Wait... Caps Lock does something in KSP?

Not only is there soft mode, but you can change the way RCS moves your ship by switching to docking mode while.... docking!  I find switching to both is great when performing the final stages of connecting my ships.  

Another useful one is absolute vs relative gizmo work.   Switch to any of the gizmo tools, and by pressing F you can have their axes relative to the ship, or the vab/sph.  It really helps to make those final adjustments on all your fidlybits.  

2 hours ago, klesh said:

Not only is there soft mode, but you can change the way RCS moves your ship by switching to docking mode while.... docking!  I find switching to both is great when performing the final stages of connecting my ships.  

You can also use HN IJKL istead, then if you need to turn you don't have to go out of docking mode

For the longest time I didn't know you could name quicksaves with alt+F5 and choose a particular one with alt-F9. Also the thing where you can hold Alt while for fine rotation in the VAB. And I only learned that Backspace focuses on the current vessel in map view a few days ago. There's a lot of obscure commands like that that I never even think of until someone tells me about it or I see someone else do it.

Edited by cubinator
Oops

20 hours ago, superstrijder15 said:

You can also use HN IJKL istead, then if you need to turn you don't have to go out of docking mode

I'm saying in addition to HNIJKL, using the docking mode with vary the output of the RCS engines so your potentially unbalanced ship will translate more and rotate less.   Or, maybe I'm crazy. 

Couple of useful keys that you probably know (maybe you don't!)

Backspace activates your "Abort" group.

Alt-L locks your staging, in case you happen to have a naughty small animal around.

Ctrl-Z (or Command-Z) does actually work as an undo key in the SPH and VAB.

Alt-F3 shows the mission log, which comes in very handy when you want to know what just exploded.

This is a new one in 1.1: "/" immediately kills timewarp!

Wow caps lock is a cool tip. IDK if it has always been that way, i never remember seeing the UI change to blue. 

Strange I never found it before, since i've accidentally hit every other key on the keyboard *glares at the "z" key*

Also, this is something that is quite cool for role-play: If you double-click the screen that says "DOCKING MODE" in any of the cockpits that have it (like the Mk1 cockpit and the Mk2 Inline) it transfers you to a docking perspective looking out a window on top, including a navball, speed, and other stuff needed for docking.

Edited by Hobbes Novakoff

30 minutes ago, numerobis said:

Fun fact: caps doesn't work the same way on OSX (it's a longstanding unity bug), so I need to remap it to the tab key.

Hm, that's interesting.  have I been using capslock all this time with no function at all?  What's a sure-fire way to prove out if it's working or now?  

I need the tab key though, for cycle SOI view.

15 hours ago, fourfa said:

Hm, that's interesting.  have I been using capslock all this time with no function at all?  What's a sure-fire way to prove out if it's working or now?  

I need the tab key though, for cycle SOI view.

When Precise mode (or soft mode, or whatever you want to call it) is active, the roll, pitch, and yaw indicators at the bottom left of the screen will change from orange to blue. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.