[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

@ShotgunNinja I have an issue with radiations. As you can see in the picture, this ship has a shielding level of 6 on 12, cause I avoided to shield the side rings and another part I don't remember for weight reason. All for a trip to Mars in Stock Size Real Solar System. If I remeber correctly what you said about radiations, I thought that this level of shielding would be more than enough for such a travel, instead, as soon as I went back from Mars to interplanetary space, I had the alert of radiation exposure and the level on my crew is yellow.

This ship is in space from 153 days, but the first 50 more or less it was still in construction in LEO and protected from the Earth's magnetosphere, the travel to Mars lasted 70 days and before I begin the return travel the crew was protected from the magnetosphere of Mars.

Is this my mistake or there is something wrong?

faLjCkX.jpg

5 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

This ship is in space from 153 days, but the first 50 more or less it was still in construction in LEO and protected from the Earth's magnetosphere, the travel to Mars lasted 70 days and before I begin the return travel the crew was protected from the magnetosphere of Mars.

I may be be wrong but I believe Duna doesn't have a magnetosphere nor does Mars in real life, so it may not have with Kerbalism as well?

Edited by leomike
Correct typo

22 minutes ago, leomike said:

I maybe be wrong but I believe Duna doesn't have a magnetosphere nor does Mars in real life, so it may not have with Kerbalism as well?

I had the Kerbalism message of the radiation shield around Mars.

6 hours ago, Squelch7 said:

Which profile are you using? I've started a bundle of careers under Kerbalism (even under SSRSS in one case) and I've never had any trouble running out of electricity in the early game (including orbit).

I think he's already moved the first solar panel and battery to earlier nodes. 

That was with the default profile. Ran out of power within an hour or so. 

3 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

I had the Kerbalism message of the radiation shield around Mars.

If you are using 24 hour days, you would have about 66 days before you get the first warning (50% of max rad).

50% * 30rad / 0.0000055555rad/s / (6 / 12 * 0.95) = 5,684,267s = 65.8 day

Remember that the half the shielding only (roughly) doubles your lifespan, whereas full shielding increases it 20 folds.

Edit: Also, if at any point your orbit stayed a little too long in the belt it can quickly affect these values, each minute corresponding to over 16 hours of cosmic radiation.

Edited by leomike

Hey there, I made a previous post on a bug that I was experiencing a few days ago. 

After updating to Kerbalism 0.9.9.9 , I've began experienceing that kerbal replication bug again. 

This time, I made sure that I removed Kerbal Krash System, IR Robotics, Deadly Reentry, etc. , as stated on the link you've posted. Despite this, the bug keeps popping up, even when I downgrade to the previous versions of Kerbalism 

6 hours ago, leomike said:

If you are using 24 hour days, you would have about 66 days before you get the first warning (50% of max rad).

50% * 30rad / 0.0000055555rad/s / (6 / 12 * 0.95) = 5,684,267s = 65.8 day

Remember that the half the shielding only (roughly) doubles your lifespan, whereas full shielding increases it 20 folds.

Edit: Also, if at any point your orbit stayed a little too long in the belt it can quickly affect these values, each minute corresponding to over 16 hours of cosmic radiation.

I agree, the point is, how can I plan a mission to Jool or Eloo (not so say Jupiter and Pluto) if the crew will go melt down before Dres?

12 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

I agree, the point is, how can I plan a mission to Jool or Eloo (not so say Jupiter and Pluto) if the crew will go melt down before Dres?

I think you either need to increase shielding. Or. Use CLS so that you get the full benefit of the shielding you've got. I'm assuming the unshielded parts are not the living space for the long distance journey?

Didn't I remember seeing pages ago that if you had Connected Living Space a "Storm Cellar" effect was in place...so if you had major shielding on one Habitat component the crew could fit into that counted as major shielding wherever the crew were?

4 minutes ago, Revenant503 said:
Didn't I remember seeing pages ago that if you had Connected Living Space a "Storm Cellar" effect was in place...so if you had major shielding on one Habitat component the crew could fit into that counted as major shielding wherever the crew were?

Yes that's correct. As long as the two spaces are seperate. I.e an eva to get to it. If you can pass between the two parts it'll be counted as one space and then average the shielding.

3 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

I don't know what the travel time is to Jupiter but with full shielding you should survive 5200 days (Kerbin days that is), based on the delta-v map I use that is enough for at least two one way transfer to Eeloo.

Otherwise you can edit the config files to make the cosmic radiation lower or make shielding more effective. I believe both are in settings.cfg.

53 minutes ago, leomike said:

I don't know what the travel time is to Jupiter but with full shielding you should survive 5200 days (Kerbin days that is), based on the delta-v map I use that is enough for at least two one way transfer to Eeloo.

Otherwise you can edit the config files to make the cosmic radiation lower or make shielding more effective. I believe both are in settings.cfg.

Yes I remember that. A travel to Eloo is 6 years more or less. 

That is the reason I avoided to full shield that ship. Half shielding, 3 years I thought, it would be more than enough but maybe I did something wrong.

Btw I'm trying to make the ship come back with a more aggressive trajectory, now I just need the crew to survive for other 17 days, to the planned Earth periapsis.

@Nansuchao, @leomike The default profile is balanced against 6h day. It would make sense to create a version of it for 24h day, that is also always used by players using RSS (longer distances, etc).

CLS can be useful to deal with radiation long-term, not much for cosmic radiation as you also need the living-space/entertainment to be high overall during the long trip, but more to make an 'uncomfortable but hardened' internal space to use during solar storms or when crossing a belt. As leomike pointed out, those are going to weight heavily on the lifetime radiation dose: 1h crossing the Kerbin/Earth belt equal 166 kerbin days / 41 earth days worth of cosmic space radiation.

RSS Mars has no radiation belt and a small magnetic field. In reality, Mars has a very tenue and extremely irregular magnetic field.

@SkyblueX Honestly, I don't know what may cause the duplication bug. I see it's a long standing bug in various mods and, more puzzling, none of them was able to fix it. It probably arise from some inter-mod interaction, maybe when 2 or more mods add a module to EVA kerbals. It could also be related to the way the stock game (or is ModuleManager?) preserve some module data even after you remove a mod. For example, I don't think IR Robotics or Deadly Reentry could possibly cause it, even if they figure out in some of the bug reports. Also KIS seem to be in all these reports, but I bet is just a statistical anomaly as it is one of the most used mods. I'll try to replicate it when I got some spare time and see if I can associate it to multiple EVA modules (my main suspect at this point).

Very nice mod, but even with only 4 ongoing flights it reduces my framerate from 50fps to 20 and puts the ingame clock from solid green to solid yellow. I'll check this mod later to see if performance has improved.

@Nansuchao Try loading the same vessel in the editor and see what the planner estimate for radiation is. If it doesn't fit with what you are seeing there may be something wrong with radiation calculations.

@rkman There was a problem with performance from version 0.9.9.5 to version 0.9.9.7. Other than that, I see no perceptible slowdown at all with 20 vessels of various complexity. That being said an optimization pass is planned in the future.

4 hours ago, dboi88 said:

Yes that's correct. As long as the two spaces are seperate. I.e an eva to get to it. If you can pass between the two parts it'll be counted as one space and then average the shielding.

Really? I thought the mechanic worked per individual habitable module, regardless of connectivity. 

On 29/04/2016 at 1:26 PM, ShotgunNinja said:

For the second question, now the mod calculate shielding (and quality-of-life stuff) for an 'INTERNAL SPACE'. If you have ConnectedLivingSpace you can have multiple internal space in the vessel, if not your vessel is assumed to have a single internal space.

So using this mod with CLS permit complex strategies to deal with radiation, like having a 'storm shelter' or having a lightweight landing module and an hardened orbital module, etc.

Without CLS, however, shielding is simply averaged over the whole vessel.

3 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Really? I thought the mechanic worked per individual habitable module, regardless of connectivity. 

That's what i took from @ShotgunNinja previous post about it. I'm sure he'll be along to clarify before long as now i re read it it could be taken both ways.

3 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Nansuchao, @leomike

@SkyblueX Honestly, I don't know what may cause the duplication bug. I see it's a long standing bug in various mods and, more puzzling, none of them was able to fix it. It probably arise from some inter-mod interaction, maybe when 2 or more mods add a module to EVA kerbals. It could also be related to the way the stock game (or is ModuleManager?) preserve some module data even after you remove a mod. For example, I don't think IR Robotics or Deadly Reentry could possibly cause it, even if they figure out in some of the bug reports. Also KIS seem to be in all these reports, but I bet is just a statistical anomaly as it is one of the most used mods. I'll try to replicate it when I got some spare time and see if I can associate it to multiple EVA modules (my main suspect at this point).

Hehe, great! I'd gladly provide more details if needed 

@Box of Stardust, @dboi88 Radiation shielding and quality of life factors are calculated per internal space if you have CLS installed, else they are calculated for the whole vessel. With CLS, you can have an internal space with weak shielding and strong quality of life, for the long travel time. Then you can have a separed internal space with strong shielding and weak quality of life, for the times you cross the radiation belt or when a solar storm hit. I guess the best way to see how it works is to launch a vessel with multiple internal spaces and have a look at the vessel info window.