Question on modded thrusters and thrust centers.

SpaceMouse

Ok, I'm confused. I'm making my first modded thruster and exported the model fine as per normal, but modifying a CFG file, only changing the attach point and model thus far, is giving me a center of thrust at the SPH floor. Also, no thrust. Likely because below the ground. I tried adding a particle emitter to the mesh but it wouldn't load in KSP. I'm pretty sure theres a tutorial that covers this that i found before but i couldn't find it when i actually need it. (of course). Any help would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Did you add a thrust transform to the model? if so is it inside a collder? is it pointed the right way?  These are the  main issues for new engine modders, check those, and if it's still no good post an image and or unity hierarchy of your engine/thruster

As i am unaware what a thrust transform is, I assume that's a no. Mesh is currently model and collider. Thanks for the help btw. My questions don't get alot of answers. :)

Edited by SpaceMouse

Add a Gameobject in Unity and call it thrustTransform (Exactly that capitalization), with the Z+ axis (blue arrow) pointing the direction the thrust should go. Make sure its placed in the hierarchy under the gameobject that has the part tools script. Also, post your part.cfg file in a code block (The <> button on the post formatting bar) so we can check that, in case there's anything wrong there.

cZ9hTjh.jpg
It works! I stuck it on a regular plane, but it just didn't feel Kerbal enough. Introducing the KSC's new low-budged sub-orbital. $2500. That's before actually balancing the part price.

1U6mvaU.jpg
Annnnd the new low-budget aircraft. Just didn't look right on a regular plane.

I actually had to add a intake to the .mu as well, i could not get it to intake air, even when copying the part to the big turbofan. Checked it's .mu, . "Intake".

Edited by SpaceMouse

Excellent and grats.

Always pays with engines using an air intake to have a small reservoir of intake air in the cfg, the higher up the cfg the better, Having a small air supply allows the engine to start and spool up on it's own supply until it becomes self sustaining, without this small air supply the engine in some circumstances may not be able pull enough intake air to start (never had it happen myself though)

Really liking the budget special, esp the pulse jet style motor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.