[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

Ugh. Throwing this out there without any expectations what so ever, I'm still on KSP 1.2.2 so also an outdated version of Kerbalism.

Which has apparently decided to keep my main game from loading. I don't know if something's gotten too big or what, my test game works just fine. I don't see anything useful in the log, it just... stops. Always at a different place though, sometimes it's Kerbalism involved, sometimes it's something else entirely.

What I have traced it to is kerbalism.dll. Delete the .dll, and the game loads just fine. Replace it, and until today the game would load, it would just take forever. Now it won't seem to load at all, even after a good 10-15 minutes of waiting. IIRC I've seen some other people mentioning this issue lately, too. Until recently, and without any changes, everything was working just fine.

Loggy: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrt61pyyakwbxzs/KSP.log?dl=0

ETA: seems to be related to number of active vessels. Culled it down from around two dozen to one dozen, and got it to load. But I sense a point of diminishing return there...

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

15 hours ago, lordcirth said:

So did you have a water recycler or not?  Also, I wonder if there's a bug with that inflatable habitat - shielding works per surface area, and perhaps the max shielding you can put on it is calculated on uninflated?  How does its shielding amount compare to the cupola?

nope and I got no idea how it works, it's apparently working fine with my newly made ship

I am currently trying out the "Experiments" extra. I have a probe in orbit which is basically a command pod, reaction wheels, solar panels, a battery, an antenna and three science experiment parts: Radiation Scanner, Barometer and Thermometer. Whenever I try to run one of those experiments, I just get a yellow text "no operator", but it did work on an earlier craft with a crew, which unfortunately was only suborbital. Do I need a crew to run those simple experiments? Is there a way to disable that, for at least some of them?

12 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

nope and I got no idea how it works, it's apparently working fine with my newly made ship

Ok, well I don't know about the inflatable but long term missions should have a water recycler (2 if no engineer), it's 80% efficient so that means you get 5x the duration per ton of water.  So you could turn several of those presumably hybrid Supply containers into Food only, and get far better LS duration.

I play KSP 1.3 with Real Fuels, and I've noticed command pods get all the normal KB supplies, and a massive amount of Nitrogen. I'm wondering if this is a bug, as my BDB Hermes (Mercury) pod gets all the right supplies, and gets 10000 Nitrogen. I have to scale back the Nitrogen to a more reasonable level so I can add the RCS fuel. Not a huge deal, but I noticed it and thought to bring it up in case someone knows how to fix it.

12 hours ago, Syczek said:

Anyone could update uks-kerbalism patch please??

MKS and Kerbalism can not and (in the foreseeable future) will never work together. This is because in order to get background processing in Kerbalism, the author stripped a lot of stock functions that aren't used that often. MKS depends on some of these functions. Therefore, it won't work. Use KPBS for base buildings as a compatible replacement. 

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

Something isn't right, my ship arrived at Duna with supplies still maxed out, I fear it will suddenly say no more food, water and oxygen out of the blue. Half the crew are on the surface, the rest in orbit, a year plus until the transit time

2 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Something isn't right, my ship arrived at Duna with supplies still maxed out, I fear it will suddenly say no more food, water and oxygen out of the blue. Half the crew are on the surface, the rest in orbit, a year plus until the transit time

Odd.  Anything interesting in the logs?

2 hours ago, ItCameFromDuna said:

Question: Does Kerbalism simulate the radiation from Near Future nuclear reactors? If the awnser is no, is there another mod that does?

No, the patch for NearFuture only does it for the RTG. But it's really simple to add. Here for example is from the included AtomicAge patch

@PART[NuclearJetEngine]:NEEDS[FeatureRadiation]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = Emitter
    radiation = 0.0000041666 // 0.012 rad/h
  }
}

2 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

No, the patch for NearFuture only does it for the RTG. But it's really simple to add. Here for example is from the included AtomicAge patch

@PART[NuclearJetEngine]:NEEDS[FeatureRadiation]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = Emitter
    radiation = 0.0000041666 // 0.012 rad/h
  }
}

Ah. Thanks. What are some good, realistic values for these, and is the radiation directional? 

Just now, ItCameFromDuna said:

What are some good, realistic values for these, and is the radiation directional? 

Dunno about realism but I believe radiation is based on proximity. Check the wiki linked in the OP

10 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

Dunno about realism but I believe radiation is based on proximity. Check the wiki linked in the OP

Radiation does not take part positioning into account.  Note this comment about hopefully doing it in future:

11 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

That was fast! Are there any mods that work with Nerar Future that I could use the values from?  Also how does "radiation = 0.0000041666" mean 0.012 rad/h

4 minutes ago, lordcirth said:

Radiation does not take part positioning into account.  Note this comment about hopefully doing it in future:

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ItCameFromDuna said:

Are there any mods that work with Nerar Future that I could use the values from?

nertea started work on a radiation mod of his own but I don't know if he ever got as far as working out values and I'm not sure if they are compatible with Kerbalism's radiation model

1 hour ago, ItCameFromDuna said:

Also how does "radiation = 0.0000041666" mean 0.012 rad/h

No clue. Again, check the wiki it might be there if not then you'll have to wait till ShotgunNinja comes back around or maybe someone else figured it out

@ShotgunNinja The latest updates to Nertea's CryoTanks changed cooling EC cost code, and it no longer shows up for me in Kerbalism planner.  However, it does correctly cool and consume EC while focused, and I think while backgrounded too, so it's not a huge problem.

May I ask if it is possible to add one the very first page if this thread, a status with other mods compatibility?

I keep reading questions about TAC and remotech, and there is a degree of incongruence with answers. An "official" statement would be good and save time. And yes I am interested in those mods compatibility if someone can answer me please :D. Installing remote tech is possible and it will automatically disable the kerbalism's comm system, am I right? 

Also I read somewhere here there is an incompatibility issue with Tantares mod. 

I admit last time I played was last year (still waiting for mods ti be updated) but as far as I remember I never had any real issue, although I have to admit I never deeply used that mod

Edited by Bersagliere81

On 1.8.2017 at 9:41 AM, Syczek said:

Anyone could update uks-kerbalism patch please??

On 1.8.2017 at 9:41 PM, TheRagingIrishman said:

MKS and Kerbalism can not and (in the foreseeable future) will never work together. This is because in order to get background processing in Kerbalism, the author stripped a lot of stock functions that aren't used that often. MKS depends on some of these functions. Therefore, it won't work. Use KPBS for base buildings as a compatible replacement. 

It would be possible to remove the USI/MKS MODULEs from those parts and replace them with Kerbalism MODULEs, but at first glance that would be a bit of work, especially balancing for different part sizes.

2 hours ago, KerbMav said:

It would be possible to remove the USI/MKS MODULEs from those parts and replace them with Kerbalism MODULEs, but at first glance that would be a bit of work, especially balancing for different part sizes.

well so it can be pulled off?? balance?? what do u mean it cannot be simplified to kerbalism rules like old patch do??if i recall right??
I enjoy both of these mods that why i look for working them together i played with that patch in 1.1.3 and was one of best experiences ever

Edited by Syczek

1 minute ago, Syczek said:

well so it can be pulled off?? balance?? what do u mean it cannot be simplified to kerbalism rules like old patch do??if i recall right??

I do not know how big e.g. the greenhouse is compared to the other mod - would be silly to have a smaller one be as good as a bigger one, that was what I meant by balance.

And yes, if you take the MKS parts and change their .cfg files to work like Kerbalism parts.

Just now, KerbMav said:

I do not know how big e.g. the greenhouse is compared to the other mod - would be silly to have a smaller one be as good as a bigger one, that was what I meant by balance.

And yes, if you take the MKS parts and change their .cfg files to work like Kerbalism parts.

well so it could be that big ones are the best so 100% of kerbalism counter part and other smaller parts gradually not so effective by linear percent decay??