[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

5 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@RocketBlam Do you have ModuleManager 2.7.5+ installed? Do you see an 'heartbeat' category icon in the VAB?

screenshot18.png

is there a way I can give that tab a name? I'm sorry but everytime I mouse over it and nothing pops up I have to remind myself that nothing is broken :P

8 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@RocketBlam Do you have ModuleManager 2.7.5+ installed? Do you see an 'heartbeat' category icon in the VAB?

screenshot18.png

No, I didn't. I installed it with CKAN and it worked (CKAN knew it need Module Manager).

Next question... are the antennas combinable? That info seems to have been removed from the tooltips.

51 minutes ago, RocketBlam said:

are the antennas combinable?

You can use multiple antennas in a vessel to transmit and receive. The total data transfer rate will be the sum of the ones for each antenna. But having multiple antennas will not increase the distance at which you can transmit. In the VAB, look at the 'signal' panel in the planner. It will show you both the transmission distance and the data transfer rate determined by the antennas you have added to the vessel.

What is the rate that shielding drains at? Is there a formula I can use to calculate how much shielding I need for a given mission, like, for example, a trip to the Mun and back? I searched both the wiki and this thread pretty hard before posting here and came up with nothing, but I apologize if this really has been answered before.

EDIT: Found the answer. 

Edited by killbotvii

@killbotvii That answer is really good. To extend on that, it is rather complex to determine how much shielding you need for a mission. There is a planner in the VAB (if you didn't find it already) that is more or less indispensable. So you setup your vessel and the shielding, set a target body in the planner and it tell you life estimates in the various radiation environments encountered toward or upon arrival to the target, or in case of space weather events.

@chaoseclipse01 Do you still have the issue with wrong orientation of radiation fields? If yes, try cleaning up all kind of cache files from your GameData folder (MM or Kopernicus ones). Assuming you are not using planet packs that remove the main star (eg: binary star mods or the like), if the issue persist please raise an issue on github or post log/modlist here.

@Drew Kerman I'm going to put a label on that icon in next version.

On 2017-5-2 at 11:59 PM, Drew Kerman said:

So you want to also add the reliability module to parts that don't have it? That would be a separate patch because then you would have to set the value for MTBF instead of modify it since no value exists already to x10

Its do have MTBF value but will not effect by that config file you wrote

8 hours ago, Andrea Galimberti said:

A question about part reliability: is the failure probability dependent on the active/inactive state of the part? I mean, can I extend the expected life of a solar panel closing it?

No.  Actually I was talking with shotgunninja on github about adding this for engines, but it would require some code changes.

Hey! So I saw a mission stating I have to keep someone alive for 30 days in orbit. (not sure if its this mod or not) I was like pshhh easy money. Well turns out its not. I had over 30 days for food water and everything but one thing I didn't take into account was co2 poisoning. So my question is how do I get rid of co2? I now have a dead spacecraft forever in orbit to remind me of jebs death :(

I have another MM request :) I'm playing with the Colonist mod, and I'd like to make them either immune to hab effects similar to MKS, or just have a longer duration than the others. Anyone have any ideas how to make this happen?

1 hour ago, cactuscrazez said:

Hey! So I saw a mission stating I have to keep someone alive for 30 days in orbit. (not sure if its this mod or not) I was like pshhh easy money. Well turns out its not. I had over 30 days for food water and everything but one thing I didn't take into account was co2 poisoning. So my question is how do I get rid of co2? I now have a dead spacecraft forever in orbit to remind me of jebs death :(

You need to put a Scrubber ECLSS module in the pod, make sure it's on, and don't run out of power.  It's usually there by default, though?  And whenever planning a mission, go through the whole simulator UI in VAB and check everything.  Also btw Water Recycler modules will be very helpful once you go for >90 day.

New version released: 1.2.8

Changelog:
- rebalanced atmosphere leak rate from ISS data
- new process in chemical plant: SCO (selective catalytic oxidation of NH3 to N2)
- radiation fields can now be oriented using a specific reference body
- lowered abundance thresholds of ore and co2 harvesters
- scale part icon of pressurized radial containers
- custom order of part icons in our category
- Coatl Aerospace support patch (@dieDoktor)
- fix: properly detect if drill head intersect ground
- fix: no more signal warnings on prelaunch
- fix: false detection of incoherent oxygen production
- fix: try to not break AmpYear/BonVoyage solar panel output detection

Rebalanced atmosphere leaks rate
There isn't much real-world data on leak rates. I started from this ISS analysis here, assumed 10 EVAs from the US and 10 from the Russian sections per-year, and that most experiments leaking atmosphere are on all the time. Strangely NASA doesn't associate leak rates with surface extension. Anyway some more educated guess laters I ended up with these numbers:

• ISS volume (2011): 899 m³
  • ISS surface (assume a spherical station, what else): 425.39 m²
  • measured structural leak rate (2011): 0.227 Kg/day
  • estimated leak rate from activities: 1.543 Kg/day
  • total ISS leak rate: 1.77 Kg/day
  • considering leak rate to be linear with surface: ~0.004 Kg/m²/day
  • final leak rate used, assuming equivalence with 6h day-length: 0.000000148 unit/m²/second

New process: SCO
Now the fun stuff: there is a new late-game process, the Selective Catalytic Oxidation of Ammonia to Nitrogen (simply SCO for the friends). It plays quite well in this chain:

SCO_nice_path.png

Radiation field orientation
It is now possible to specify the celestial body that should be used in determining the radiation field orientation. This is useful for planet packs that add multiple stars, and want to align the magnetopause of each body with the right star.

RadiationBody
{
  name = Proxima Centauri B
  [...]
  reference = 16 //< the index of the star Proxima Centauri
}

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Radiation field  orientation
It is now possible to specify the celestial body that should be used in determining the radiation field orientation. This is useful for planet packs that add multiple stars, and want to align the magnetopause of each body with the right star.

RadiationBody
{
  name = Proxima Centauri B
  [...]
  reference = 16 //< the index of the star Proxima Centauri
}

Just add the line "reference" line into every RadiationBody node? Okay. But what is the number? The FlightGlobalsIndex? Or the instance number of the RadiationBody node?

here is a MM patch for anyone that wants their low-gain antennas always draining power

@PART[]:FINAL
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleGenerator
    isAlwaysActive = true
    INPUT_RESOURCE
    {
      name = ElectricCharge
      rate = #$/MODULE[Antenna]/cost$
    }
  }
}

So this patch above can be used to apply to any individual part (fill in the name) you know has a low-gain antenna, and it is tied directly to the antenna cost so if Kerbalism support configs change this will update as well.

Other considerations could be made as well, such as applying this to all parts with low gain antennas:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Antenna]:HAS[#type[low_gain]]]:FINAL
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleGenerator
    isAlwaysActive = true
    INPUT_RESOURCE
    {
      name = ElectricCharge
    }
  }
}

Or maybe not all low-gain antennas but just those meant to remain in contact for basic telemetry data, so we'll say any antenna with a bitrate less than 0.01MB/s:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Antenna]:HAS[#type[low_gain]&#rate[<0.01]]]:FINAL
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleGenerator
    isAlwaysActive = true
    INPUT_RESOURCE
    {
      name = ElectricCharge
    }
  }
}

These last two patches are untested because I personally have not decided how I want to handle this myself yet and am only doing it with a single part I'm using for all my launches at the moment.

Also a good point for consideration:

Edited by Drew Kerman

7 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

New process: SCO
Now the fun stuff: there is a new late-game process, the Selective Catalytic Oxidation of Ammonia to Nitrogen (simply SCO for the friends). It plays quite well in this chain

Glad to see more processes being adding. I think we desperately need more ways to get LqdFuel from somewhere. Right now we only have Sabatier which is CO2-hungry, and there's no way to really generate that much CO2. Industrial CO2 is produced from kilning limestone (among other rocks), so I suggest that the molten regolith electrolysis include a CO2 output too.

Just for balance reasons, I think it's a good idea to make sure there's always a viable <drill-able material> + EC => LqdFuel + <Oxygen/Oxidizer> process that players can concoct from sub-processes.

One more idea: I believe NASA planned on doing aluminum oxide electrolysis on Moon rocks. The aluminum could be reacted with ammonium perchlorate (we can almost synthesize this in Kerbalism already) and you get the solid rocket fuel APCP (without binding agents)! This way we'd have (approximately) an ore + EC + ammonium => SolidFuel process, which could be useful and something not even in the stock game. It makes for interesting gameplay too because you have to lug empty SRBs to your refueling station, and then you get a fuel that's not particularly efficient, so you have to evaluate when mining solid fuel is worthwhile.

@podbaydoor LqdFuel production was the main reason I made the Waste Incinerator, the way I use it is by drilling water, splitting the water by Electrolysis for the H2/O2, collect Waste from greenhouses via water recycling then use the incinerator to burn the waste with O2, finally I use the Sabatier with the H2 and CO2 but it does take forever though. On a side note I use the excess Ammonia to make Monopropellant.

I like the idea of some type of process to make CO2 from drilled ore though.

On 5/22/2017 at 0:51 AM, Drew Kerman said:

here is a MM patch for anyone that wants their low-gain antennas always draining power

Won't this double-count the electrical usage when using the antenna to transmit? You might need to zero out the electrical requirement in the antenna module.

36 minutes ago, leomike said:

Won't this double-count the electrical usage when using the antenna to transmit? You might need to zero out the electrical requirement in the antenna module.

the idea is that this antenna does not transmit actual science data, just telemetry. But you still make a good point! Right now as I'm using it my craft has no other antenna and doesn't transmit science anyways so no problem there, but def a consideration for anyone who is going so far as to have a telemetry link and a separate comms antenna. Like I said, still a very niche-use config at the moment I'm not even sure myself how I will expand my use of it later in my career

55 minutes ago, SpaceIsCool said:

Is Galileo's planet pack supported?

Yes

from the GPP readme: 

Recommended mods with support for or by GPP

• Environmental Visual Enhancements - min-version: 1.2-2
  • Scatterer - min-version: 0.0300
  • TextureReplacer
  • Distant Object Enhancements
  • PlanetShine
  • JX2 Large Antenna
  • Kerbalism
  • Strategia
  • RemoteTech
  • MechJeb
  • ResearchBodies
  • Waypoint Manager
  • Decal Stickers
  • USI Constellation

:wink: 

Edited by Galileo

So does the simulator calculate shielding effectiveness based on the volume/mass of the entire craft? I have a craft with max shielding but can only survive 416 days interplanetary, but when I remove the tanks and engines (accounting for 85% craft mass), the simulator says 10 years interplanetary. Is this also how it is calculated in game or is it done pod by pod?

Also, are waste/waste water containers mandatory? I have yet to receive a message saying that Jeb is up to his eyeballs in poop.