[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

On 7/1/2017 at 9:16 PM, ryan234abc said:

Since I'd only like to use part reliability in this game at the moment, how would I go about disabling the other parts of the mod (e.g. resource requirements)? 

Go in Settings.cfg, and use these settings:

Profile = none       // effectively disable life support, eclss components and isru mechanics
Reliability = true   // you want part failures
Signal = false       // you don't want the rest
Science = false
SpaceWeather = false
Automation = false

On 7/2/2017 at 9:32 AM, Mikki said:

I am currently doing a adventurous mission to Duna, and i am trying do this quite seriously, so shortly after approaching Duna SOI i`ve encountered a critical malfunction on a rover which is attached to a descend/ascend lander, and i am really worried about the happenings...

Reliability should really take into account when a component is in use (and things like that should not happen), but unfortunately it doesn't in its current incarnation. Maybe in future.

On 7/9/2017 at 11:27 AM, SaintStyle said:

is it possible to insert an activate/deactivate button to the ingame settings? 

I can't do it, because some MM patch need to be applied depending if the Science system is enabled. So these options have to be known at game launch time.

I am aware there are some issues between the Science system and some third party mods. I'll see what I can do.

On 7/10/2017 at 3:26 PM, MacLuky said:

How can I tune the distance in which the belts become visible in the map view? I'd like to tweak them since I can't really observe them properly now.

There is no fading in/out based on distance from camera (that's why you can't find it in code). Instead, as all particles are rendered as 1pixel-wide points irregardless of distance from camera, what you are seeing is the particle density on screen getting below some threshold, at which point your visual cortex filter out the sparse white dots (that are still there). This is a minor issue with the method I've used to render these fields.

On 7/10/2017 at 9:01 PM, The-Doctor said:

Does Kerbalisms signal have signal delay?
If I have Commnet constellations will I still get the blue dots representing data transmission?

No to both questions. The background transmission will work with CommNet/RemoteTech, but the transmission spheres are ony rendered if you are using Signal.

On 7/11/2017 at 3:00 AM, teckillah said:

he still working on

He is... slowly.

On 7/11/2017 at 7:11 AM, lordcirth said:

would the Universal Storage Alkaline Fuel Cell's balance be determined by Kerbalism?  Is it autoconverted from US's stock numbers?

US fuel cell is not touched, what you see are its original rates.

On 7/12/2017 at 10:58 AM, SiCaRiO31 said:

Was this like this from the beggining? is it a kerbalism bug or its like this in stock aswell?

The relative orientation between the vessel and the sun change over time. Fixed panels will not be in the right orientation for long. The obvious solution is to use tracking panels, if possible. Or use multiple fixed panels at different orientations.

On 7/12/2017 at 7:18 PM, nascarlaser1 said:

do you know if there is a similar way to turn off lifesupport

Set Profile = none in Settings.cfg, that will disable life support and anything else related to it.

30 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

what is the proper way to generate these tremendous amounts of EC?

16 EC/s is a lot. Can you share your savefile, I would like to see in details how it is consumed. Maybe something can be balanced better.

Meanwhile, some obvious suggestions:

• try to minimize EC consumption in every way you can
  • stop something at night and resume it at day, using automation scripts
  • don't do everything at once: extracting and processing Ore can run at a different time than data transmission, for example
  • if everything else fail, find yourself some big EC generator (not included)

Just now, ShotgunNinja said:

16 EC/s is a lot. Can you share your savefile, I would like to see in details how it is consumed. Maybe something can be balanced better.

Meanwhile, some obvious suggestions:

• try to minimize EC consumption in every way you can
  • stop something at night and resume it at day, using automation scripts
  • don't do everything at once: extracting and processing Ore can run at a different time than data transmission, for example
  • if everything else fail, find yourself some big EC generator (not included)

Well, I was trying to make a fully self-sustainable base. I set it up in a way so that the only outside resource it needs is water. And there come in the drills...
Here's the save file: https://ufile.io/l41b8

It uses some parts from Kerbal Planetary Base Systems and Simple Construction. I think Mechjeb too. It has ability to produce fuel and build rockets. But even without any of that running, just bare life support takes 16 EC/s.

Please let me know what you think.

53 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

He is... slowly.

US fuel cell is not touched, what you see are its original rates.

The relative orientation between the vessel and the sun change over time. Fixed panels will not be in the right orientation for long. The obvious solution is to use tracking panels, if possible. Or use multiple fixed panels at different orientations.

Set Profile = none in Settings.cfg, that will disable life support and anything else related to it.

Thxs! now I can use USI LS and radiation!! my Kerbals are doomed,--uhh I mean happy!!

@nascarlaser1 Radiation is only enabled when used in the profile. So you would need some custom profile instead.

{
  name = radiation-only
  Rule
  {
    name = radiation
    degeneration = 1.0 // just use the modifier
    variance = 0.1 // add per-kerbal variance
    modifier = radiation,shielding
    warning_threshold = 25.0
    danger_threshold = 37.5
    fatal_threshold = 50.0
    warning_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL has been exposed to intense radiation
    danger_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is reporting symptoms of radiation poisoning
    fatal_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL died after being exposed to extreme radiation
    relax_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL has recovered from radiation exposure
  }
}

Put it in a .cfg file inside GameData. Then on your Settings.cfg, set Profile to radiation-only.

Just now, ShotgunNinja said:

@nascarlaser1 Radiation is only enabled when used in the profile. So you would need some custom profile instead.

{
  name = radiation-only
  Rule
  {
    name = radiation
    degeneration = 1.0 // just use the modifier
    variance = 0.1 // add per-kerbal variance
    modifier = radiation,shielding
    warning_threshold = 25.0
    danger_threshold = 37.5
    fatal_threshold = 50.0
    warning_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL has been exposed to intense radiation
    danger_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is reporting symptoms of radiation poisoning
    fatal_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL died after being exposed to extreme radiation
    relax_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL has recovered from radiation exposure
  }
}

Put it in a .cfg file inside GameData. Then on your Settings.cfg, set Profile to radiation-only.

thxs! didn't realize the went together! thank you!

EDIT: Do I put it inside the main game data folder with my other mods, or inside a game data folder under kerbalism itself?

Edited by nascarlaser1

1 minute ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Do I put it inside the main game data folder with my other mods, or inside a game data folder under kerbalism itself

Anywere you want, as long as it is inside the GameData folder. Probably is better to not put it in the Kerbalism folder, or else you may delete it at the next update.

3 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

There is no fading in/out based on distance from camera (that's why you can't find it in code). Instead, as all particles are rendered as 1pixel-wide points irregardless of distance from camera, what you are seeing is the particle density on screen getting below some threshold, at which point your visual cortex filter out the sparse white dots (that are still there). This is a minor issue with the method I've used to render these fields.

Ah that makes sense. So increase the resolution at which I play should help, or drawing bigger pixels ;-)  thanks for the insight. Nice readably code btw.

1 hour ago, MacLuky said:

Ah that makes sense. So increase the resolution at which I play should help, or drawing bigger pixels ;-)  thanks for the insight. Nice readably code btw.

Could also be that the fields are disabled

No they show up, just not at the zoom level I like. Once I zoom in/out they disappear. I run at 1680x1080, Mac but maybe I can tweak the graphics settings or hook up my 30"

10 hours ago, aluc24 said:

Okay, I will take an opportunity to ask: what is the expected way to generate electricity for bases far away from Kerbol? Running all the equipment that is needed to sustain Kerbals requires a lot of electricity. A 3 Kerbal base I built requires 16 EC/s. Solar panels only work in daylight, and nighttime can last very long on some bodies. Making up for it with RTG's increases part count A LOT, and that gives the lag, not to mention the price. Hydrogen fuel cells are very inefficient, and the electricity needed to produce hydrogen is more than the cell can provide. Unless we're talking about Universal Storage Alkine Fuel Cell, which is very efficient and powerful. So efficient and powerful, that it makes me suspect that it is simply not balanced with Kerbalism.
So, what is the proper way to generate these tremendous amounts of EC?

Have you looked at Near Future Electrical?  The first reactor, the MX-0 Kerbopower Fission Generator, produces 60 EC/s and has 5 years of fuel at that rate, and you can add uranium storage.  It's high tech and 18.6k funds but only .28t.  It does need some radiators too.  Still, certainly enough EC!

1 minute ago, lordcirth said:

Have you looked at Near Future Electrical?  The first reactor, the MX-0 Kerbopower Fission Generator, produces 60 EC/s and has 5 years of fuel at that rate, and you can add uranium storage.  It's high tech and 18.6k funds but only .28t.  It does need some radiators too.  Still, certainly enough EC!

Yeah, I know, I was just wondering if there is some Kerbalism solution first. Thanks anyway.

2 hours ago, lordcirth said:

Useful, I did not know this, thanks. 

Not entirely sure what is going on here, but I keep going EVA and then losing all the science data in my pod when I reenter. I've got a dozen different "data files" from various instruments/reports/eva's as well as a few "samples" from Nehemia Engeering Orbital Science experiments (the KEES experiments). I go EVA to disconnect a KEES experiment from it's holder and put it in a KIS container (they don't survive reentry in the zero-g experiment racks by design), and when I get back in the pod all my science data is entirely gone. It's happened two or three times now.

Not sure if this is a conflict with the KEES experiments (which have been giving me tons of trouble with lots of mods due to how they have to be "recovered" to actually get science and require time for the experiment to complete in orbit), or if this is unrelated. Anyone ever have an issue like this?

This is a neat mod mod. I just have a few questions:

-How do you harvest nitrogen? I read somewhere about an atmospheric scoop, but I have not been able to find any parts that would collect anything. Has this been implemented, or is it just a planned feature?

-How do I disable the alerts for certain crafts?

-Does this mod make any changes to the gravity scans? After downloading this mod, I was not able to do gravity scans on the surface of planets, so I was not able to complete some contracts. Is this something your mod did (in which case, can you do something about it) or was this from another mod that happened to break/change?

It seems that this mod removes all the orbital level biome specific stuff. EVA's from low orbit no longer have a biome specific experiment either, instead only a single "above the Mun" EVA needs to be done. This seems to drastically reduce the science you get from anything that isn't a landing, but that's okay by me because it balances out all the other science mods I use like bluedog design bureau's multitude of experiments.

2 hours ago, Enorats said:

Not entirely sure what is going on here, but I keep going EVA and then losing all the science data in my pod when I reenter. I've got a dozen different "data files" from various instruments/reports/eva's as well as a few "samples" from Nehemia Engeering Orbital Science experiments (the KEES experiments). I go EVA to disconnect a KEES experiment from it's holder and put it in a KIS container (they don't survive reentry in the zero-g experiment racks by design), and when I get back in the pod all my science data is entirely gone. It's happened two or three times now.

Not sure if this is a conflict with the KEES experiments (which have been giving me tons of trouble with lots of mods due to how they have to be "recovered" to actually get science and require time for the experiment to complete in orbit), or if this is unrelated. Anyone ever have an issue like this?

FWIW I've encountered this issue, too. It seems related to KIS. I can EVA & return ok, but detaching anything with KIS causes data loss. The data still seems to be in the instruments, tho, as an EVA Kerbal can go around and recollect it with the right click menu. 

Interesting. Unfortunately that doesn't help with the KEES experiments as they work a bit differently as one time use experiments that aren't really meant to be "removed" at all. I like how they interact with kerbalism in that I can "remove" the data and process it in a lab instead of actually returning the experiment to the surface, but if the data disappears as soon as I collect the experiment with KIS then they won't work at all. Suppose I'll just have to keep this in mind and maybe place the components on pieces that I'll be decoupling anyway, that way I won't need to remove the experiments at all. A bit of experimentation and I might come up with a workable solution.

Edit: "Finalizing" the KEES experiments so that Kerbalism removes the data and puts it in the pod, then EVA'ing a kerbal and having them remove the data from the pod before disconnecting anything with KIS will prevent KIS from destroying the data stored in the ship.. because the data isn't stored in the ship anymore. Unsure if putting something in the kerbal's inventory will do anything though, as I used my scientist as the data holder (floating off in space) while the engineer did renovations.

Edited by Enorats

46 minutes ago, Zombie_Striker said:

This is a neat mod mod. I just have a few questions:

-How do you harvest nitrogen? I read somewhere about an atmospheric scoop, but I have not been able to find any parts that would collect anything. Has this been implemented, or is it just a planned feature?

-How do I disable the alerts for certain crafts?

-Does this mod make any changes to the gravity scans? After downloading this mod, I was not able to do gravity scans on the surface of planets, so I was not able to complete some contracts. Is this something your mod did (in which case, can you do something about it) or was this from another mod that happened to break/change?

The Atmospheric Filter can draw Oxygen, CO2 or Nitrogen from anywhere with an Atmosphere. You need to right click it in the VAB/SPH and choose what you want it to do before launch.

You can disable alerts by going into the Kerbalism settings while in flight, click the craft you want to stop getting alerts from, click the CFG button near the bottom and choose what you want to be alerted about.

Not sure about the Gravity scans, I've only done them in orbit and they work fine there.