The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

So I just tried reentering with the doors closed on the science jr and...I got a lot further into the atmosphere before it suddenly exploded again. This time, I had no overheating bars on the part until about a second before it blew up.

Yes, I have also tried the "adsw wiggle", even prior to opening this topic. It did not help either.

Just now, EivlEvo said:

Lesigh.

Had my base finally setup. Got my plane there. Science lab. Mining stuff. The whole nine. Of course the first time I loaded it... it's sliding (on the slightest... maybe 2 degree incline) nbd. Pack the drills up, and move it to a more level surface. Switch over to my Duna plane, fly it back to the Duna base, and dock it. Well. This caused it to do a crack the whip type ripple, and blew all the tires on the science half of the base and 2 of my gigantor solar panels just fell off.

Not really sure if these are bugs or what tbh. Not even sure why I'm posting other than to whine. Probably time to burn and rebuild it seems. Be a good time to rotate the crew out anyway.

Bugs mate, as Foxster said leave it be and come back after the bugs are fixed. And you are right to 'whine'. The game is past 1.0 release, saves/craft should not be broken.

I'm also having reentry problems. Not sure if it's a bug or working as intended. I assume with the new physics engine this is all working as intended.

My reentry capsules seem to be coming in with much more velocity. 

I was having the issue you're having only with goo canisters blowing off. The solution was to put them in a parts bay underneath the craft. Haven't had problems with the parts bay or a science junior under my reentry capsule though. I have had problems aerobraking larger reentry capsules... velocity at about 1000 meters is just above parachute threshold.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

So I just tried reentering with the doors closed on the science jr and...I got a lot further into the atmosphere before it suddenly exploded again. This time, I had no overheating bars on the part until about a second before it blew up.

Yes, I have also tried the "adsw wiggle", even prior to opening this topic. It did not help either.

Strange... Are you entering in exactly retrograde?  

I have been running this exact config for my whole 1.1 career and have yet to have a problem. I have probably 20-25 re entries and a few from AP of 300km +. As long as I close the doors and keep a strict retrograde reentry I have no problem. 

12 minutes ago, Foxster said:

A lateral solution would be to re-design the craft so you can collect the science from the science jr with an EVA and dump the science junior before re-entry.  

Although then you can't use it to get the science at the biome you land in. 

A little context might help. I'm doing this as a career game in stock (no mods). This is the second flight of my career game.

My first flight is just a MK1 capsule with parachute and 3 goo canisters on top of a flea. I shoot it up to about 7.5km and splash down in the drink east of KSP. I've noticed that in 1.1, this mission nets me 49 science, whereas the same mission got me 52 science in 1.0.5. So, something changed there too, but I'm not going to crab about 3 science points. Using the funds and science I got from mission 1 allows me to upgrade the launch pad and open up a few more nodes of the tech tree.

My second flight is this craft. I boost it up to an eccentric orbit with an apoapsis of around 255km and a periapsis just above 70km. That way, I can hit the "high above Kerbin" biome and get science from up there. Then I lower my periapsis down to about 40km and re-enter. Again, never had an issue with this mission prior to 1.1. Now, I can't re-enter without my science jr blowing up. I tried closing the doors; didn't help. I tried wiggling the craft; didn't help either. Tried both; still no luck.

3 minutes ago, Basto said:

Although then you can't use it to get the science at the biome you land in. 

True but the science from a Kerbin biome tends to be relatively low compared to, say, from orbit or the Mun. 

3 minutes ago, Foxster said:

True but the science from a Kerbin biome tends to be relatively low compared to, say, from orbit or the Mun. 

Also true, but then you only get to perform those experiments (with a Science Jr.) once in orbit or above the Mun, while each biome represents a different return.  In the early game, you have to take what you can get to.  

Slightly off topic...

After seeing posts on the forum that 1.1 was officially released, I immediately downloaded it as well as mods that were offered on CKAN.  After playing around with it for about half an hour, I decided that I did not like how it was operating(even though I was enjoying the new features) and immediately reverted back to my 1.05 save with all the mods(I always save the whole copy of the previous KSP with its mods and save file if I feel like continuing an older version for any reason).  

I had not tested re-entry, nor have I tested out high part count for its non drop in FPS, however I am familiar with 1.0.5's bugs and how to get around it.   I will be waiting a few weeks to officially start playing 1.1 untill more of the bugs have been fixed and more mods have been added.  

BTW, I have always thought that RV was short for recreation vehicle and used in this forum to designate a craft which had very bad aerodynamics and therefore high drag.  It was not untill Bwing's post that I realized it was just short for return vehicle. 

Whether or not it is a bug, 40km is an awful shallow re-entry.   If you come in that shallow you spend and extended amount of time under extreme heat.  If you come in a little steeper, you will enter the thick atmosphere and slow down a lot faster.  In this case you get a lot more heat, for a shorter duration.  Set your Pe to 5-10km.

KSP 1.1 64bit sucks. It literally has more fps, but sometimes upon separation, the game suddenly freezes and the "KSP_x64.exe stopped responding" window pops up.

AND in the log, the game does not "remember" the separation what caused the freeze.

In 32bit, i got 1 crash, (KSP crash), but only 1 of these stopped responding crashes.

On 64bit, i lost count of these freezecrashes

EDIT: Have a screenshot (it is in german, but a windows user gets the drill)

http://imgur.com/edHYvMP

Edited by OndrikB

4 hours ago, Basto said:

Actually I would wholeheartedly disagree with this. Career mode is actually your best bet right now. Most of the current issues are with wheels and landing legs which you can't even get in career mode for a while. 

I started a new career mode game as soon as the patch went live and been having a blast. I probably have about 25 hours into it now and had only one crash and the only bugs I have noticed so far are with the mods I am using (and looking at my log file I think a mod caused the crash).

I usually get the basic wheels unlocked before i even go sub-orbital. This lets me build a cheap rover to gather science from KSC. using the same design I always use I couldn't even drive it off the runway at 8m/s without the front wheels exploding. :) Also, even with the brakes on the thing still moves..

because of this is am not yet starting my new career just yet!

11 hours ago, Tabal said:

Noticed that after 1.1 when i landed on Minmus that the landing struts clipped throu the terrain when they did not use to do it. (also slid on the terrain for a bit before comming to a stop) the LT-05 did not clip throu tho 

the LT-01 and LT-02 does. they did not do this a week ago. (at least not to this extent) and did not slide around like everything was polished ice. (im aware that the pic is from mun but the same applies)

In another thread someone from Squad posted that this is an issue with the animation not reflecting the status of the collider. 

The leg displays as fully extended ('Natural Position') even though the suspension is somewhat shorter due to the weight on the system.

The actual wheel colliders(which landing legs *do* have) are on the surface, there is just no displayed graphic showing this to be the case.

Back in the pre-1.0 days, it was very handy to memorize the list of optimal Goddard speed / altitude combinations for launching rockets, so not to waste delta-V fighting drag / gravity.  With the new 1.1 aero, is there any easy-to-follow launch speed/throttle advice?

On my ongoing issue, I have found that the craft shoots out of the center of the screen when I scroll either in or out, or pan to a different angle. At that point, the game will gradually move the craft from center of view and it is like trying to fly the craft at the end of a stick... rather than the way it normally behaves. It does it in vanilla or with mods..

The LY-01 and LY-05 landing gears are barely usable. It took me around 20 tries to land a plane on them until I realized how slow you need to be going. If you are willing to spam wings on your plane, then it is possible, but I was wondering what other people think of this?

For me, the problem is that they make the plane wobble left and right when going any faster than 30 m/s on the ground. Is this the way the are meant to work, or is there something wrong?

Edited by MajorNr01

5 hours ago, steve_v said:

Last time, about 5°. The aircraft in question is a taildragger, as light as I can build with the mk1 cockpit and fixed gear, so it's always coming down on the main wheels first anyway.

On the odd occasion I get it on the deck without the gear exploding (<1m/s vertical seems to do it), it goes into a drunken sway and rolls over (suspension enabled) or bounces, then rocks, then spins out (suspension disabled). Using the Lvl 1 runway with the apropriate (early) tech unlocked is suicide.

Hell, even takeoff is a 50/50 as to whether the gear explodes from "overstress", and if you surive that it's 50/50 whether you get off the ground before the suspension sway takes the wings off. :mad:

This shouldn't have been let out of prerelease. Landing gear are totally broken, wheels and landing legs almost as much. Sounds like a case of "this bug too hard, screw it" to me.

This is very odd to me. I have created 3 planes in 1.1 and taken them off and landed them multiple times without having any gear break or suspension weirdness, including two emergency landings on hills. One plane used the 3 wheel landing gear and one plane used the 2 wheel landing gear with single wheel nose gear. I had noticed some sway in one design on takeoff but quickly realized it was the suspension trying to compensate for other bendy parts of the craft. A few struts fixed this right up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.