ShotgunNinja

[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

Recommended Posts

On 6/13/2017 at 1:24 AM, The-Doctor said:

IDEA! Great idea! So like, astronauts can't do EVA during CSME or they die right, but like, that's why we would use robotic arms and stuff. You could add in a patch that enables robotic parts from infernal robotics to do repairs like an engineer, that way, if there is a problem during a CSME, it can be fixed

There is a set of API functions that was added a while back, when a forum user (forgot the name, sorry) was working on adding repair functionality to some kind of robotic arm. I don't know how that ended up. Anyway, I like the idea and maybe I'll add a dedicated module to do unmanned repairs.
 

On 6/14/2017 at 4:03 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

It would be wise of Ninja to adopt CRP's Machinery or SpareParts resources instead of inventing Hardware

My objective is to somewhat reproduce 'on the field hacks' such as dismantling a scrubber from a vessel to install it in another vessel (think Apollo 13), or even doing more crazy stuff in order to survive (think The Martian). I can't allow to produce Hardware in-situ (or use a resource that I don't have total control of, and that may be produced in-situ for what I know), or else this mechanic cease to be a 'last resort' choice for the player.
 

On 6/20/2017 at 2:19 AM, lordcirth said:

Here is the log when switching to the vessel, then to Space Center:

https://gist.github.com/lordcirth/e96184e011e044ea8f35b40293e95a51

I see something called 'DynamicBatteryStorage' in your log. Maybe that's interacting with the background simulation in some weird way.

To clarify, the cost of data transmission is the same for loaded and unloaded vessels.
 

4 hours ago, BlackwingDave said:

Hi, I have just built a base, but if I focus on another ship is running the electricity within a few times and my team is close to death, 
when I then again my base clicks I have electricity again for 100 years. To Kerbalism, I use the way, Interstallar extendend.

Hi. Unfortunately, things that produce electricity in Interstellar (reactors, etc) are not emulated when the vessel has no focus. So when you focus on another ship, your base effectively behave like it had none of the parts from Interstellar. I'm sorry about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ShotgunNinja wait so hardware won't be something you can make by mining? Well I won't mind it too much if it's like you described. A thing for hardware is, you could make it be that the ship loses structural integrity and life support if you remove structural and/or life support parts to add to others. Well i got no idea how hardware will work, it seems a bit confusing. Hope you go through with the unmanned repair idea, it'd really make it like in real life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The-Doctor Essentially, there are these 'components', that are the things you can install in pods, chemical plants, etcetera. Each one has a 'value' in Hardware units, deduced by mass or specified in the component specs. You can dismantle a 'component' and get half of its value in Hardware units. You then spend this resource to install new components when you are in flight. So, let's make a practical example to explain the meaning of this. Assume something goes wrong with your crewed mission, and you organize a rescue but it takes time. Time that wasn't planned in your mission, and they have not enough Oxygen to last until rescue arrive. You realize that if only you brought a Water Electrolysis unit you could make up some Oxygen, from the remaining Water and the plenty of solar power you got. But hey, you did bring Bob the engineer. Now you can dismantle a few secondary components and use the resulting Hardware to install a Water Electrolysis unit and survive until rescue. Hope that this clarify it a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait wait wait, so if I don't have a water electrolysis unit and I use hardware I can make it? So if I don't have a solar panel and I use hardware I can make one? Sounds like a limited Extraplanetary launch pads tbh if that's what you mean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The-Doctor You don't make whole parts. You only make 'components' inside already existing parts that can host components, like the ones you configure in the VAB. So, it is a glorified 'reconfigure while in flight' mechanic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ShotgunNinja Ahhh. You insist on freedom of control over a resource's spec. I get it. It makes total sense with Hardware, and I do like the idea for its basis. Recycle parts, get hardware points, spend them to reconfigure something. Maybe this would work even better with a concept for stem-like "useless at first" parts capable of basically "everything" (so that, say, when tuning the water processor to make an oxygen processor you don't lose the water one completely?) but with the time-wear mechanic, most KISM users should already have an abundance of redundant parts aboard a ship waiting to be re-purposed.

@The-Doctor Not Extraplanetary Launchpads in any way. This is akin to MKS, in which, there already are parts with swappable modules and a cost to the swapping. This is mostly in drills and resource converters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi gays! Please answer a few questions.

1. If the operation is supported fashion along with USI MKS/OKS? Or Extraplanetary launchpads?

2. is there support for TAC LS? Can I use them together disabling in Kerbalism functions duplicating TAC LS, respectively, to produce food, water, oxygen means TAC LS. I have heard that does not support already Kerbalism joint work with TAC LS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp, I got hit by the good ol' bug of "didn't RTFM". I was wondering where the whole Commnet thing was (haven't played since about 1.0.5...ish?) and all that. Finally discovered it was being overridden by me installing default Kerbalism. Whoops.

 

Discovered this when I put a RA-2 dish on a satellite to give me coverage on the far side of Mun (thinking it would relay) and instead it decides to not.

Edited by Niccolo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I may have found a bug, I am pretty sure logs are not necessary as this occurs on every game consistently, The cockpits instead of having a weight of 0.2 tones have a weight of 12 tonnes, is this normal?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this is with firespitter and SXT pits.

EDIT 2: Switching to default fixed it, but that should be looked at, maybe have the option to have unpressurized  options for all cockpits?

Edited by HorizonFulcrum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@The-Doctor Essentially, there are these 'components', that are the things you can install in pods, chemical plants, etcetera. Each one has a 'value' in Hardware units, deduced by mass or specified in the component specs. You can dismantle a 'component' and get half of its value in Hardware units. You then spend this resource to install new components when you are in flight. So, let's make a practical example to explain the meaning of this. Assume something goes wrong with your crewed mission, and you organize a rescue but it takes time. Time that wasn't planned in your mission, and they have not enough Oxygen to last until rescue arrive. You realize that if only you brought a Water Electrolysis unit you could make up some Oxygen, from the remaining Water and the plenty of solar power you got. But hey, you did bring Bob the engineer. Now you can dismantle a few secondary components and use the resulting Hardware to install a Water Electrolysis unit and survive until rescue. Hope that this clarify it a bit.

This is probably planned, but nevertheless, I would ask that such a thing would be configurable in the profile file. It is a nice thing to try, but honestly, I don't think this is something I'd want to play with permanently.

Also, while I remember... There was a plan to make "sensor" science take time rather than be instantaneous. Is that still being implemented? If so, would it be possible to configure it so that a certain portion (20% maybe?) of the science is gathered immediately, while the rest takes time to be collected? This would make sounding rockets less useful than orbital ones, but it would still make sense to launch them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/06/2017 at 8:28 PM, nickicool said:

Hi gays! Please answer a few questions.

1. If the operation is supported fashion along with USI MKS/OKS? Or Extraplanetary launchpads?

2. is there support for TAC LS? Can I use them together disabling in Kerbalism functions duplicating TAC LS, respectively, to produce food, water, oxygen means TAC LS. I have heard that does not support already Kerbalism joint work with TAC LS

1. I don't know, maybe.

2. I am pretty sure TAC LS is, it should do it automatically (did it for me).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2017 at 6:28 AM, nickicool said:

Hi gays! Please answer a few questions.

1. If the operation is supported fashion along with USI MKS/OKS? Or Extraplanetary launchpads?

2. is there support for TAC LS? Can I use them together disabling in Kerbalism functions duplicating TAC LS, respectively, to produce food, water, oxygen means TAC LS. I have heard that does not support already Kerbalism joint work with TAC LS

Please do not attempt to use Kerbalism with MKS or with TAC LS. Go ahead and try using Extraplanetary Launchpads.

MKS has functions similar to Kerbalism and requires game featurs which are disabled by Kerbalism. TAC LS may share resources with Kerbalism but the resource definitions and resource consumptions are different between them and that means more trouble. Some players have announced problems between TAC LS and Kerbalism.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/06/2017 at 8:28 PM, nickicool said:

Hi gays! Please answer a few questions.

1. If the operation is supported fashion along with USI MKS/OKS? Or Extraplanetary launchpads?

2. is there support for TAC LS? Can I use them together disabling in Kerbalism functions duplicating TAC LS, respectively, to produce food, water, oxygen means TAC LS. I have heard that does not support already Kerbalism joint work with TAC LS

 

23 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Please do not attempt to use Kerbalism with MKS or with TAC LS. Go ahead and try using Extraplanetary Launchpads.

MKS has functions similar to Kerbalism and requires game featurs which are disabled by Kerbalism. TAC LS may share resources with Kerbalism but the resource definitions and resource consumptions are different between them and that means more trouble. Some players have announced problems between TAC LS and Kerbalism.

Never mind my post, I used an older version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how to disable the resource coherency checking? I am trying to mine water on Duna using an unmanned lander, and the drill doesn't work when the vessel is unloaded. When the vessel is loaded and I try to do high speed warp I get the warning about EC acting incoherently (because I'm using a nuclear reactor I'm guessing), and it won't let me warp faster than 1000x. No Kerbals' lives are at risk here so I would like to disable it and let it do it's incoherent thing.

I see in the changelog for 1.2.7 that it is possible to disable this checking, but I didn't see the option in the Settings file. Did I just miss it, or is there some other way it has to be done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kerbalism appears to 'not play well' with @Angel-125's Wild Blue Industries mods. It's overriding a lot of lab functions. Is anyone working on a patch to co-ordinate with WBI?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ShotgunNinja, I'm having a strange issue with Kerbalism. Every time I'm launching my favorite SSTO (named SoSTenutO) from runway (launching through KCT), I started getting numerous malfunctions right after the vessel loads - every time, it's random. It never happened before. I didn't install any additional mods lately. Here is my save file and log. I'm running KSP with 58 mods, but the only non-stock part this vessel has is a Mechjeb controller. I tried renaming the craft before launching in case Kerbalism has some issue with the name, but it didn't help. I really have no idea what's causing this.

Any idea what's causing this?

EDIT: I tried launching other crafts from runway.... They also get a ton of malfunctions right away. But it doesn't happen when I'm launching from Launchpad. 

Edited by aluc24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using Kerbalism with Signal and Science systems deactivated for some time but now I've decided to give them another shot. They seem much better so far! :)

I'm facing a problem, though: what changes should I make to CommNet Relays Contract Pack to make it compatible to Kerbalism?

Edited by jlcarneiro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question here: I'm having some real frustrations bringing along enough power storage to keep even a small station powered during orbital night. The current (fairly small) thing I'm working with is sucking down juice at around 8 per second, even with everything turned off. It's nothing fancy, just 4 smallish crew capsules. According to AmpYear, which I thought worked with Kerbalism, it should be pulling less than 1. But AY also doesn't recognize the solar panels. Anyways, I've looked thru the wiki, not finding what I need. Is there some base power requirement for command pods that's not turn-off-able? Is there anything I can tweak in the profile or an MM config to just make it less? 21,000 EC for an 8 ton station just to make it thru the night seems a bit ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Quick question here: I'm having some real frustrations bringing along enough power storage to keep even a small station powered during orbital night. The current (fairly small) thing I'm working with is sucking down juice at around 8 per second, even with everything turned off. It's nothing fancy, just 4 smallish crew capsules. According to AmpYear, which I thought worked with Kerbalism, it should be pulling less than 1. But AY also doesn't recognize the solar panels. Anyways, I've looked thru the wiki, not finding what I need. Is there some base power requirement for command pods that's not turn-off-able? Is there anything I can tweak in the profile or an MM config to just make it less? 21,000 EC for an 8 ton station just to make it thru the night seems a bit ridiculous. 

Look at the Kerbalism planner's EC analysis.  It will tell you exactly what's using what.  As for pods, scrubbers do use EC, but it's like 0.02/s or so.  There's also cooling/heating which varies by situation but it's not really high.

EDIT:  If all else fails, Fuel Cells work really well in Kerbalism.  A small one with lots of hydrogen could power you through many nights.

Edited by lordcirth
Fuel cells

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening-  is there a "manual" for this mod?  I have installed it, and love it, but there is so much more than I can wrap my head around.  I see numerous resources with no obvious use, and "shielding" which sounds vital but I don't understand how to implement.  The front page of this thread "thumbnails" a lot, but I have failed to come across the specifics on functionality.  I am following @CatastrophicFailure's Duna attempt just to learn where she fails, for it is my intent to do the same in a few months.  :)

(thanks for making mistakes for me Cat!)

If this is plainly stated somewhere and I have just missed it for inattentiveness, I'm sorry.  I'll just hope for someone to point my nose in the right direction...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Whoops, think you've got me mixed up with @Mikki'a own thread. :D

doh.

You know, I have failed so many ways today...  

 

I knew that, but yours was the last thing I read.  Brain, bad.

Edited by GarrisonChisholm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.