The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

Performance seems to be better for the most part, though I've had the game crash a couple times.  UI changes were somewhat mixed.  Some things like the navball are a bit too big, but I do like the new orbit lines.  The buttons for each building at the KSC and better tutorials came too late to really be helpful for me, but I'm sure they'll be a good thing for new players.  I'll assume that the crashes and the wheel bugs will be fixed soon, so assuming they are, I'll give this update overall a "good" rating.  By itself, this update didn't really change much for me, aside from a few minor quality of life things, but it wasn't really intended to and I can see that the engine upgrade gives a lot more future potential.

1 minute ago, Hodari said:

Performance seems to be better for the most part, though I've had the game crash a couple times.  UI changes were somewhat mixed.  Some things like the navball are a bit too big, but I do like the new orbit lines.  The buttons for each building at the KSC and better tutorials came too late to really be helpful for me, but I'm sure they'll be a good thing for new players.  I'll assume that the crashes and the wheel bugs will be fixed soon, so assuming they are, I'll give this update overall a "good" rating.  By itself, this update didn't really change much for me, aside from a few minor quality of life things, but it wasn't really intended to and I can see that the engine upgrade gives a lot more future potential.

I pretty much feel the same way.

I was worried that Squad had "addressed" what some players regard to be a minor bug in the staging Reset button's workings.
But I'm happy to report that I can still rely on KSP to put my only parachute in the same stage along with my only engine.

In many ways it is like that comfy old pair of loafers with the hole where your fungus-infected toenail has worn away a seam in the leather.
When you look down to admire the loafers and reminisce about the good times, you're reminded of a horrible pain every time you stand up.

I'm not even really complaining.  I like the new performance benefits because I can get back from the incandescent wreckage on the launchpad to the VAB about 3 times faster now so I can use a sane staging arrangement instead.

All,

For those of you who are having issues with aircraft swerving out of control during the takeoff run, make sure that the landing gear aren't mounted backwards. I was able to fix this issue for another member by reattaching the gear with correct orientation.

The pointy end of the fairing is the back on the fixed gear, so on this example:

0UnZDBH.png

The nose gear is correct, but the main gear are backwards.

Best,
-Slashy

The rover wheel settings I use that achieves good handling for ordinary 4-wheel rovers ...

Front wheels: Friction Control at auto (default) and Traction Control to 0.

Rear wheels: Friction control to 5.0 (max) and Traction Control to 0 and disable steering. 

It might not be perfect but it's easy to remember and implement and does seem to make most rovers driveable. 

(It is odd that this discussion will be buried in this one huge thread where we are now supposed to discuss everything to do with the currently released version of the game). 

Edited by Foxster

Has the ability to rename in the Tracking Station view been removed?

It no longer works for me, has anyone else noticed this, and/or is there a setting somewhere to fix it?  This is a surprisingly handy, albeit relatively insignificant, feature which I found jolly useful.

4 minutes ago, pandaman said:

Has the ability to rename in the Tracking Station view been removed?

I was able to during the pre-release but I can't remember how, pretty obscure UI feature.

2 hours ago, pandaman said:

This is a surprisingly handy, albeit relatively insignificant, feature which I found jolly useful.

Not insignificant! It was the only way to rename a probe as debris after the batteries run out and you lose control of it.

2 hours ago, regex said:

I was able to during the pre-release but I can't remember how, pretty obscure UI feature.

Eh. Right, pretty obscure. I was gonna reply "oh, just click X" and I forgot what X was.

edit - Works as usual. You click the "i" button on the app bar, then on the ship's name.

edit 2 - Oh, no! It's not as usual, you now double click. My mouse is just dying of old age, and clicks register as double sometimes :rolleyes:

Edited by monstah

3 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

All,

For those of you who are having issues with aircraft swerving out of control during the takeoff run, make sure that the landing gear aren't mounted backwards. I was able to fix this issue for another member by reattaching the gear with correct orientation.

The pointy end of the fairing is the back on the fixed gear, so on this example:

0UnZDBH.png

The nose gear is correct, but the main gear are backwards.

Best,
-Slashy

How the heck did I manage that... I could swear they were pointed the right way when I was working on it. Regardless, it flew perfectly fine in testing. Good tip though! :)

Edit: I've repaired the issue in the Cardinal I craft file on KerbalX, sorry about that folks! :) Best I can figure I pulled them to reposition from the wrong side :P

Edited by Fallarnon

Quick question regarding the aerodynamics.

I had a lightweight, twin-engined tailless aircraft with no horizontal tail surfaces, and standard canards ahead of the wing. I am AFK, so I can't post the craft, but it basically looks like China's J-20 fighter jet. In 1.0.5 it could easily break Mach 1 at 1000 m, as it has a TWR of ~1.35.

I have another smaller aircraft without canards with slightly worse acceleration (looks like an F-16). It can now break Mach at sea level, while my J-20 lookalike can barely do so at 3 km despite having a better TWR and only being 1 meter wider than the F-16. 

What gives? Do canards now add a ton of drag? The J-20 has a medium landing gear on it, could that be slowing it down? It also has a decoupler and chutes behind the cockpit for crash survival, if that helps.

Underwater bug? 

I encountered an odd thing that didn't happen in 1.0.5.  Is anyone else noticing it before I report it as a bug?

I dropped some probes in Kerbin's deep ocean areas and they came to rest on the seabed as expected.   The deeper ones (seems to be the ones over 1000m deep) start to descend below the seabed when activated.  Because they then count as 'moving over the surface' the only way to switch away is to go back to the space centre.  Then, when I go back to it, it starts at its original 'on seabed' depth and falls through the seabed again.

It seems to be restricted to deeper depths and I've also noticed that the visuals of the seabed disappear that far down too so I wondered if the two were linked.

2 minutes ago, 299792458 m/s said:

I'm pretty sure other people have this and know how to fix it. Just a quick question. How do you make the navball smaller? I'm sure since the update it got bigger, so did the portraits. Just wondering if anybody knows how to make it smaller.

You want sarbian's mod MakeItSmall.  Now with Navball sliding-to-the-side in version 1.2.0.0! :)

4 hours ago, monstah said:

edit 2 - Oh, no! It's not as usual, you now double click. My mouse is just dying of old age, and clicks register as double sometimes :rolleyes:

Ah, that explains it.  I noticed that it seemed "glitchy" before, but that's why - it was only responding when I was fast enough to simulate a double click heh.

1 hour ago, 299792458 m/s said:

I'm pretty sure other people have this and know how to fix it. Just a quick question. How do you make the navball smaller? I'm sure since the update it got bigger, so did the portraits. Just wondering if anybody knows how to make it smaller.

In addition to the previously mentioned mod, I think a SQUAD employee has mentioned that setting UI size to 80 percent fixes it. I might be wrong though.

41 minutes ago, KerbalSaver said:

In addition to the previously mentioned mod, I think a SQUAD employee has mentioned that setting UI size to 80 percent fixes it. I might be wrong though.

The problem with stock UI scaling is it's one coarse setting (only has 80%, 90%, 100%, 110%, 120%) that rescales all features of all UI's, in flight and the editors.

If the navball's too big, it helps to be able to scale the navball independently and not have to compromise.  I find the spacecraft title name text too small in the VAB, but the stock UI scaling can't help me because to fix the font size of that text then makes everything else too large.

Edited by Jacke

27 minutes ago, KerbalSaver said:

Apparently that also reduces the text size. While it may shrink the navball to acceptable sizes, it renders any text unreadable. 4K monitors seem to be a thing, these days, apparently (because on a 1080 monitor none of these issues are issues, as far as I know).

1 minute ago, Kerbart said:

Apparently that [ stock UI scale setting ] also reduces the text size. While it may shrink the navball to acceptable sizes, it renders any text unreadable. 4K monitors seem to be a thing, these days, apparently (because on a 1080 monitor none of these issues are issues, as far as I know).

I have a 24in 1920x1080 BenQ LED monitor with darn good image quality.  I find most of the UI elements not overly large and I like the increase of size of the control needles display in the lower left of flight mode, making it now legible.  But to fix the too-small text font in the editor UI's, even setting the stock UI scale to 110% makes everything else too large.

I previously used the mod Enhanced Navball to slide the navball off to the left, as well as to scale it up for more exacting control on manual landings.  I'm glad that @sarbian has incorporated those features in his mod MakeItSmall,

Having just 1 UI scaling item with only 5 settings (80%, 90%, 100%, 110%, 120%) can't possibly work in all cases for all players.  Giving too many knobs to fiddle has its own issues, but we need more than that.

19 minutes ago, emesis76 said:

I trust the new update works well ... for ... someone .... out...there ...

game crashes for me, cant play  :-(

Emesis76,

When I first upgraded, my game kept crashing as well.  Sometimes it wouldn't even load.

I did a fresh install and reloaded only mods that have upgraded to 1.1.

Haven't had a problem since.

I feel your pain.

MM

On 4/23/2016 at 6:18 PM, mcirish3 said:

Hmm.  I find the idea that different PC rigs have different physics interesting.  I wonder if the variation is due to various operating systems.

21 hours ago, Jetski said:

@GoSlash27 Same problem here.  A very basic science rover (not even trying to fly) jitters and explodes no matter what I do.  It's just a cockpit, a sci Jr, and a fuel tank.  I attach the LY-01 wheels to it, it skitters around and cannot be stopped or controlled.  Brakes are useless.

Screenshots are a lousy way to show this, video would be better, but you can see the rover has moved.  Jeb EVAd and was thrown into the air.  If this is done on the starting runway, I explode quite quickly.

[...]

So it seems that, depending on the rig, there are three kinds of wheels:

1. Works fine, sometimes breaks too easily.
  2. Clips into the ground, explodes, phantom forces
  3. Suspension develops a "shimmy" motion while rolling.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.