[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

After reading the wiki and playing around I have come to the conclusion that we cannot make liquid fuel under this mod without access to an atmosphere; or a massive amount of kerbals breathing after eating a huge amount of food. Is this right?

I don't like this very much as I have a truly massive asteroid in Kerbin orbit which having satisfied the contract is now quite useless. Pretty much anywhere you can get an atmosphere (in game) you can also get ore, making asteroids quite redundant. I also don't think this reflects reality very well:

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Asteroids_Structure_and_composition_of_asteroids

Sure, it isn't feasible to simulate the different types of asteroid, but maybe for the next update there can be a percentage of carbon in asteroids?? It would be great to harvest asteroids with the LN-N, land them on minmus and after some chemical recombination have free orbital fuel forever :D

BTW despite the gripe I love this mod. It has added something to KSP which I haven't felt for a couple of years: challenge! Thanks for taking the time to make it.

I having some issues with absurd nitrogen consumption, or at least, different from the planner. My craft is a cupola with a lab and in the planner, it should last 170 days on duna, but it will drain in 5 hours. I can see some different values in the savegame, compared to similar vehicles, but can;t figure out how the consumption rate is calculated. I've dig through the code, but it is not quite straight forward.

Any pointers where I should be looking for? There is probably some mod colliding with Kerbalism.

Edited by MacLuky

9 minutes ago, MacLuky said:

I having some issues with absurd nitrogen consumption, or at least, different from the planner. My craft is a cupola with a lab and in the planner, it should last 170 days on duna, but it will drain in 5 hours. I can see some different values in the savegame, compared to similar vehicles, but can;t figure out how the consumption rate is calculated. I've dig through the code, but it is not quite straight forward.

Any pointers where I should be looking for? There is probably some mod colliding with Kerbalism.

Are you using any modded crew cabins/pods, particularly ones that change volume like inflatables?  Someone else here had that happen.

Not on this vessel, but I ran a comparison between the same craft at the launchpad and found the values for atmosphere different.  The Duna craft had been drained because someone let the habitat enabled. The crew that finally arrived brought new nitrogen which re-enabled the habitat and replenished the reserves.

However not it would be drained much quicker. Apparently keeping something pressurized is less expensive than restoring the atmosphere from 2.19 to 19 something.

I have a coronal mass ejection heading for my Mun base. They can't hide in the magnetosphere of Kerbin, but they might be able to hop to the night side and take their pick between a lander which runs out of charge or radiation in the sun. I might be able to time it right but the question is: does it matter? aka does Kerbalism coronal mass ejection take the mun night into account?

Judging by the source code, I guess it's using the rule system, but i can't quite pinpoint how the distance and angle to the sun would be taken into account. Apart from the yes/no answer, I'd be very interested in "how does this work". The code is nice, but puzzling.

Update, found it:

// if there is a storm in progress
    if (Storm.InProgress(v))
    {
      // inside a magnetopause (except heliosphere), blackout the signal
      // outside, add storm radiations modulated by sun visibility
      if (inside_pause) blackout = true;
      else radiation += Settings.StormRadiation * sunlight;
    }

And sunlight is defined as:

// determine if in sunlight, calculate sun direction and distance
    sunlight = Sim.RaytraceBody(v, position, FlightGlobals.Bodies[0], out sun_dir, out sun_dist) ? 1.0 : 0.0;

Which means, it should be pitch black and I am safe. Back to the planning board for a munar hop!

Edited by MacLuky

I'm using Kerbalism with 1.3.1.1891 and recently I have stumbled at a new issue:

[EXC 15:13:15.606] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KERBALISM.Background.ProcessAsteroidDrill (.Vessel v, .ProtoPartSnapshot p, .ProtoPartModuleSnapshot m, .ModuleAsteroidDrill asteroid_drill, KERBALISM.vessel_resources resources, Double elapsed_s)
    KERBALISM.Background.update (.Vessel v, KERBALISM.vessel_info vi, KERBALISM.VesselData vd, KERBALISM.vessel_resources resources, Double elapsed_s)
    KERBALISM.Kerbalism.FixedUpdate ()

Constantly 10 times per second.

Anyone noticed such a problem before?

I do have Drills enabled on one of the Probes which is incidentally clawed to an Asteroid.

Cleaning Ore containers does not help.

Stopping Asteroid Harvesting helps.

When the Craft is Online, exceptions are not thrown.

Edited by Arivald Ha'gel
Additional Info

Could anyone say how to fix the treadmill inside the hitchhiker? I've got the message that there's critical failure on my station, but i can't see the option in pop-up window (I've tried to do it with 1 level engineer, can only inspect ECLSS)

7 hours ago, Lazzy said:

Could anyone say how to fix the treadmill inside the hitchhiker? I've got the message that there's critical failure on my station, but i can't see the option in pop-up window (I've tried to do it with 1 level engineer, can only inspect ECLSS)

You may need to have a higher level engineer.

Peace.

I've noticed a glitch trying to do Rescue missions. Every time I get to a kerbal, it shows that they are alive, but immediatly then tells me all their resources are dead, and that they are dead. I do this in record time, using mechjeb, yet the kerbals are always dead, no matter what. Have a ship waiting in orbit to rescue as I select a contract that just appeared, kerbal already dead, another huge loss in money and rep. Nothing I do works. Uh, is there a fix, or will every kerbal I see die and never be recoverable? Nearly lost this entire career pre-Mun (No antennas I have can reach a level 2 tracking station from past 5 million meters, even if I have 16 double-atennaed commutrons)

Edited by DayF3

17 hours ago, Lazzy said:

Critical failures, which are less common than normal failures (25% ?) cannot be fixed.  That's why you need redundant life support.  Hopefully you can do without a treadmill.

I don't know it it's something I did, but there's something wrong with the support configs - so says Module manager. Basically, I keep getting the "more than one pass specifier on a node" error on a lot of the support files.

Spoiler

Output Log sampling

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Kerbalism/Support/ContractConfigurator/@CONTRACT_TYPE[*]:FOR[Kerbalism]:FINAL

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[ModuleManager] Error - pass specifier detected on an insert node (not a patch): Kerbalism/Support/EPL/EL_ResourceRecipe:FOR[Kerbalism]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Kerbalism/Support/JX2Antenna/@PART[jx2LDA]:FOR[Kerbalism]:AFTER[JX2Antenna]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Kerbalism/Support/OrbitalScience/@PART[dmSIGINT]:FOR[Kerbalism]:AFTER[DMagicOrbitalScience]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Kerbalism/Support/OrbitalScience/@PART[dmSIGINT.End]:FOR[Kerbalism]:AFTER[DMagicOrbitalScience]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Kerbalism/Support/OrbitalScience/@PART[dmSIGINT.Small]:FOR[Kerbalism]:AFTER[DMagicOrbitalScience]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Kerbalism/Support/OrbitalScience/@PART[dmSoilMoisture]:FOR[Kerbalism]:AFTER[DMagicOrbitalScience]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Kerbalism/Support/SoundingRockets/@PART[SR_Nosecone_*]:FOR[Kerbalism]:AFTER[USISoundingRockets]

log's TL:DR;  [ModuleManager] ModuleManager: 36586 patches applied, found <color=orange>12 errors</color>
1 error related to GameData/Kerbalism/Support/ContractConfigurator.cfg
1 error related to GameData/Kerbalism/Support/EPL.cfg
1 error related to GameData/Kerbalism/Support/JX2Antenna.cfg
4 errors related to GameData/Kerbalism/Support/OrbitalScience.cfg
1 error related to GameData/Kerbalism/Support/SoundingRockets.cfg
(4 unrelated errors)

I also put in a list of my mods below. Like, if there's some sort of obvious conflict, let me know about it, but...

Spoiler

Mod list

...I'm also spoiling it cause it's almost embarrassingly expansive. I know I'm gonna get at least one lecture about being more picky with my mods, but if MM is only giving me 12 errors out of 36k patches, something's going right.

KSP: 1.3.1 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
000_AT_Utils - 1.5
Filter Extensions - 3.2.0.2
Filter Extensions - 3.2
Toolbar - 1.7.15
USI Tools - 0.10.1
USI Tools - 0.9.2
Community Category Kit - 2.0.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.7.1
CSIFreighter - 0.2.4
Ablative-Airbrake - 0.3
Advanced Jet Engine - 2.9
Arch_Aerospace - 0.1
B9 Part Switch - 2.1
CactEye Telescopes - 1.3.1.14
Community Category Kit - 2.0.2
Community Resource Pack - 0.8
CommunityTechTree - 3.2.1
Community Trait Icons - 0.1.2
Connected Living Space - 1.2.5.3
Contract Configurator - 1.23.3
Contract Reward Modifier - 1.0.2.5
CSIFreighter - 0.3.1
Crew Portraits - 1.3.1
CryoEngines - 0.5.11
CryoTanks - 0.4.9
DSCore - 1.0.1
Airline Kuisine - 1.6.1
ThorTech - 0.8.6.1
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.10
CapCom Mission Control On The Go - 1.0.2.7
Contract Parser - 1.0.7
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.8.1
Progress Parser - 1.0.8
Dynamic Deflection - 1.2.4
DynamicBatteryStorage - 1.2
Easy Vessel Switch - 1.5.6471.31118
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.3.16
EVA Transfer - 1.0.7.1
EVA Struts - 1.0.4.1
Extraplanetary Launchpads - 5.9
Firespitter - 7.6
FlagRotate - 1.1.5
Flexible Docking - 1.0.5
FMRS (Flight Manager For Reusable Stages) - 1.2.6
FShangarExtender - 3.5.2
FTLDriveContinued - 0.1.10
GroundConstruction - 1.2.1
Hangar - 3.3.3
HeatControl - 0.4.4
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes - 1.0.1
Impact - 1.6.2.2
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.10.3
JanitorsCloset - 0.3.3
RasterPropMonitor - 0.29.3
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6.3
Kerbin Environmental Institute - 1.2.3
KerbalAtomics - 0.4.11
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.3
Kerbal Foundries - 2.1.2.11
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.3.3
KerbNet Controller - 1.0.3.1
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.7.6468.41490
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
KSPWheel - 0.10.5.21
Kurrikane - 1.1.0.1
Infernal Robots - 2.0.13
Infernal Robotics Sequencer - 1.0.3
ZZZRadioTelescope - 1.0.2
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.7
NearFutureConstruction - 0.8.4
NearFutureElectrical - 0.9.8
NearFutureLaunchVehicles - 1.1.3
NearFutureProps - 0.2.1
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.9.5
NearFutureSolar - 0.8.8
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.7.5
NE Kerbal Environmental Effects Study (KEES) - 0.7.8.21
PatchManager - 0.0.11
PhysicsRangeExtender - 1.5
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.5.8
Portrait Stats - 1.0.15.1
Precise Node - 1.2.6
RCS Build Aid - 0.9.4
Recovery Controller - 0.0.3
AmpYear - 1.5.1
DeepFreeze Continued... - 0.23.7
ResearchBodies - 1.9.5
RKE Joystick - 0.11
RoverScience - 2.3.3
SCANsat - 1.1.8.2
Science Relay - 1.0.4.2
PicoPort - 0.1.3
Show All Fuels Continued - 1.3.1
SmartParts - 1.9.8
SolverEngines - 3.4
Soundtrack Editor - 4.4
RecycledParts - 0.1.4.3
StageRecovery - 1.7.2
StationPartsExpansion - 0.5.2
Store My Reports - 1.1
StreamlineEnginesTanks - 1.1
Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights for Self-Illumination - 1.6.6484.37549
ThrottleControlledAvionics - 3.5
Trajectories - 1.7.1
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.8.5
Transfer Window Planner - 1.6.2
TweakScale - 2.3.7
USI Core - 0.5
Asteroid Recycling Tech - 0.11
USI Exploration Pack - 0.9
Freight Transport Tech - 0.8
Karbonite - 0.10
Konstruction - 0.3
Malemute Rover - 0.4
MKS - 0.53
NuclearRockets - 0.5
Sounding Rockets - 0.7
Universal Storage - 1.3.0.1
EVAParachutesAndEjectionSeats - 0.1.15
VesselViewerContinued - 0.8.6
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.16.6
WildBlueTools - 1.39.1
Kerbal Actuators - 1.0.6.1
Buffalo - 2.3.3
Deep Space Exploration Vessels - 3.0.0.3
Airships - 2.9.1
Kerbal KIS Items - 2.1.3
Kerbal Komets - 0.5
Mark One Laboratory Extensions - 1.10.1
Pathfinder - 1.19
[x] Science! - 5.11

note to self: when you try to put an output log in a spoiler, it crashes the page :D

so I'm just gonna post the output log in a new post. I know this is annoying, I'm sorry, but my computer is not letting me put everything up at once :/

54 minutes ago, sc0rch said:

I don't know it it's something I did, but there's something wrong with the support configs - so says Module manager. Basically, I keep getting the "more than one pass specifier on a node" error on a lot of the support files.

Reveal hidden contents

Output Log sampling

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Kerbalism/Support/ContractConfigurator/@CONTRACT_TYPE[*]:FOR[Kerbalism]:FINAL

[ModuleManager] Error - pass specifier detected on an insert node (not a patch): Kerbalism/Support/EPL/EL_ResourceRecipe:FOR[Kerbalism]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Kerbalism/Support/JX2Antenna/@PART[jx2LDA]:FOR[Kerbalism]:AFTER[JX2Antenna]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Kerbalism/Support/OrbitalScience/@PART[dmSIGINT]:FOR[Kerbalism]:AFTER[DMagicOrbitalScience]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Kerbalism/Support/OrbitalScience/@PART[dmSIGINT.End]:FOR[Kerbalism]:AFTER[DMagicOrbitalScience]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Kerbalism/Support/OrbitalScience/@PART[dmSIGINT.Small]:FOR[Kerbalism]:AFTER[DMagicOrbitalScience]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Kerbalism/Support/OrbitalScience/@PART[dmSoilMoisture]:FOR[Kerbalism]:AFTER[DMagicOrbitalScience]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Kerbalism/Support/SoundingRockets/@PART[SR_Nosecone_*]:FOR[Kerbalism]:AFTER[USISoundingRockets]

log's TL:DR;  [ModuleManager] ModuleManager: 36586 patches applied, found <color=orange>12 errors</color>
1 error related to GameData/Kerbalism/Support/ContractConfigurator.cfg
1 error related to GameData/Kerbalism/Support/EPL.cfg
1 error related to GameData/Kerbalism/Support/JX2Antenna.cfg
4 errors related to GameData/Kerbalism/Support/OrbitalScience.cfg
1 error related to GameData/Kerbalism/Support/SoundingRockets.cfg
(4 unrelated errors)

I also put in a list of my mods below. Like, if there's some sort of obvious conflict, let me know about it, but...

Reveal hidden contents

Mod list

...I'm also spoiling it cause it's almost embarrassingly expansive. I know I'm gonna get at least one lecture about being more picky with my mods, but if MM is only giving me 12 errors out of 36k patches, something's going right.

KSP: 1.3.1 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
000_AT_Utils - 1.5
Filter Extensions - 3.2.0.2
Filter Extensions - 3.2
Toolbar - 1.7.15
USI Tools - 0.10.1
USI Tools - 0.9.2
Community Category Kit - 2.0.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.7.1
CSIFreighter - 0.2.4
Ablative-Airbrake - 0.3
Advanced Jet Engine - 2.9
Arch_Aerospace - 0.1
B9 Part Switch - 2.1
CactEye Telescopes - 1.3.1.14
Community Category Kit - 2.0.2
Community Resource Pack - 0.8
CommunityTechTree - 3.2.1
Community Trait Icons - 0.1.2
Connected Living Space - 1.2.5.3
Contract Configurator - 1.23.3
Contract Reward Modifier - 1.0.2.5
CSIFreighter - 0.3.1
Crew Portraits - 1.3.1
CryoEngines - 0.5.11
CryoTanks - 0.4.9
DSCore - 1.0.1
Airline Kuisine - 1.6.1
ThorTech - 0.8.6.1
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.10
CapCom Mission Control On The Go - 1.0.2.7
Contract Parser - 1.0.7
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.8.1
Progress Parser - 1.0.8
Dynamic Deflection - 1.2.4
DynamicBatteryStorage - 1.2
Easy Vessel Switch - 1.5.6471.31118
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.3.16
EVA Transfer - 1.0.7.1
EVA Struts - 1.0.4.1
Extraplanetary Launchpads - 5.9
Firespitter - 7.6
FlagRotate - 1.1.5
Flexible Docking - 1.0.5
FMRS (Flight Manager For Reusable Stages) - 1.2.6
FShangarExtender - 3.5.2
FTLDriveContinued - 0.1.10
GroundConstruction - 1.2.1
Hangar - 3.3.3
HeatControl - 0.4.4
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes - 1.0.1
Impact - 1.6.2.2
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.10.3
JanitorsCloset - 0.3.3
RasterPropMonitor - 0.29.3
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6.3
Kerbin Environmental Institute - 1.2.3
KerbalAtomics - 0.4.11
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.3
Kerbal Foundries - 2.1.2.11
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.3.3
KerbNet Controller - 1.0.3.1
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.7.6468.41490
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
KSPWheel - 0.10.5.21
Kurrikane - 1.1.0.1
Infernal Robots - 2.0.13
Infernal Robotics Sequencer - 1.0.3
ZZZRadioTelescope - 1.0.2
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.7
NearFutureConstruction - 0.8.4
NearFutureElectrical - 0.9.8
NearFutureLaunchVehicles - 1.1.3
NearFutureProps - 0.2.1
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.9.5
NearFutureSolar - 0.8.8
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.7.5
NE Kerbal Environmental Effects Study (KEES) - 0.7.8.21
PatchManager - 0.0.11
PhysicsRangeExtender - 1.5
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.5.8
Portrait Stats - 1.0.15.1
Precise Node - 1.2.6
RCS Build Aid - 0.9.4
Recovery Controller - 0.0.3
AmpYear - 1.5.1
DeepFreeze Continued... - 0.23.7
ResearchBodies - 1.9.5
RKE Joystick - 0.11
RoverScience - 2.3.3
SCANsat - 1.1.8.2
Science Relay - 1.0.4.2
PicoPort - 0.1.3
Show All Fuels Continued - 1.3.1
SmartParts - 1.9.8
SolverEngines - 3.4
Soundtrack Editor - 4.4
RecycledParts - 0.1.4.3
StageRecovery - 1.7.2
StationPartsExpansion - 0.5.2
Store My Reports - 1.1
StreamlineEnginesTanks - 1.1
Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights for Self-Illumination - 1.6.6484.37549
ThrottleControlledAvionics - 3.5
Trajectories - 1.7.1
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.8.5
Transfer Window Planner - 1.6.2
TweakScale - 2.3.7
USI Core - 0.5
Asteroid Recycling Tech - 0.11
USI Exploration Pack - 0.9
Freight Transport Tech - 0.8
Karbonite - 0.10
Konstruction - 0.3
Malemute Rover - 0.4
MKS - 0.53
NuclearRockets - 0.5
Sounding Rockets - 0.7
Universal Storage - 1.3.0.1
EVAParachutesAndEjectionSeats - 0.1.15
VesselViewerContinued - 0.8.6
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.16.6
WildBlueTools - 1.39.1
Kerbal Actuators - 1.0.6.1
Buffalo - 2.3.3
Deep Space Exploration Vessels - 3.0.0.3
Airships - 2.9.1
Kerbal KIS Items - 2.1.3
Kerbal Komets - 0.5
Mark One Laboratory Extensions - 1.10.1
Pathfinder - 1.19
[x] Science! - 5.11

note to self: when you try to put an output log in a spoiler, it crashes the page :D

so I'm just gonna post the output log in a new post. I know this is annoying, I'm sorry, but my computer is not letting me put everything up at once :/

You are supposed to upload your logs to a file hosting site, like Dropbox, then share the link here. However, your issue is simple. Kerbalism was not updated to work with the latest module manager. Roll back to module manager 2.8.1 and all will be fine. Don’t hold your breath waiting on a fix from the dev here as it seems he is taking an extended break from KSP.

Edited by Galileo

Hello? I have an issue. All the kerbals I try to rescue are already dead when I get there, how do I fix? Not a single kerbal beyond my first encounter was ever alive

Edited by DayF3

I've lost nearly all my rep trying to rescue kerbals. Is there a fix?

FYI for me, the cheat menu won't ever open so i can't cheat the stuff back. It's my keyboard.

Edited by DayF3

3 hours ago, DayF3 said:

I've lost nearly all my rep trying to rescue kerbals. Is there a fix?

FYI for me, the cheat menu won't ever open so i can't cheat the stuff back. It's my keyboard.

Kerbalism normally 'gifts' the capsules with full life support when you first come within physics range, giving you 5 days I think.  When you get there, is there no life support resource capacity, or is it empty?  Also, is there any errors in KSP.log?

Edited by lordcirth

I've run into something I'd like to do, but I'm not sure how to go about it. My apologies if it's come up before, but if it has, I've missed it. 

Has anyone tried to make a specific capsule less comfortable? Specifically, I'm using the Tantares Souyz-analog, which can carry three kerbals without helmets. It just seems to me that would be less comfortable than the stock Apollo analog, and I'd like to balance that out a bit by, say, increasing the stress taken by kerbonauts in that capsule by, oh, 50%. 

3 hours ago, John Nowak said:

I've run into something I'd like to do, but I'm not sure how to go about it. My apologies if it's come up before, but if it has, I've missed it. 

Has anyone tried to make a specific capsule less comfortable? Specifically, I'm using the Tantares Souyz-analog, which can carry three kerbals without helmets. It just seems to me that would be less comfortable than the stock Apollo analog, and I'd like to balance that out a bit by, say, increasing the stress taken by kerbonauts in that capsule by, oh, 50%. 

Interesting idea.  You could create a rule to generate stress or negative comfort then create process module in the profile file perhaps then apply it by MM to the part.

Not sure which stressor you would use though.  They might be hardcoded.

Alternatively you could use MM to decrease the volume available for that part.  This is probably the easiest and best solution.

Peace.