The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

Question for here, but if anyone wished to just PM me, please do so.

My 1.0.5 is stock with the exception of Asteroid Days, of which the telescope itself is not included in 1.1.

So, placing my saves folders (I have three) in "Saves" while working in terms of loading, I cant do anything, because if I go to the VAB I'll get an error about the scope not available to load.

How might I work around this? Looked at the new structure, but ...

Thanks ahead of time.

The 1.1 anouncement felt a bit like "Thank you for wasting all your time on reporting bugs, but we don't care and released anyway"

I've not been on the official development side of things for nearly as long as most of the developers, but it's really amazing how much the folks on this side do care. And the most recent hires have been playing the game and helping on the forums for a very long time (i.e. multiple years).

We are still actively looking at the bugs that were written up in the QA, Experimentals, and Pre-Release trackers. Just because 1.1 was released doesn't mean we've swept all of the remaining issues aside.

As for wheels/landing legs/landing gear (which are all part of the same system now), we know they still need work. There are some known bugs with the Unity version we are using, and as Arsonide said previously, we are doing what we can with KSP to work within the system we currently have. The focus of the update was meant to be performance and UI (with the upgrade to U5), but that also caused issues with the existing 1.0.5 wheel system. We aren't ignoring them, we aren't intending to imply we are ignoring them, and we would certainly like them to be better.

As another note, if you look in my signature...I'm the current maintainer of the Elcano challenge, which is all about doing full planetary/moon circumnavigations with rovers. I've done 11 (Eleven? Really) circumnavigations myself, so I certainly care about how wheels perform.

I'd like to echo again back to my own bug reporting guide (which now needs some updating). The team here does care, and we are certainly working to squish bugs. The best help we can get is for people to be more explicit about what the issue is, which includes handing over logs, saves, and .craft files, as well as step-by-step instructions on how to replicate said problem.

Something like pictures with markings are also incredibly helpful, even when someone might think "oh, this is just a static issue and should be glaringly obvious." A simple case of that was the multitude of writeups about the weird lighting-lines on the KSC buildings. Someone else wrote up a "z-clipping at KSC" issue with two pictures attached and no text (I'm not picking on this issue, just using it as an example). I didn't even bother looking closely at the pictures, because (in the absence of other information) I had assumed it was another lighting-line issue. That's my fault, but it's also important to note that the more time you can save for the developers to see and understand the issue, the less time we have to spend replicating and just trying to understand what the issue is...and more time we can spend on actually fixing things and troubleshooting.

Cheers,
~Claw

6 minutes ago, WooDzor said:

Seems to happen when scaling uiui 100% fixed it for me..  Squad?

It's an issue with scaling the UI the first time. If you start the game and set something like 80% (or 120%), then restart the game, it'll show up properly. So you can use other than 100%, it just needs a restart to properly scale the orbital flags and icons.

5 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

There is no option to turn off updates in Steam that I can see, or am I just missing something? 

No doubt there will be patches coming out, so the "last stable version" will only work for so long.

I think that's what you're looking for.  Then, go into your steam directory, and just copy/paste the Kerbal Space Program directory somewhere else on your hard drive.  The one within Steam will get updated, but you can just use the old executable in the copied location.  Several people do this to keep multiple copies of KSP, actually.

Edited by Korvath85

Thank you SQUAD for making such an amazing game and continuing to put so much effort and hard work into game updates. I'm very excited for 1.1, I will be trying it for the first time tonight.

I was finally able to actually afford KSP and pay SQUAD for their awesome game today. Steam is having a sale for those that're uninformed; KSP is 40% off for the next 48 hours, and I will happily be finally getting my official copy of the game. 

18 minutes ago, Claw said:

It's an issue with scaling the UI the first time. If you start the game and set something like 80% (or 120%), then restart the game, it'll show up properly. So you can use other than 100%, it just needs a restart to properly scale the orbital flags and icons.

Thanks! Will try

5 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Well, same question, why is it so hard to produce an appropriately curved surface so that it is flat in a practical sense?

Obviously, you've never been to Kerbin's polar ice caps.

6 hours ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Two things have always irked me:

1: Me being distracted by something else when the plane spawns, and when I get back to it it's already off the runway, and

2: The pilot leaves the plane to take a surface sample or whatever, and the brakes disengage and the plane starts rolling away and I can't catch it.

Is this even with clicking on the brake icon to toggle them on? I see that as sort of like putting the craft into 'park' or using the handbrake.

Otherwise, try adding landing legs to things if you plan on leaving them alone. Just extend the legs when you park, and retract the wheels. Then do the reverse when you want to set off again.

7 hours ago, Algomeysa said:

Ok, I see what's happened now.   It's more that the saved games have changed slightly in longitude and latitude.     So flags positioned near Easter Eggs are now a bit off.

When I walked the Kerbal over to those coordinates on Duna (30° 20′ 30″ S 28° 48′ 37″ W)

(Again, with Terrain detail set to HIGH from the main menu)

The Mars Curiosity camera is still there.

dunacuriosity11_zpsydto1da1.jpg

I'm glad to see that they are still there.  I haven't seen them in more than a year.  But the reality is that I haven't been looking.  The eggs are fixed and therefore do not scale to the larger versions of the KSP solar system.  You have to be playing play on the stock size (baby kerbin imho) to see them.

Just tried 1.1 for the first time this evening and it is definitely a big improvement over 1.05.

The UI is generally crisper and little things like the component status/control popups not wobbling around is a big plus. On the UI side I think that the only gripe I would have so far is that the attempt to make the various HUD elements more solid looking, a couple of these might have gone a little too far in that direction. In particular the level indicator on the navball and to a lesser extent the staging display, look a little to heavily shadowed to me, but I'm sure they'll grow on me.

But those are really, really small gripes about what I think is an excellent update.

The performance of the game is now significantly better than in 1.05.

As a quick test I launched my most complex vehicle, the 713 part Eve Party Boat and instead of the horrible slide show experience that I had in 1.05 it was a  perfectly reasonable speed of 5 - 10 FPS. The main benefit of this was that the vehicle actually felt controllable in real time, rather than a constant struggle  against the very slow feedback of control inputs I'd had previously.

Almost all the plugins I use (mainly visuals and a few fun items) I found were available in 1.1 compatible versions and they dropped in without a hitch, although I did fire up the game with only half of them updated which had this amusing effect (like an accident in a fireworks factory) in the VAB.

5F2T6g6.png

The only other small problem that I have with the game is something that was present in 1.05, which is that in the VAB I still experience a very brief stutter in the framerate about every 1/2 seconds or so. It's something that I'd gotten used to over time, but had hoped would have disappeared in 1.1

Anyway, those minor issues aside, congratulations Squad with this update, from a fellow games dev :)

30 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Yes, but it would be nice to not get updated at all through steam unless I want to.

That's more an issue with Steam and its update policy than KSP, per se.  They removed the ability to set games to not auto-update some time ago.

Ok, I am not sure if this is a bug or feature that I just have yet to experience until now. Earlier, I was flying a mostly stock craft and when it hit 300m/s, it nearly darted out of focus on the screen. This is the second time it has happened, the first being last night. Once the craft has darted out of the center of the screen in chase mode, it is virtually impossible to refocus the camera on it.  It is also off-centered and makes docking, landing, etc. a bit more difficult than I enjoy.  Anyone else have this issue?

I believe that while you can have Steam not update a game, when Steam gets an update it will set the game back to update as a default. And that seems to happen once a week.

This used to enrage me with Civ 4. If it is possible, I always try to move my games out of the steam folder just because of this.

So. I'm building a Duna Lander and I noticed that I had forgotten a power source on my ship. It uses the 2.5m probe core, so it needs electricity. Anyway, I checked the problem-checker thingy where it points out dumb mistakes we made on our crafts (Engineer's Report) and the only thing it said was that a crew compartment was empty. Is this a bug? I can get a screenshot for proof. 

On 4/19/2016 at 10:13 PM, UmbralRaptor said:

Store version (ignore that this OS can't run the 64bit version for the moment)

64bit1.1.PNG

Had the same issue. Make a clean re-install (backup saves, crafts, screenshots!!).

2 hours ago, Claw said:

I've not been on the official development side of things for nearly as long as most of the developers, but it's really amazing how much the folks on this side do care. And the most recent hires have been playing the game and helping on the forums for a very long time (i.e. multiple years).

We are still actively looking at the bugs that were written up in the QA, Experimentals, and Pre-Release trackers. Just because 1.1 was released doesn't mean we've swept all of the remaining issues aside.

Dude. The problem is not bugs. The problem is that some bugs are serious, like that access-violation-CTD-without-dump issue. You just don't release with such bugs. Why the freaking rush? Even more insulting is that it's done after promises not to repeat "1.0" scenario. To make it a complete sequel, Squad should probably go on vacation (after all that OT which many people, including myself, called a bad idea) and return to fixing this "release" a couple months later. I don't think I'll care two months later and, frankly, I'm not sure if I should continue caring even now. NMS is right around the corner.

And hey, if I knew someone could interpret "z-fighting" as lighting issue or barber-pole shadows or something like that, I would add "look! Flickering green triangle thingamajig" - but I was confident that it's kinda obvious. :D

Edited by J.Random

Pros:

The performance boost is great, especially with multiple craft loaded. 

Cons:

Wheels are now completely bollixed. My craft either flip, shake themselves apart, or refuse to drive. Very disappointing. I know this was a big update, but how was this not caught? If Squad wants to find these sort of issues, they should download and use some of our crafts rather than their own very basic ones.

Also, the game now crashes about once every half hour for me, even fully stock. That is NOT a finished update. That is a buggy pre-release that got rammed through development with major bugs left unfixed.

We've waited a while, Squad. We can wait a few weeks more if it means the update is truly finished rather than using the half-a$$ed, bug-riddled thing we currently have.

Your development process is starting to resemble that of the F-35: build, find out it's still screwed, fix the first issue that pops up, build more before you find and fix the rest, repeat. We all know how successful that development model is.

Knock it off. Do it right.

EDIT: Read about the Unity issues with wheels. I sometimes forget that even the devs are beholden to a higher power. My apologies, Squad. 

However, your release is still incredibly buggy. I expect better. After all, the game is technically "finished."

Edited by kmMango
Criticized without knowing the whole story.

Ignoring the wheels, 1.1 is amazing in what its performance allows.

PWrOY5d.png

Spoiler

But paying attention to the wheels, I made a quick truck, and the wheels wouldn't work despite not being clipped.  I will have to go back and move them even more, and hope that the unity update comes soon to fix the wheels. I do understand that Squad has tried to fix them, and don't specifically blame them. Also, I am yet to experience a crash (I only had one in the VAB in an early build of the pre-release, when playing around with a few parts).

Edited by LaytheDragon

Hello, Just downloaded 1.1 hot off the presses, and could anyone tell me why I am lagging worse in this release than in 1.0.5? Computer specs: Windows 10 64-bit, 1900x1080 TV monitor. Intel graphics. I am getting worse fps in this version. My load times are somehow worse in 1.1.0 than 1.0.5 with mods. The 1.1 is a clean install. I have no idea, but even with all graphics turned to minimum, I still get less FPS than previous. Please if you could help shed some light? I'm sorry, SQUAD, the game is now unplayable. 

-joespeed52

Edited by joespeed1952
Forgot Some things to put in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.