[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

4 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Mmm, no that is not intentional. I didn't think of this. The greenhouse has to be an habitat for the pressure threshold of growth, but the implementation was a bit rushed at the time. The only solution available for now is to disable the greenhouse during the storm. The crop will not grow during those few hours but that's it, there are no other side effects.

I kinda over-looked this at first before I came up with an idea. Would it be entirely possible to code the Greenhouse to automatically be shut off in the presence of a CME or high radiation environment, then automatically turn back on once the CME has passed or upon exit of a high radiation environment, sort of like how radiators have automatic cooling? Leaving a greenhouse exposed in those situations wouldn't just slow down growth, it'd kill all the plants off, so that automatic shut off / turn on would kinda simulate protecting the plants, and more importantly help protect the crew just in the case you forget the Greenhouse is a habitat and (like me) you don't see them because you have them stowed away in cargo bays.

Edited by chaoseclipse01

@ShotgunNinja Plus the greenhouses automatic turn off can malfunction and need repair, and if it's not repaired it either stays open where a CME kills the crops or it stays closed and they die due to lack of light if you don't have lights on. Btw, KSP 1.3 is out, I know people shouldn't ask, but I really wish kerbalism will be ready, I was just gonan start ksp again today then the update came.

2 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

@ShotgunNinja Plus the greenhouses automatic turn off can malfunction and need repair, and if it's not repaired it either stays open where a CME kills the crops or it stays closed and they die due to lack of light if you don't have lights on. Btw, KSP 1.3 is out, I know people shouldn't ask, but I really wish kerbalism will be ready, I was just gonan start ksp again today then the update came.

So then stay with 1.2.2. It's a lot easier than updating a bunch of mods.

6 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Well, the way the greenhouse works, once it's closed it simply halts plant growth altogether, you have to disable them in high rad environments because they're technically a habitat space on the craft, and the more active habitats during a high rad environment, the more radiation your crew faces. I only suggested the automatic on/off on high rad environments because it's something that could be easily forgotten about as ShotgunNinja himself explained that the disabling of habitats to protect the crew from CME's are the least intuitive / touched upon aspect of Kerbalism.

My spacelab has a Mk1 pod, a lab, and a hitchhiker.  The hitchhiker has maximum shielding, the rest none.  It's the storm shelter - if an event hits, you move everyone into it and disable the other 2.  This has already happened once.

EDIT:  Basically you want your storm shelter(s) to be the densest crew storage, since shielding mass is based on surface area, naturally.

EDIT2: However, I have no idea how freezing your Kerbals will change radiation mechanics.

Edited by lordcirth

2 minutes ago, Devan kerman said:

Or you take the brute force approach you put a crap ton of batteries, solars, and active shields and take the CME like a man.

That's not a feasible approach for those of us with low-end computers. I have issues with lagging with craft that have 110 parts. It would take 167 active shields alone to protect a craft, and that's not including everything you need to actually make your craft with. See the problem there?

4 minutes ago, chaoseclipse01 said:

That's not a feasible approach for those of us with low-end computers. I have issues with lagging with craft that have 110 parts. It would take 167 active shields alone to protect a craft, and that's not including everything you need to actually make your craft with. See the problem there?

Hush child nobody needs to know that...

10 minutes ago, Devan kerman said:

you know, at that point you might as well just make it a warp ship, then you won't have to worry about life support.

Little hard to make a warp ship when you haven't researched the technology yet lol. Besides, I only have the stock system installed. This crappy laptop barely runs if I'm close to any planet with Kerbol Star System installed.

On 25/5/2017 at 11:35 PM, chaoseclipse01 said:

The real problem is that if you select a container that doesn't have storage capacity of at least 2500 units of food in the container you selected, you lose whatever units couldn't be stored.

Why are you talking about "selecting" a container? In my space station, when I harvest food, I'm not requested to select the food container. It just fills the available space.

Have I missed something?

Question about RSS . Should i change some settings in .cfg file to use all Kerbalism features with RSS? everything is 10 times bigger than stock and i wonder if rates of resources consumptions are not going to be too high.

Well, there went about 8GB worth of mods down the drain for me lol.

23 hours ago, Andrea Galimberti said:

Why are you talking about "selecting" a container? In my space station, when I harvest food, I'm not requested to select the food container. It just fills the available space.

Have I missed something?

I'm was playing the game as if it has version 1.2.6 of Kerbalism installed, as I missed 1.2.7 while I was playing MKS with base building, after I saw some of the changes from the previous versions, I decided to start playing Kerbalism again and I remember back in 1.2.6 when you harvested the Kerbalism greenhouse, it would highlight containers you could dump the food into as if you were transferring Kerbals, and if the container you selected didn't have enough capacity for 2500 units, it wouldn't flow over to other containers and you'd lose whatever couldn't be stored. Since I restarted a fresh game, I hadn't had the chance to see if the way harvesting the greenhouse has changed at all, so I warned the other user based on my previous experience of dumping food into a container not big enough to store the full harvest.

Edited by chaoseclipse01

Hey @ShotgunNinja you may want to consider this for your next update. As of version 1.3, Kopernicus changes the stock ModuleDeployableSolarPanel into KopernicusSolarPanel to resolve the multi-star solar panel problem. 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

6 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Since KSP 1.3 isn't a big update, this should work ok in it right? Can anyone confirm?

yea someone already posted it doesn't work. I highly doubt a KSP version bump, no matter how small, won't ever break Kerbalism given how much it changes

Guys I just noticed KSP 1.3 New Markets has been released. Unfortunately (for you) I am also in the middle of some real life changes... so there will be a quick and dirt porting of the mod to KSP 1.3, in about a week or two, without any of the changes planned. But these are coming afterward, that much I promise. Hold tight and keep having fun.

3 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Guys I just noticed KSP 1.3 New Markets has been released. Unfortunately (for you) I am also in the middle of some real life changes... so there will be a quick and dirt porting of the mod to KSP 1.3, in about a week or two, without any of the changes planned. But these are coming afterward, that much I promise. Hold tight and keep having fun.

Roger Roger.

Hope that whatever you the changes you are going through, there is increased goodness in life quality at the end!

Peace.

8 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Fine by me. This  means I don't have to mark my mod as ¾ compatible for KSP 1.3 :D Take your time, man.

2 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

No need to rush things, a lot of mods are not yet updated :)

Good luck with your changes.

@The-Doctor - per above, "there will be a quick and dirt porting of the mod to KSP 1.3, in about a week or two, without any of the changes planned. But these are coming afterward" - i.e. the next update will just be for 1.3 compatibility, and not game breaking.  The update following likely may be based on @ShotgunNinja's prior posts.