[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

On 8/7/2017 at 1:46 PM, lordcirth said:

@ShotgunNinja It seems that Cryotanks/Kerbalism interaction is broken again, My EC doesn't change when not focused, transmission stalls, and KSP.log is full of this:

[EXC 16:44:33.665] ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: key
        System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,KERBALISM.resource_info].TryGetValue (System.String key, KERBALISM.resource_info& value)
        KERBALISM.vessel_resources.Info (.Vessel v, System.String resource_name)
        KERBALISM.Background.ProcessCryoTank (.Vessel v, .ProtoPartSnapshot p, .ProtoPartModuleSnapshot m, .PartModule simple_boiloff, KERBALISM.vessel_resources resources, Double elapsed_s)
        KERBALISM.Background.update (.Vessel v, KERBALISM.vessel_info vi, KERBALISM.VesselData vd, KERBALISM.vessel_resources resources, Double elapsed_s)
        KERBALISM.Kerbalism.FixedUpdate ()

Disabling cooling didn't help.

Bummer. I should have remembered about this. Just docked an exceptionally cool cryogenically fueled spaceplane to my station, focused on another satellite for a few hours, and killed another crew. Very sad.

hmm seems the fuel cell changes made by kerbalsim will conflict with the ones that MKS make.

updated my kerbalsim profile to add a version without fuel cell edits by kerbalism for mks users.

opened own page for my profile here

Edited by sidfu

Let's imagine a lovely base on Duna.
For the happiness of the kerbals the base is huge and it will grant at least 200 m^3 per kerbal using converted fuel tanks as extra habitats. (did I mention it is lovely?)
The crew is going to spend some years on the site, but the supplies will be the easiest part: the real problem is the radiation hazard.
I can create a small shelter for the storms, but realistically the rest cannot be shielded. So... here we are: the base needs at least 5 active shields always on. The night is long on Duna and it means that the base will need at least 120 Z-4K battery banks (4000 EC each). A skyscraper of batteries. That is a bit ridiculous.
Ok, so I tried to store energy in a different way: electrolysis during light hours and fuel cells overnight. Both always on. Apparently it works... but only apparently because I was not able to stabilize the process in order to get it working by itself indefinitely. It produces too much water or too little. I tried to regulate it using the automation tools (sun/shadow or low/hi battery) but it is even worse. Moreover this approach does not sound enough realistic.
A bunch of RTGs would solve the electrical problem but not the radioactive one...

Some thoughts:
1) It would be helpful to have bigger batteries with higher capacity and a new 3.75m supply container
2) It would be nice to be able to add shielding to RTG in order to lower the emissions
3) It would be equally nice that the radiation dose of a RTG could take into account the distance between the RTG device and the closest habitat (any designer would put them as far as possibile from crew)
4) It would be great to tag one o more habitats as "shelter habitat" in order to use that seats during storms (and avoid venting the whole base each time)
5) Compatcing ore in order to produce shielding seems more reasonable for a base than using poo

Ps. Thanks for this intriguing mod!!!

Edited by Basilicofresco

On 13.08.2017 at 9:46 PM, sidfu said:

finaly getting around to playing ksp again updated my tac profile for kerbalsim. any feedback is welcome.

Did this config overrides electricity solar panel rules that they can receive power from multiple stars

ShotgunNinja did u plan add support for multiple stars mods??

Edited by Syczek

Ran into an issue where I was unable to leave the astronaut building and even a complete lockup of my persist file due to the renamer. Apparently I had a scenario running for a Kerman, but he got renamed to Galean. The mismatch caused the game to freak out.

Workaround: remove the renamer

Prevent: don't use old save files with new mods ;-)

15 hours ago, Basilicofresco said:

For the happiness of the kerbals the base is huge and it will grant at least 200 m^3 per kerbal using converted fuel tanks as extra habitats. (did I mention it is lovely?)
The crew is going to spend some years on the site, but the supplies will be the easiest part: the real problem is the radiation hazard.
I can create a small shelter for the storms, but realistically the rest cannot be shielded. So... here we are: the base needs at least 5 active shields always on. The night is long on Duna and it means that the base will need at least 120 Z-4K battery banks (4000 EC each). A skyscraper of batteries. That is a bit ridiculous.
Ok, so I tried to store energy in a different way: electrolysis during light hours and fuel cells overnight. Both always on. Apparently it works... but only apparently because I was not able to stabilize the process in order to get it working by itself indefinitely. It produces too much water or too little. I tried to regulate it using the automation tools (sun/shadow or low/hi battery) but it is even worse. Moreover this approach does not sound enough realistic.
A bunch of RTGs would solve the electrical problem but not the radioactive one...

Some thoughts:
1) It would be helpful to have bigger batteries with higher capacity and a new 3.75m supply container
2) It would be nice to be able to add shielding to RTG in order to lower the emissions
3) It would be equally nice that the radiation dose of a RTG could take into account the distance between the RTG device and the closest habitat (any designer would put them as far as possibile from crew)
4) It would be great to tag one o more habitats as "shelter habitat" in order to use that seats during storms (and avoid venting the whole base each time)
5) Compatcing ore in order to produce shielding seems more reasonable for a base than using poo

Ps. Thanks for this intriguing mod!!!

1) Near Future Electrical has bigger batteries.  A 3.75m supply would be nice.

2) This was discussed here in the past but I can't find it now

3) As mentioned back a bit, Shotgunninja intends to disable NERV radiation (and maybe also RTG?) until this can be implemented.
4) That does sound handy

5) Ore -> shielding does make sense, also sounds easy to implement, maybe one of us should make the pull request.

Edited by lordcirth

I have a question. Tried searching for it but couldn't find it. Since kerbalism disables and replaces stock Kerbnet, is there a way to hide the communications lines when I don't care? they really clutter up the scene and i'd like to be able to show/hide them as necessary.

12 hours ago, Syczek said:

Did this config overrides electricity solar panel rules that they can receive power from multiple stars

ShotgunNinja did u plan add support for multiple stars mods??

all my profile does is disable the parts that conflict with  tac like food consumption and such. a few modules are disabled like the mono fuel cell mostly to prevent ui clutter but other than that is all the base kerbalsim systems

On 2017-08-16 at 5:03 PM, Basilicofresco said:

For the happiness of the kerbals the base is huge and it will grant at least 200 m^3

Oh, I forgot to mention - pretty sure the stress effect of living space caps at 40 m^3.

11 hours ago, Thobewill10 said:

I have a question. Tried searching for it but couldn't find it. Since kerbalism disables and replaces stock Kerbnet, is there a way to hide the communications lines when I don't care? they really clutter up the scene and i'd like to be able to show/hide them as necessary.

Have you found a solution to this yet?

It bugs me as well. 

I further experimented with fuel cells and electrolysis in order to store energy and I found the problem. Few thoughts, again. :wink:

1) Chemical Plants keep running electrolysis even if the tanks of O2 and H2 are full. For sure they should stop when tanks are full. For example fuel cells stop burning fuel when the batteries are full. The best option would be a switch in order to choose between "stop as soon all the tanks are full", "stop as soon O2 tank is full" and "stop as soon H2 tank is full". I would like to use the H2 tank in order to regulate the electrolysis: I need to stop electrolysis as soon H2 is full in order to preserve water. Apparently it is the only way to get it working.

2) It would be nice to have also a Big Chemical Plant. The perfect size would be 6 times bigger than the current plant because the Fuel Cell Array is 6 times bigger than Fuel Cell. Ops, I just noticed the new role of the Convert-O-Tron 250 and Convert-O-Tron 125. However comparing the masses of these converters, the mass of Chemical Plant seems to be just too low, it should weight about the double.

3) The automation module is really interesting and with few improvements may be used to better regulate complex processes. For example new conditions like nomore_power_high and nomore_power_low could be useful. If the power is no more above 80% is an early warning that the energy production is no more able to cover the consume.

4) The condition "sunlight" cannot be used to start energy hungry processes because at the dawn there is not enough light. What about two conditions about the atmospheric transmittance of sunlight? For example below 33% and above 36%?

Ok, Near Future Electrical has got a bigger and denser battery (10000 EC), however I would like to keep the number of installed mod as low as possibile. Moreover thinking again about large scale energy storage for a base, fuel cells+electrolysis sounds less unrealistic when compared against huge battery banks.

Edited by Basilicofresco

New issue: when I try to enter my return vehicle with EVA reports and samples, I must dump them. The pod has a ModuleCommand and a harddrive as a result, but not sure why I can't store experiments. Crew reports get stored fine.

Update: weird. can't reproduce, maybe a glitch

Edited by MacLuky

On 8/17/2017 at 3:36 PM, Thobewill10 said:

21 hours ago, Nathangun said:

Have you found a solution to this yet?

It bugs me as well. 

It's a little bit awkward to do, but you can open each craft's cfg in Kerbalism's menu and click on the green checkmark by "show links" to turn off the green lines. It's the same place to configure what messages pop up. I like to leave one or two dedicated commsats' links visible, and turn everything else off for that particular moon/planet.

On 17/8/2017 at 2:12 PM, lordcirth said:

1) Near Future Electrical has bigger batteries.  A 3.75m supply would be nice.

2) This was discussed here in the past but I can't find it now

3) As mentioned back a bit, Shotgunninja intends to disable NERV radiation (and maybe also RTG?) until this can be implemented.
4) That does sound handy

5) Ore -> shielding does make sense, also sounds easy to implement, maybe one of us should make the pull request.

@lordcirth Are you able to make the pull request? I'm not used to them.

Also the fact that the electrolysis keeps running even if the tanks are full sounds odd to me. What do you think?

On 8/19/2017 at 6:03 AM, Basilicofresco said:

@NIcklett Try with this: TAC profile for Kerbalism. Then replace "Profile = default" with "Profile = TAC" at the beginning of the file Settings.cfg

i already have a settings.cfg included with it changed. also included is a profile that keeps some modules that conflict with MKS but are removed in the normal setup.

@ShotgunNinja may I suggest that the labs should once again make more science for you? They should also be able to do as they do now, which is convert samples into transferrable data but that shouldn't be all they can do, they should be able to make more science. The current system rather discourages station building, also converting samples to transmittable data is somewhat unnecessary, using the lab to make more science is more necessary, so why not let it do both? I'm voicing this after doing an EVE mission and after I processed a sample, seeing that I didn't get more science, it felt.... just terrible, keeping them in orbit processing science just to can send it home when I could have brought them home much faster