ShotgunNinja

[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

Can you post a screen of your issue? In VAB or flight? For me the UI works flawlessly.

It happens, or rather doesn't happen, both in flight and in the KSC screen. I right click on a ship's name in the Monitor and nothing happens. If I left click I get notification settings like the manual says I should. The planner works fine in the VAB

I'd be happy to post a screenshot, but it'd be a screenshot of nothing, so... :P

I run 64bit on Windows, and I've tried it with no other mods. The detailed vessel info just never shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no screen with the right click on a vessel in Kerbalism. In the editor you can see everything about the ship you're building and in flight you can check the status of all your ship. What window are you looking for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great mod this is. Lacks it water and waste management systems. Adding them plans are there, are they not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the point of adding water except for adding unnecessary management of a resource which does exactly the same as the food resource does?

So many people keep asking for water to be added but I don't understand it because it doesn't add anything to the gameplay experience at all.

@ShotgunNinja is better off just renaming Food to Consumables so people stop asking for water to be added.

Also do not forget one of the big ideas behind this mod is the fact it doesn't require micromanagement like TACLS required, which is also one of the reasons why I didn't like TACLS because it was just too much stuff to worry about and IMO that wasn't a lot of fun.

Edited by pip12345

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nansuchao said:

There is no screen with the right click on a vessel in Kerbalism. In the editor you can see everything about the ship you're building and in flight you can check the status of all your ship. What window are you looking for?

Referring to :

https://github.com/ShotgunNinja/Kerbalism/wiki/Monitor

Towards the end is a Vessel Info Viewer which is accessed by right clicking the vessel name in the monitor, only it doesn't work in 1.1 (x64), it seems that the right click isn't applied to the window and passes through.  This is not the VAB one, its for vessels in flight.

Edited by Flashheart
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon ShotgunNinja I really like the look of kerbalism. I would like to know is your mod compatible with USI Kolonization or the other USI mods by Roverdude?

Many  thanks :-)

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mr falcor said:

Good afternoon ShotgunNinja I really like the look of kerbalism. I would like to know is your mod compatible with USI Kolonization or the other USI mods by Roverdude?

Many  thanks :-)

 

Currently no.  Kerbalism is going to have issues with any mod that utilizes the community resource pack (CRP)

Edited by goldenpsp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pip12345 said:

What's the point of adding water except for adding unnecessary management of a resource which does exactly the same as the food resource does?

So many people keep asking for water to be added but I don't understand it because it doesn't add anything to the gameplay experience at all.

@ShotgunNinja is better off just renaming Food to Consumables so people stop asking for water to be added.

Also do not forget one of the big ideas behind this mod is the fact it doesn't require micromanagement like TACLS required, which is also one of the reasons why I didn't like TACLS because it was just too much stuff to worry about and IMO that wasn't a lot of fun.

Because water can be used for more than just food. There are other mods that use water to made hydrogen and oxygen for other uses. Making this mod compatible with the Community Resource Mod is key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kiro said:

Because water can be used for more than just food. There are other mods that use water to made hydrogen and oxygen for other uses. Making this mod compatible with the Community Resource Mod is key.

Not exactly correct.  In order to be compatible with CRP does not mean that Kerbalism has to adopt ALL of the CRP resources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, goldenpsp said:

Not exactly correct.  In order to be compatible with CRP does not mean that Kerbalism has to adopt ALL of the CRP resources.

That's true and I wasn't inferring that it should. I was making two separate cases but my wording didn't make that clear.

How are the compatibilities with other part pack mods? Such as antennas or other ship part mods. Do we have to edit a bunch of CFGs to make them work together or is there a MM script that will make parts work out of the box?

 

 

Edited by Kiro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flashheart said:

Referring to :

https://github.com/ShotgunNinja/Kerbalism/wiki/Monitor

Towards the end is a Vessel Info Viewer which is accessed by right clicking the vessel name in the monitor, only it doesn't work in 1.1 (x64), it seems that the right click isn't applied to the window and passes through.  This is not the VAB one, its for vessels in flight.

Ok, I understood what you're talking about. Did you try with the left-click? For me it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pip12345 said:

What's the point of adding water except for adding unnecessary management of a resource which does exactly the same as the food resource does?

So many people keep asking for water to be added but I don't understand it because it doesn't add anything to the gameplay experience at all.

@ShotgunNinja is better off just renaming Food to Consumables so people stop asking for water to be added.

Also do not forget one of the big ideas behind this mod is the fact it doesn't require micromanagement like TACLS required, which is also one of the reasons why I didn't like TACLS because it was just too much stuff to worry about and IMO that wasn't a lot of fun.

If I wanted it simple I'd use Snacks! We do distinguish EC/Food/Oxygen here, don't we? Also shielding, and even quality of life. But water? No-no! Come on, we grow food in greenhouses and we don't use water? Oookay.

Also, I would agree with the above, but there's another aspect that is omitted - waste management. And remember, we have a choice - to make things simpler for us or more difficult. Simpler would be not to use any life support mod and be perfectly content with stock model where Kerbals can stay in space indefinitely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cicatrix said:

If I wanted it simple I'd use Snacks! We do distinguish EC/Food/Oxygen here, don't we? Also shielding, and even quality of life. But water? No-no! Come on, we grow food in greenhouses and we don't use water? Oookay.

Also, I would agree with the above, but there's another aspect that is omitted - waste management. And remember, we have a choice - to make things simpler for us or more difficult. Simpler would be not to use any life support mod and be perfectly content with stock model where Kerbals can stay in space indefinitely.

EC, food, oxygen, radiation, quality of life etc. all fulfill their own unique purpose in the mod, each designed to interact with each other in a meaningful way. Each resource in this mod has its own purpose and @ShotgunNinja has made a perfect balance between complexity and fun by avoiding unnecessary complexity and micromanagement. Water pretty much fulfills the exact same role as food does and adding it would require another resource to be managed for each ship but it does not add any meaningful new features to the mod.

In the end water doesn't add anything the food resource can't already do and adding unnecessary resources simply increases the irritation factor of having to think about even more stuff before launching.

What's so hard about seeing the "food" resource simply as "food and water"?

Honestly, if @ShotgunNinja starts adding tons of extra resources which don't really benefit the mod any meaningful way it will destroy what I love about this mod: a complex but not bothersome expansion to the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cicatrix said:

If I wanted it simple I'd use Snacks! We do distinguish EC/Food/Oxygen here, don't we? Also shielding, and even quality of life. But water? No-no! Come on, we grow food in greenhouses and we don't use water? Oookay.

Also, I would agree with the above, but there's another aspect that is omitted - waste management. And remember, we have a choice - to make things simpler for us or more difficult. Simpler would be not to use any life support mod and be perfectly content with stock model where Kerbals can stay in space indefinitely.

Just because some complexity is good doesn't mean more is better. Complexity is a spectrum, and ShotgunNinja has carefully positioned Kerbalism at a moderate level, which will appeal to a broad base of players who want something between Snacks! and TAC-LS.

Edited by Fraz86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pip12345 said:

What's so hard about seeing the "food" resource simply as "food and water"?

Because greenhouses also should consume water (and CO2 preferably + produce some oxygen). Because you have to take more weight making it more difficult for you.

Edited by cicatrix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rhedd That vessel info window is coming in the next version, I did update the wiki meanwhile. Sorry for the confusion.

 

@cicatrix, @Box of Stardust There is a new 0.6125m food container coming in new version, that should give you more option in early game.

 

@Aristaeus Contributions are welcome :)

 

@White Owl I'm thinking of adding a ScopeMultiplier value to Antenna module, so you can tweak some antennas better (eg: double 'near': just set the multiplier to 2). What you think? I could also just add a new scope in the middle between 'near' or 'far'.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cicatrix said:

Because greenhouses also should consume water (and CO2 preferably + produce some oxygen). Because you have to take more weight making it more difficult for you.

You're correct but is the amount of extra burden you will put on the player just for that extra bit of realism in the greenhouses worth it? And will it actually be fun?

In my opinion the sacrifice of fun over realism is too big here.

 

Edited by pip12345

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys I'm going to introduce a generic LifeSupport module in a couple versions. That way you can add new consumed resources by just writing an MM patch. It will look something like this:

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0]]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = LifeSupport
    resource_name = Water
    waste_name = WasteWater
    consumption_rate = 0.00001 // consumed per-second per-kerbal
    waste_rate = 1.0 // proportion of some kind of waste resource generated, if any
    breathable = false // set to true to make consumption only happen outside breathable atmosphere
    background = true // set to false to do not have consumption happen in background
    // ...
    // other stuff to specify how to kill kerbals and when to send warnings
    // ...
  }
}

 

Edited by ShotgunNinja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Guys I'm going to introduce a generic LifeSupport module in a couple versions. That way you can add new consumed resources by just writing an MM patch. It will look something like this:

 

Praise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great Mod. I already love it. I just have this issue with duplicate Kerbals when I do an EVA and the Monitor is breaking too.

Hope this gets fixed soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ShotgunNinja

So there ya go. By no means should this be considered a config file. Precisely why I suggest you keep it as *.txt. If anyone using ETT DOES actually use this as a config, I've managed to make ETT fit with kerbalism defaults, and pushed the first scrubber tech elsewhere. Wrong. It's just plain wrong, but at least its a start.

Also, I might have managed to tick off Probus on the ETT thread with a couple of dumb questions. Hopefully, he ignores that and chimes in on where the scrubber efficiency should go. I think the reply I got from him mentioned a newer ETT may not need MM patches. I've no idea what that means.

'z_EngineeringTechTree.txt':

// ===========================================================================
// Adjust general parts to better match ETT
// ===========================================================================

// Greenhouse
@PART[Greenhouse]:NEEDS[zETT]:AFTER[Kerbalism]
{
  @TechRequired = hydroponics
}


// ===========================================================================
// Rearrange early experiments to better match ETT [WIP]
// ===========================================================================

@PART[sensorThermometer]:NEEDS[zETT]:FINAL
{
  @TechRequired = start
}

@PART[sensorBarometer]:NEEDS[zETT]:FINAL
{
  @TechRequired = engineering101
  @cost = 1000
}

@PART[GooExperiment]:NEEDS[zETT]:FINAL
{
  @TechRequired = basicScience
  @entryCost = 1500
}

@PART[science_module]:NEEDS[zETT]:FINAL
{
  @TechRequired = spaceExploration
}

@PART[Large_Crewed_Lab]:NEEDS[zETT]:FINAL
{
  @TechRequired = scienceTech
}


// ===========================================================================
// Adjust SCRUBBER EFFICIENCY to better match ETT [WIP]
// ===========================================================================

// In ETT miniaturization -> Micro Rocketry .625
//        scienceTech     -> Invention (WIP?)

@ScrubberEfficiency:NEEDS[zETT]:FINAL
{
  @tech0 = advExploration
  @tech1 = precisionEngineering
  @tech2 = scienceTech
  @tech3 = experimentalScience
}

// |-- ===========================================================================
// |-- Restore ETT description strings and/or just append/delete
// |-- "[Improve scrubber efficiency]" ???
// |-- ===========================================================================

@TechTree:NEEDS[zETT]:FINAL
{
  @RDNode:HAS[#id[miniaturization]]
  {
    @description = These aren't your standard hobby miniature models. We've been assured they look good enough to actually fly.
  }
  @RDNode:HAS[#id[advExploration]]
  {
    @description = They are Self-Deploying Astronaut Mobility Enhancement Devices, I don't know what you mean by "ladders". [Improve scrubber efficiency]
  }

// ------------------

//  @RDNode:HAS[#id[miniaturization]]
//  {
//    @description = These aren't your standard hobby miniature models. We've been assured they look good enough to actually fly. BUBBA_1
//  }
//  @RDNode:HAS[#id[advExploration]]
//  {
//    @description = They are Self-Deploying Astronaut Mobility Enhancement Devices, I don't know what you mean by "ladders". [Improve scrubber efficiency]
//  }

// -----------------
// And so on....

}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, White Owl said:

I'm putting together a MM config to add antennae from AIES and Origami mods....

It's like you read my mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked on Alternate Resource Panel and it looks like it might get its full 1.1 update soon enough... I've got some resource icons just for kerbalism in case anyone might want them. Namely, the shielding icon. Got tired of the text only read out pretty quick. Basically, all I did was take the Icons already supplied and put a small "K" in front of it. Maybe SN could create a 'Misc' directory and files like this could be included. Just a thought:

|--Misc

|--KSPAlternateResourcePanel

     |--Icons-Player

         |--Shielding.png

Something like that?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Kab00mBaby said:

Great Mod. I already love it. I just have this issue with duplicate Kerbals when I do an EVA and the Monitor is breaking too.

Hope this gets fixed soon.

It's KerbalKrashSystem if you have it installed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh. My. Goodness.

I'm currently burned out in KSP but when this updates to 1.1... you can bet I'll jump on it as soon as I can.

I thought there was gonna be a long list of "X code was taken from Y mod" at the end of the OP but no, you did it all yourself! Absolutely stunning work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.