The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

I haven't tested rover wheels yet. My experience with 1.1 so far:

Cons:

• some of my planes that use the small gear are a bit explodey on takeoff and landing. All of them were quickly fixed by placing two of these gears side-by-side for each main gear. No big deal.

Pros:

• this version runs faster with a 150 part craft and EVE and Scatterer installed, than 1.0.5 did with a 50 part craft and no mods. I am absolutely, utterly blown away. The single biggest issue holding me back in KSP used to be the limit on complexity imposed by bad framerates due to high part count. I was hoping for a good deal more performance, but this exceeds my wildest expectations.
  • Sooooo many improvements (map view, part menus that can be pinned, no more flipping through pages of parts in the editor, ...)
  • while I didn't get to test the pre-release, I do get to enjoy a release that has all of my mods working on day one! Yay!

What a fantastic release.

1 hour ago, regex said:

Seriously though, different wheels have different jobs.  Would you expect a 20 ton craft to rest on those tiny little fixed wheels?  Same goes as you scale up.  Either you design wheel placement to handle stresses properly or you play to the wheel's mass limits.

Yes i would. The real life f-4 that my plane is based on weights about 19 tons and the f-22 about 29. I expect those wheels to hold such weights 

After some upgrades, the stock Mallard can be pushed quite hard. I flew a small rover to the desert west of KSC.  Landing took a few tries, but with no runway to force a hasty decision, I finally made a gradual-enough descent, and touched down losing only the lower tailfins. This craft easily made it back to KSC, where I hit a bit harder, crushing the nose gear. 40-50 m/s is a bit too slow for this build, couldn't keep the nose up.

3 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

Yes i would. The real life f-4 that my plane is based on weights about 19 tons and the f-22 about 29. I expect those wheels to hold such weights 

You're not landing on those RL gear though, you're landing on arbitrary gear created for a video game that are designed to have different roles and tradeoffs.  You might want to consider modding gear that would mimmick those on the given aircraft if you want a "replica".  KSP has never been good at making "replicas", though.

Bottom line, use the gear that are made for the mass of the plane.

21 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

XnOBJgA.jpg

Is anyone else having this problem? I was trying to check some settings out and the next thing I know, my plane shoots off the screen - again! When I recenter the screen on the aircraft, it will off-center the craft and it really gets tricky to control. 

Yes, I had a similar thing occur twice. This was with an SSTO rocket. It looked like the CG of the craft (or where the camera thought the CG was) shifted backwards quickly...and then did it again even farther later. I pulled out all my mods and I've been adding them back in a few at a time to see what may be the culprit. So far, it has not happened again.

Edited by Brotoro

1 minute ago, Brotoro said:

Yes, I had a similar thing occur twice. This was with an SSTO rocket. It looked like the CG of the craft (or where the camera thought the CG was) shifted backwards suddenly...and then did it again even farther later. I pulled out all my mods and I've been adding them back in a few at a time to see what may be the culprit. So far, it has not happened again.

I have not had it happen with a rocket; just aircraft. I even played a purely vanilla game and it happened too.  At first I thought it was EVE that caused it...

Is anybody else having issues with the stage lock? Every time I switch to the map view, my stage lock activates and I cannot unlock it. The only way to counter it is to quicksave and quickload. But as soon as I go into the map view, it is locked again. It sucks big time!

/edit: Never mind, it seems to be one of the mods, not the stock game.

Edited by caipi

38 minutes ago, regex said:

You're not landing on those RL gear though, you're landing on arbitrary gear created for a video game that are designed to have different roles and tradeoffs.  You might want to consider modding gear that would mimmick those on the given aircraft if you want a "replica".  KSP has never been good at making "replicas", though.

Bottom line, use the gear that are made for the mass of the plane.

Except i am using the gear they are meant for. 
even the admins have admitted they are too weak

The wheels thing is a colossal let down for me. 
Still the new engine is.. spectacular.

The wheels thing ... yea.

I know it'll get fixed.  But 95% of what I do is winged aircraft and my circumnavigation project which is 95% of that. 

The new engine is a great change though.  And when they fix the wheel problem it'll be a huge boost to my projects.

I just can't really play the game til it is.

I'm sure the "wheel thing" will be fixed as well, but the point stands that KSP's wheels now have mass and impact tolerances that must be played to.  You can't simply use any wheel you want on whatever craft you want, and even if those limits are increased you'll still have limits.

Welcome to 1.1.

The small wheels I interpret to be suitable for a business jet (5t or so), something like the Learjet or a Citation IRL, which you'd replicate using a pair of Juno. Maybe you could launch a small SSTO, though you would have to land with empty tanks.

It bugged me that in prior versions you could use a tripod of small landing gear to handle a Minmus-and-back 200-passenger plane. Glad to see that fixed.

I've been goofing around with 1.1, and in the campaign game I'm playing right now my craft requires a lot of fuel transferring. I noticed that fuel transfer has changed a bit from 1.05. The change I noticed right away way that fuel keeps transferring  when you switch to map mode. This I didn't mind so much, infact I like that addition.

Where it gets strange is when the tank you are filling gets full. Before it would kick off all the tanks that where draining. Now, if you are burning an engine, it keep filling, but only from the last 2 tanks that you selected. Even then it doesn't drain evenly, the last tank drains faster than the second to last. This can lead to an un-balanced condition and an un-controllable craft. Which can be fatal when trying to land......

Of course you can work around this by selecting tanks from alternating sides of the craft, or turning off fuel transfer when the main tank is full. And I don't think It quite rises to the level of "bug", but It's something that can jump up and bite you in the butt.  

Wow - great job Squad!

It finally occurred to me to actually try out your "new" tutorials, and oh wow was it helpful.

Learned stuff about ascending and descending nodes I knew nothing about, which should make lining up rescues in the future, much easier. Still not sure I'm doing the actual intercept in the most efficient way, but the really nice thing about the tutorial is that it gives you a reliable, repeatable method, that works. Mun lander modules here I come! :)

I am having a few issues getting these suckers lined up to actually dock tho....

Spoiler

I think the devs would agree that fuel transfers are supposed to automatically shut off when the fuel flow goes to 0. So that part may be a bug.

But yes, there is obviously a special case there when an engine or fuel cell is running, so the fuel flow never does go to 0. If I was programming it, I'm really not sure what the proper behavior should be in that case, truly.

Hi all, 

So i found that when I brought a craft into 1.1 it would yaw all over the runway on take off, when in 1.0.5 would just stay straight on the runway. This is due to the new friction controls on the wheels allowing the wheels to slip sideways as well as back and forth. However this is not a bad thing you just need to change the friction setting and for craft with large landing gear it can make steering possible and easier.

For a more indepth explanation I made a video here 

Edited by Angelus2141
embed rather than link

For the Windows version (I don't know if the OSX or Linux installs are any different), it should be in the KSP_win folder, along with the 32 bit version. Simply run the KSP _x64 application to play it.

1 hour ago, regex said:

No, OP is talking about uneven fuel transfer from two tanks into one, where you select all three and hit "In" on one of the tanks.  I've seen the same thing myself.

Can confirm, happened to me. Modded install with cryo engines (LH2/O fuel). Core tank with 2 more tanks fueling into the core, all same size. Was on map view during burn and wondered why nothing happened, when I looked my ship was just tumbling and the fuel completely uneven, with one side tank being drained before the other.

Edited by Temeter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.