For Mod Makers: Feedback needed for Kyroworks.com mod hosting

KryoWorks

I currently launched a new mod hosting website "Kryoworks.com" with the hopes of making a single place for kerbal mods alone without any other games besides KSP.

I am trying to figure some things out and clarify a few responses I have rescieved about the website. If any mod makers could answer a few questiosn that would be great,

1. Would you use the site, if not why and is there anything I could change to make you change your mind?

2. Some people believe that another Mod site for ksp is redundant, while some think it is a good thing to have choices. Which do you believe and why?

3. Is the website easy to navigate and visually appealing?

4. Which Mods have you created.

5. Is the name Kryoworks a good name or would you change it? Why?

6. IF the website hosted the same amount of mods as curse, would it be more appealing for you to upload your mods.

7. What is the website missing that you think should be added.

1. Would you use the site, if not why and is there anything I could change to make you change your mind?

Yes I'd use the site. As long as it's reliable in that I can upload and manage uploads quickly and easily and that players can find mods quickly and quickly download them.

Stay on purpose. Keep it simple stupid. Make it work first, usable second, pretty third.

2. Some people believe that another Mod site for ksp is redundant, while some think it is a good thing to have choices. Which do you believe and why?

I believe it's a good thing to have choices and anyone who thinks another mod site for KSP is redundant, is wrong.

Haven't checked yet. Hope it is. Get back to you.

EDIT - Yes and very yes. I don't like the arbitary categories but then most of the mods I make don't really fit into an arbitary category. Plus, it's a lot like Curse. Yuck.

Use the forum search Luke.

Ugh. Okay, yeah that could do with rethinking. Because it's horrible. Sticking a K in front of a word does not make me automatically think KSP.

6. IF the website hosted the same amount of mods as curse, would it be more appealing for you to upload your mods.

I don't care.

Dunno yet. Get back to you.

EDIT - As RoverDude suggested, that API thingy would be handy. And if you don't work with the CKAN team to get them and the site handshakin', you're not going to make a lot of modmakers or players very happy with such a glaring omission.

Edited by AlphaAsh

I mainly use Github to keep all my works. It would be awesome if the site could track my Github releases and update the content automatically.

... I'd really love another name for the site

Edited by Enceos

2 hours ago, Enceos said:

I mainly use Github to keep all my works. It would be awesome if the site could track my Github releases and update the content automatically.

... I'd really love another name for the site

LOL ok the name out of 541 domains I have registered was laying around unused and the only one that came close. If I can come up with a better name ill get another domain. But for now...I know the name stinks.

as far as updating from github automatically, this is possible already. When creating a mod post, simply get the url of your github page, and add it to a wrapper using the frontend editing window. It will display your github page directly within your mod post :)

5 hours ago, KryoWorks said:

Never.

I prefer to maintain listings of my add-on on as few sites as possible to reduce documentation/maintenance workload - therefore, I only use CurseForge (as it is the official KSP add-on host) and GitHub (excellent version control and issue tracking).

As mentioned above, aside from the official add-on host and GitHub for version/issue tracking, I feel that all other add-on hosts (especially the "community-run" ones) are redundant.

Accessibility is acceptable, but I find the visual style too busy - too many gradients, textures and other Photoshop-esque effects.

Released:

- SDHI Service Module System

WIP (with downloadable betas)

- SDHI Strobe-O-Matic

- FusTek Station Parts

The name Kryoworks is unsuitable, as it sounds more appropriate for a cryogenics company than a game add-on hosting service.

Neither.

I use CurseForge, as it is the official KSP add-on host and it has an excellent rewards program for add-on authors.

As I have no interest in using Kryoworks or any "community-run" add-on hosts, I have no suggestions to offer.

10 hours ago, sumghai said:

Never.

I prefer to maintain listings of my add-on on as few sites as possible to reduce documentation/maintenance workload - therefore, I only use CurseForge (as it is the official KSP add-on host) and GitHub (excellent version control and issue tracking).

As mentioned above, aside from the official add-on host and GitHub for version/issue tracking, I feel that all other add-on hosts (especially the "community-run" ones) are redundant.

Accessibility is acceptable, but I find the visual style too busy - too many gradients, textures and other Photoshop-esque effects.

Released:

- SDHI Service Module System

WIP (with downloadable betas)

- SDHI Strobe-O-Matic

- FusTek Station Parts

The name Kryoworks is unsuitable, as it sounds more appropriate for a cryogenics company than a game add-on hosting service.

Neither.

I use CurseForge, as it is the official KSP add-on host and it has an excellent rewards program for add-on authors.

As I have no interest in using Kryoworks or any "community-run" add-on hosts, I have no suggestions to offer.

Thanks for being honest LOL. I will tell you that I have not laughed so hard in a long time, not because I don't believe you or value your opinion, but because it was just so bluntly honest ( as far as your opinion goes) and brutal. I have also never heard of anyone liking curse

19 hours ago, KryoWorks said:

1. I would and will once i finished the update to 1.1
  2. The more, the better
  3. Yes and yes. I especially like the artworks. They made me smile directly at the first visit. Except he login/register page, it is just a white page with black text.
  4. Kerbal Planetery Base Systems
  5. Well, i would use another name. Unfortunately the only ones i came up with JebsWorkshop and BillsGarage are already taken. Maybe JebsJunkyard
  6. No opintion here. But the website should have proved to be reliable. 
  7. Maybe other methodes to sort/find the apps. i.e.  recently updated, or when you have logged in something like suggestion about mods you might also like, depending on the mods that you already have downloaded. CKAN interation would be nice, but rather with an opt-IN than with an opt-OUT option.

EDIT: I'm not very fond of the comment option for the mods. From my experience this is (at least on Curse) mainly used for bug reports. And none of those who posted bugs there ever replied to questions about details. Its some sort of fire and forget, which is not helpful for the mod  developers to find and fix the bug.

EDIT2: There is no section mentioning the license from the mod. And the link for the download is way to small. Had to look for a while to find it.  

Edited by Nils277

19 hours ago, KryoWorks said:

I currently launched a new mod hosting website "Kryoworks.com" with the hopes of making a single place for kerbal mods alone without any other games besides KSP.

I am trying to figure some things out and clarify a few responses I have rescieved about the website. If any mod makers could answer a few questiosn that would be great,

1. Probably not. Unless Curse and SpaceDock went down. Given I am already hosting my mods on those two plus GitHub.
2. Yes. But as I already have 3 sites hosting my mods that's more than enough maintenance overhead.
3. Can't answer that, page fails to load.

Spoiler

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.kryoworks.com.

Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

4. Created, or revived, or taken over: AmpYear, Tarsier Space Technology, KabinKraziness, DeepFreeze, Endurance (Interstellar).
5. Not sure I relate that name to KSP.
6. Nope.
7. Same answer as 3.

1. Maybe, it will suck if I am taking care of my mods over 2 websites IRL

2. See above.

3. Visually appealing but fails to load in a suitable amount of time.

4. See my sig.

5. Don't ask me

6. Depends on the variety of mods. 

7. Nothing I can think of.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.