That is what brought the CRP to life way back in the day, namely 3 different but very popular mods defining "water" with different properties.

Edited by goldenpsp

@goldenpsp But in this case, Kerbalism use the CRP definitions to avoid the issue, and I totally understand @ShotgunNinja not wanting to add CRP as a dependency. The difference I pointed out is due to CRP being updated with custom HSP values but Kerbalism defintions weren't updated to reflect these changes. This is a problem and must be fixed (Kerbalism definitions should match CRP ones), but from a quick testing the "duplicate resource" issue isn't happening anymore, looks like something changed in how KSP handle duplicated resource definition since the early days of CRP.

Just now, Gotmachine said:

@goldenpsp But in this case, Kerbalism use the CRP definitions to avoid the issue, and I totally understand @ShotgunNinja not wanting to add CRP as a dependency. The difference I pointed out is due to CRP being updated with custom HSP values but Kerbalism defintions weren't updated to reflect these changes. This is a problem and must be fixed (Kerbalism definitions should match CRP ones), but from a quick testing the "duplicate resource" issue isn't happening anymore, looks like something changed in how KSP handle duplicated resource definition since the early days of CRP.

Gotcha,  I misunderstood the nature of the post above.

Is Kerbalism 1.2.7 bogus????

I just updated to version 1.2.7 and noticed the ISRU, treadmills and ECLSS controls disappeared from the context menu of the parts (the one you get by right-clicking on the part) both in flight and in the VAB.

Only the controls disappeared, because I noticed some ISRU processes are running. Other UI items, such as display of radiation belt, are perfectly working.

Do someone else have this problem? Or it's just my installation that isn't working?

Thank you for any help (*sigh*)