ShotgunNinja

[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

Recommended Posts

Final Frontier has a little quirk with Kerbalism where the data size in megabytes is what sets off the science ribbons and not the actual science data gained. Noticed this when I sent up Jeb for 30 days to finish a contract. Easy Research VII or something without actually getting 1000 science. I'm posting this in both threads so you guys can collaborate on a fix or something. Both mods are pretty essential to me. haha

Edited by ValynEritai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2017 at 4:54 PM, pslytely psycho said:

I can't launch as the space bar no longer stages

Very unlikely to be caused by this mod.

 

On 1/4/2017 at 5:47 PM, Drew Kerman said:

I could have sworn this was already a thing that was linked between the mod's part failure system and its space radiation system

In the past I did influence malfunction rates by radiation. However that was hard to plan around so it was dropped. Also in some private builds I did experiment with a mechanic for probes called 'safemode', that disabled them for some random time after enough radiation was accumulated by the probe (similar to how radiation work for kerbals). That turned out to be not fun enough, so that was dropped too.

 

2 hours ago, ValynEritai said:

Final Frontier has a little quirk with Kerbalism where the data size in megabytes is what sets off the science ribbons and not the actual science data gained. Noticed this when I sent up Jeb for 30 days to finish a contract. Easy Research VII or something without actually getting 1000 science

A lot of mods assume experiments DataScale to be 1.0. That was okay for some stock experiments (but not all of them), so the problem is in how Final Frontier and other such mods forget to consider DataScale when evaluating the science credits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

A lot of mods assume experiments DataScale to be 1.0. That was okay for some stock experiments (but not all of them), so the problem is in how Final Frontier and other such mods forget to consider DataScale when evaluating the science credits.

1

Understood mate. I'll relay this over to Nereid and hopefully something gets done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

In the past I did influence malfunction rates by radiation. However that was hard to plan around so it was dropped

Ahhh yes, I recall this now. If you're interested in revisiting this mechanic at some point I do have thoughts on how to implement it so it's not so much of a random thing

Edited by Drew Kerman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to say what a great mod this is but I have only one problem with it so far and it has been a game killer.  I can produce the bug as many times as needed.  The problem occurs when using this mod along with the TAC.

If TAC is installed without the Kerbalism mod then i do not have the problem.  The problem is with the mono-propellant and the kerbals on EVA.  When using the Kerbalism mod i can not go on eva without a warning message telling me that the kerbal can not let go of the ladder because he has no EVA fuel available.  I check the resources of the kerbal and see the mono-propellant tank is empty.   If i load the save game again with the folder kerbalism removed from the gamedata folder i can now have mono-propellant and everything works fine.

I'm guessing that this means that somehow it has been removed or do i need to pack it seperatly if using your mod.  Please help as i need the eva fuel to perform a rescue mission.

 

Thank you 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ShotgunNinja, Oh yes, I'm very much aware that your mod is not causing this. I only mentioned the symptom in case you or someone else had ever run across it. Monday when I have time to play around with it to figure out what is conflicting it is going to take quite a bit of time. I was just hoping there was something known to be incompatible that would cause this issue when Kerbalism was installed.

You know, trying the lazy way first as I am a totally irresponsible mod user.....:cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys. Please ignore if this is a stupid question? I used to use remote tech but are now trying Kerbalism. I have a satellite around mun with a relay (dish)...I just landed a probe on mun with a relay on mun and the moment I disconnect the rover that does not have a relay I loose connection and control of the rover although the rover have a comunetron 16 on that is active. I noticed the same with multiple satellites in orbit around mun that as soon as it loose sight with kerbin... there is no signal and none of the other satellites with relays relay the signal to the sat out of sight of kerbin. So my conclusion is either im misunderstanding something or my kerbalism is not working correctly...Can either be something with the mod itself or possibly a conflict with another mod (I do not have any other comm mods loaded)...any help will be appreciated. thx

sDRVs1g.png

J3JoRtU.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pslytely psycho I through about your issue, maybe an exception is thrown when you stage. Reproduce the issue, close KSP and send me the file KSP.log (is in your KSP forlder).

 

@William516 Question: are you using RealFuels?

 

@Mynhardt Kitshoff High-gain antennas (the dishes) can only communicate back with Kerbin/Earth. Communications between vessels happen using Low-gain antennas (the whips).

Also on the low-gains you need to esplicitly enable 'relay' in the part ui, to allow that antenna to receive data from other vessels (eg: on your relay vessel communotron).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

 

@Mynhardt Kitshoff High-gain antennas (the dishes) can only communicate back with Kerbin/Earth. Communications between vessels happen using Low-gain antennas (the whips).

Thanks for responding so quickly...sorry I am still unsure what you mean...are the whips/ low gain antenna's like the comunotron-16S? because in the description i can see it says it is a low-gain antenna...but as shown in the pictures added that I have one of those on my vessel and still there is no connection between the satellites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mynhardt Kitshoff said:

Thanks for responding so quickly...sorry I am still unsure what you mean...are the whips/ low gain antenna's like the comunotron-16S? because in the description i can see it says it is a low-gain antenna...but as shown in the pictures added that I have one of those on my vessel and still there is no connection between the satellites.

Dont worry...I got it. didn't know that I had to switch the relay to yes. thx for the mod

Edited by Mynhardt Kitshoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not using Real fuel with this mod.  Currently can reproduce the error when simply loading TAC.  I do not have any problems and all the kerbals have the mono-propellant available.  The second that I run the Kerbalism mod even with the TAC profile that was just released I will no longer have the available mono-propellant and get the warning message described above.  This is using the same exact save and simply deleting the and re-installing the mod folder.

Someone mentioned about changing the save game file but im not sure where to edit that file to make the changes needed for the mono-propellant resource.  I'm glad that I'm not the only person having this issue and thanks for taking the time to respond to me.

 

Bill 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

lot of mods assume experiments DataScale to be 1.0. That was okay for some stock experiments (but not all of them), so the problem is in how Final Frontier and other such mods forget to consider DataScale when evaluating the science credits.

I do not think this is the case here. The  OnScienceRecieved callback gets very different values if kerbalism is installed and they do not look correct for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found a issue with the new system. Food, Water,... at EVA makes the kerbal so heavy that it sinks at sea. Worse, it geht crushed at ~-160m. I solved the problem by adding Bounce to the kerbals and it works. @ShotgunNinja May be you can adept the solution to whole Kerbalism. I changed @profiles\default.cfg following entry:

Quote

// ============================================================================
// Add scrubber process to EVA kerbals
// ============================================================================
@PART[kerbalEVA,kerbalEVAfemale]:NEEDS[ProfileDefault]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = ProcessController
    resource = _Scrubber
    title = Scrubber
    capacity = 0.5
    toggle = true
    running = true
  }
}

To

Quote

// ============================================================================
// Add scrubber process to EVA kerbals
// ============================================================================
@PART[kerbalEVA,kerbalEVAfemale]:NEEDS[ProfileDefault]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = ProcessController
    resource = _Scrubber
    title = Scrubber
    capacity = 0.5
    toggle = true
    running = true
  }
      MODULE
    {
        name = FSbuoyancy
        waterImpactTolerance = 180
        dragInWater = 1.5
        buoyancyForce = 12.0
        buoyancyRange =0.5
        splashFXEnabled = False
    }
}

This prevent Kerbals from sinking with extra weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anyway to increase the distance antennas can transmit. I'm using the outer planet mod and it doesn't seem possible to get a signal at all if you are very far past Jool even with the best antennas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is just me or the isru are all the same? I'm mean, they providing all the same thing.. I took a picture but i don't know how to upload it, uh.
Also, how to produce fuel now? How the love it is working?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I'm using AutomatedScienceSampler and Kerbalism seems to have a problem with it. Since I installed Kerbalism I don't seems to be able to select the recipient where to transfer and store data (in pods and such) the only option I'm left with is "Disabled" and the science just sit in the experiments parts without being transfer. I think that come from the fact that AutomatedScienceSampler don't recognise the pods to be a recipient for data storing as Kerbalism have modified them.. I don't really know.

3u4lyaK.png

Could you please help me ? AutomatedScienceSampler is truly a great mod and making it work with Kerbalism would be so neat !

Thanks a lot for you time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@William516 Ok I'll see what's going on.

 

 

@basedBronson Yes write the following in a file with .cfg extension, and put it anywhere inside GameData folder:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Antenna]]:FINAL
{
  @MODULE[Antenna]
  {
    @dist *= 10.0 // change the multiplier to fit your solar system
  }
}

In next version I will include it for the supported planet packs.

 

@Shield88 To upload an image use the 'insert other media' button on the bottom right of the post editor. Chemical plants and crustal/atmospheric harvesters need to be configured in the VAB (right click on the part, then click on 'configure' button).

 

@Nago If you enable Science in Kerbalism, I replace all stock science containers with my own system. So any mod that look for ModuleScienceContainer doesn't find any of them. That bein said, my module implement IScienceDataContainer. So mods that look for IScienceDataContainer instead will work.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nereid Until now when firing OnScienceReceived I was assuming the first parameter is data size (in Mb). But now I double checked and stock is passing the science credits instead... ooops my bad. Will pass science credits as first parameter in next version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not shouting or yelling OMG GET DIS DUN OMG DIS IZ DA BEZT DING EVOR, but any plans on compatibility with CKAN? just wondering, not yelling get it done, its just a minor thing, if I need to I'll just download it the normal way.

liking the new update by the way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@William516 I installed Kerbalism and TAC, tried to go on EVA: all good and normal, monoprop is here.

screenshot0.png

So at this point we can exclude that TAC is somewhat involved. Can you tell me what other mods are you using?

 

@StupidAndy It is already on CKAN...

Untitled.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok i can confirm that I just did a fresh install of the game version 1.2.2 and I found the same results.  Loading just TAC and Kerbalism results in the mono-propellant resource being there and available.  As for how many mods are currently installed.  Too many to list so I will have to go through them one by one unless someone knows an easier way to see what files would affect the files that both these mods use.  The funny thing was that when the Kerbalism mod was not installed TAC worked fine.  The second it was added I got the problem that I had brought up.  Anyone have any ideas or will this mean starting all over once again lol.

I have never used the CKAN is it easier to work with mods then installing and uninstalling them manually?  I never tried this mod or installer.

 

Thanks again and sorry to jump the gun and say that it was your mod at fault.  Any help on resolving this problem would be a great help from anyone.  

 

Thanks 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to bring up ghosts from the past, but I've had a few issues with EC recently that have resulted in Kerbals burning up or freezing to death.

The first one: I have a station in 200 km circular orbit with a lab, greenhouse, and 4 gigantor arrays (and other stuff but those are the big EC elements). Occasionally (maybe 30% of the time) when I go to 10000x or higher warp the station's EC drops to 0, life support off, Kerbals dead. It appears that if the station it happens when the station is in shadow at the start of a warp but I'm not completely sure about this.

The second one: I did a Mun mission today with a command module and lander. After landing I got the lander into low orbit (6000m Pe) to set up rendezvous. I switched to the command module (in higher orbit but still 6000m Pe) so that I could warp faster and soon after I sped things up to 1000x the lander EC dropped to zero, Kerbals dead. At first I figured that I hadn't aligned it's panel's properly so I reloaded, double checked, tried again. Same result. Switching tactics, I moved the lander into a higher orbit and kept it as the active vessel during time warp. Now, the command module's EC drops to 0, Kerbals dead. At this point I decided to do some investigation and get some screenshots. After playing around a bit, it seems that Kerbalism is considering the vessels to be in shadow at times when they are clearly not. If the vessel is active this doesn't seem to matter; I was still gaining EC from the panels despite the shadow icon in Kerbalism. But I'm guessing this is what was causing the problem when the vessel is not active. Screenshots link below so you can see for yourself.

http://imgur.com/a/xw7Zz

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, bpilgrim said:

I hate to bring up ghosts from the past, but I've had a few issues with EC recently that have resulted in Kerbals burning up or freezing to death.

The first one: I have a station in 200 km circular orbit with a lab, greenhouse, and 4 gigantor arrays (and other stuff but those are the big EC elements). Occasionally (maybe 30% of the time) when I go to 10000x or higher warp the station's EC drops to 0, life support off, Kerbals dead. It appears that if the station it happens when the station is in shadow at the start of a warp but I'm not completely sure about this.

The second one: I did a Mun mission today with a command module and lander. After landing I got the lander into low orbit (6000m Pe) to set up rendezvous. I switched to the command module (in higher orbit but still 6000m Pe) so that I could warp faster and soon after I sped things up to 1000x the lander EC dropped to zero, Kerbals dead. At first I figured that I hadn't aligned it's panel's properly so I reloaded, double checked, tried again. Same result. Switching tactics, I moved the lander into a higher orbit and kept it as the active vessel during time warp. Now, the command module's EC drops to 0, Kerbals dead. At this point I decided to do some investigation and get some screenshots. After playing around a bit, it seems that Kerbalism is considering the vessels to be in shadow at times when they are clearly not. If the vessel is active this doesn't seem to matter; I was still gaining EC from the panels despite the shadow icon in Kerbalism. But I'm guessing this is what was causing the problem when the vessel is not active. Screenshots link below so you can see for yourself.

http://imgur.com/a/xw7Zz

 

 

This would explain why my probe just randomly ran out of power despite having backups and production maxed out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a lot for your answer, your time and all of your work on this amazing mod

Edited by Nago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.