The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

"1.0.5 Pros Nothing is broken"

No.  Plenty of stuff in 1.0.5 was broken.  We just had it for so long we played around the problems. With 1.1 a couple issues been fixed, but most remain.  And 1.1 has thrown up a couple new ones to replace those that were.  So imho it's a wash: 1.1 is not fundamentally better, just different.

Edited by Sandworm

16 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

I will speak for us because those things are vital to the game

They're vital for you, which is why you should speak for yourself.

I have zero issues with wheels in 1.1.

Just now, regex said:

They're vital for you, which is why you should speak for yourself.

I have zero issues with wheels in 1.1.

Are you able to take off without landing gear exploding?
It seems to be quite a common experience for many people I've talked to 

The brief moment or two I loaded the 64 bit, I noticed that my FPS/performance had actually gone down since 1.0.5 (stock, same settings, etc). I read about a config file change to use the old terrain shader and not the new one (which cannot be disabled in the settings I believe). By using the old shader, performance was slightly helped (still not as good as 1.0.5; I disabled the shaders in the settings then).

After finals are over, I definitely want to look into why it is like this for me (my laptop is not the best, but its not necessarily a low end laptop either). All in all, I can't wait to fiddle around with the game and finally play 1.1!

Thanks Squad!

I agree that wheels and landing legs got seriously borked with the 1.1 update. However, while annoying, it doesn't make the game unplayable to me. I'd much rather work around the awkward wheel physics for a while than go back to having enough time during loading to solve my 5x5.

Also, if @regex could enlighten us on what wizardry allows his wheels to cooperate, I would much appreciate it. :)

Edited by cubinator

Just now, cubinator said:

I agree that wheels and landing legs got seriously borked with the 1.1 update. However, while annoying, it doesn't make the game unplayable to me. I'd much rather work around the awkward wheel physics for a while than go back to having enough time during loading to solve my 5x5.

Im not saying all of us should go back to 1.0.5. That i speak for myself. I do speak for the most people when i say they wheels are far to broken.

20 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

So far all of my crafts I've had to go and fix. One in particular I've already spend close to 2-3 hours on and the gear still explodes on take off. 

I'm not saying there aren't any issues at all, some of them do appear to be bugs and/or glitches which need to be fixed.  Whereas some of it is that they just work a lot differently now and we need to adjust how we design and use stuff.  I had it with a couple of rovers I tried, but once I changed how I mounted the wheels so that they don't clip the only issue I have is learning how the new system behaves, and overall I like it.  Let's face it, if your car tyres touch your wheel arches IRL you will get big problems, we were a bit spoilt before as it didn't seem to matter too much before 1.1

Edited by pandaman

7 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

How?
Ive speet 2-3 hours on one fighter aircraft and the small retractable landing gear in the back keep exploding as I'm taking off.

Designing for a lower take off speed and being aware that the spawn mechanics drop the aircraft in the orientation they are in the VAB will go a long way to solving take off problems.

Its the landing I can't manage, but thats because i'm messing around with fairly heavy things using the earliest aircraft tech,

Edited by ghpstage

1 minute ago, pandaman said:

I'm not saying there aren't any issues at all, some of them do appear to be bugs and/or glitches which need to be fixed.  Whereas some of it is that they just work a lot differently now and we need to adjust how we design and use stuff.  I had it with a couple of rovers I tried, but once I changed how I mounted the wheels so that they don't clip the only issue I have is learning how the new system behaves, and overall I like it.  Let's face it, if your car tyres touch your wheel arches IRL you will get big problems, we were a bit spoilt be for as it didn't seem to matter too much before 1.1

There is a difference between the tires touching and the part thats not the tire touching something else and causing the wheel not to work. 
Plus its KSP realism should not be too extreme
Heck you can't build a rover to fit in the MKIII cargo bay without clipping the wheels in a bit.

6 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

The you may just be one of the luck ones.
Its my back wheels that explode.

Well not just him. My gears don't explode either on the runway. And I am using the smallest one available. Just have to adjust your plane to be not superb heavy and stuff (and as you meantiond that you cannot clip the weels anymore.. Never did this anyways)

3 minutes ago, ghpstage said:

Designing for a lower take off speed and being aware that the spawn mechanics drop the aircraft in the orientation they are in the VAB will go a long way to solving take off problems.

Its the landing I can't manage, but thats because i'm messing around with fairly heavy things using the earliest aircraft tech,

My jet can take off at 50m/s yet still explode

I have had no new problems with wheel;s that I didn't have in 1.05. I still loose control of planes trying to get off the runway. The wheels are not the problems as the planes spin out of control tilt and rip there own wings off.

You are not proving the 1.1 is a let down. You are proving you don't like the new wheels. With all the other upgrades in Turbo (cutaway IVA's, new models, better load times, more mods stability, better frame rates, x64, the pedia, draggable info boxes, etc) if think you are throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Just figure out the new physics like we all do every iteration and roll with it. Even I managed to get a plane off the ground

Alacrity

7 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Also, if @regex could enlighten us on what wizardry allows his wheels to cooperate, I would much appreciate it. :)

I just design planes like I always have.  The new wheels have weight limits, I'm told, which might explain why explosions happen on take-off as the plane tilts and more force is placed on them.  The answer to that being to upgrade the gear to the next size or move them forward closer to the COM.  But my amphibian what I was flying around Kerbin during the pre-release loaded up just fine in 1.1 and took off from its unimproved, makeshift, non-existent runway without issue.  I crapped out a rover in ten minutes to hoover up KSC science and also had zero issues.

Just now, regex said:

I just design planes like I always have.  The new wheels have weight limits, I'm told, which might explain why explosions happen on take-off as the plane tilts and more force is placed on them.  The answer to that being to upgrade the gear to the next size or move them forward closer to the COM.  But my amphibian what I was flying around Kerbin during the pre-release loaded up just fine in 1.1 and took off from its unimproved, makeshift, non-existent runway without issue.  I crapped out a rover in ten minutes to hoover up KSC science and also had zero issues.

Interesting. But how about the fixed landing gear? Are they useless now? I haven't been able to get them to cooperate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.