[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I’m not at my computer right now and can’t verify this, but you might be able to use the scripting system to simply turn the greenhouses off at night. 

That's actually a pretty good idea; though I think if you fast-forward too fast scripts don't trigger fast enough.

1 hour ago, lordcirth said:

That's actually a pretty good idea; though I think if you fast-forward too fast scripts don't trigger fast enough.

So far it’s been working out well for me with fuel cells & solar-powered hydrolysis, but I’m very careful with what I trust live crews too. Plentiful save backups are your friend. :D

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So far it’s been working out well for me with fuel cells & solar-powered hydrolysis, but I’m very careful with what I trust live crews too. Plentiful save backups are your friend. :D

Oh, you're doing a chemical energy storage loop?  Neat!  Can you post pics/info?  I suggested that to someone a while ago, but then I found out that the Universal Storage fuel cell I was using was OP compared to Kerbalism's conversion of the stock one.

20 hours ago, lordcirth said:

Oh, you're doing a chemical energy storage loop?  Neat!  Can you post pics/info?  I suggested that to someone a while ago, but then I found out that the Universal Storage fuel cell I was using was OP compared to Kerbalism's conversion of the stock one.

I think this is Kerbalism's stock conversion. As you can see, the probe has been active for 160+ (24-hour) days. It launched with the water tanks half full, they're not empty but hydrogen and oxygen are still full. It doesn't use the fuel cell much in the current high orbit but used to be much lower down. I've got the scripts set so the fuel cell kicks in in the dark, then the chemical plant with hydrolysis starts up in the light. Would probably be more efficient to wait until the batteries discharged a little, but I never got any "out of power" warnings so the setup does seem to work. I should try it again with something in low orbit, now.

A0syfNq.png

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I think this is Kerbalism's stock conversion. As you can see, the probe has been active for 160+ (24-hour) days. It launched with the water tanks half full, they're not empty but hydrogen and oxygen are still full. It doesn't use the fuel cell much in the current high orbit but used to be much lower down. I've got the scripts set so the fuel cell kicks in in the dark, then the chemical plant with hydrolysis starts up in the light. Would probably be more efficient to wait until the batteries discharged a little, but I never got any "out of power" warnings so the setup does seem to work. I should try it again with something in low orbit, now.

The Alkaline Fuel Cell Mini is from SETI probe parts, and I don't think it's linear compared to the stock/Kerbalism one.  But it's not as OP as the US one, I think.  I've been considering making a config for both of them that makes them Kerbalism-balanced.  Maybe I should get on with that.

Edited by lordcirth

On 10/23/2017 at 12:21 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

I’m not at my computer right now and can’t verify this, but you might be able to use the scripting system to simply turn the greenhouses off at night. 

On 10/23/2017 at 5:42 PM, lordcirth said:

Greenhouses need to be active at all times in order to work. Stopping it at any point stops the counter, so doing this may force you to way somewhere between 10-100 days depending on how long you turn them off for.

As for realism, consider that greenhouses need temperature control, humility/ hydration regulation, along with light control (depending on if the plant grown is a "short day" or "long day" plant).

14 hours ago, Zombie_Striker said:

Greenhouses need to be active at all times in order to work. Stopping it at any point stops the counter, so doing this may force you to way somewhere between 10-100 days depending on how long you turn them off for.

Yes, of course plants that receive only 12/24 hours light grow slower than the ones that receive 24/24 light. But as I said, my Kerbals die, and I want the ship and station to stop wasting electricity on plants when the Kerbals need some too for life support.

From here on this post is gonna be a bit of a complaint... as I am a little disappointed now. Mostly with myself for failing again (after having invested a LOT of time again), but also a little with Kerbalism for just being too hard. I am a pretty decent player at KSP, but I just cannot get 4 Kerbals to visit Duna and return safely. I tried 4 times now, with various ships. I think I got the right formula now, but I also think I am tired of trying. Radiation killed them twice (2nd time with a ship with maxed out shields btw, just orbited with the ship at or just outside the radiation belt... rather than inside). Also made a mistake once with greenhouses & supplies... And this time my ship just suffered so many critical failures that it cannot return.

If people feel like trying: I recommend that you at first turn off the radiation and critical failures. You will enjoy it more. And even then: use plenty of save games. Sometimes you warp to 100,000x, and the intervals that the game checks on your ships can happen to be chosen such that the ship is in the shadow a few orbits / days in a row, and the Kerbals die of freezing (life support failure). The solution is that you warp a little at lower speed, and the warp faster again.

9 hours ago, Magzimum said:

Yes, of course plants that receive only 12/24 hours light grow slower than the ones that receive 24/24 light. But as I said, my Kerbals die, and I want the ship and station to stop wasting electricity on plants when the Kerbals need some too for life support.

From here on this post is gonna be a bit of a complaint... as I am a little disappointed now. Mostly with myself for failing again (after having invested a LOT of time again), but also a little with Kerbalism for just being too hard. I am a pretty decent player at KSP, but I just cannot get 4 Kerbals to visit Duna and return safely. I tried 4 times now, with various ships. I think I got the right formula now, but I also think I am tired of trying. Radiation killed them twice (2nd time with a ship with maxed out shields btw, just orbited with the ship at or just outside the radiation belt... rather than inside). Also made a mistake once with greenhouses & supplies... And this time my ship just suffered so many critical failures that it cannot return.

If people feel like trying: I recommend that you at first turn off the radiation and critical failures. You will enjoy it more. And even then: use plenty of save games. Sometimes you warp to 100,000x, and the intervals that the game checks on your ships can happen to be chosen such that the ship is in the shadow a few orbits / days in a row, and the Kerbals die of freezing (life support failure). The solution is that you warp a little at lower speed, and the warp faster again.

I feel as though Kerbalism reflects reality, in that there are a lot of minor mistakes can jeopardize a mission, and that manned missions require a lot of planning and redundancies. For example, I am also sending a mission to Duna. In it, I use TWO spacecrafts, and for each spacecraft, the habitation modules can separate from the booster stages so they can swap components if parts of both crafts both fail.

If you're a casual player, who just wants to launch spacecrafts and simply travel to another planet, this is not for you. With this mod, you basically have to treat this as if it were real, and have contingency plans if something unexpected happens.

Edited by Zombie_Striker
Removed phrase

1 hour ago, Zombie_Striker said:

I feel as though Kerbalism reflects reality, in that there are a lot of minor mistakes can jeopardize a mission, and that manned missions require a lot of planning and redundancies. For example, I am also sending a mission to Duna. In it, I use TWO spacecrafts, and for each spacecraft, the habitation modules can separate from the booster stages so they can swap components if parts of both crafts both fail.

If you're a casual player, who just wants to launch spacecrafts and simply travel to another planet, this is not for you. With this mod, you basically have to treat this as if it were real, and have contingency plans if something unexpected happens.

Oh, you're absolutely right. Kerbalism just requires more studying than I had anticipated, and as a result I am dropping out a little disappointed.

I think your comment hit the nail on the head, @Zombie_Striker: This is a mod that takes things so serious that a player who wants to travel beyond Minmus should expect to invest serious amounts of time to test, retest any part of the mission. Then launch a trial run, and expect to fail that too because you either overlooked a piece of info, or it's not available. And perhaps after 4 attempts you may succeed. If you set off with such an expectation, the disappointment with failures will not be as big as in my experience. 

To put it simply: a Duna mission on Kerbalism is MUCH harder than a Jool-5 mission or even a grand tour with a regular stock game.

On a brighter note, does anyone know of a successful Duna mission which uses Kerbalism? After spending hundreds of hours trying myself (and failing), I'd be curious to see how others did it.

1 hour ago, Magzimum said:

Oh, you're absolutely right. Kerbalism just requires more studying than I had anticipated, and as a result I am dropping out a little disappointed.

I think your comment hit the nail on the head, @Zombie_Striker: This is a mod that takes things so serious that a player who wants to travel beyond Minmus should expect to invest serious amounts of time to test, retest any part of the mission. Then launch a trial run, and expect to fail that too because you either overlooked a piece of info, or it's not available. And perhaps after 4 attempts you may succeed. If you set off with such an expectation, the disappointment with failures will not be as big as in my experience. 

To put it simply: a Duna mission on Kerbalism is MUCH harder than a Jool-5 mission or even a grand tour with a regular stock game.

On a brighter note, does anyone know of a successful Duna mission which uses Kerbalism? After spending hundreds of hours trying myself (and failing), I'd be curious to see how others did it.

Try here: 

3 hours ago, depp18 said:

Hey, is it just me or do none of the parts for Kerbalism show up in the SPH or VAB? I can only seem to find them when I go to the 'Tech level' category when building. Please help!

I'm also having this problem.
Anyone know if the mod is incompatible with ksp 1.3.1?
If so, does anyone know when it will update?

5 hours ago, depp18 said:

Hey, is it just me or do none of the parts for Kerbalism show up in the SPH or VAB? I can only seem to find them when I go to the 'Tech level' category when building. Please help!

2 hours ago, Wesley Balestrini said:

I'm also having this problem.
Anyone know if the mod is incompatible with ksp 1.3.1?
If so, does anyone know when it will update?

There's a fix:

https://github.com/ShotgunNinja/Kerbalism/issues/163#issuecomment-338813010

Playing Kerbalism 1.28 in KSP 1.22 with RSS and 'unmanned before manned' tech tree installed a few months now, finally got a space station up and running, a plant growing facility will be the next step. 

There's enough food for 96 days, oxygen for 200 days, water for 200 days. 

5hpNvyv.png

Edited by Nathangun

Hi. I'm using the latest CKAN Kerbalism with KSP 1.2.2. I launched my first commsats and they have enough electricity when being focused as active vessel, but in timewarp outside, their power gets drained. What am I doing wrong? BTW, I have RO/RSS/RP-0 with RT but without TACLS.

8 hours ago, AlekM said:

Hi. I'm using the latest CKAN Kerbalism with KSP 1.2.2. I launched my first commsats and they have enough electricity when being focused as active vessel, but in timewarp outside, their power gets drained. What am I doing wrong? BTW, I have RO/RSS/RP-0 with RT but without TACLS.

What version is that?  The latest Kerbalism version is compiled for 1.3.0.

On 10/23/2017 at 1:09 AM, John Nowak said:

I don't think that feature is available in stock KSP any more. In the recent releases, a Scientist on EVA can reset the experiments; it's not done by the lab. 

Wooops! I'll check if it's true.