The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

Fairings are separating  with a slightly rotation at the base and not parallel ( is this by design? ), I suspect this is due to a colission happening at the base of fairing, what is your experience? Also sometime during separation they destroy termal panels or solar panels

I'll upload shortly a video to better explain what I am seeing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbf2SDZSUBI&feature=youtu.be

Edited by brusura
updated with video

With regard to the changes in wheels...

I think it would be very helpful if the maximum weight/load limits were clear on the part description.  This would help with gear selection during design.

Also how about a KSPedia page on what all the options and setting do and what effect they have, and maybe hints on what settings may be best for which situations.

9 minutes ago, pandaman said:

I think it would be very helpful if the maximum weight/load limits were clear on the part description.  This would help with gear selection during design.

The weight limits are a bit nebulous because they depend on thing like downforce and suspension travel but, yes, I agree, having recommended weight limits for wheels would be excellent.

For me, the editor is the most problematic. On 32x it stutters a lot (an issue I don't have in flight), and on 64x it crashes. In fact, despite the claim of stable 64 bit, it still crashes more often for me. Try using 32 bit, see if you still get the crashes or not.

-From, a potato user.

P.S. these tests were preformed with several hundred part behemoths.

Edited by FungusForge

Did you follow the exact same reentry angle on the second attempt? It's possible (at least in theory, someone better versed in KSP physics can confirm or deny) that you were going too fast for the angle you re-entered at and, as a result, you 'skipped' off of the atmosphere. In other words, you didn't burn enough speed so, although your orbit was reshaped by your maneuver, it was not reshaped sufficiently to remain within the atmosphere of Kerbin and direct you towards the ground. At least in theory, every spacecraft has an optimal atmospheric entry corridor, come in too steep and you're screwed, too shallow and your drag will be insufficient to keep you within the atmosphere, here's a diagram to give you the general concept:

corridor.jpg

Note how the reentry attempt with insufficient drag begins gaining distance from the Earth as it speeds past. I don't see any reason why this diagram shouldn't apply to KSP flight so my gut instinct is that you simply missed the mark the first time around and overshot your entry corridor.

Edited by Fallarnon

Noticed that after 1.1 when i landed on Minmus that the landing struts clipped throu the terrain when they did not use to do it. (also slid on the terrain for a bit before comming to a stop) the LT-05 did not clip throu tho 

the LT-01 and LT-02 does. they did not do this a week ago. (at least not to this extent) and did not slide around like everything was polished ice. (im aware that the pic is from mun but the same applies)6Rv7hdh.jpg1Qu8xNI.jpg

SkCcDH5.jpg

Well, it's really best to confirm bugs somehow, rather than just to post them willy-nilly. And you need to get an account in the bugtracker before you can do it anyway.

@OP: a form of the bug you are describing has been seen before, but it was always linked with retracting the vehicle's landing legs. Did you do that?

On 20.4.2016 at 3:12 AM, kithylin said:

Yeah.. for some reason my delete button wasn't working in windows, even in notepad, no idea why. I've rebooted and it works now. So was just a local problem with me and my dumb computer being stupid as usual.

I have the same problem, will try the restart thing when I come home this afternoon.

So far I tried to check the keybinding in the settings menu, but there is no keybinding for deleting parts (don't know if there ever was).

I also had a problem with the "Intermediate construction" tutorial. When we came to the point where I was told to look at the goo container I did but the Next button stayed grayed out. The instruction just says to open the Sciences parts and look at the goo container. I looked at it (with a very strong stare) showed it's details, added it to the rocket, but nothing made the Next button go active. Even after a restart of the game this tutorial is stuck. (Windows 8, KSP_x64.exe)

I find it hard to find things in the bugtracker lately. I got a couple of duplicated bugs because the tracker did not find results for my searches.

Anyway, a small workaround for the service bay issue is to wiggle the craft with asdw a bit, that seems to cool the parts down.

13 hours ago, DonaldPK51 said:

My Mun and Minmus bases are "parked" at the correct height, but the landing struts are sunk into the ground. Also, my flags fall over when I enter physics. Anyone else got these issues?

I don't think any of the landing struts are working right at the moment. All of them seem to sink into the surface or crush to their minimum height and there are issues with the foot pad position of the LT-1 and LT-2 struts when they're started in the retracted position.

7 hours ago, shibdib said:

So is it worth playing right now or wait for 1.1.1?

It's definitely worth trying right now.  How you play KSP will determine how badly you will be affected by the outstanding issues, especially the ones with the UI text and element sizing, wheels, and landing struts.  But there's a lot of little improvements you'll want to explore.  And you can also get the upgraded versions of whatever mods you use.

Just be sure to back up your games.  And 'ware the Kraken.

Edited by Jacke

3 hours ago, bewing said:

Well, it's really best to confirm bugs somehow, rather than just to post them willy-nilly.

I agree, we should discuss bugs and ideally get someone else to confirm them before flinging things into the tracker and overloading the poor devs!

1 hour ago, shibdib said:

So is it worth playing right now or wait for 1.1.1?

Probably not worth starting any new career games, but fun to play around in sandbox. I'm waiting for 1.1.x before embarking on a new epic career game.

1 hour ago, Kiro said:

Probably not worth starting any new career games, but fun to play around in sandbox. I'm waiting for 1.1.x before embarking on a new epic career game.

Actually I would wholeheartedly disagree with this. Career mode is actually your best bet right now. Most of the current issues are with wheels and landing legs which you can't even get in career mode for a while. 

I started a new career mode game as soon as the patch went live and been having a blast. I probably have about 25 hours into it now and had only one crash and the only bugs I have noticed so far are with the mods I am using (and looking at my log file I think a mod caused the crash).

1 minute ago, Basto said:

Most of the current issues are with wheels and landing legs which you can't even get in career mode for a while.

No kidding, I've yet to land any aircraft without explosions (even at ~55m/s 0.5m/s vert.) Landing gear are pretty much unusable for the advertised purpose, so much so that it aborted my attempt at a "planes first" career. :mad:

Are the landing gear going to be changed at all?

I want to start a new save but I do not want to play with 1.1's gear as it is. Would like some idea of if/when it's fixed so I know whether it'll be 1.0.5 or 1.1 that I play with.

Edited by Senpai
because I want to

17 minutes ago, steve_v said:

No kidding, I've yet to land any aircraft without explosions (even at ~55m/s 0.5m/s vert.) Landing gear are pretty much unusable for the advertised purpose, so much so that it aborted my attempt at a "planes first" career. :mad:

What is your pitch angle at landing?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.