[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

@Razorfang I'm adding a bunch of hooks to get environment values for a vessel, you'll find it in the next version (and docs on the wiki). Among these there is a double RadiationLevel(Vessel v) function returning current radiation at the vessel position in rad/s.

@dboi88 The small antenna range is definitely bigger than that. I don't know what could trigger that behaviour.

@Enceos Thanks! :popcorn: :)

I'm not sure if I've installed this wrong, or there's a problem with 1.1.1 compatibility. The stock crew capsules are supposed to be modified when using this mod so that they carry oxygen and other life support resources? I am not seeing that, which makes early career a bit difficult since it leaves no parts with any oxygen capacity.

1 hour ago, Norcalplanner said:

@dboi88 I'm pretty sure that 500m is far enough away that the curvature of Minmus would block line of sight to the larger antenna. Tou may want to try putting a relay sat or two in minmus orbit.

Myself, I'm thinking of putting a small constellation of satellites in between the Mun and minmus, which should cover everything but the very farthest side of Minmus.

I just did some quick trig and figured out the general formula and 2 special cases for straight-line visibility range, assuming two vertical antennas on a spherical body.

Spoiler

General case, on a body of radius R, two antenna of height X and Y, have direct line of sight between their tops up to the separation Z:

Z = ( 2 R X + X^2 )^0.5 + ( 2 R Y + Y^2 )^0.5

If X = Y:

Z = 2 ( 2 R X + X^2 )^0.5

X = ( R^2 + (Z^2/4) )^0.5 - R

To just have line-of-sight of 500m, two similar antennas would only have to be 0.52m high (Kerbal high :)).

Two 3m antenna would have 1200m line-of-sight range.   Two 10m antenna would have 2190m line-of-sight range.  For most antenna designs, you can use their height to the top because the radio waves curve slightly around the horizon.

Edited by Jacke

1 minute ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@geb This mod doesn't support 1.1.1 (yet).

And there are indications (GOG commented that Squad has asked them to hold off to wait for an updated KSP) 1.1.2 or at least a hotfix for 1.1.1 is imminent.

8 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I just did some quick trig and figured out the general formula and 2 special cases for straight-line visibility range, assuming two vertical antennas on a spherical body.

Hide contents

General case, on a body of radius R, two antenna of height X and Y, have direct line of sight between their tops up to the separation Z:

Z = ( 2 R X + X^2 )^0.5 + ( 2 R Y + Y^2 )^0.5

If X = Y:

Z = 2 ( 2 R X + X^2 )^0.5

X = ( R^2 + (Z^2/4) )^0.5 - R

To just have line-of-sight of 500m, two similar antennas would only have to be 0.52m high (Kerbal high :)).

Two 3m antenna would have 1200m line-of-sight range.   Two 10m antenna would have 2190m line-of-sight range.  For most antenna designs, you can use their height to the top because the radio waves curve slightly around the horizon.

Makes sense, but I don't know if KSP is smart enough to know where the antenna is located on a craft. It wouldn't surprise me if it's drawing an imaginary line from one center of mass to the other.

awesome mod! best life-support mod so far. 

My question is, how can i add entertainment values to station parts that dont have them? Especially the "CxAerospace: Stations Parts Pack", which look sooo good!! The sleeping quarters and the gym module are very nice and have amazing IVAs, but I cant justify using them if they dont make the kerbals happy. 

cheers

4 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@ragusila You can add entertainment to a part by writing this in a .cfg file, and putting that file anywere in GameData:

@PART[my_part_name]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = Entertainment
    rate = 1.5
    description = A funny description for the part tooltip
  }
}

awesome! thanks :D

1 hour ago, Norcalplanner said:

Makes sense, but I don't know if KSP is smart enough to know where the antenna is located on a craft. It wouldn't surprise me if it's drawing an imaginary line from one center of mass to the other.

Probably.  Could be reusing a graphics visual line-of-sight function for it. But if it's checking using the CoM height, it's still the same forumlae except X and Y are now the CoM heights off the spherical body's ground.

Great job! This is a kind of mode I've been looking since I started to play KSP.

I'm waiting for Kerbalism for Patch 1.1.1.:wink:

P.S: It would be very nice if you could do something with experience gaining for engineers & scientist. For instance, the more your engineer successfully repairs broken parts, the more experience he gets.

Edited by Eindri

24 minutes ago, Enceos said:

Didn't know that. I'm playing happily on 1.1.1. :3

Did you find a way to give the crew pods all the life support resources? The mod will play on 1.1.1 but there seem to be critical bits missing.

I love the idea and the simplicity of having it all in one, but I have a problem with the oxygen scrubbers/greenhouse-some people would want to use MKS/OKS for a more self-sustaining base, saying that you should have a setting to change to MKS/OKS or you could collaborate with RoverDude and merge into one mod.

PS-I made this account to reply to you, so I kinda like your mod

Edited by ewood24

Geez... A new KSP 1.1.1 build and probably another one right after that? Oh my, I was completely blind-sided by that. {Big fat wink}.

Hey SN?

Is is safe to assume signal.cfg works in the same way lifesupport.cfg does? That is, spread the tech upgrades where ever and it's all cumulative. I remember seeing "Less problems that way".

@DarkonZ Yes all of them use the cumulative method. You can also change the technologies just with an MM patch, in case you missed that

Spoiler

ScrubberEfficiency
{
  tech0 = miniaturization
  tech1 = precisionEngineering
  tech2 = scienceTech
  tech3 = experimentalScience
}
ManufacturingQuality
{
  tech0 = advConstruction
  tech1 = specializedConstruction
  tech2 = composites
  tech3 = metaMaterials
}
SignalProcessing
{
  tech0 = advElectrics
  tech1 = largeElectrics
  tech2 = experimentalElectrics
}

4 hours ago, geb said:

Did you find a way to give the crew pods all the life support resources? The mod will play on 1.1.1 but there seem to be critical bits missing.

I see all the resources on my install. Scrubber and climate control work as expected. Food, EC and oxygen deplete over time. Shielding is present.

Life Support resources are added by an MM patch, they're mod independent. If you have them missing, then you probably installed a conflicting mod, which strips the pods of their resources to add his own.

GiTJWGw.jpg

Edited by Enceos

6 hours ago, MatttheCzar said:

Anyone know if the latest version works with 1.0.5?  I want to add it to my current save.

No, it doesn't. Get the 1.0.5 version from spacedock (though it doesn't have some features and parts).

@ShotgunNinja I stumbled upon a bug today. Kerbalism doesn't play nicely with kerbals spawned on the ground via contracts from Contract Configurator. The kerbal spawns with a helmet on, without electricity and replicates itself upon entering a pod. Removing Kerbalism made the problem disappear, the Kerbal was without helmet and entered a pod with no probs. (Well, you told already that helmets are fixed in the next version). After I edited the save and added the missing life support resources, the kerbal entered the pod without duplicating itself.

AVyLhnE.jpg

Pinging @nightingale, maybe he can help sort out the correct kerbal spawning.

Edited by Enceos

: /

I'm torn. I like all the features in here, but I also really like Remote Tech!

Proper background processing is something I've wanted in RT for a long time. This mod adds it to my relays, but at the cost of...well...everything else in Remote Tech.

Time to go rooting through configs, I guess. :wink:

24 minutes ago, The Great Potato said:

: /

I'm torn. I like all the features in here, but I also really like Remote Tech!

Proper background processing is something I've wanted in RT for a long time. This mod adds it to my relays, but at the cost of...well...everything else in Remote Tech.

Time to go rooting through configs, I guess. :wink:

You won't have to toss away RT in the next version:

So, new patch, and I figured I would finally try out 1.1 (been tethered to my 1.0.5 install) and decided what better time try out the latest and greatest realism mod, Kerbalism. I also recently discovered NecroBones' Joolian Discovery part pack, and I've never been to Jool, (and what better way to test out the Stress mechanics and coronal ejections and such, at least that was my thinking).

The long and the short of it? Brutal. The first kerbal started hearing voices 50 days out. We're now 100 days out and everyone is off the walls, screaming, throwing SCIENCE out the proverbial windows, breaking stuff. It's a mad house. The maneuver node, just to get a chance at Jool, is um...1 year 200 days out still (the transfer burn was less than stellar:D). There is one bright spot though. The ship comes equipped with an advanced AI with a soothing, melodious voice. It tells me that the SCIENCE must be protected, and that the Kerbals are a threat to the SCIENCE. I'm not sure what to do...:mellow:

@ShotgunNinja As an aside, in the 50+ days since the first breakdown began, there have been roughly two dozen (give or take a handful) breakdowns (not to mention solar flares and malfunctions), each one stopping time warp. Two more year's of this and I might have a breakdown. I suggest giving the player the option to override the stop time warp feature, as it's a serious buzz kill on long voyages, although a necessary feature. Enjoying the mod so far, although, like many have said before me, I look forward to more modularity and compatibility with other mods.

And as a potential bug report: I noticed that sometimes when coming out of high time warp, CO2 will drop suddenly to zero. It usually then bounces back up again to where it was at. I do have scrubbers active at 90%, but it's a sudden lurch, almost like backup processing catching up or something (just a wild guess, no idea really). More is going on here; likely a CRP conflict, as I have two C02's. Nevermind for now.

Cheers.

cPs3i5Y.png

CBlFg1X.png

Edited by Deimos Rast
update

2 minutes ago, Enceos said:

@Deimos Rast The GUI of Kerbalism has quite a few features you haven't discovered yet. Take your time to click everyhere in the Kerbalism helper window :)

!!!!!!!!!!!

It was getting bad, almost hourly interruptions...

...and it doesn't work.

Or at least, I clicked at the respective hide message boxes and they're now red x's and I'm still getting messages and warp stoppage is still happenin'. Maybe it needs a scene change?

Thank you though.