[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

25 minutes ago, Senior Slaphead said:

What I may try is just disconnecting the KAS pipe from the shielded habitat during a storm.  It kinda makes sense actually as you wouldn't want resources being pumped from an irradiated part of the base.

That does sound like a good way to handle it, at least for the time being. Of course, having four seats in your shielded shelter and eight kerbals on site isn't a winning proposition. 

Good idea to rotate the new crew home. They must have taken at least as many rads as the old crew did during the CME event. 

1 hour ago, John Nowak said:

That does sound like a good way to handle it, at least for the time being. Of course, having four seats in your shielded shelter and eight kerbals on site isn't a winning proposition. 

Good idea to rotate the new crew home. They must have taken at least as many rads as the old crew did during the CME event. 

Which was my next question... please tell me that kerbal irradiation is not persistent between missions? or at least that they get some of it scrubbed off them based on how much downtime they are given?  Someone really needs to make iodine tablets for KIS... me thyroids are humming.

Edited by Senior Slaphead

1 hour ago, Senior Slaphead said:

Which was my next question... please tell me that kerbal irradiation is not persistent between missions? or at least that they get some of it scrubbed off them based on how much downtime they are given?  Someone really needs to make iodine tablets for KIS... me thyroids are humming.

I'm not the developer so I hope I'm not talking out of hand, but as of 1.1.3 radiation and stress were reset when a kerbal lands on Kerbin. 

In current version, shielding and quality-of-life factors are calculated for each internal space. If you are using CLS, this mean each contiguous set of habitable parts (as determined by CLS) has its own factors. If you don't use CLS, then these factors are calculated for the whole vessel.

In the new version, the above has been replaced by 'habitats' modules, that can be enabled/disabled individually even in flight. The shielding and quality-of-life factors are simply calculated for all non-disabled habitats. This was necessary for the new pressurization system, and I believe it will be more intuitive for the user.

On 10/8/2016 at 0:40 PM, Bonus Eventus said:

Great job SN, looks dope! Looking forward to integrating Kerbalism into Mother when the new release is out. Cool to see you implemented the emitters module, now I can make some awesome shadow shield parts!

what's mother?

@ShotgunNinja I found an issue with Kerbalism that I noticed is missing, things never break down. 

@ShotgunNinja I'm unsure if I stated this before, but um, parts like, never break down. I've experienced this issue in sandbox, I haven't played career in a looong time. 

2 hours ago, theJesuit said:

looks awesome, KSP is really becoming something special, virtually all the mods Ive ever wanted are being made. 

I've never been this excited for KSP since 0.23.5. all the mods I've ever wanted are here!!! :)

17 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

In current version, shielding and quality-of-life factors are calculated for each internal space. If you are using CLS, this mean each contiguous set of habitable parts (as determined by CLS) has its own factors. If you don't use CLS, then these factors are calculated for the whole vessel.

In the new version, the above has been replaced by 'habitats' modules, that can be enabled/disabled individually even in flight. The shielding and quality-of-life factors are simply calculated for all non-disabled habitats. This was necessary for the new pressurization system, and I believe it will be more intuitive for the user.

Pressurisation system? Uh-oh... new opportunities for suffocating kerbals? :confused:

@ShotgunNinjaHi! I noticed that for the Kerbalism-NoLS configuration, the part malfunction system does not work. It seems that the .cfg wrote [EnableMalfuntion] while it should have wrote [EnableReliability]. When I changed it things worked again. Just in case others out there are having the same problem. :P Also, thank you so much for this amazing mod! 

19 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

If I'm reading this correctly, 1.2 has added a way of "enabling" or "disabling" individual crewed components in flight. 

So in the use case where someone builds a ship with one hardened safe haven and multiple unshielded components (e.g., a hardened command pod and a number of unhardened hitchhikers with a lab tossed in), it would be possible to move your crew into the safe haven, while "disabling" the other modules. During that period, the entire crew will get the benefit of the protection afforded by the hard pod. 

When the CME has passed, the other modules can be "activated." This reduces radiation protection, but allows Quality of Life to use the larger living space. 

That sounds excellent. There's a little bit of fiddling involved, but not a lot of it. 

@John Nowak You got it perfectly, that's the intended usage.

Also it could be used when you have a big station/base and you want to disable some of the habitat parts to not waste resources, as now there is oxygen leaking based on surface of enabled habitats and climate control cost is proportional to internal volume of enabled habitats.

To avoid clicking on all habitats and disabling them individually, you could use a script in the automation system maybe. I'll make the habitats controllable by script. Anyway I'm open to suggestion if you or anybody else has some ideas on how to improve this conceptually.

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@John Nowak You got it perfectly, that's the intended usage.

Also it could be used when you have a big station/base and you want to disable some of the habitat parts to not waste resources, as now there is oxygen leaking based on surface of enabled habitats and climate control cost is proportional to internal volume of enabled habitats.

To avoid clicking on all habitats and disabling them individually, you could use a script in the automation system maybe. I'll make the habitats controllable by script. Anyway I'm open to suggestion if you or anybody else has some ideas on how to improve this conceptually.

How about controlling them via action groups?

2 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Adding that to the automation system would work very nicely.

On top of that, I'd be willing to bet that most (but not all) vessels would be built with a hardened command pod, which in turn would usually be at the "front" of the vessel. If deactivating a living space also makes it (temporarily) impassable in Connected Living Space, then CLS should isolate the safe haven from the rest of the vessel. 

On 10/11/2016 at 8:04 PM, The-Doctor said:

@ShotgunNinja I'm unsure if I stated this before, but um, parts like, never break down. I've experienced this issue in sandbox, I haven't played career in a looong time. 

looks awesome, KSP is really becoming something special, virtually all the mods Ive ever wanted are being made. 

I've never been this excited for KSP since 0.23.5. all the mods I've ever wanted are here!!! :)

I have parts break down.  Most specifically I've had 3 probes/satellites have their reaction wheels breakdown.  I kinda laugh about it imagining that the "manufacturer" is getting an earful.

I just want to say that with this mod I only need KER or MJ, Kerbalism, and Stock Visual Enhancements. Maybe Docking port indicator, but it´s an optional.
ShotgunNinja, you just reduced my modlist from several tens to a few ones.

Thanks a lot for that!

Z

Edited by ezequielandrush

I dunno if this has been discussed, but... when calculating solar radiation on a crewed part, why not use the solar array code to establish which parts are occluding the sun and add their mass to the equation? This is presumably already a background process for solar arrays, so would it add that much processing overhead? It would also add a gameplay element in that you would have to angle your vessel to take advantage of parts that would provide good shielding.

E.g. I had a vessel a while back that was shipping pure gold... I'm assuming that 1.25 meters of pure gold is reasonably good radiation shielding.

8%20Tin%20Gold%20Lander_zpsfq9qcxf1.jpg

Hey, 

im having problems with the mod and it all started recently. It was working fine with all the mods before, then one day oxygen and food simply stoped showing. I noticed i couldnt click to check any of the parts from the mod. No moded resources whatsoever. 

I did clean install and tried only with kerbalism, still the problem persists. 

http://pastebin.com/NLRu84Ev

[snip] 

Edited by morigenos
Removed log file.

Hi @morigenos, and welcome to our forum. :)

Unfortunately, a whole log file is too big to submit within a forum post, and will cause problems for people trying to view this forum page, so the moderation team has removed it. Please upload that file to a hosting service such as Pastebin.com, and then use the link they provide in your posts here. Most of those sites allow uploads with a free membership or no member account at all. 

And good luck with your problem. 

4 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Hi @morigenos, and welcome to our forum. :)

Unfortunately, a whole log file is too big to submit within a forum post, and will cause problems for people trying to view this forum page, so the moderation team has removed it. Please upload that file to a hosting service such as Pastebin.com, and then use the link they provide in your posts here. Most of those sites allow uploads with a free membership or no member account at all. 

And good luck with your problem. 

Thank you for the info. Sry for being so lazy to read the FAQ. 

Well this should be stock from the start... I wonder what Elon Musk has to say about it :wink:... how the heck I didn't know about this mod... I always hated those stupid youtube videos of missions who last for 85 years with kerbals who ride external seat strapped to nuke engine and take slingshot maneuver close to sun... I mean really people? Really? Keeping a close eye on this and waiting for 1.2...

Btw I have really good fun reading wiki... recreational plants in space... fat finger... :):):)... can't wait for it, great job man, great job... 

Edited by NeverEnoughFuel!!

Hey all, I love this mod, but I'm getting a show-stopper bug where my Kerbals die in high time warp on any ship that has a day/night cycle, sometimes after a few hours, sometimes after a few days. The message is always "EC low" followed almost instantly by "burned alive". If I switch to the ship in question, I have loads of EC. If I put a station at the poles (always day), everything is fine. If I stick with low (1-4) time warp, no problem. I've seen posts about this issue way back in May, but no resolution was offered.

Is it possible the background resource processing is, just by bad luck, catching my ships in the dark several orbits in a row? Let me know what I can provide to be more helpful.

KSP 1.1.3, Kerbalism 1.1.4

15 hours ago, podbaydoor said:

Is it possible the background resource processing is, just by bad luck, catching my ships in the dark several orbits in a row? Let me know what I can provide to be more helpful

That's good thinking but I already switch to determining sunlight exposition analytically for the whole orbit if there are less than 16 samples per-orbit. So lets say that particular orbit has a sunlight exposure of 70%, when the timewarp is high enough so that the sun visibility is evalued less than 16 times per-orbit, then the vessel is assumed to be always in sunlight, but with 70% intensity.

But what you describe seem like my fix is not working as expected. Can you provide more details: on what body and at what altitude your vessel is when the problem manifest, what are the ec consumers/producers on the vessel in question, and how many vessels you have in total?

On 10/11/2016 at 9:01 PM, Senior Slaphead said:

I don't know if that was a joke, but if it's not, a clarification - iodide tablets are not "against radiation" or ionizing radiation in general. They're taken before exposure to radioisotopes of iodine to curb their accumulation in the thyroid gland where they would bombard the gland with ionizing rays. They're useless for anything other than that, except for preventing goitre.

11 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

That's good thinking but I already switch to determining sunlight exposition analytically for the whole orbit if there are less than 16 samples per-orbit. So lets say that particular orbit has a sunlight exposure of 70%, when the timewarp is high enough so that the sun visibility is evalued less than 16 times per-orbit, then the vessel is assumed to be always in sunlight, but with 70% intensity.

But what you describe seem like my fix is not working as expected. Can you provide more details: on what body and at what altitude your vessel is when the problem manifest, what are the ec consumers/producers on the vessel in question, and how many vessels you have in total?

This happens to a station in a circular 100km orbit around Kerbin and a base near the Munar pole, but far enough away from the true pole that it spends about 8 hours in the dark per rotation.  I have another Minmus base right at the pole which is fine. EC is consumed by a research lab and life support (scrubber+climatizer) and generated by several 1x6 non-retractable panels and a few more 2x4 fixed panels. There are about 20 total vessels in the save.

Come to think of it, it's more complicated than EC not being generated in the dark, since when I switch to the vessel there is actually EC left. So maybe background resources and stock resource displays go out of sync or it's just an issue with tripping out-of-EC/burning events erroneously. Weird that it's burning since LKO/Munar temperatures are lower than Kerbin's, no?