[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

I also want to suggest (maybe I'm not even the first one): add one more item to the CFG tab - display the vessel in the main list (yes / no) (where yes by default), because when you're playing career you build a lot of small probes that you do not want to delete And sometimes they are needed for future contracts, but they litter the main list. If you translate them into the Debris category, you can lose them among other Debris or their game from the limit will generally delete what you do not need.

Edited by zxxzzxxz

Does anyone have any ideas for solving my dilemma? I really want to keep using this mod but if I can no longer add food, water etc to tanks and craft anymore, I'll need to use something else.

50 minutes ago, TeeGee said:

Does anyone have any ideas for solving my dilemma? I really want to keep using this mod but if I can no longer add food, water etc to tanks and craft anymore, I'll need to use something else.

I can confirm that KIS and KAS both work fine with Kerbalism.

I'm running a lot of mods alongside Kerbalism and I'm not experiencing your issue, so maybe you can use my mod list to help narrow down your issue. If a mod appears on both of our lists it's probably not the source of your issue.

Spoiler

c8YlLJy.png

Edited by DBrickShaw

1 hour ago, DBrickShaw said:

I can confirm that KIS and KAS both work fine with Kerbalism.

I'm running a lot of mods alongside Kerbalism and I'm not experiencing your issue, so maybe you can use my mod list to help narrow down your issue. If a mod appears on both of our lists it's probably not the source of your issue.

c8YlLJy.png

Great!

I just skimmed your mods list... I can see you don't use Kerbal construction time, Comorant aeronology, or airplane plus. I really hope it's not any of those mods causing this problem. 

EDIT:

Confirmed that Kerbal construction time, Comorant aeronautics, scrapyard don't cause this problem.

This is driving me nuts, I can't figure out what's causing this problem.

Edited by TeeGee

Kerbalism Support for QuarterRSS is done. :) 

Submitted to github too. 

// ============================================================================
// Radiation environments for QuarterRSS bodies

+RadiationBody[Moho]:NEEDS[QuarterRSS]   { @name = Mercury }
+RadiationBody[Eve]:NEEDS[QuarterRSS]    { @name = Venus }
+RadiationBody[Kerbin]:NEEDS[QuarterRSS] { @name = Earth }
+RadiationBody[Duna]:NEEDS[QuarterRSS]   { @name = Mars }
+RadiationBody[Jool]:NEEDS[QuarterRSS]   { @name = Jupiter }

RadiationBody:NEEDS[QuarterRSS]
{
  name = Saturn
  radiation_model = giant
  radiation_inner = 150
  radiation_outer = 5
  radiation_pause = -0.011
}

{
  name = Uranus
  radiation_model = giant
  radiation_inner = 75
  radiation_outer = 4
  radiation_pause = -0.008
}

{
  name = Neptune
  radiation_model = giant
  radiation_inner = 50
  radiation_outer = 3.5
  radiation_pause = -0.007
}

{
  name = Pluto
  radiation_model = irregular
  radiation_pause = -0.002
}

{
  name = Callisto
  radiation_pause = -0.003
}

{
  name = Io
  radiation_model = surface
  radiation_pause = 0.041 // surface radiation
}

{
  name = Titan
  radiation_model = ionosphere
  radiation_pause = -0.004
}

// Tweak heliopause

@RadiationModel[heliopause]:NEEDS[QuarterRSS]
{
  @pause_radius = 16000.0
  @pause_quality = 0.01
}

// Tweak antennas

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Antenna]]:NEEDS[QuarterRSS,FeatureSignal]:FINAL
{
  @MODULE[Antenna]:HAS[#type[low_gain]]
  {
    @dist *= 2.5
  }

@MODULE[Antenna]:HAS[#type[high_gain]]
  {
    @dist *= 4.0
  }
}

Edited by ISE

How do the scrubbers work? I've had a couple of mission aborts due to co2 poisoning. I believe that once power goes down for a short period of time the scrubbers either don't recover or don't have the efficiency to diminish the build up. Jeb barely made it to spacelab2 where 3 modules had scrubbers and now it seems to improve. But his ship is a flying death trap 

I had an issue in 1.2.2 where I tried to use Kerbalism alongside Real Fuels, but didn't have very good results. My command pods would have tons of Nitrogen, but no other Kerbalism resources, and would be way over the max volume in whatever pod. Anyone else had this issue and how would I fix this for when RF is updated to 1.3? I'm not sure if Kerbalism or RF is the problem.

3 hours ago, MacLuky said:

How do the scrubbers work? I've had a couple of mission aborts due to co2 poisoning. I believe that once power goes down for a short period of time the scrubbers either don't recover or don't have the efficiency to diminish the build up. Jeb barely made it to spacelab2 where 3 modules had scrubbers and now it seems to improve. But his ship is a flying death trap 

Probably what you are running into is that cabin CO2 and Kerbal CO2 are separate.  If a scrubber turns off, cabin CO2 will rise to 100% in minutes, but Kerbal CO2 starts rising proportional to that.  So there's a delayed reaction, where by the time you get a warning that Jeb is light-headed (33% Kerbal CO2, I think) the cabin is at 100%.  Then you turn your scrubber on, and the cabin CO2 starts dropping, but Kerbal CO2 keeps going *up* for a bit.  You get "trouble breathing", 50% Kerbal CO2, before you're safe.  From experience, once you get a warning in a mk1 pod you can survive if you turn scrubbing on immediately.

TL;DR, just don't run out of EC, ever.

@ShotgunNinja I noticed Kerbals don't die immediately when electricity is gone, not that I have a problem with it, I wonder why? Is there an explanation, such as residual life support in the capsule? Them not dying immediately due to loss of power is what saved my crew on entry when they unintentionally skipped back into space and did a whole other orbit after I detached the service module

1 hour ago, The-Doctor said:

@ShotgunNinja I noticed Kerbals don't die immediately when electricity is gone, not that I have a problem with it, I wonder why? Is there an explanation, such as residual life support in the capsule? Them not dying immediately due to loss of power is what saved my crew on entry when they unintentionally skipped back into space and did a whole other orbit after I detached the service module

Kerbals die when the capsule grows too hot without AC, or too cold without heating, or when the scrubber stops and the air fills with CO2.  They don't directly die from lack of EC.

11 hours ago, lordcirth said:

Kerbals die when the capsule grows too hot without AC, or too cold without heating, or when the scrubber stops and the air fills with CO2.  They don't directly die from lack of EC.

In earlier versions they did, the moment electricity was gone, they died, it said life support off and they died

On 7/18/2017 at 2:47 AM, ISE said:

With the help of @OhioBob , I wipped up a support cfg file for SSRSS, feel free to take a look and tell me what to add, edit, or remove. Tnx :) 

EDIT: Corrected Code 

// Radiation environments for SSRSS bodies

+RadiationBody[Moho]:NEEDS[SSRSS]   { @name = Mercury }
+RadiationBody[Eve]:NEEDS[SSRSS]    { @name = Venus }
+RadiationBody[Kerbin]:NEEDS[SSRSS] { @name = Earth }
+RadiationBody[Duna]:NEEDS[SSRSS]   { @name = Mars }
+RadiationBody[Jool]:NEEDS[SSRSS]   { @name = Jupiter }

RadiationBody:NEEDS[SSRSS]
{
  name = Saturn
  radiation_model = giant
  radiation_inner = 150
  radiation_outer = 5
  radiation_pause = -0.011
}

{
  name = Uranus
  radiation_model = giant
  radiation_inner = 75
  radiation_outer = 4
  radiation_pause = -0.008
}

{
  name = Neptune
  radiation_model = giant
  radiation_inner = 50
  radiation_outer = 3.5
  radiation_pause = -0.007
}

{
  name = Pluto
  radiation_pause = -0.002
}

{
  name = Callisto
  radiation_pause = -0.003
}

{
  name = Io
}

{
  name = Titan
  radiation_pause = -0.004
}

// Tweak heliopause

@RadiationModel[heliopause]:NEEDS[SSRSS]
{
  @pause_radius = 16000.0
  @pause_quality = 0.01
}

// Tweak antennas

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Antenna]]:NEEDS[SSRSS,FeatureSignal]:FINAL
{
  {
    @dist *= 0.909
  }

{
    @dist *= 1.4545
  }
}

Does this work?

I'm going to try SSRSS & Kerbalism. The RSS is time consuming. 

@ShotgunNinjanow I'm working on the Russian translation of Kerbalism, trying to use the localization system from version 1.3.  At the moment I was able to translate only part of the content, because some text is in the source code and is not available for easy editing. 

Question: Are you going to add localization support to the new versions for full translation into other languages? It would be wonderful to give the opportunity to enjoy this modification to people who do not know English.

Edited by westmeath

23 hours ago, Nathangun said:

Does this work?

I'm going to try SSRSS & Kerbalism. The RSS is time consuming. 

// Radiation environments for SSRSS bodies

+RadiationBody[Moho]:NEEDS[SSRSS]   { @name = Mercury }
+RadiationBody[Eve]:NEEDS[SSRSS]    { @name = Venus }
+RadiationBody[Kerbin]:NEEDS[SSRSS] { @name = Earth }
+RadiationBody[Duna]:NEEDS[SSRSS]   { @name = Mars }
+RadiationBody[Jool]:NEEDS[SSRSS]   { @name = Jupiter }

{
  name = Saturn
  radiation_model = giant
  radiation_inner = 150
  radiation_outer = 5
  radiation_pause = -0.011
}

{
  name = Uranus
  radiation_model = giant
  radiation_inner = 75
  radiation_outer = 4
  radiation_pause = -0.008
}

{
  name = Neptune
  radiation_model = giant
  radiation_inner = 50
  radiation_outer = 3.5
  radiation_pause = -0.007
}

{
  name = Pluto
  radiation_pause = -0.002
}

{
  name = Callisto
  radiation_pause = -0.003
}

{
  name = Io
}

{
  name = Titan
  radiation_pause = -0.004
}

// Tweak heliopause

@RadiationModel[heliopause]:NEEDS[SSRSS]
{
  @pause_radius = 16000.0
  @pause_quality = 0.01
}

// Tweak antennas

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Antenna]]:NEEDS[SSRSS,FeatureSignal]:FINAL
{
  {
    @dist *= 0.942
  }

{
    @dist *= 1.507
  }
}

Should work, this is the up to date version, I have made some corrections. 

So, I'm having a really strange issue here. Several actually, though I think only one of them is really a bug. I've built a base on the Mun's northern pole.. was aiming for a peak of eternal sunlight sort of thing, but ended up in a pit of eternal darkness instead. The solar panels on my scout rover charged at the flat area I located, so I thought.. great! Built base over many days.. and then found that the base has long periods of darkness in which the sun goes behind mountains and the like, or dips just below the horizon. Panels stay lit, but they all say "occluded by vessel". At high time warp (the last two) it just gives me 50% charging at all times generally, something about being integrated over warp.

After a number of strange power issues in which sometimes Kerbalism counted that power, and other times it didn't.. and life support failed, I just gave up and installed a Near Future reactor in the base. Well, actually I cheated and just "added" one of the small ones to the Planetary Base System's central hub to save on part count. Really didn't want to add another module section to the base. That solved the power issues.

But, now everyone keeps dying of radiation. They've been there for 75 days and are sitting at like 15%, and several new arrivals are sitting at 5% from the trip through the belt. The base has a small amount of shielding, as I wasn't really sure how much to add or what exactly it would do. The base here is sort of a test to see what I need to do before going for something far out like Duna. Now here's the strange thing.. I can warp up to 1000 times (any higher and it warns me about power inconsistency) while the base is loaded and have no issues. But if I unload the base by going back to KSC, then warp (at all, any speed).. radiation percentages start rising stupidly fast. Within a couple of hours everyone is a radioactive puddle on the floor.

It gets stranger though - If I reload the save (at KSC) from before the warp, either with F9 or the menu.. it happens again. Without warping. Over about 5 seconds the entire crew rises to 100% radiation and dies. Stress also rises slightly, from like 4% to maybe 7 or 8% before they all die. It's like Kerbalism is stuck on stupid high time warp when I'm not warping. Oh, and KSC is either floating above the ground or underground. Edit:Attempting to warp with a different vessel loaded (a satellite in high orbit) but the base unloaded leads to the same result. I can warp to x100 or x1000 for a second or two, then stop.. and the radiation/stress keeps rising until death for 10 or so seconds after I stop the warp.

If I reload the quicksave I made with the vessel loaded, I appear on the Mun with the base.. but it's at 100% CO2, no pressure (how is there CO2 without pressure?), and my thousands of units of food/water/oxygen/nitrogen are all sitting at 0. Totally gone.

Restarting the entire game allows me to load my save without the vessel's resources or crew doing anything strange.. but the moment I warp with the vessel unloaded the same thing happens again.

Edit: So, after spending about 20-30 days at 1000x time warp with the vessel loaded (as that wasn't causing problems) a solar storm hits. The crew does not survive, so I reload to just after I got the warning it was incoming. Four of the six crew members climb into the Deep Freeze cryo module I'd sent for just this sort of emergency, and the other two have to evacuate in the evacuation capsule that was waiting in case the cryo module plan failed. They're going to make the return with like literally less than an hour to spare looking at the nodes.. time warp until they hit atmo, and wait.. what? The storm isn't any closer to hitting. It's still reading  the 1 day and 3 hours it was reading before they left the Mun. Not sure what's going on, but time warp doesn't seem to be getting along with Kerbalism. Two weeks later, and that solar storm is still going to be here in 1 day and 3 hours. No clue what is going on anymore.

Come to think of it, aside from the issues with power (which I'd think are normal, considering the bloody sun is dropping below the horizon).. all my other issues started immediately after I docked my lab/cryo module. The base worked just fine before that, but moments after docking that module everything went to crap. Could there be some incompatibility with DeepFreeze, or at least the Planetary Base Systems DeepFreeze part?

Edit: Reloaded an earlier save where the lab/cryo module was still in orbit of the Mun and not yet landed/docked to the base. Warping with the vessel unloaded didn't harm the base, but the lab module's crew was rapidly irradiated. So, something about that module caused all this.. and the only thing special about it is that it had a DeepFreeze unit. Going to try reproducing this with DeepFreeze's own parts and see if it happens with other vessels.

Results - Nothing. Everything works as expected. Hyperedited a pod with a lab, another with a planetary base cryo module, and another without either into Munar orbit.. all seem to handle time warps both loaded and unloaded just fine. I'm at a loss as to what broke in my main save.

Edited by Enorats

11 hours ago, lordcirth said:

So what do your logs say?  Pastebin them please.  http://bpaste.net/

Had to try a couple different sites to find one that wouldn't just freeze up and give errors when I tried pasting it. Am I not supposed to paste the whole thing? I deleted it prior to starting KSP, and paused the game moments after it started and the error showed up.. so it couldn't really get much smaller.

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/7d0de493715a5404f6000db2d149241c

In case this is all you need though, it's spamming this hundreds of times.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KERBALISM.Background.ProcessCryoTank (.Vessel v, .ProtoPartSnapshot p, .ProtoPartModuleSnapshot m, .PartModule simple_boiloff, KERBALISM.vessel_resources resources, Double elapsed_s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.Background.update (.Vessel v, KERBALISM.vessel_info vi, KERBALISM.VesselData vd, KERBALISM.vessel_resources resources, Double elapsed_s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.Kerbalism.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Edit: Oh! The module in question contains two Planetary Base System adapter/structural parts that contained cryogenic fuels. I'd planned on using them as storage so that the ISRU units I'd sent earlier could make liquid hydrogen/oxidizer.. which was remarkably stupid now that I think about it, as they don't have the boiloff protection of the Near Future parts.

Could these perhaps be the "KERBALISM.Background.ProcessCryoTank" mentioned in the log? Does the boiloff mechanic conflict with it somehow? I've never had any problems with that before, but I don't think I've ever warped with a crewed vessel carrying cryo fuels unloaded. - Confirmed. Hyperedited that module home, then replaced it with an identical version in which the cryo tanks are converted to normal lf/ox tanks. No problems anymore.

Edited by Enorats

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I did a search and couldnt see anything.

I'm using OPM, and although radiation can be sorted out now with enough active shielding, the max mission I can get from a stress perspective seems to be 23yrs.

Unfortunately it takes a LONG time to get to an outer planet and back. Is there some way I can make the length of a mission indefinite?? I mean there were always people who were willing to travel across an ocean knowing they would never see their birthplace again. Why wouldn't an eager Kerbal want to be the first to Plonk?

GDjOQpa.png

EVE was a lot harder than I expected. What was meant to be a simple orbital mission ended in near total failure. Transit and entering orbit was easy, what went terrible was the cargo ship orbited differently from the mother ship, then there wasn't enough food to stay in orbit for the next transfer window, so I had to return ASAP, this led to more delta v being needed than was available, they barely got an encounter with kerbin. That encounter was still 30 days too late as it was outside the amount of food and water they had. The result, 2 Kerbals had to be sacrificed to the kraken. We met the kraken while in EVE orbit, it was the first time I met it, clicking nodes became impossible and the camera began twisting around. The 2 kerbals went on EVA while still 30 days away from home, they did it due to space madness, they died. Even then I didn't have enough food and drink, so I began rationing, cutting off food and water until the Kerbalism notification said they were badly dehydrated, then I let them drink and eat, made the notification drop down to nominal, then I cut off their food and water. We then experienced a solar storm, despite the capsule having maximum radiation protection, they were exposed to extreme radiation. The NTR's suffered a serious problem with overheating and looked badly damaged, I had no idea why. Jeb, Val, Bill and Bob made it home safely with no more fuel or food left, all being stressed out badly and having suffered 70% radiation.

I learned a lot for my future Duna mission

1. Land a ton of cargo ships on the surface
2. Don't use NTR's, use Ion engines, to give massive amounts of Delta V
3. Carry more than enough supply containers, even if it says transit is x amount of days, always have twice as much
4. I gotta have the mining tech to go to Duna, as well as the greenhouse, maybe more, Duna is hard
5. Multiple backups, likely even launch a backup ship to Duna orbit, have radiators and test everything out on Minmus

@ShotgunNinja I must say, I don't think it's realistic for it to take 20 cargo pods to send a crew to a planet and back, in real life the habitat alone would have enough for that. I think making one large supply pod be enough to get you to another planet and back would be more realistic

19 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

I had no idea why. Jeb, Val, Bill and Bob made it home safely with no more fuel or food left, all being stressed out badly and having suffered 70% radiation.

I must say, I don't think it's realistic for it to take 20 cargo pods to send a crew to a planet and back, in real life the habitat alone would have enough for that. I think making one large supply pod be enough to get you to another planet and back would be more realistic

Life support:  How many Kerbals total?  What was your total life support duration in planner?  Did you have a water recycler?

Radiation:  What other crew capsules did you have besides the cupola I see?  How many of them had this max shielding?  Did you disable the others when the storm hit?

1 hour ago, lordcirth said:

Life support:  How many Kerbals total?  What was your total life support duration in planner?  Did you have a water recycler?

Radiation:  What other crew capsules did you have besides the cupola I see?  How many of them had this max shielding?  Did you disable the others when the storm hit?

6 Kerbals, the duration was about 135 days, with about 5 large containers. All habitats had maximum shielding, I had more than the cupola, I had one habitat

2 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

6 Kerbals, the duration was about 135 days, with about 5 large containers. All habitats had maximum shielding, I had more than the cupola, I had one habitat

So did you have a water recycler or not?  Also, I wonder if there's a bug with that inflatable habitat - shielding works per surface area, and perhaps the max shielding you can put on it is calculated on uninflated?  How does its shielding amount compare to the cupola?

On 7/21/2017 at 11:32 AM, DJ Reonic said:

I had an issue in 1.2.2 where I tried to use Kerbalism alongside Real Fuels, but didn't have very good results. My command pods would have tons of Nitrogen, but no other Kerbalism resources, and would be way over the max volume in whatever pod. Anyone else had this issue and how would I fix this for when RF is updated to 1.3? I'm not sure if Kerbalism or RF is the problem.

I use Real Fuels mod, useful to change the load-out of a tank. I find Lack Luster Labs useful for storing food, oxygen etc.. I'm still on KSP 1.2.2 Kerbalism 1.2.8

I deleted the Real Fuel support cfg file in Kerbalism, it made me use Hydrazine for EVA, so I deleted the cfg file and can use Monopropellant on EVA. 

On 7/19/2017 at 10:22 PM, TeeGee said:

The reason I ask is that after Kerbalism worked perfectly for me for a good long while, all of a sudden after I installed a few more mods, the supply containers etc not longer give me the right click option to tweak their resources. 

My Mod List:

s6MH4qK.jpg