Consolidated reference on MOD MAKING

engiNERD

I\'ve been looking into mod making for a little while now and just can\'t seem to find a single reference that describes everything needed to make a new part. I\'m hoping everything can be found for free. PLEASE CORRECT MY UNDERSTANDING, but so far I think this is what is needed:

1) Blender - for the actual modelling/texture of the parts

2) Wordpad/text editor - for configuration file

But I\'ve seen some people writing C#, but i believe this is just if you want to write code for plugins? <----_IS THIS CORRECT????

WHAT ELSE IS NEEDED IF THIS IS NOT EVERYTHING YOU NEED? I JUST GRADUATED SCHOOL AND HAVE MORE TIME ON MY HANDS, AND THIS SEEMS TOO COOL TO PASS UP. CAN SOMEONE DESCRIBE HOW TO GO FROM START TO FINISH ON A PROJECT (just which software is needed and a typical development cycle)

Idea: Your Mind

Concepting: Pen and Paper (or wordpad)

Modeling: Any 3D Program (blender is the free one)

Texturing: 3D Program to create UVmap and then a program like Photoshop to 'paint' it.

Importing: Unity & Notepad. Unity is needed for conversion and proper applying the textures to model. Also Creating collider Meshes should be done here. Then you use Notepad to create a part.CFG document so the game recognize is it and what kind of part it is.

For Plugins you indeed something like C#, but I personally leave that to other people. Don\'t ask me about it.

Can you use a CAD program, like Solidworks, to do the 3D? I am very comfortable with Solidworks and the last time I tried blender, it was a wide departure from the interface I\'m comfortable with.

Dani - thanks for the response! I\'m assuming you saw my post on your thread so i really appreciate you givin\' me the low down on how its done. And don\'t worry I won\'t ask about C#, I just graduated college for comp eng, i know C and C++, ill adjust just fine to the new syntax n such.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.