[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

@ShotgunNinja, I have a problem running Kerbalism with Near Future Electrical, specifically it's nuclear reactors. When a vessel has an active reactor, and I try to warp past x1000, Kerbalism gives a message, "A producer of electric charge has incoherent behavior at high warp speed. Unload the vessel before warping". That is, of course, quite inconvenient, as I have to go to tracking station and warp there.

Is there a fix for this?

I tried this profile for using TAC and Kerbalism

While food seems to work, I noticed Nitrogen becomes a useless resource. Is anyone aware if it is supposed to be like this, or is it a 1.31 incompatibility issue?

Also does anyone know a perfectly working profile for using tac and kerbalism? (I love too much tac containers)

Thank you

26 minutes ago, John Nowak said:

When you do, could you post back please? I'm kind of curious.

Sure. I've crashed my craft yesterday (just did not look at orbit elements in time), so I has to restore older save. Maybe right now, with coffee after dinner

2 hours ago, John Nowak said:

Without Kerbalism, I can transfer experiment from SC-9001  to Mobile Lab and then perform clean experiments, so SC-9001 is clear again, and data stored for return. Putting a scientist out of ship every time is boring, I strongly prefer this behavior; also, I'd like to select where to transfer science data (lander -> station -> interplanetary craft -> Kerbin orbital station -> Kerbin )

6 minutes ago, MacGregor said:

Sorry if this has already been covered, but when will Kerbalism be up on Ckan

It's been on CKAN since version 0.9.9.0, for KSP 1.05.  That's a few years.

The most recent version of Kerbalism appears to be for KSP 1.3.0, so perhaps you're not seeing Kerbalism because you have CKAN set to only show explicitly 1.3.1 compatible mods.  If you set CKAN to show 1.3 (not 1.3.0 or 1.3.1) mods, it will pick up mods for all the minor KSP releases.  You should then see Kerbalism, as well as a lot of other mods that will work with 1.3.1 but haven't (yet) been marked as compatible with the .1 release.

56 minutes ago, AG5BPilot said:

It's been on CKAN since version 0.9.9.0, for KSP 1.05.  That's a few years.

The most recent version of Kerbalism appears to be for KSP 1.3.0, so perhaps you're not seeing Kerbalism because you have CKAN set to only show explicitly 1.3.1 compatible mods.  If you set CKAN to show 1.3 (not 1.3.0 or 1.3.1) mods, it will pick up mods for all the minor KSP releases.  You should then see Kerbalism, as well as a lot of other mods that will work with 1.3.1 but haven't (yet) been marked as compatible with the .1 release.

Got it. Thanks pal. 

Guys, I was messing around with my addons in CKAN, and I probably did something wrong, because Kerbalism food and water containers are gone from VAB/SPH. Already built vessels have them, because Kerbalism is installed, but I can't add these containers to any new vessels. They don't even show up in search or R&D. I checked GameData folder, and all the container parts are in Kerbalism folder where they are supposed to be. Other Kerbalism parts like Radiation Scanner or small antenna are available. It's just the containers that are gone. I tried reinstalling Kerbalism, to no avail.

Has this ever happened to anyone? How do I fix it?

EDIT: These containers are in R&D after all, and they are unlocked. But they are not available anymore in VAB/SPH.

Edited by aluc24

2 hours ago, aluc24 said:

Guys, I was messing around with my addons in CKAN, and I probably did something wrong, because Kerbalism food and water containers are gone from VAB/SPH. Already built vessels have them, because Kerbalism is installed, but I can't add these containers to any new vessels. They don't even show up in search or R&D. I checked GameData folder, and all the container parts are in Kerbalism folder where they are supposed to be. Other Kerbalism parts like Radiation Scanner or small antenna are available. It's just the containers that are gone. I tried reinstalling Kerbalism, to no avail.

Has this ever happened to anyone? How do I fix it?

EDIT: These containers are in R&D after all, and they are unlocked. But they are not available anymore in VAB/SPH.

Are you running 1.3.1?  That's what happens when you do.  There's a patch here: https://github.com/ShotgunNinja/Kerbalism/issues/163#issuecomment-338533058

One more question... I can't seem to use any of the convert-o-trons to make fuel from ore. Kerbalism turns them into Chemical plants, but although everything is unlocked in R&D, I'm still not seeing how to set them up to process ore. Is this a 1.3.1 thing, or am I missing something?

35 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

One more question... I can't seem to use any of the convert-o-trons to make fuel from ore. Kerbalism turns them into Chemical plants, but although everything is unlocked in R&D, I'm still not seeing how to set them up to process ore. Is this a 1.3.1 thing, or am I missing something?

Kerbalism doesn't let you magically turn ore into fuel directly; it's a chemical process.  By the way, liquid fuel is Methane (CH4) in Kerbalism.

For LF: The Sabatier Process will turn CO2 and and Hydrogen into Water and Liquid Fuel.  To get the Hydrogen, you can mine Water and split it with Water Electrolysis.  CO2 you can get from breathing, from a Waste Incinerator if you aren't using a greenhouse, or by extracting it from the atmosphere using the Spectro-fluid variometer on the right worlds.

For Oxidizer: The Anthraquinone Process can turn Hydrogen and Oxygen, such as from Water Electrolysis, into Oxidizer, which is Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2).

Notice that the convert-o-trons have 2 slots for processes; that makes this chain easier to lay out.  You may want 2 small ones for 4 processes instead of a bigger one; bigger just makes it go faster.

Just now, lordcirth said:

Kerbalism doesn't let you magically turn ore into fuel directly; it's a chemical process.  By the way, liquid fuel is Methane (CH4) in Kerbalism.

For LF: The Sabatier Process will turn CO2 and and Hydrogen into Water and Liquid Fuel.  To get the Hydrogen, you can mine Water and split it with Water Electrolysis.  CO2 you can get from breathing, from a Waste Incinerator if you aren't using a greenhouse, or by extracting it from the atmosphere using the Spectro-fluid variometer on the right worlds.

For Oxidizer: The Anthraquinone Process can turn Hydrogen and Oxygen, such as from Water Electrolysis, into Oxidizer, which is Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2).

Notice that the convert-o-trons have 2 slots for processes; that makes this chain easier to lay out.  You may want 2 small ones for 4 processes instead of a bigger one; bigger just makes it go faster.

So... For example, if I wanted to send an unmanned probe to do mining on Minmus, it would be pretty much impossible, because there's no way to make CO2?

30 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

So... For example, if I wanted to send an unmanned probe to do mining on Minmus, it would be pretty much impossible, because there's no way to make CO2?

Correct.  Minmus doesn't have any atmosphere, or anything besides Ore.  Mun does have Water, at least.  By the way, the bodies' resources are configured in GameData/Kerbalism/System/Resources.cfg .

Just like real life, ISRU is neat but not simple.  It's better for long missions - Duna especially has everything you need to create LF+O.  Instead of a Minmus mining base, what I'd recommend is a refueling stop in LKO that you refill with SSTOs or at least cost-optimized rockets.  Routine Mission Manager may be useful for this.

2 hours ago, lordcirth said:

Correct.  Minmus doesn't have any atmosphere, or anything besides Ore.  Mun does have Water, at least.  By the way, the bodies' resources are configured in GameData/Kerbalism/System/Resources.cfg .

Just like real life, ISRU is neat but not simple.  It's better for long missions - Duna especially has everything you need to create LF+O.  Instead of a Minmus mining base, what I'd recommend is a refueling stop in LKO that you refill with SSTOs or at least cost-optimized rockets.  Routine Mission Manager may be useful for this.

I see... Kerbalism does indeed add a lot of awesome challenges :) Thank you very much for this explanation.

5 hours ago, Basilicofresco said:

Hi! Is there a way to set the same process in the pods of Convert-O-Tron 250?

You mean set both slots to the same process?  I don't think Kerbalism allows that, same with ECLSS.  Out of curiosity, what one process do you want?

Edited by lordcirth

1 hour ago, lordcirth said:

You mean set both slots to the same process?  I don't think Kerbalism allows that, same with ECLSS.  Out of curiosity, what one process do you want?

The modified MRE of course. :wink: A single big device is more realistic in this case than two smaller Convert-O-Tron 125.

On 11/2/2017 at 12:32 PM, John Nowak said:

I've checked; without Kerbalism, I can transfer science (for instance, to return it home) and I can reset experiments from lab.

Right now I'm starting my Duna campaign; robots first, of course, but in a day or two I'll have to decide if I'm processing with Kerbalism or without. I'd like to restore default behavior for science transfer and experiment resetting, it feels quite reasonable for me.

4 hours ago, tarkhil said:

I've checked; without Kerbalism, I can transfer science (for instance, to return it home) and I can reset experiments from lab.

Right now I'm starting my Duna campaign; robots first, of course, but in a day or two I'll have to decide if I'm processing with Kerbalism or without. I'd like to restore default behavior for science transfer and experiment resetting, it feels quite reasonable for me.

Kerbalism allows you to transfer data; right click on the pod you want it to go to.  As for the lab resetting everything, you need an EVA at the moment.

23 hours ago, lordcirth said:

Kerbalism allows you to transfer data; right click on the pod you want it to go to.  As for the lab resetting everything, you need an EVA at the moment.

Ok, so Kerbalism will go next time :( Maneuvering EVA on each landing and high/low in space is a bit boring :( 

3 hours ago, Risa123 said:

Is any way to turn off timewarp stop because I have big fleet of sats.

using the PauseBreak key will mute all notifications from spacecraft that would interfere with time warp. Use at your own risk :P