[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

1 minute ago, Deimos Rast said:

Or at least, I clicked at the respective hide message boxes and they're now red x's and I'm still getting messages and warp stoppage is still happenin'. Maybe it needs a scene change?

Then thanks for the report. @ShotgunNinja might ask you for more info when he comes online, please stay tuned.

Is it possible to use the radiation belts and other radiation areas as biomes? I'm looking at making a science experiment based on the bioculture experiment on the iss

"Study of the results of food bioculture exposure to space radiation. Two pouches with biocultures exposed on the ISS RS in order to study the results of food bioculture exposure to space radiation"

Probably premature, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll be on, so I'll pull the trigger now.

Here's a log linux, 64 bit. Pretty fresh install (less than 48 hours old, still has the new car smell:)).

Mod list; anything else you can think of?

I know I have some conflict with CRP somewhere in there as I have two C02's (a C02 and a CarbonDioxide). Pretty sure Nertea's suite installs CRP, or Planetary Base Inc does. Eitherway, I was pretty careful to avoid bigger mod conflicts that would cause issues with this ones, and I specifically looked into the Food/C02 conflicts ahead of time, but figured they'd kinda, you know, work their differences out in game:D; maybe not.

p.s. off topic but I like your Kerbal Hacks pack btw.

---edit---

scene change did nothing

Spoiler

000_FilterExtensions
000_FilterExtensions Configs
000_Toolbar
[x] Science!
ABCORS
B9PartSwitch
CameraFocusChanger
ColorCodedCans
ColorfulFuelLines
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ContractRewardModifier
CrewManifest
CryoEngines
CryoTanks
DebugStuff
DeployableEngines
DistantObject
DMagicOrbitalScience
DMagicUtilities
EngineLight
EVAManager
EVAStruts
EVATransfer
ExceptionDetector
FieldExperience
FuelTanksPlus
GPOSpeedFuelPump
HaystackContinued
HeatControl
HotSpot
InterstellarFuelSwitch
JoolianDiscovery
KerbalAtomics
KerbalEngineer
Kerbalism
KerbalJointReinforcement
Kerbaltek
kerbodynePlus
KerboKatz
KSP-AVC
KSPX
LETech
MechJeb2
MinAmbience
ModRocketSys
NavBallsToYou
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
OrbitalSurveyPlus
OrbitalTug
PartCommander
PersistentRotation
PlanetaryBaseInc
PortraitStats
PreciseNode
RealChute
RLA_Stockalike
SafeChute
SCANsat
ScienceParamModifier
SmartParts
SpaceY-Expanded
SpaceY-Lifters
Squad
TankLock
ToadicusTools
TreeToppler
TriggerTech
TweakableEverything
TweakScale
UniversalStorage
VOID
ModuleManager.2.6.23.dll

Edited by Deimos Rast

6 hours ago, Enceos said:

I see all the resources on my install. Scrubber and climate control work as expected. Food, EC and oxygen deplete over time. Shielding is present.

Life Support resources are added by an MM patch, they're mod independent. If you have them missing, then you probably installed a conflicting mod, which strips the pods of their resources to add his own.

GiTJWGw.jpg

I don't understand what's happening with my install then. The only other mod I had was scatterer, which shouldn't conflict. I tried again with scatterer removed and still couldn't get Kerbalism to work right. Am I missing some prerequisite? I used the latest version of Kerbalism on KSP 1.1.1 64bit on Win7, and I see no oxygen, food or shielding on any of the crew pods. I do have the mod parts like inline food storage, greenhouse, gravity ring, and so on, but stock parts aren't adjusted as they should be.

1 minute ago, geb said:

I don't understand what's happening with my install then. The only other mod I had was scatterer, which shouldn't conflict. I tried again with scatterer removed and still couldn't get Kerbalism to work right. Am I missing some prerequisite? I used the latest version of Kerbalism on KSP 1.1.1 64bit on Win7, and I see no oxygen, food or shielding on any of the crew pods. I do have the mod parts like inline food storage, greenhouse, gravity ring, and so on, but stock parts aren't adjusted as they should be.

Do you have ModuleManager installed? O.o its required

@geb That does indeed look like it may be caused by a missing ModuleManager. Make sure you have at least version 2.6.23.

@Deimos Rast Thanks for the report, I see nothing in the logs (there are a bunch of exceptions but unrelated to this mod). Also there is a lot of orbit editing, it may be possible that hyperedit is interfering somehow, i'll investigate.

@Enceos  Next version fix the problem with resque eva kerbals (i assume that's the only way they get created by contracts) that were throwing exceptions left and right. So that should be solved. Thanks for the report.

I want to take the chance and showcase how a rule looks, to show how easy it will be to change things and create new mechanics:

Spoiler

// CLIMATE
Rule
{
  name = climate
  resource_name = ElectricCharge
  rate = 0.0001242236 // 0.02 per-second at average diff from survival temp in LKO
  degeneration = 0.00000345 // 30min  
  on_eva = 20.0 // 16min autonomy
  on_resque = 50.0
  modifier = temperature

warning_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL feels cold|$ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is sweating
  danger_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is freezing to death|$ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is burning alive
  fatal_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL froze to death|$ON_VESSEL$KERBAL was burned alive
  relax_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL hypothermia is under control|$ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is hugging the climatizer

low_message = $VESSEL batteries are almost empty$NEWLINE<i>We are squeezing the last bit of juice</i>
  empty_message = There is no more ElectricCharge on $VESSEL$NEWLINE<i>Life support systems are off</i>
  refill_message = $VESSEL batteries recharged$NEWLINE<i>The crew is allowed music again</i>
}

// FOOD
Rule
{
  name = food
  resource_name = Food
  waste_name = Waste
  rate = 1.0 // 1 per-day
  interval = 21600.0 // 1 day
  degeneration = 0.125 // 8 meals
  on_eva = 0.0
  on_resque = 1.0

warning_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is hungry
  danger_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is starving
  fatal_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL starved to death
  relax_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL has got a mouthful of snacks now

low_message = Food reserves are getting low on $VESSEL$NEWLINE<i>Anything edible is being scrutinized</i>
  empty_message = There is no more food on $VESSEL$NEWLINE<i>The crew prepare for the inevitable</i>
  refill_message = $VESSEL food reserves restored$NEWLINE<i>Double snack rations for everybody</i>
}

// OXYGEN
Rule
{
  name = oxygen
  resource_name = Oxygen
  waste_name = CO2
  rate = 0.0000462963 // 1 per-day
  degeneration = 0.002083333 // 8 minutes  
  on_eva = 0.1 // about 30min
  on_resque = 1.0
  modifier = breathable

warning_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL can't breathe
  danger_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is suffocating
  fatal_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL suffocated to death
  relax_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is breathing again

low_message = Oxygen reserves are dangerously low on $VESSEL$NEWLINE<i>There is mild panic among the crew</i>
  empty_message = There is no more oxygen on $VESSEL$NEWLINE<i>Everybody stop breathing</i>
  refill_message = $VESSEL oxygen reserves restored$NEWLINE<i>The crew is taking a breather</i>
}

// QUALITY OF LIFE
Rule
{
  name = stress
  degeneration = 0.0000011574 // 40 days
  variance = 0.33 // add per-kerbal variance
  modifier = qol
  breakdown = true // trigger breakdown event instead of death

warning_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is losing $HIS_HER mind$NEWLINE<i>Concentration is becoming a problem</i>
  danger_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is about to breakdown$NEWLINE<i>Starting to hear voices</i>
  // no fatal_message because breakdown message is generated automatically
  // no relax_message because there is no recovery from stress
}

// RADIATION POISONING
Rule
{
  name = radiation
  degeneration = 1.0 // just use the modifier
  modifier = radiation

warning_threshold = 15.0 // in rad
  danger_threshold = 22.5 // in rad
  fatal_threshold = 30.0 // in rad

warning_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL has been exposed to intense radiation
  danger_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is reporting symptoms of radiation poisoning
  fatal_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL died after being exposed to extreme radiation
  // no relax_message because there is no recovery from radiation
}

Essentially every rule keep track of an 'accumulator' per kerbal, and optionally consume a resource. The consumption rates and degeneration rates can be influenced by a 'modifier' (the real bonanza) that allow to make them relative to 'environment radiation after shielding', 'absolute difference from survival temperature', 'if the atmosphere is breathable' or 'quality of life factor'. And all of these environmental modifiers are relative to an 'internal space': meaning the whole vessel (without CLS) or individual contiguous internal spaces (with CLS).

Every rule you add that has a resource is automatically included in the supply icon in the monitor as well as in the vessel info depletion estimates. Also every rule add its accumulator as a progress bar (ascii progress bars FTW) to the vessel info window.

Finally, I ported all existing mechanics to this framework. So big refactor going on.

EDIT

To clarify, it will be possible to just delete one of the rules to completely remove that mechanic. Also, it will be possible to write your own set of rules, just the way you like it. And without any rules Kerbalism will degenerate into a background resource simulation with a ElectricCharge planner and monitor ui.

Edited by ShotgunNinja
clarified

In 1.1.2 modulemanager doesn't initialize: no patch applied, mods break, included Kerbalism: wait for a module manager fix before updating to 1.1.2

EDIT> there's a new modulemanager for 1.1.2, version 2.6.24

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/50533-112-module-manager-2624-april-30th-where-the-singularity-started/&do=findComment&comment=2550514

Edited by Terensky

I just wanted to chip in and thank you for your work on this mod.I am so pleased to see CLS being used as I always hoped it would be - to enhance mods that deal with life support, psychology, comfort, environmental factors and so on. This is some awesome work. Thanks

44 minutes ago, Death Engineering said:

Played Kerbalism to the third Mun landing and wanted to start again in 1.1.1 but this time set difficulty to 'Hard'.  Oops.. I don't think there is enough SCIENCE! on hard nerfing to get past the third tier. Anyone else tried playing with "Hard" levels set?

If you can land on Mun, you can reach Mimnmus too and every part of Kerbin. I think you can find enough science for everything.

22 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

If you can land on Mun, you can reach Mimnmus too and every part of Kerbin. I think you can find enough science for everything.

Can't quite reach the Mun yet as I don't have any batteries but I was able to launch a few sub orbital hops to other landing zones to get the Kerbin surface science and barely made it to 45 to get my first tier 4 node.  Now, of course, funds are very tight so yeah.. hard is harder. :wink:

On 4/23/2016 at 5:12 PM, lagcity613 said:

Here are some patches to make KPBS support Kerbalism https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zsz5q8mzs8fse0/KerbalismFoxPatches1.2.7z?dl=0

I've been using your patches for a while now, but today I can't find the planetary oxygen containers. It's not anywhere in the tech tree, and I know I had it unlocked earlier. All the other base parts are there. I'm running KSP 1.1.2 with Kerbalism 0.9.9.4 and Kerbal Planetary Base Systems 1.0.9. The oxygen containers' files are in the directory, just not in game.

8 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I want to take the chance and showcase how a rule looks, to show how easy it will be to change things and create new mechanics:

I've been lurking around here daily and just want to say I really appreciate the work you've done to allow other people to easily customize this mod the way they want. What you originally posted, with the license you gave, was more than enough to let anyone, who really wanted to, do what they wanted with it. So - thanks!

2 hours ago, veritassapere said:

I would love to know the answer to this question, is this maybe possible in conjunction with another mod?

This was possible with the old ORS system by Interstellar. Now it would be possible with the Community Resource Pack, but I'm not sure the effort will be worth it.

4 hours ago, cubinator said:

I've been using your patches for a while now, but today I can't find the planetary oxygen containers. It's not anywhere in the tech tree, and I know I had it unlocked earlier. All the other base parts are there. I'm running KSP 1.1.2 with Kerbalism 0.9.9.4 and Kerbal Planetary Base Systems 1.0.9. The oxygen containers' files are in the directory, just not in game.

Remove my patch, the latest KBPS has Kerbalism support.

I'm now half trough a new career using only Kerbalism and the overall experience is great. Sanity, food and oxygen give a real value to time, and force the player to plan for travel times, to find good transfer windows and encourage using not dV optimal transfers. As for the difficulty, I find that food is too heavy, the difficulty of going anywhere past Kerbin SOI is increased by several orders of magnitude. I get it, pre-supply missions and ISRU are now a necessity but when you sum up weight requirement for food + oxygen + living space + shielding + redundant parts in case of malfunctions, a manned mission to Jool is barely possible with stock engines ISP.

There is one aspect that I find poorly implemented : malfunctions. I suspect two underlying intents : make engineers useful/needed and/or require redundancy. On manned missions, the gameplay is tedious. Having to fix on EVA 20 parts every 50 days is boring and do not add anything interesting. Why not just reduce malfunction rate when an engineer is on board, with a level influence ? And reduce it further when multiple engineers are on board ? It would encourage larger crews.

But the totally game-breaking part is antennas : you simply cannot make a long unmanned mission because no matter how many antennas you put on the ship, they will more or less all break at the same time. I can compensate malfunctions on engines, power sources or torque providers by oversizing and it is an interesting gameplay element but antenna effect isn't cumulative so I'm stuck with a fixed lifetime. From my experience, this lifetime is insufficient to go past Kerbin SOI. And it also defeat the point of relays because they are already dead by the time I'm in a position to use them.

As it is now the whole thing looks more like a "fixed part lifetime" system. To fix the problem, I think that malfunctions should only occur on "active" parts : engines should fail while running, reaction wheels when active, solar panels and antennas when deployed (and require antennas to be deployed to work) and so on. It would make real redundancy possible, give us a way to adapt a vessel/probe/satellite lifetime, would resolve partially the part failure spam when on time warp (this is really annoying) and fix the unmanned mission problem.

Edited by Gotmachine

Really sleek-looking mod, but there are some things lacking in it right now that make me want to wait to use it until it's further developed. Mostly because I've become accustomed to using things like RemoteTech and MKS. If there was a way to combine the longevity of MKS with the system that this brings that would be amazing. I am concerned with how radiation would effect colonies over long periods of time, and if there were ways to obtain oxygen from the planets themselves (through water ice or CO2, or directly with laythe) to offset the inevitable oxygen supply runs to colonies, which would get extremely tedious if one had many colonies across the solar system. Optional integration with RemoteTech, or steal the main features that RemoteTech has that this lacks, such as signal delay (and autopilot with it), variety of options, and non-KSC control stations. Additionally, do network backouts effect communications within magnetospheres or on the surface of planets? Because don't they only very weakly affect planetary communications? Also, a way around the blackouts for super-important probes would be nice, what I was thinking was quantum-entanglment paired communication. Each quantum comms device must be programmed to a channel in advance in the VAB with a limit of two devices per channel (if a third is added the new device doesn't work and must be scrapped), and requires an "entangled pair half" resource so it's impossible to make in-situ with EPL to avoid costs (or maybe just very difficult if you add a way to make it). They wouldn't require line of sight to communicate and if signal  Obviously, the device would be incredibly expensive, as are quantum pairs are in real life to make, and would only be able to send small packets of data across at a time. As for entertainment, could we use funds and research to provide system of entertainment to the astronauts, like TV, movies, books, video games, etc.? Although it may sound a bit silly and trivial, the escapism that these entertainment medium give could be the difference between a kerbal opening both airlock doors at the same time or not. You could even add a virtual reality room part, a library (equipped with a vast quantity of E-books and fancy tablets to read them on), or a greenery with a space view (I'm sure astro-kerbals would enjoy meditation if their sanity depended on it). Also, being on the surface and going on EVA should help mitigate SOME insanity, though it wouldn't prevent meltdowns, especially if isolated. Though some kinds of mediums would eventual run out of usefulness to Kerbals, and some Kerbals wouldn't find certain kinds of entertainment entertaining. Adding this depth would add challenge to maintaining long-term sanity in cramped spaces, but give more options to mitigate and solve this insanity. For part failures, it would be nice if we could somehow take greater steps to guarantee that they almost never happen for our deep-space and long-term probes. And if they do happen, possibly find a way to treat these failures autonomously. In prevention, we could use greater funds in building parts to push off the failure rate to something like 2-4%, making many-year probes in deep space feasible. Of course, ensuring this low of failure rate would be expensive, and probably only feasible for a few key parts. In treatment, only the more simple parts could be built with high-end naturally-self repairing materials that could mostly repair them back to the shape they were in prior to the failure over time (they do exist), however eventually the naturally repairing properties decay as it gets damaged and the likelihood of future failure increases with each self-repair, until they are re-strengthened or replaced by and outside source. To balance these things could be more flimsy compared to their counterparts and/or more likely to fail in the first place, and they could not have the likelihood of failure decreased with funds. For the more complex parts that fail, a probe might be fitted with an autonomous repair system that they could use on other probes, requiring a lot of power and maybe some materials for repair, they could repair other vessel's parts. This could also be used to augment engineer's work, perhaps allowing them to fix dangerous parts like RTGs or engines that they would be barred from otherwise or would be risky, with compatibility with other mods this could expanded to things like nuclear reactors and such. And finally, question: do scientist still boost the potential science of tests? If not, could that be implemented? Otherwise scientists lose much of their power. Really look forward to where this mod will be going, hope my ideas were useful.

Sorry if this question was answered before, but how´s the compatibility with DeepFreeze? I know it caused some issues with other Life-Support mods, in Kerbalism I can imagine that mental health could be also (not) triggered accordingly. Anybody tried those mods simultaneously?

Edited by Wolfox

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

Sorry if this question was answered before, but how´s the compatibility with DeepFreeze? I know it caused some issues with other Life-Support mods, in Kerbalism I can imagine that mental health could be also (not) triggered accordingly. Anybody tried those mods simultaneously?

DeepFreeze was one of the first mod to be made compatible.

3 minutes ago, Vlyan said:

i wonder, with all radiation stuff and craziness, maybe a Medical Kerbal (scientist subclass ?) will be fun to add ?

Ohhhh, hell yeah! Medical bay, or at least medicines for KIS storage to cure radiation poisoning or mental illness?