[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

12 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

@baldamundo For station building you can get Nertea Stockalike Station Parts Expansion.

Note that MKS+USI-LS are incompatible for a good reason. The two mods are doing the same things with different goals : Kerbalism is aimed at providing a somewhat realistic (and hard) set of rules for life support, ISRU and self-sustainability while MKS+USI-LS is offering a "Kerbalized", relatively easy and unrealistic but complex self-sustainability system.

What could eventually happen is a MM patch that alter MKS/USI-LS parts by removing USI specific modules to replace them with kerbalism modules. A small plugin could take care of hiding the MKS/USI-LS GUI. But as far as I know, nobody has tried that.

I have a few ideas up my sleeve for USI-FTT,Core,Kontainers and the reactors but I'm waiting until the new changes that ShotgunNinja proposed come into effect. I've wrote the code I needed to import profiles and put up an issue on GitHub but it can wait for better things :cool:

Just starting with this mod, I have some questions:

I see in the Support folder there is a cfg for AtomicAge, is AtomicAge still supported, and if so do you need something like this https://github.com/deimos790/PorkWorks_Continued  included in a 1.2.2 install?

When I play in stock KSP I usually reduce science returns to about 50%, but it seems like Kerbalism has fewer opportunities to get science- is it balanced at 100% or is that still pretty easy?

Is the electrical system different? I had a craft that was from top down a small antenna, stayputnik, Science jr with 2 small batteries radially attached, decoupler, and a thumper. It ran out of EC at about the peak of the launch even though the batteries had a ton of charge left (it was a pretty hot launch though :)  ).

Thanks! Cool Mod!

Edit: also a feature request, a science part that could discover the radiation fields of planets would be neat.

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

@karst45 Old/new ships should behave the same in that regard. I'm going to need more information on your issue, please see the FAQ #3 in the OP.

Then i suppose ill go aways. 

currently have: Contract Packs Spitfire KIS KAS KAX kerbal enginners waypointmanager and Kerbincontructs.

if you know those dont cause interference with your mod then ill try to provide more information on what happened. otherwise well... ill try to investigate on my side what cause that issue

Edited by karst45

4 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I see in the Support folder there is a cfg for AtomicAge, is AtomicAge still supported, and if so do you need something like this https://github.com/deimos790/PorkWorks_Continued  included in a 1.2.2 install?

It is still supported, in the sense that parts with names 'NuclearJetEngine', 'nuclearEngineKANDL' and 'nuclearEngineLightbulb' will emit some radiation.

When I play in stock KSP I usually reduce science returns to about 50%, but it seems like Kerbalism has fewer opportunities to get science- is it balanced at 100% or is that still pretty easy?

I use the default 60% of the 'hard' difficulty, with OrbitalScience for more variation and less grind.

Is the electrical system different? I had a craft that was from top down a small antenna, stayputnik, Science jr with 2 small batteries radially attached, decoupler, and a thumper. It ran out of EC at about the peak of the launch even though the batteries had a ton of charge left (it was a pretty hot launch though :)  ).

There are more ways to consume EC, but all of them are related to manned vessels. If you saw two different EC levels reported by the UI of this mod, and the part UI of the batteries, then you may have found a bug. I will need you to send to me the KSP.log file, the list of mods you are using and a savegame where the issue can be reproduced.

also a feature request, a science part that could discover the radiation fields of planets would be neat.

I agree. Like if a 'theoretical model' had to be 'researched' before the fields are shown. Maybe feeded not by 'science points' but simply by 'radiation data'. That would be really interesting.

2 hours ago, karst45 said:

Then i suppose ill go aways. 
currently have: Contract Packs Spitfire KIS KAS KAX kerbal enginners waypointmanager and Kerbincontructs.
if you know those dont cause interference with your mod then ill try to provide more information on what happened. otherwise well... ill try to investigate on my side what cause that issue

It seem you have less than 100 mods installed, so please don't go away. Instead send me the KSP.log file and a savegame where the issue can be reproduced. None of the mod you mention should be related to this, but you never know.

54 minutes ago, baldamundo said:

If you aren't using the Kerbalism signal system (e.g. using Remotetech instead), is there anything you can do to speed up data transmission? Add more antennae?

Unfortunately no, the data transfer rate is hard-coded when using RT, and doesn't take into consideration the individual antennas. I'm only taking the connected/not-connected state using its API, that unfortunately doesn't expose the data transfer rate. I'll revisit the situation when RT is updated.

New version released: 1.2.6

- improved Bluedog support patch (@ModZero)
  - SSTU support patch (@Maxzhao1999)
  - reduced monoprop fuel cell rates, adapt to required EC  
  - fix: planner not considering solar panels after last update
  - fix: exception in Configure module for crafts that never entered VAB  
  - fix: duplicate extend/retract in some supported antennas

I need a little advice how to keep Kerbals protected from radiation on long missions (e.g. Duna). I have a ship with a hitchhiker container with the maximum shielding, and all my 4 Kerbals are spending their time in that HH container unless I need them elsewhere (which does not happen much on the interplanetary transfer to Duna). The other crewed parts have no shielding (but the Kerbals aren't in it). 

They just died (all 4 of them) due to radiation as they were approaching Duna. They've been hit by one solar storm, and nothing else. 

Do I have to put heavy shielding on all parts, even if the Kerbals aren't in it? 

Spoiler: pictures of the ship:

Spoiler

Kerbals are not doing so well.

yUw3kTm.jpg

Showing the shielding on the HH container (all Kerbals are dead by now):

SVpj4I2.jpg

Edited by Magzimum

1 hour ago, Magzimum said:

I need a little advice how to keep Kerbals protected from radiation on long missions (e.g. Duna). I have a ship with a hitchhiker container with the maximum shielding, and all my 4 Kerbals are spending their time in that HH container unless I need them elsewhere (which does not happen much on the interplanetary transfer to Duna). The other crewed parts have no shielding (but the Kerbals aren't in it). 

They just died (all 4 of them) due to radiation as they were approaching Duna. They've been hit by one solar storm, and nothing else. 

Do I have to put heavy shielding on all parts, even if the Kerbals aren't in it? 

Spoiler: pictures of the ship:

Reveal hidden contents

Kerbals are not doing so well.

yUw3kTm.jpg

Showing the shielding on the HH container (all Kerbals are dead by now):

SVpj4I2.jpg

Shielding effectiveness is averaged over all habitable parts that have habitat switched on.  If you want to save them from CME storms then turn off habitability in all other parts whilst they are in the shielded hitchhiker.

You will lose the benefits of having lots of space though and you'll lose atmosphere when reenabling the habitat when you arrive at Duna.

Peace.

On 18/4/2017 at 6:43 PM, Mikki said:

Hi @ShotgunNinja

I`ve got the hang on your utterly awesome mod the last few weeks, and i just wanted to tell you that it works great after the last update. I implemented your mod in my careergame with all parts researched and had a hellagood time to figure out how it all works, it is basically how KSP would be in PERFECT.

I have just a few mods installed, KER, Nerteas NFT, KerbalAtomics, KIS/ KAS, Tweakscale and such, and i see no conflicts with resources here. The only thing is incoherent counting for the nuclear power generators from NFT while very high focused timewarp (i need them to cool Lh2 cryo tanks), but this is totally neglibigle ermm negligible. :)

I have a large experimental Station (concept for four Kerbal interplanetary transfer habitat department), and i have currently two Kerbals on it for about half a year now and it is just awesome. I just fixed a reactionwheel. "A kick made the trick." :D They could live independently for at least 3-4 years there. :cool:

A pic for your glory! Cheers! Thank you for this amazing work!

7O69761.png

Pic after launch from KSC, just started two of four greenhouses and the scrubbers, testing other stuff. 
KsphWkM.png

I feel a little bit stupid: how do you rejoined the two hulls at the rear of the ship? I thought it was not possible in KSP

On 15/4/2017 at 1:30 PM, Gotmachine said:

@Andrea Galimberti I'm really guessing here, but you can try to remove the RESOURCE_DEFINITION node for Waste in GameData\Kerbalism\System\Resources.cfg then delete the GameData\ModuleManager.ConfigCache file and see what happen (backup your save before doing this).

Thank you for your support, but it turned out that the waste compressor is correctly working. It's just SLOOOOOOW.

So this may have been previously mentioned/discussed (I may have missed it) - but I've noticed an issue with the way power is manged in the background. For instance, I was using an SSTU command pod (with exposed solar panels build into the pod) with an active fuel cell attached (also running), yet when I focused on a bit of debris away from the craft I started getting messages about that very craft running out of power and hitting critical states; And when focusing back in on that craft, I then have power for days on end.

Is this an issue with the power system only recognizing "extended solar panels" or something along those lines? (excuse my lack on knowledge on the subject, as I literally know nothing about what actually takes place behind the scenes).

Thanks in advance!

OzzyInSpace

Edited by SpaceX

11 hours ago, Andrea Galimberti said:

I feel a little bit stupid: how do you rejoined the two hulls at the rear of the ship? I thought it was not possible in KSP...

@Andrea Galimberti, hi there, here the explanation:

The ship is a fork, the gap is on the left side in the front between the viewing cupola and a slanted nosecone which is attached to the MK1 passenger cabin. Its connected with two struts there.
The habitat is connected to the left part of the fork on the mentioned left side.
It looks like a loop but it isn`t in fact, the command pod in front is part of the right side of the fork.
All masses are distributed evenly though. :)
Imagine the rootpart as the rear dockingport, start from there, reassign the rootpart then to somewhere else, the dockingport in front for example, very easy.

Edited by Mikki
Typo:D

5 hours ago, Iso-Polaris said:

Is this a right config file to *10 the MTBF time of all part?

@PART[*]:HAS[FeatureReliability]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  MODULE
  {
    mtbf = *=10
  }
}

I am also interested in this - I am running GPP at 10.6257x so I need both RTGs and the MTBFs extended so that I can get to the Gas Giants before having everything break down. 

Also, would it be possible to have critical failures repairable, just by a higher-level engineer? (Level 1 could fix yellow failures, Level 3 red failures for example). Since there is no way to have spare parts (just whole duplicate components) things can get a bit out of hand on longer crewed missions. 

On 4/27/2017 at 10:00 PM, ShotgunNinja said:

It seem you have less than 100 mods installed, so please don't go away. Instead send me the KSP.log file and a savegame where the issue can be reproduced. None of the mod you mention should be related to this, but you never know.

I kind of cheated my way out of it, if the situation ever do happen again (ill try the same design) then ill take notes and will send you the desired information.

12 hours ago, Iso-Polaris said:

Is this a right config file to *10 the MTBF time of all part?

not quite this is better IMO:

@PART[*]:FINAL
{
  %MODULE[Reliability]
  {
    @mtbf *= 10
  }
}

In this case it should only modify the Reliability module if it is actually present, and you can use this to handle any other global part changes as well, all in one swoop.

You don't really have to use NEEDS or FOR if you're just using this for yourself. If you really want others to be able to use it, then NEEDS is the proper check to make as it will not run if Kerbalism is not present (but then this would be its own single-use patch). FOR is really only used with patches the mod itself distributes, as it will obviously have the mod installed. The FINAL statement makes sure your patch runs at the end so if anything else changes the value of mtbf you'll always have 10x that number

I have a couple of @PART[*] patches myself that I should probably condense into a single patch...

Edited by Drew Kerman

Any news on the Laboratory changes that were being discussed?  I just spent some time tweaking my stock SpaceLab design to add lifesupport and habitation, than realized I have no reason to launch it...

@lordcirth Try this. It add two new experiments to the lab: Soldiering in Reduced Gravity (SRG) and Miniature X-ray Solar Spectrometer (MXSS). One require an engineer and the other one a scientist. Both can only collect data in Space, over a long period of time (they can run on unloaded vessels). You can transmit partial data and get partial science points (you can even 'stream' the data as it is being collected).

Note that the Experiment module is still raw, and there are no filters for the custom situations in the science archives UI yet.

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleScienceLab]]:NEEDS[FeatureScience]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = Experiment
    experiment = SolderingInReducedGravity
    situations = Space
    data_rate = 0.001
    ec_rate = 0.25
    crew = Engineer
  }

MODULE
  {
    name = Experiment
    experiment = MiniatureXraySolarSpectrometer
    situations = Space
    data_rate = 0.001
    ec_rate = 0.25
    crew = Scientist
  }
}

EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
{
  id = SolderingInReducedGravity
  title = SRG
  baseValue = 64
  scienceCap = 64
  dataScale = 512

requireAtmosphere = False
  situationMask = 0
  biomeMask = 0
}

EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
{
  id = MiniatureXraySolarSpectrometer
  title = MXSS
  baseValue = 64
  scienceCap = 64
  dataScale = 512

situationMask = 0
  biomeMask = 0
}

Edited by ShotgunNinja

4 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@lordcirth Try this. It add two new experiments to the lab: Soldiering in Reduced Gravity (SRG) and Miniature X-ray Solar Spectrometer (MXSS). One require an engineer and the other one a scientist. Both can only collect data in Space, over a long period of time (they can run on unloaded vessels). You can transmit partial data and get partial science points (you can even 'stream' the data as it is being collected).

Note that the Experiment module is still raw, and there are no filters for the custom situations in the science archives UI yet.

Hide contents

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleScienceLab]]:NEEDS[FeatureScience]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = Experiment
    experiment = SolderingInReducedGravity
    situations = Space
    data_rate = 0.001
    ec_rate = 0.25
    crew = Engineer
  }

MODULE
  {
    name = Experiment
    experiment = MiniatureXraySolarSpectrometer
    situations = Space
    data_rate = 0.001
    ec_rate = 0.25
    crew = Scientist
  }
}

EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
{
  id = SolderingInReducedGravity
  title = SRG
  baseValue = 64
  scienceCap = 64
  dataScale = 512

situationMask = 0
  biomeMask = 0
}

EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
{
  id = MiniatureXraySolarSpectrometer
  title = MXSS
  baseValue = 64
  scienceCap = 64
  dataScale = 512

situationMask = 0
  biomeMask = 0
}

Do these show up as modules in slots like ECLSS? Also do I just put this in a new file in Gamedata or do I append it to some file?

If I read the experiment correctly, they give 64 Science each?  Is that multiplied by the location multiplier?

Edited by lordcirth

@lordcirth That's just something quick and dirty to make your lab more useful for now, so they are just present on all labs. But the plan is to have a dozen or more experiments that can be selected in VAB, or installed in flight afterward (like the ISS). Science credits are multiplied by body, location and difficulty modifiers. Put the content inside a (new or existing) .cfg file in GameData folder.

Would it be possible to tie a few experiments into the greenhouse as well? Things like zero-G hydroponics, soil utilization studies (for when on a planet) - they would require a lab on the same vessel (or docked to it at least) but would give purpose to space stations involving both.

The gravity ring could also be useful in this respect - something like variable gravity experimentation.