The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

6 hours ago, Fallarnon said:

How the heck did I manage that... I could swear they were pointed the right way when I was working on it. Regardless, it flew perfectly fine in testing. Good tip though! :)

Edit: I've repaired the issue in the Cardinal I craft file on KerbalX, sorry about that folks! :) Best I can figure I pulled them to reposition from the wrong side :P

Fallarnon,

I don't think this is an error on your part. I noticed the same thing with one of my test rigs. I *know* I built it with the gear pointed the right way, but somewhere along the way they got reversed. I've also noticed this with tailplanes; any attempt to move them results in their getting attached to the opposite side of the parent part. Pitch is correct, but roll is backwards.

It seems we've got some new gremlins in the SPH.

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

I have a 24in 1920x1080 BenQ LED monitor with darn good image quality.  I find most of the UI elements not overly large and I like the increase of size of the control needles display in the lower left of flight mode, making it now legible.  But to fix the too-small text font in the editor UI's, even setting the stock UI scale to 110% makes everything else too large.

(...)

Having just 1 UI scaling item with only 5 settings (80%, 90%, 100%, 110%, 120%) can't possibly work in all cases for all players.  Giving too many knobs to fiddle has its own issues, but we need more than that.

I have a cheapo Samsung 24" monitor. Everything is about as perfectly sized as my (mid-life) eyeballs wish it.

Too big, too small... the real issue is that text size and widget size cannot be set independently.  Allow text scaling independent from navball/altimeter size and I'm pretty sure everyone will be happy. (Except [####] but he always complains).

3 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

Fallarnon,

I don't think this is an error on your part. I noticed the same thing with one of my test rigs. I *know* I built it with the gear pointed the right way, but somewhere along the way they got reversed. I've also noticed this with tailplanes; any attempt to move them results in their getting attached to the opposite side of the parent part. Pitch is correct, but roll is backwards.

It seems we've got some new gremlins in the SPH.

Best,
-Slashy

Based on what I observed, I have to agree. I was messing around with the SPH today in my new career mod with GAP and I watched carefully as I rotated the fixed gear around. It's weird, it flipped around on its own as soon as I got it straight, and placing it on the opposite side of the craft didn't seem to be helping matters at all. :S

2 hours ago, Sharkman Briton said:

I can't even make a plane without the game crashing. Fix the darn game.

Maybe if you could give a lot more details, and perhaps do a proper bug report, it would help isolate the issue and therfore help Squad to find a solution.

I've not had any real issues myself yet, other than needing to adjust to the way things work now.  Change the gear I used where the part model changed etc. and a few alignment and positioning tweaks.

I've not had any game crashes yet.

So I heard a lot of people saying that improvements had been made to the performance of the game, and I decided to try it again.   Constant crashes in the VAB/SPH,  I can't get more than a couple parts into building something before a crash kills it, literally unplayable.   

12 minutes ago, Inslaveree said:

Anyone else having problems getting planes off of the runway?
It VERY well could be my plane building that's the problem.

Wheel physics are radically different. Quite fiddly but it's still doable. Try smaller planes with bigger wheels. Failing that you'll have to post pics of aircraft.

16 minutes ago, Lord_Stimpy said:

So I heard a lot of people saying that improvements had been made to the performance of the game, and I decided to try it again.   Constant crashes in the VAB/SPH,  I can't get more than a couple parts into building something before a crash kills it, literally unplayable.   

Same here, Squad needs to get a hotfix out so the game is actually playable. No point making a performance improvement if you can't even make a rocket or plane to experience the improved fps with.

8 minutes ago, Sharkman Briton said:

Same here, Squad needs to get a hotfix out so the game is actually playable. No point making a performance improvement if you can't even make a rocket or plane to experience the improved fps with.

After a bit of fiddling I've been able to replicate the crash, it seems if you try and grab a part thats free floating in the VAB/SPH while its partially 'behind'  the parts menu, ksp locks up and crashes. 

25 minutes ago, Senpai said:

Wheel physics are radically different. Quite fiddly but it's still doable. Try smaller planes with bigger wheels. Failing that you'll have to post pics of aircraft.

Was my design, thanks though. I have had a few crashing problems but not many. After installing Scatterer, EVE, SVE, and KER I'm set!!

Edited by Inslaveree
words

10 minutes ago, Lord_Stimpy said:

After a bit of fiddling I've been able to replicate the crash, it seems if you try and grab a part thats free floating in the VAB/SPH while its partially 'behind'  the parts menu, ksp locks up and crashes. 

Ah, I see. Send the devs a PM and hopefully they will release a hotfix. Thanks for taking the time to replicate a crash +1

@regex and @Fallarnon:

I've found the issue that causes the craft in flight to speed out of the center of the chase camera's field of vision - and I have isolated it to one of three things. Firstly, I was one that downloaded the pre-release of 1.1 for testing. Once 1.1 was released I simply allowed STEAM to do its thing and automatically update the game's files. Last night I made a copy of KSP in a separate folder on a separate drive. I then deleted KSP through STEAM to learn that the uninstall mode in STEAM does not completely delete the game's local data. When I loaded the game, I discovered that everything was right where it had been before I uninstalled the game - including the mods.

I then deleted it again through STEAM and then went into File Manager, saw the KSP folder was still in the STEAM commons folder, and simply did a delete from there... game totally gone and all the mods too (this is exactly what I wanted!). I then did a complete reinstall of KSP, them played on it for nearly an hour with no repeat of the issue. I then installed Module Manager, CKAN, and the rest of the mods available that I play with one by one... and that is when I discovered...

Two of the mods, Lack's STX+ and Aviation Lights, both caused the problem together. Neither mod has been updated or released, although Lack has a work in progress download available. The Aviation Lights mod's status is something I am unaware of... Anyhow, both these mods SEPARATELY cause the issue I described, I also went and cloned another copy of the 1.1 I had on the separate drive - the one that was simply the write-over of the pre-release, removed all the mods from it and tested it. The 1.1 release that was the write-over of the pre-release also had this issue of the craft flying out of the center of the field of vision, but very slightly. When you take that, then add the other two mods that were also causing the same issue in 1.1, it explains how I was encountering the problem. So, in short, here's a few suggestions for those of you having problems with 1.1:

1. Make a copy of your GameData folder and set to the side.
  2. Make a copy of your SavedGames folder and set to the side.
  3. COMPLETELY DELETE KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM folder from your computer. If you are using STEAM, delete it through there and then go delete the folder through File Manager.
  4. Reinstall Kerbal Steam Program and play in vanilla mode. I bet a majority of the issues (sans the wheel problem) will disappear.
  5. If you use CKAN, install it first, then install mods from the list. If you do not use CKAN and manually install your mods, make sure that they are listed as 1.1 ready - even if only a parts pack.
  6. Do not install mods that are not 1.1 compatible or are considered as a work in progress. They will cause issues or contribute more complexity to issues that already exist.

I hope this saves someone else the hassles and problems I had.

mN2hKsk.png?1

8 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Two of the mods, Lack's STX+ and Aviation Lights, both caused the problem [ flying aircraft leaving centre of view ] together. Neither mod has been updated or released, although Lack has a work in progress download available. The Aviation Lights mod's status is something I am unaware of... Anyhow, both these mods SEPARATELY cause the issue I described....

@adsii1970, can you confirm that the Aviation Lights version you used was @MOARdV's recompile he posted in the Aviation Lights topic here.

Or was it an older version of Aviation Lights?

6 hours ago, RCgothic said:

So apparently I missed the update to inflict reputation penalties for declining contracts due to sandboxing for 1.0.5. I'd been wondering why my reputation was going negative my new career game. :mad:

Ya I turn that off.  It is annoying to have to make your rep go negative to have the contract system give you mission you actually want to do.

14 hours ago, Renegrade said:

Ah, that explains it.  I noticed that it seemed "glitchy" before, but that's why - it was only responding when I was fast enough to simulate a double click heh.

*click*

*wait*

*click*

*wait*

*click*

*click*

*CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK*

I rarely participate over the forum, but i'm playing KSP since 0.18

I must say that it was surprising to have 60fps and green MET on the launch pad with a 30parts rocket, when I was used to 25fps with yellow MET during 1.0.5.

The 64bit version is awesome, it does crash from time to time, but way less than the version before if you were not using openGL.

I wish we had more gameplay addition, but it's being picky, the under the hood upgrade is so awesome that I enjoy playing KSP again, when it was just a PITA to do launch anything over 100parts.

37 minutes ago, FS3D said:

I don't suppose there's an appropriate method of reporting bugs that I can use, is there?

I've come across a couple I'd like to report that I have yet to see anywhere else.

Use the bug tracker - http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/projects/ksp/issues (you'll need to sign up).
BUT; have a really good search in there before posting (http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/projects/ksp/search

14 hours ago, skalthoff said:

Does any one know why 1.1 for mac is so crashy. it seems like its still in prerealese

I a on OS X and I my experience has been completely different. The game behaves beautifully, and I am currently playing wit a heavily modded install, ( over 60 mods)

An observation/theory with regard to landing gear issues...

One thing that may be making aircraft wander about on the runway more could be connected to the suspension and how it behaves when attached to parts that can flex, like wings for example.

I have a mk3 cargo plane (originally from 1.0.5) that has the main undercarriage attached to the fuselage rather than the wings to avoid issues with the wings flexing and affecting the undercarriage, it works quite well in 1.1, but the main gear is a little narrow so I moved it to the wings to see if that helped.  The result was a more stable aircraft - when it isn't moving - as it picks up speed it drifts off line very quickly.

My theory is that as the parts that the landing gear are attached to start to flex a little that movement also causes movement in the suspension which then effectively amplifies any wiggling about.   So I suspect it may not be a new issue as such, as it occurred in earlier versions, but just much less noticeably.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.