[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

6 hours ago, JediRangerkendor said:

How do I change the settings of the mod? I cant find a way to change any of the settings while in the game.

By editing Settings.cfg or the profile you're using, like Default.

On 5/25/2017 at 1:40 PM, chaoseclipse01 said:

The thing that bothers me most is it seems like Kerbalism's advanced difficulty settings are gone out of the pause menu, and I could've sworn that Map Mode and the Tracking Stations used to tell you when the next CME would occur in previous Kerbalism versions, but I might be remembering wrong.

I thought there had been one! Why did it go away?

@JediRangerkendor I'm no expert on Kerbalism but not every mod is or even can be built that you can edit settings in-game. A few game-breaking issues have appeared/been made clearer lately (not all are directly this mod's fault) so it is due for some major fixes.

Maybe Map Mode and the Tracking Station won't tell you anymore but I was in-flight once and I did get an alert under the altimeter that a CME was coming. The Planner may show the alert too.

If I recall correctly, Kerbalism creates ModuleManager patches on the fly. Changing settings would not work in-game - you need to do it when unloaded, for them to take effect once KSP starts up again and Kerbalism creates the new patches.

Also, I believe my last question went unnoticed. I tried looking in the settings and the Wiki on modules and found that the science experiments should not require a crew (there is an option to do that, but it is disabled). Is it me doing something wrong?

I love the mod but now I'm on to mining and things have just got very frustrating... Maybe I'm missing something but, you can mine Ore and H2O, from Ore you can only produce O, from H2O obviously H and O. From the latter you can make Oxidizer. But to produce Liquid Fuel you need CO2 as well. Where the heck am I supposed to get CO2 from? It makes the whole idea of mining an asteroid or a moon pointless unless you have Kerbals producing CO2 on board. Perhaps I'm wrong?

2 hours ago, gietek said:

I love the mod but now I'm on to mining and things have just got very frustrating... Maybe I'm missing something but, you can mine Ore and H2O, from Ore you can only produce O, from H2O obviously H and O. From the latter you can make Oxidizer. But to produce Liquid Fuel you need CO2 as well. Where the heck am I supposed to get CO2 from? It makes the whole idea of mining an asteroid or a moon pointless unless you have Kerbals producing CO2 on board. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Not on KSP right now but I think you extract CO2 from atmospheres, using the Atmospheric Variometer thingy.

3 hours ago, gietek said:

Not in vacuum, you won't.

Well no.  But I thought Kerbalism didn't stomp the existing stock converters, so you can use them to get LFO?  I haven't gotten to ISRU in my Kerbalism career.

On 7/20/2017 at 2:03 AM, zxxzzxxz said:

I also want to suggest (maybe I'm not even the first one): add one more item to the CFG tab - display the vessel in the main list (yes / no) (where yes by default)

I can't do that because it will be 'one way only': user flag vessel as hidden, vessel disappear from the list and can't be de-flagged anymore. You could try to exploit the vessel filtering to hide the ones you want.

On 7/24/2017 at 1:16 PM, westmeath said:

Are you going to add localization support to the new versions for full translation into other languages? It would be wonderful to give the opportunity to enjoy this modification to people who do not know English.

It will be a lot of work. For instance, I would have to switch to the new Unity UI framework (I'm using the old one, that doesn't support non-latin characters as far as I know). Then, the whole UI layout was fine-tuned by hand, exploiting string lengths that were known beforehand. That would not be the case if I were to support arbitrary languages. Also, 'composing' multiple strings on the fly for an arbitrary language is impossible (and we'll lose little things like the sex of a kerbal being taken into account when generating a message, for example). These issues could be solved with enough time, maybe redesigning the UI around a bit. But that's a lot of work, and not of the fun type but of the very boring "you don't pay me enough for this" type. I prefer to work on adding new features and improving existing ones, instead. That is fun. So there will be no localization support, my apologies to the international community of KSP.

@Enorats Some code has changed in the cryotank module, and the emulation in background need to be updated to reflect those changes. I'll add it to the ever-growing list of things todo for version 1.3.0

@CatastrophicFailure I'll investigate the issue, probably related to the 'bootstrap' signal network calculation that is done on-load. Seem to degenerate into O(N²) complexity, where it should not. Can you try a little test for me, disable Signal and try to load a savegame with many vessels, then let me know if it still hang on load.

@APlayer Oops. A mistake in the Experiment module. An operator should be required only if 'crew' is specified in the config node. I'll fix in next version.

@ItCameFromDuna In emitter, radiation is expressed in rad/s. The comment you refer to is out of sync with the actual value (probably changed and I forgot to update the comment), and should read '0.015 rad/h' in your case.

@gietek The ISRU part of this mod is inspired by real chemical processes. I am open to suggestion for new processes, provided that they are based in reality.

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

The ISRU part of this mod is inspired by real chemical processes. I am open to suggestion for new processes, provided that they are based in reality.

MRE is meant for oxygen and metals, so why not C, right? Then you could burn those two to make CO2. I might be wrong but this seems like a perfectly acceptable feature and it won't break the immersion.

2 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@CatastrophicFailure I'll investigate the issue, probably related to the 'bootstrap' signal network calculation that is done on-load. Seem to degenerate into O(N²) complexity, where it should not. Can you try a little test for me, disable Signal and try to load a savegame with many vessels, then let me know if it still hang on load

Thanx for the nod. I'll have to check back through the archive and see if I still have a bloated save left (I should, I collect backup saves like a crazyman.)

17 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Oops. A mistake in the Experiment module. An operator should be required only if 'crew' is specified in the config node. I'll fix in next version.

Okay, good to know. No worries, it's not too bad. :) 

While you're at it on this module, may I also suggest a thing? I think many players make sounding rockets in their early career games for a small science boost. But the experiment module prevents this by requiring lots of time to gather the science. I think it would make more sense to split the experiment modules into two pieces of data (the kind of data that you see when you click "Data" on a probe core): The "initial" data - which is collected immediately and makes up say, 1/3 or 1/4 of the total experiment's science value and 1/10 or 1/20 of the total data size (I am not sure, something quickly transmissible anyway). And once this initial data is collected, there would be the "Long term observation" data, which makes up the rest of the science value and data size. This would happen per biome, that is, if you enter a new biome and the experiment switches to observing it, it creates another piece of initial data.

What this is for, are suborbital rockets in the early career game and fast flybys (Moho, hehe :P) later. Currently, one cannot collect any meaningful science from those, which may prevent or at least discourage this kind of missions. The proposed system, however, would ensure an immediate science gain, but still encourage longer term observation missions by reserving most of the science for them. This also adds some realism - you get some knowledge about a place by looking at a momentary set of data, but you truly learn about it when you observe it over some time. And I believe it will only require comparatively minor changes to the experiment module's code to implement.

@ShotgunNinja It seems that Cryotanks/Kerbalism interaction is broken again, My EC doesn't change when not focused, transmission stalls, and KSP.log is full of this:

[EXC 16:44:33.665] ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: key
        System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,KERBALISM.resource_info].TryGetValue (System.String key, KERBALISM.resource_info& value)
        KERBALISM.vessel_resources.Info (.Vessel v, System.String resource_name)
        KERBALISM.Background.ProcessCryoTank (.Vessel v, .ProtoPartSnapshot p, .ProtoPartModuleSnapshot m, .PartModule simple_boiloff, KERBALISM.vessel_resources resources, Double elapsed_s)
        KERBALISM.Background.update (.Vessel v, KERBALISM.vessel_info vi, KERBALISM.VesselData vd, KERBALISM.vessel_resources resources, Double elapsed_s)
        KERBALISM.Kerbalism.FixedUpdate ()

Disabling cooling didn't help.

Edited by lordcirth

I just killed Jeb :-( using time warp. There was a warning message from Kerbalism, but before I could slow down he was gone :-(

It would be nice to set a "pause" flag on alerts as kerbal alarm clock does or did I do something wrong?

3 hours ago, MacLuky said:

I just killed Jeb :-( using time warp. There was a warning message from Kerbalism, but before I could slow down he was gone :-(

It would be nice to set a "pause" flag on alerts as kerbal alarm clock does or did I do something wrong?

Kerbalism does stop warp on messages, but the stock game "winds down" warp rather than stopping instantly, so if the problem is sudden, they can still die.  Out of curiosity, what type of warning/death was it?

Is there a way to set the default behavior to do not give a message for signal lost and signal regained? The other messages are useful to me and I want to continue to see them, but it's slightly annoying to have to remember to turn off the signal messages for every single probe.

10 hours ago, lordcirth said:

Kerbalism does stop warp on messages, but the stock game "winds down" warp rather than stopping instantly, so if the problem is sudden, they can still die.  Out of curiosity, what type of warning/death was it?

co2 poisoning, I saw lightheaded for a second and then death. I believe KAC has some code that slows down in time. It seems to pause quite accurately, might be worth to take a look at. I'll be more careful in the future. Awesome mod btw. did some testing for my patches on 1.3 with TAC but switched back to Kerbalism as soon as they were confirmed to work, 

4 hours ago, MacLuky said:

co2 poisoning, I saw lightheaded for a second and then death. I believe KAC has some code that slows down in time. It seems to pause quite accurately, might be worth to take a look at. I'll be more careful in the future. Awesome mod btw. did some testing for my patches on 1.3 with TAC but switched back to Kerbalism as soon as they were confirmed to work, 

Yeah, CO2 buildup is one of the quickest things.  But what was the cause of *that*?  That only happens when a scrubber breaks, or you run out of EC, both of which are their own warnings.  Unless you turned the scrubber off? :P

I am playing KSP x64 v1.3.0.1804 with Kerbalism and USI exploration pack in sandbox mode.  I have launched an Otter crew cabin into orbit around Kerbin with some batteries.  The nitrogen usage is normal at first, but if I disable the habitat function, and then enable it, the nitrogen levels deplete very quickly, about 1 unit / s.

Mods:
Community Resource Pack v0.7.1.0
Firespitter Core v7.6.0
Kerbalism v1.2.9
Module Manager v2.8.1
USI Exploration Pack v0.8.1.0
USI Tools v0.9.2.0

I created a clean KSP install and only installed Kerbalism and USI Exploration pack from Ckan, including the dependancies.

Steps to reproduce:

Go into VAB, place the Stayputnik as the root part, place an Otter Crew Cabin below, and 4 x Z1-K batteries below again.  Stick a Communotron 16s on the side.  Save and launch.  Press Alt-F12, select Cheats, select Set Orbit.  Ensure Kerbin is selected and set the Semi-Major Axis to 2686750 and select Set Orbit  Close the Set Orbit Window.  Right click on the Otter Crew Cabin and leave this window open.  Timewarp for a period of time to ensure that the Nitrogen usage is normal, about 1 unit every 30 minutes of game time.  Disable the habitat.  Once disable, enable the habitat again.  Nitrogen usage is about 1 unit / second.

If I disable the Pressure control the nitrogen usage stops (expected).  Starting pressure control the nitrogen usage starts again.  If I launch a new vessel and only disable and enable pressure control the nitrogen usage remains as normal.  it only happens when Habitat is disable and enabled.

Is there a way after I disable the habitat and enable it to return the nitrogen usage to normal rates?

[edit]

Actually just did another clean install and only installed Kerbalism and module manager, and did the same test using a Mk1 inline cockpit.  I had to configure pod for pressure control, but when I disable and enabled the habitat the same issue occurred on the Mk1.  The nitrogen usage skyrocketed after enabling the habitat.

Edited by Sethplays
Further testing and correction on details to repro.

OK So I found the answer:

When you enable the habitat it has to fully pressurise the cabin, and this takes a LOT of nitrogen.  For example on the Mk1 inline cockpit it takes just under 2500 units of nitrogen.  Once the cockpit is pressurised again the nitrogen usage returns to normal.

I didn't understand how this part of it worked, but it makes sense.  This means you can basically disable and enable the habitat on a Mk1 inline cockpit about 4 times if you carried the maximum of 10000 units of nitrogen.