The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

54 minutes ago, Death Engineering said:

rYLHk02l.png

Has aero changed or perhaps drag on these parts changed? I used to be able to use this type of three-crew capsule in early career for tourism, etc. but it wont point shield-down in 1.1.x, but worked perfectly fine in 1.0.5

I've successfully landed more or less exactly that combo several times today, for the same reason, without any issues.

2 minutes ago, Death Engineering said:

Well I'm baffled then. Are you riding SAS on the way down?  Just did this in a fresh install. Seconds from boom:

Did it with Smart*ss Retro earlier, but your issue got me wondering so I tried it w/o.

Just SAS in retro (L1 pilot) and it stayed retro most of the ride, only flipped when past the hot zone.

Started with Ap at 71k, Pe at 55k. Kept it at "normal+" to bleed of speed until it started to get hot then clicked retro (the stock one this time). Burnt off < 40 units ablator.

Done a bunch of those orbital tourist trips to earn money for a Mün-shot.

2 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Did it with Smart*ss Retro earlier, but your issue got me wondering so I tried it w/o.

Just SAS in retro (L1 pilot) and it stayed retro most of the ride, only flipped when past the hot zone.

Started with Ap at 71k, Pe at 55k. Kept it at "normal+" to bleed of speed until it started to get hot then clicked retro (the stock one this time). Burnt off < 40 units ablator.

Done a bunch of those orbital tourist trips to earn money for a Mün-shot.

Found the problem.

Thank you @Claw, this fixed it:

Update 1.1.2b.1:

Added BodyLiftFix, which fixes broken body lift in 1.1.2.

I am wondering the same: A Mk-2 spaceplane I successfully landed time and again in 1.0.5 suddenly has issues with reentry in 1.1. Cockpit is heating up in the upper atmosphere and just goes boom after some time... Anybody else experiencing the same problem?

Or is it just my space-plane skills which suddenly got really, really crappy?

I've been out of the loop for a while and haven't played KSP since the pre-release ended. 

Would somebody be so kind as to brief me on what's still broken? Or, more optimistically, what has been fixed/improved since then? 

Sorry for the request but I'm kinda lazy short on time at the moment. 

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

Maybe late to the party, but OH GOD THE FPS! WHAT DO I DO WITH ALL THOSE FRAMES!?

The performance of 1.1.2 is amazing! I get solid 30 FPS on my crappy laptop, while previously I would have 20 at best. I even got 60 for a moment!

And I can move the navball! I CAN MOVE IT!!!

Edited by Veeltch

42 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Do Squad know this is broken? @Claw if not can you pass on the info?

Well, it wasn't a known thing until someone pointed it out to me. Fortunately the bug was pretty easy to find, and easy to fix via plugin (for the moment). :)

So, how much performance boosting can we expect in the future release? Or is this a bad place to ask. The boost so far was really good. I would interested be in hearing if there were more planed improvements in that area! ><

Edited by Arugela

1 minute ago, Arugela said:

So, how much performance boosting can we expect in the future release?

That's probably a development discussion topic, vice a grand 1.1 discussion. However, we are constantly looking for places to improve performance through better code management. The migration to Unity 5 was pretty significant, so I'm not sure if there will be changes on that big of a scale in the near future.

Well, I tentatively fooled around with playing a couple of times since v1.1, v1.1.1, v1.1.2...   - got HUGELY DISAPPOINTED  with the "new" wheel model, then quit playing, figuring to give the game time to stop crashing regularly. But today I decided to take my crew back from Laythe, they've been marooned long enough now methinks.

And then I discover that I can't!   What's up with this? The navigation nodes don't work!  ????

I mean...  I'm pretty speechless...  - ng...  - How could v1.1 even ship in this condition? Is the development team using Jebmech when they test fly?

- Ah mean...  This is just....  No.  No.   Just no...    No.

...I'm just outa here.

Does anyone have the same problems in 1.1.1 as I do. Like when you launch a rover that explodes on contact with the surface because the wheels spaz out. Anyway I would like to start a discussion about 1.1.1. While I do believe the devs deserve a vacation, I also believe that as soon as they come back, they should work out a fix to make 1.1.2 install properly, since I'm having that problem as well. Let me know your issues on 1.1.1. 

56 minutes ago, Vermil said:

Well, I tentatively fooled around with playing a couple of times since v1.1, v1.1.1, v1.1.2...   - got HUGELY DISAPPOINTED  with the "new" wheel model, then quit playing, figuring to give the game time to stop crashing regularly. But today I decided to take my crew back from Laythe, they've been marooned long enough now methinks.

And then I discover that I can't!   What's up with this? The navigation nodes don't work!  ????

I mean...  I'm pretty speechless...  - ng...  - How could v1.1 even ship in this condition? Is the development team using Jebmech when they test fly?

- Ah mean...  This is just....  No.  No.   Just no...    No.

...I'm just outa here.

I have to agree that the update has been a little dissapointing due to the over hyped nature of 1.1.0. The new wheels are a result of Unity 5's new wheel system AFAIK, and SQAUD has to work within the boundries of the engine they originally chose. As far as maneuver nodes go, you are experiencing either a unique bug or you are in career and haven't upgraded the Tracking Station. 1.1.0 was shipped early, and that  was extremely frustrating for a release. in 1.1.2, the game is more profoundly fixed, and has stabalized quite a bit more than previous releases. And I highly doubt the Dev team uses MechJeb, a third party addon, during development. Threatening to leave doesn't affect the state of the game an is kind of pointless, frankly.

I'm seeing an issue with 1.1.2 where a crewed capsule doesn't launch with the rest of the rocket. Instead it just hangs in mid-air over the launch pad. The rest of the rocket is uncontrollable. I've tried this with and without head shields under the capsule, same result. One other data point: Parachutes no longer show up as a separate stage in the VAB or the normal vessel view.

After experiencing this, I tried reloading a game from 1.0.x where I had a crewed spacecraft docked to an orbital station... and the capsule instantly detached as soon as I switched to the station... and flew off into space.

I've attempted removing as many mods from my setup as I can without negatively impacting my gameplay style or seriously breaking ships in old saved games. I just came back after a few months of not playing KSP, and the game is now utterly unplayable for me. I did a quick search of the forums but haven't found anything.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this?

Edited by reaction_wheel

5 hours ago, reaction_wheel said:

I'm seeing an issue with 1.1.2 where a crewed capsule doesn't launch with the rest of the rocket. Instead it just hangs in mid-air over the launch pad. The rest of the rocket is uncontrollable. I've tried this with and without head shields under the capsule, same result. One other data point: Parachutes no longer show up as a separate stage in the VAB or the normal vessel view.

After experiencing this, I tried reloading a game from 1.0.x where I had a crewed spacecraft docked to an orbital station... and the capsule instantly detached as soon as I switched to the station... and flew off into space.

I've attempted removing as many mods from my setup as I can without negatively impacting my gameplay style or seriously breaking ships in old saved games. I just came back after a few months of not playing KSP, and the game is now utterly unplayable for me. I did a quick search of the forums but haven't found anything.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this?

The obvious first step is remove ALL mods and check it in stock, it's best if you do a clean install for this, and you won't lose any mods from your current save that way either.  I know it's a pain, but the ONLY way to be sure it's not caused by mods is to try it without any and see if it still does it, then if it's good in stock, add them one at a time and try to pinpoint the cause.  If it does it in stock get as much detail as you can and report it in the bug tracker.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, pandaman said:

The obvious first step is remove ALL mods and check it in stock

CKAN helps. I took a guess and removed the mods that add parts, and narrowed it down to Procedural Fairings, which I probably don't need anymore what with the stock fairings. Thanks for the suggestion!

/me loads up vim and prepares to manually edit persistent.sfs...

On 5/16/2016 at 1:44 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

Mouseover a kerbal portrait and there's a small round button on the left.

Could this button always be visible?  The first time I go to use it and I feel like it is trolling me by disappearing when just about to click the button.

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

7 minutes ago, MoeslyArmlis said:

Could this button always be visible?  The first time I go to use it and I feel like it is trolling me by disappearing when just about to click the button.

File a suggestion on the tracker, or make a thread in Suggestions. I don't have any kind of say in that.

Interesting that you can't activate the IVA overlay if there's no crew aboard, there's a case for another interface to it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.