[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

2 hours ago, Nathangun said:

So I had my first solar storm to hit Earth.

I have a space station orbiting Earth and once the warning came I moved the crew into a shelter.

After the storm had passed I've noticed the crew have 1% Stress & 1% Radiation. Is this normal?

I believe Kerbalism calculates radiation damage as a function of "total habitable area" and "shielding". So ,for instance, having a large habitable space, but only one hitchhiker fully shielded(Like some sort of storm shelter) will not work out as you would think.. In that case you need to disable the habitats of the unshielded crew compartments. (I know I am almost right.. But I could still be wrong)

Also, what's the altitude of your space station?

Hi,

Just getting back to KSP after a few months off, started a new save after 1.3 and 1.3.1 patches, took the first contract "gathering science around Kerbin", and launched a pod with a Goo Capsule and Bob in it.

While on the launchpad, when I run the Goo Experiment, I only have 75% of the science value. I thought that Kerbalism changed that annoying grinding ? (or that's what I remember from my last game... last year maybe ?) Or is it a bug related to the errors Module Manager get with Kerbalism at launch ?

12 minutes ago, Cassin said:

Hi,

Just getting back to KSP after a few months off, started a new save after 1.3 and 1.3.1 patches, took the first contract "gathering science around Kerbin", and launched a pod with a Goo Capsule and Bob in it.

While on the launchpad, when I run the Goo Experiment, I only have 75% of the science value. I thought that Kerbalism changed that annoying grinding ? (or that's what I remember from my last game... last year maybe ?) Or is it a bug related to the errors Module Manager get with Kerbalism at launch ?

Yes, Kerbalism is supposed to fix that.  What errors do you get?  What MM version?

Last version of MM (downloaded via CKAN). A post on last page said the CFGs need a cleanup, but I don't know if it means "waiting for a new release of Kerbalism" or "tweak with the files" ^^

The errors are related to Kerbalism/Support/Contract Configurator.cfg and EPL.cfg (and I notice that today I only have 2 of them, got 3 yesterday ^^ )

Edited by Cassin

30 minutes ago, showell373 said:

Is Kerbalism compatible with 1.3.1? I noticed it is not coming up in CKAN

Yes but you'll need to manipulate some things.  Look back over the past few pages to see any cfg fioenediting and editions.  Basically in 1.3.1 the Kerbalism category doesn't come up and the latest MM throws some errors as above.

Peace

On 21.12.2017 at 12:05 AM, lordcirth said:

How did you have "perpetual" oxygen with a Kerbal?  Greenhouses?

Raising part quality is expensive because things break, and making things that don't break is hard.  High Quality should only be used when redundancy isn't a good option.  Have 2 of each ECLSS part you have, each with enough capacity for everything. Then the first failure would have been merely a warning.

No, I do not use a greenhouse on that station. I could not reproduce that event and learned that it might make sense to set up a reminder in Alarm Clock when a resupply mission or shift change on a station is demanded.

In "default.cfg" I eventually found this code for our ECLSS:

MODULE:NEEDS[FeatureReliability]
  {
    name = Reliability
    type = ProcessController
    title = ECLSS
    redundancy = Life Support
    repair = true // anyone
    mtbf = 72576000 // 8y
    extra_cost = 2.5
    extra_mass = 0.1
  }

Three things here:

1) Extra mass seems unrelated to capule mass or even the mass of a scrubber system with its 0.01 t (low for a scrubber without consumables, isn't it?) t for instance

2) Extra cost for redundand ECLSS in such a pod are off anything. Why not bring it in line with the heaviest Process Controller Monoprop Fuel Cell with a mass of 0.1 t and cost of 1000 - maybe triple or quadruple price penality. 

3) Mtbf is hidden in this file - it would be better to place it in "Reliability.cfg" (Thus I forgot to scale its value up in my 6.4 scale save)

Another topic:

Is it expacted behavior that Kerbals can live in a MK1 pod that long?
- 9d without pressure controle
- 99d with pressure control on (depending on electric charge of course)

We should have asked one of the Glory Seven Astronauts wether having an atmosphere in his Mercury capsule decreased stress level 11 folds ;-)

It is although a shame that Kerbals do not put there helmet on in a capsule without running CO2 scrubber and preferably suffocat to death.

8 hours ago, New Horizons said:

Three things here:

1) Extra mass seems unrelated to capule mass or even the mass of a scrubber system with its 0.01 t (low for a scrubber without consumables, isn't it?) t for instance

2) Extra cost for redundand ECLSS in such a pod are off anything. Why not bring it in line with the heaviest Process Controller Monoprop Fuel Cell with a mass of 0.1 t and cost of 1000 - maybe triple or quadruple price penality.

High Quality isn't redundant.  The best way to do long-term ECLSS is to have pairs of components in different cabins.  High Quality is trying to make a machine within the same space constraints that is far more reliable - thus slightly more mass and way more cost.  Since long term missions need living space anyway, go redundant.

Is it expacted behavior that Kerbals can live in a MK1 pod that long?

- 9d without pressure control
- 99d with pressure control on (depending on electric charge of course)

We should have asked one of the Glory Seven Astronauts wether having an atmosphere in his Mercury capsule decreased stress level 11 folds ;-)

Yes, that's normal.  Kerbalism is made for stock-balanced fun and some realism, not brutal difficulty.

It is although a shame that Kerbals do not put there helmet on in a capsule without running CO2 scrubber and preferably suffocat to death.

You can disable the habitat to force them to put their helmets on, though that won't buy much time, since iirc suits have non-regenerative scrubbers now.

On 21/12/2017 at 10:45 PM, Cassin said:

Hi,

Okay, that was not related to Kerbalism. I tried several things, like removing Kerbalism and tested with the Science Full Reward mod, and got the same result (75% of science on the Goo). So I reverted back to MM 2.8 and now it works again :) 

Well, I got a crash.  When I open up the data manager on my probe core, then toggle the map, the game crashes.  Using 64-bit KSP, Windows 10, 16gb.  I wanted to see if this also happened in 32-bit but ... well, KSP won't even load my save.  So, I can't seem to pin down if it's 64-bit related or not.  The output_log.txt and error.log

EDIT: I would love if there was a disable WYSWYG view, this forum software drives me nuts.  Anyways, I tried again and well ... it appears that wasn't the issue.  The issue was TRANSMITTING science and going to map mode.  I suppose I'll keep dabbling with it to see what happens.

EDIT2: As far as I can tell, when the science transmission is in-progress it crashes.  Otherwise it works fine, the windows opens normally and the map is unaffected.

List of mods:

-----       12/14/2017     14:07                B9PartSwitchd-----       11/18/2017     12:41                BoulderCo
da----       12/10/2017     16:09                Chatterer
d-----       12/14/2017     14:07                CommunityResourcePack
d-----       12/26/2017     14:30                Dynamic Controls
d-----       11/18/2017     16:52                DynamicBatteryStorage
d-----       11/18/2017     16:53                EditorExtensionsRedux
d-----       11/18/2017     12:41                EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
d-----       11/18/2017     16:51                Hyomoto
d-----       11/18/2017     12:41                KAS
d-----       12/26/2017     17:19                KerbalEngineer
d-----       11/18/2017     12:41                Kerbalism
d-----       11/18/2017     16:52                NearFutureConstruction
d-----       11/18/2017     16:52                NearFutureElectrical
d-----       11/18/2017     16:52                NearFutureLaunchVehicles
d-----       11/18/2017     16:52                NearFutureProps
d-----       11/18/2017     16:52                NearFuturePropulsion
d-----       11/18/2017     16:52                NearFutureSolar
d-----       11/18/2017     16:52                NearFutureSpacecraft
d-----       12/26/2017     14:40                Pilot Assistant
d-----       11/18/2017     13:34                RealChute
d-----       11/18/2017     12:59                Squad
d-----       11/18/2017     12:42                TextureReplacerReplaced
-a----       12/14/2017     14:07          78336 ModuleManager.2.8.1.dll
-a----       12/26/2017     15:22        3331566 ModuleManager.ConfigCache
-a----       12/26/2017     15:22         170101 ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
-a----       12/26/2017     15:22           8882 ModuleManager.Physics
-a----       12/26/2017     15:22          28994 ModuleManager.TechTree

EDIT: I hate the new forums.  They've been around for a while, but I would love if there was a disable WYSWYG view.  Anyways, I tried again and well ... it appears that wasn't the issue.  The issue was TRANSMITTING science and going to map mode.  I suppose I'll keep dabbling with it to see what happens.

Edited by Hyomoto

This mod looks stellar (or..interstellar! baaaazing)

I have played with TAC for years and feel USI is too simple. However, I love MKS from Umbral Space Tech for base creation, etc. Is this mod yet compatible directly with that base creation mod? Is there anything I need to know in that regard?

I am still scowering your forum here but don't see relevant posts so wanted to ask sooner rather than later so I can play tonight.

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, Friend Bear said:

This mod looks stellar (or..interstellar! baaaazing)

I have played with TAC for years and feel USI is too simple. However, I love MKS from Umbral Space Tech for base creation, etc. Is this mod yet compatible directly with that base creation mod? Is there anything I need to know in that regard?

I am still scowering your forum here but don't see relevant posts so wanted to ask sooner rather than later so I can play tonight.

Thanks in advance!

No, Kerbalism and MKS are not directly compatible, they have conflicting life support systems.  However one could take MKS part models and write Kerbalism configs for some of them.

Found it. The SSTU pod is leaking huge amounts. I thought I patched those with:

// Give proper size for ShipCore-B
@PART[SSTU-SC-B-CM|SSTU-SC-B-CMX]:NEEDS[FeatureHabitat]:AFTER[Kerbalism]
{
	@MODULE[Habitat]
	{
		volume = 4.09
		surface = 9.54
	}
}

@PART[SSTU-SC-C-CM|SSTU-SC-C-CMX]:NEEDS[FeatureHabitat]:AFTER[Kerbalism]
{
	@MODULE[Habitat]
	{
		volume = 9.20
		surface = 14.7
	}
}

@PART[SSTU-LC2-POD]:NEEDS[FeatureHabitat]:AFTER[Kerbalism]
{
	@MODULE[Habitat]
	{
		volume = 5.14
		surface = 12.48
	}
}

@PART[SSTU-LC3-POD]:NEEDS[FeatureHabitat]:AFTER[Kerbalism]
{
	@MODULE[Habitat]
	{
		volume = 7.14
		surface = 16.48
	}
}

Ah well, it's just the decent vehicle. They can survive that

Could anyone offer advice on how to add Kerbalism modules into existing parts?
I tried adding the firm ground bonus (couldn't find an example of the code for the existing grav ring)
Also tried for habitat volume/surface, following the example in the system configs, but there was no change on the part in game.
This is the code I added to habitat under the ad/hoc parts. I'm definitely not a coder and I was just trying to use the existing format as a template.

@PART[Centrifuge_30m]:NEEDS[FeatureHabitat]:AFTER[Kerbalism]{@MODULE[Habitat]    {    volume = 300    surface = 600    }}

I added this in between one part, after the }} without spaces, and before the next part's @PART.

I might be misunderstanding something basic, if anyone could point out my error or suggest a better way to do this I'd appreciate it. I've tried looking through the wiki on github and I haven't found any clearer way to do this.

23 minutes ago, Tallis161 said:

Could anyone offer advice on how to add Kerbalism modules into existing parts?
I tried adding the firm ground bonus (couldn't find an example of the code for the existing grav ring)
Also tried for habitat volume/surface, following the example in the system configs, but there was no change on the part in game.
This is the code I added to habitat under the ad/hoc parts. I'm definitely not a coder and I was just trying to use the existing format as a template.

@PART[Centrifuge_30m]:NEEDS[FeatureHabitat]:AFTER[Kerbalism]{@MODULE[Habitat]    {    volume = 300    surface = 600    }}

I added this in between one part, after the }} without spaces, and before the next part's @PART.

I might be misunderstanding something basic, if anyone could point out my error or suggest a better way to do this I'd appreciate it. I've tried looking through the wiki on github and I haven't found any clearer way to do this.

Just looking with a quick grep, the part is defined in ./Parts/GravityRing/GravityRing.cfg, and I think all you need is this:

MODULE              
  {                   
    name = GravityRing
    ec_rate = 2.5     
    deploy = open     
    rotate = rotate   
  }

This code seems to be what checks for it.

https://github.com/ShotgunNinja/Kerbalism/blob/master/src/Modules/Comfort.cs#L66

thanks for the reply :)
I did also try that, I added that code at the end of the part config, it was after a }} but I'm not sure if that affects anything. I saw on the github that the bonus seems to be coded to apply to all parts that have that particular grav ring module, rather than being its own bonus that can be applied to a part.
It usually shows the bonus in a tip when you open the part in VAB, not seeing any new module effects. The part is the Sin Phi 30m centrifuge, it does have low/high quality for maintenance but that could be procedurally added.
I think i'm following the basics but still no new effects showing up on the part :/

43 minutes ago, Tallis161 said:

thanks for the reply :)
I did also try that, I added that code at the end of the part config, it was after a }} but I'm not sure if that affects anything. I saw on the github that the bonus seems to be coded to apply to all parts that have that particular grav ring module, rather than being its own bonus that can be applied to a part.
It usually shows the bonus in a tip when you open the part in VAB, not seeing any new module effects. The part is the Sin Phi 30m centrifuge, it does have low/high quality for maintenance but that could be procedurally added.
I think i'm following the basics but still no new effects showing up on the part :/

Pretty sure the MODULE declaration has to be within the braces { } of the PART declaration.

6 hours ago, lordcirth said:

Pretty sure the MODULE declaration has to be within the braces { } of the PART declaration.

Thanks :) Moving it to just after another module declaration worked. :)
Could you possibly help with the hab parameter as well? This one I changed through the System/Habitat.cfg
adding this to the list of ad hoc parts.
@PART[Centrifuge_30m]:NEEDS[FeatureHabitat]:AFTER[Kerbalism]{@MODULE[Habitat]    {    volume = 300.01    surface = 600.01    }}

On 02/11/2017 at 5:04 AM, aluc24 said:

@ShotgunNinja, I have a problem running Kerbalism with Near Future Electrical, specifically it's nuclear reactors. When a vessel has an active reactor, and I try to warp past x1000, Kerbalism gives a message, "A producer of electric charge has incoherent behavior at high warp speed. Unload the vessel before warping". That is, of course, quite inconvenient, as I have to go to tracking station and warp there.

Is there a fix for this?

This is the same for me. Is there a way to fix this? It makes the craft explode due to ridiculous overheating.

Edited by Wilhelm Kerman

So, I have noticed a bug. Unfortunately I didn't screenshot as it was early in Carrer and I was too annoyed at the time. I accidentally ended up on one of those unfortunate transfers to Mun which put me in Kerbin's shadow for ages. With small parts limit = little redundant power storage. Anyway, I got the CO2 alarm and worked out that If I EVA for a few minutes I think I can survive this. We make it just out of the shadow, but CO2 is dropping too slowly to survive, so outside I go to await the fixing of the pod's air. But suddenly it seems we packed all the CO2 into the suit before leaving because the level jumped straight up to like 75% and I had to hammer on hyperedit to save my Kerbal as he went to only seconds to live..... Is this known bug?

My other question is also about EVA. Since annoyingly you cant populate a command chair in the VAB... Can Kerbals Fill resources like O2 from a vehicle while in a command chair? And how does EVA affect thier long term stress in terms of comfort levels, gravity etc? Thanks

Ok, so I ran tests and I see that a kerbal in a command chair is using ship resources. Does this mean that for calculating radiation dose and stress they are considered to be "inside" the vehicle?

Edited by Antstar

On 1/1/2018 at 3:32 PM, Wilhelm Kerman said:

This is the same for me. Is there a way to fix this? It makes the craft explode due to ridiculous overheating.

Yeah, it was a problem for me too. I don't have a solution but I do have a workaround though: More radiators or run the reactor at 0.5 or 1%. Assuming it is for electric engines, you don't need that much power at warp. Just remember to turn it down every time before you deselect the craft or when you come back it will suffer catastrophic meltdown :o