[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

For some reason Kerbalism does not seem to be simulating EC generation from NFE reactors. I have a ship in orbit around Kerbin with a Kerbopower generator running at max and as soon as I jump away from the ship it is as if the reactor shuts down. Is anyone else getting this behavior?

Edit: It seems to be an issue with Kerbal Alarm Clock's "jump to ship" functionality, and loading one of the automatic backups from KAC has restored functionality.

Edited by klugeh01

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Daniel Prates I appreciate the feedback and brainstorming. I have no time for an articulate answer, but in short: I tried everything you mention, either conceptually or practically, and there was always some reason to not implement it / discard it. In future I may change how it work

@ShotgunNinja to be frank, with time I actually got to like the nitrogen system as it is, specially after finding out about the possibility of tweaking the leak rate.

The planning helper in the VAB/SPH however do need an extra gauge to show how much time the vessel has with a formed armosphere, similar to what it already does with other resources!

Edited by Daniel Prates

Hi everybody

I like very much Kerbalism and I recently switched to it from MKS/USI. Unfortunately I noticed the Nitrogen is a very critical resource because it's required for survivability of crew but isn't produced in any way.

After some digging in the Internet I found this article: "Regolith & Environment Science, and Oxygen & Lunar Volatile Extraction(RESOLVE) for Robotic Lunar Polar Lander Mission" (see http://sci2.esa.int/Conferences/ILC2005/Manuscripts/SandersG-01-DOC.pdf) and decided to configure Kerbalism to add some things:

• Reverse Haber process (Ammonia => N + H2)
  • Regolith volatile extraction of CO2 (Ore => CarbonDioxide)
  • Regolith volatile extraction of NH3 (Ore => Ammonia)
  • Regolith volatile extraction of CH4 (Ore => tiny amount of LiquidFuel)

Here is the link for the profile I created (starting from Default.cfg of Kerbalism 1.2.0) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2f-19m8NGrcTGdOWTUzdWxBQVU

Please remember:

1. Place "Resolve.cfg" in "GameData\Kerbalism\Profiles"
  2. The new profile must be activated changing line 3 of "GameData\Kerbalism\Settings.cfg" from "Profile = default" to "Profile = resolve"
  3. You must re-activate and update the new profile every time you install a new version of Kerbalism (check the link above just in case I already did the update in my profile)

9 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@schrema Thank you so much for both the US patch and the 24h profile.

It should use 24h days if that is set in the game config. Isn't that working?

@ShotgunNinja You are welcome! I checked my game conf and it is set to 24h days. But I haven't expressed myself clearly. The hours are shown right, but especially in RSS the Kerbal year is used. One year is not 365 days, it is 426 days.

Edited by schrema

1 hour ago, AstroPawian said:

For me with this mod not work network eny more

Open ..\GameData\Kerbalism\Settings.cfg

Change "Signal = true" to "Signal = false"

Reliability = true                  // component malfunctions and critical failures
  Signal = false                       // communications using low-gain and high-gain antennas
  Science = true                      // science data storage, transmission and analysis
  SpaceWeather = true                 // coronal mass ejections
  Automation = true                   // control vessel components using scripts

Hope this can help you!

Edited by flack

How would I go about putting together a profile to use with Sigma Dimensions rescale factor of 6.4? My main concerns are signal distance (as all distances will be 6.4x larger than in stock KSP) and anything time-related (as larger distances translate to much longer transit times). Additionally, I am not sure, but there might be issues with the magnetospheres, if their sizes are hardcoded and not based on the planet's size.

Also, one thing I noticed without the rescale: On a Mac, with Intel integrated graphics, the magnetospheres/radiation belts do not render until you are quite far out (Kerbin's outer radiation belt, by the time it becomes visible in map view, covers about a fifth or so of the width of my 1280x800 screen).

1 hour ago, flack said:

Open ..\GameData\Kerbalism\Settings.cfg

Change "Signal = true" to "Signal = false"

Reliability = true                  // component malfunctions and critical failures
  Signal = false                       // communications using low-gain and high-gain antennas
  Science = true                      // science data storage, transmission and analysis
  SpaceWeather = true                 // coronal mass ejections
  Automation = true                   // control vessel components using scripts

Hope this can help you!

Thx is work

16 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Hey! Thanks. the stock lab is supported in planner/background. However, it doesn't work with the HardDrive. That's why I had to implement my own. The only way to get back to the stock lab is to disable Science, setting Science=false in settings.

A cool feature could be to either have the lab transform the experiment in another one (e.g.: "Material bay in orbit around the Mun" > "Analyzed material bay in orbit around the Mun") or have it continuously generate a small amount of science while it is analyzing an experiment. The second option could be farmed for unlimited science, but if the rate is low enough or each experiment can only be used once per lab, similar to how the stock game operates, that would not materially affect gameplay, especially since keeping Kerbals alive in orbit is by itself a challenge already :D.

Anyways just a suggestion to make labs around the Mun/Minmus more useful. Right now it seems like they are more useful for one-way or very long duration missions.

Hey i'm working on a patch for near future so reactors can have radiation, and was wondering if anyone knew how to have the rad dependent on the heat or throttle of a part. I see that it doesn't work with the nuclear engine in the config so i'm guessing no, unless i'm just missing something.

having a weird issue with spent stages accelerating down after I stage. I "think" it might be kerbalism, but since I installed it with a RO/RSS for 1.2.2, it might be a bunch of stuff...anyone seen this bug before?

Edit: NVM, without Kerbalism stages still accelerate down, once I am in space. 

Edited by ragusila

21 hours ago, diomedea said:

Hi, had the same issue after updating Kerbalism to 1.1.9, the post below gives the rationale of the issue:

Unfortunately only newly built vessels have parts set with the new values. Already existing vessels are not updated, scrubbers and pressure control still were set to a value = 1 with all parts. To salvage my ongoing game, I had to manually edit all parts in the savegame to match the "5/3 x crew capacity" value.

21 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Daniel Prates I appreciate the feedback and brainstorming. I have no time for an articulate answer, but in short: I tried everything you mention, either conceptually or practically, and there was always some reason to not implement it / discard it. In future I may change how it work

@schrema Thank you so much for both the US patch and the 24h profile.

It should use 24h days if that is set in the game config. Isn't that working?

@DavidHunter I am interested, PM me.

@podbaydoor I agree, let's try 80% reduction in next release.

That would be impossible to implement with the current incarnation of Reliability. If it ever get rewritten, I'll totally consider this.

Can you provide me: the log file (KSP/KSP.log), the savegame (KSP/savegame/{yoursavename}/persistent.sfs), anything else you think is useful.

Sorry, that is due to me changing how much a '_Scrubber' unit is worth in terms of 'scrubbing power'. Vessels saved in the VAB in versions prior to 1.1.9 will have the wrong amount. Reconfiguring fix it to the right amount.

Ahhh ok, thanks for explaining and glad it was a deliberate issue and not something that you'll need to fix. :wink:

And it certainly makes sense. I don't want my SpaceX Interplanetary Transport Spaceship (with 100 Kerbals) to only have support for four Kerbals... :)

The monitor window no longer seems to accurately handle water supplies. It shows how long the current supply of water would last with no recycling, regardless of whether or not the recycler(s) are running. Note: the recyclers still work, the monitor just isn't calculating the duration properly. The planner in the VAB performs the calculation properly.

Edit: it alternates between the expected duration and 'perpetual' depending on whether or not the recycler is running, due to waste water being generated all at once. My best guess is that when there is no waste water, the recycler doesn't run; then when the waste water is generated, the recycler starts running and the projection changes to 'perpetual' because water is being generated but not consumed.

Edited by klugeh01

I've been searching the wiki and this thread for a while but can't seem to find an answer. How do I set a part to have a set amount of a resource? I want to use BDB's Apollo parts with a food, air, and water supply for 14 days for the CSM and 3 days for the LM, but when I try and tweak it with Module Manager, it gives me more resources than I wanted. What am I doing wrong?

// ============================================================================
// 14 Day Apollo & Gemini Supplies. 3 Day LM Supplies

@PART[bluedog_Apollo_Block2_Capsule]:NEEDS[Bluedog_DB,FeatureHabitat]:AFTER[Kerbalism]
{
	!RESOURCE[Food] {}
	!RESOURCE[Water] {}
	!RESOURCE[Oxygen] {}	

RESOURCE
	  {
		name = Food
		amount = 264.6
		maxAmount = 264.6
	  }

RESOURCE
	  {
		name = Water
		amount = 100.8
		maxAmount = 100.8
	  }

RESOURCE
	  {
		name = Oxygen
		amount = 25019.4
		maxAmount = 25019.4
	  }

}

1 minute ago, Daelkyr said:

I've been searching the wiki and this thread for a while but can't seem to find an answer. How do I set a part to have a set amount of a resource? I want to use BDB's Apollo parts with a food, air, and water supply for 14 days for the CSM and 3 days for the LM, but when I try and tweak it with Module Manager, it gives me more resources than I wanted. What am I doing wrong?

// 14 Day Apollo & Gemini Supplies. 3 Day LM Supplies

@PART[bluedog_Apollo_Block2_Capsule]:NEEDS[Bluedog_DB,FeatureHabitat]:AFTER[Kerbalism]
{
	!RESOURCE[Food] {}
	!RESOURCE[Water] {}
	!RESOURCE[Oxygen] {}	

RESOURCE
	  {
		name = Food
		amount = 264.6
		maxAmount = 264.6
	  }

RESOURCE
	  {
		name = Water
		amount = 100.8
		maxAmount = 100.8
	  }

RESOURCE
	  {
		name = Oxygen
		amount = 25019.4
		maxAmount = 25019.4
	  }

}

I'm not sure about the values for the food and water, but the amount of oxygen is multiplied by the volume of the container.

10 minutes ago, klugeh01 said:

I'm not sure about the values for the food and water, but the amount of oxygen is multiplied by the volume of the container.

So, to get the amount I'm shooting for, of need to set each value to reach the final number after being multiplied by the capsule volume?

That's a little perplexing. Each crewed part from BDB ends up with 5 days of supplies (oxygen, food, and water) for the max number of seats on board. Where is that getting computed?

Edited by Daelkyr

Ah, turns out there's a separate set of rules that determines resource supplies in pods. It's explained in the wiki under Rule Framework -> Supply. Alternatively, I think you can set the amounts on a per-capsule basis by adding entries in a profile, but I'm not sure on the syntax or structure required.

9 hours ago, AstroPawian said:

which is responsible for getting rid of CO2 ?? CarbonDioxide ??

The scrubber module lowers the co2 content in your vessel, and I believe if you have storage for carbon dioxide the co2 gets stored there (as carbon dioxide)

Edited by klugeh01

How does the overall shielding combine to determine the radiation damage inflicted on Kerbals? Do 4 fully shielded hitchhiker cans provide more radiation protection than 1 fully shielded hitchhiker can? Do adding extra crewed compartments without shielding increase, decrease or not change the shielding? The critical question is: If there is only one fully-shielded module on an otherwise unshielded ship, does undocking that module during the storm increase or decrease radiation for the kerbals inside it?

Edited by blakemw