The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

Is your reentering craft built with MK1 parts?

During beta-testing we did a lot of testing on this issue, because many people are finding aerobraking to be harder. Lots of arguing back and forth.

Eventual conclusion: the atmosphere model is identical to 1.0.5 -- as the Squad devs were insisting.

However, it seems that many parts have had their drag coefficients reduced (quite a bit!). And some other parts are still the same as they were in 1.0.5. So some designs have exactly identical performance to 1.0.5 during atmospheric flight and reentry, and some other designs slip through the air a heck of a lot faster (and get a lot hotter). The MK1 parts seem especially slippery now, and hard to aerobrake without being extra clever.

It's been how many updates since we've had the command chairs?  Since like, 0.20 at least?  It's 1.1 now, PEOPLE ARE GOING TO FIND WAYS TO LAUNCH JEB ON A DAMN SRB WHY CANT I FLY MY ULTRALIGHT WITHOUT GOING THROUGH ALL THIS?

qT37FPT.png

Seriously, I'm the last guy here to glorify the jackass-style of play but this is just ridiculous...  Why can't I launch a craft with only a seat?

Forum dwellers: I am very much well aware that "There's a Mod For That(tm)".  No one cares.

Guess my topic got deleted while I was clarifying what I meant.

Basically I was in 77 by 77 orbit.

Tried to do experiments, but it counts my orbit as "high above" and not "low orbit".

I tried increasing it on 80 by 80, but it is the same.

Do I need to be on 100 by 100 + so my experiments to work ?

It is Hard save and I do not think I really like to experiment and deorbit Jeb from 100 by 100 risking losing him so early in the game.

http://imgur.com/a/4TLGq

Ever since I play 70.1km by 70.1km was enough for "low orbit" science experiements. Has it changed or my copy/save got corrupted somehow ?

Once again, a number of 1.1 comments and questions have been folded into this master thread. We know it's exciting when a new version comes out, but please, let's not scatter overlapping discussions across the forum, and instead keep the discussion here for the time being. 

I am in orbit for the first time in this save. Why is it 0 science?

I already did "Space near" when I was doing sub-orbital flights.

Shouldnt this orbit count as "Orbit" ?

iirc  300km by 300km was "High Orbit", but I am not there yet.

Edited by Mapoko

There is no "low orbit." You're either in space near or high orbit. You get no extra science for actually being in orbit instead of on a suborbital (but in-space) trajectory.

Logical? I don't know. Is there anything unique about the temperature if you're in orbit or not?

But it is what it is.

Orbit isn't a biome, it never has been, Space near is the biome, and you've obviously done the experiments there, so there's nothing new available for being in an actual orbit.

You will get more science when recovering a craft thats been in orbit however, but its not a big thing.

250km+ is the high space biome. Similarly high orbit gives nothing extra so all you need to is raise your apoapsis to above 250km and do the experiments when you get there to grab that science.

Edited by ghpstage

42 minutes ago, regex said:

It's been how many updates since we've had the command chairs?  Since like, 0.20 at least?  It's 1.1 now, PEOPLE ARE GOING TO FIND WAYS TO LAUNCH JEB ON A DAMN SRB WHY CANT I FLY MY ULTRALIGHT WITHOUT GOING THROUGH ALL THIS?

Seriously, I'm the last guy here to glorify the jackass-style of play but this is just ridiculous...  Why can't I launch a craft with only a seat?

I can't imagine that you really need all of that. A crew module + decoupler + your ultralight, perhaps?

Hello, I have been waiting a while for the new update with great anticipation. And now upon it's release I am very happy. Yet the game crashes very very frequently. I do not know if this is an isolated case and as such I am making this thread.Is anyone else experiencing these crashes? Also how can I reduce/prevent these annoying setbacks. Thank you for your time.

18 minutes ago, bewing said:

I can't imagine that you really need all of that. A crew module + decoupler + your ultralight, perhaps?

Until your wheel gets stuck into the runway because the whole thing tipped forward.  But, honestly, that's besides the point because every time I have to revert to change something on the craft I have to hit the brakes, decouple the plane, get out of the damn pod, and run over to the seat.

Every time.

It gets old.

Edited by regex

Crashes have nothing to do with performance.  Crashes are bugs that need to be squashed.  Performance has greatly increased for me anyway.  As for the bugs, it could be mods, or it could be stock.  Several people, including myself, are having issues with crashing in the editors.  In any case, we need more info about your installation and logs from the crash.  Also, in the future, this goes in the tech support forums.

The vessel get extra speed from air drag

Game Version

Steam version, Ver 1.1.0.1230(X64)

Mod installed

RemoteTech 1.6.11

ModuleManager-2.6.22

ContractConfigurator_1.10.4

KerbalEngineer-1.1.0.2

Bug Description

I tried to use outer atmosphere to help slow down my pod, but after an slide at around 47km altitude, the pod got a speed of 4700 m/s and is leaving Kerbin, I noticed the speed is keep increasing until i leave the atmosphere.( It was about 3000 when i enter the atmosphere) So i have to quick load to previous save point and do it again. But this time that bug didn't happen. I'm sorry i didn't get any record or screenshot for it.

I did notice a considerable increase in performance. By performance, I mean the smoothness of the game, loading times, miscellaneous lag, etc.

15 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Crashes have nothing to do with performance.  Crashes are bugs that need to be squashed.  Performance has greatly increased for me anyway.  As for the bugs, it could be mods, or it could be stock.  Several people, including myself, are having issues with crashing in the editors.  In any case, we need more info about your installation and logs from the crash.  Also, in the future, this goes in the tech support forums.

I do believe (could be wrong) that reaching your computer's memory limits will result in a crash.

OP, are you sure you're running the x64 version? If you downloaded from the store you could be using the x32 one by mistake. If I understand correctly, the x64 version reduces memory usage, which should mean less crashes (citation needed).

I've yet to experience a crash or bug on 1.1.

2 minutes ago, A_name said:

I did notice a considerable increase in performance. By performance, I mean the smoothness of the game, loading times, miscellaneous lag, etc.

I do believe (could be wrong) that reaching your computer's memory limits will result in a crash.

OP, are you sure you're running the x64 version? If you downloaded from the store you could be using the x32 one by mistake. If I understand correctly, the x64 version reduces memory usage, which should mean less crashes (citation needed).

I've yet to experience a crash or bug on 1.1.

I am definitely using the 64 bit version. Although most of the crashes seem to be in the VAB/SPH

2 minutes ago, Jhawk1099 said:

I am definitely using the 64 bit version. Although most of the crashes seem to be in the VAB/SPH

I started out with a fresh career so my builds have been low in parts and stages so far, so I'm not really stressing it. How big are your builds?

Just now, A_name said:

I started out with a fresh career so my builds have been low in parts and stages so far, so I'm not really stressing it. How big are your builds?

Ha I am also starting a new campaign. So just like you very small. I am actually trying my first tourist to orbit contract right now! It should be a resounding success being as Jeb is at the controls.

Only crashes I notice are my ships :(

I haven't done any really lengthy missions but in the hour or so I played it after the update, it ran fine.  Usually I'm relegated to like 20fps but this ran nice and smooth.

Hi I've been playing a bit now and I noticed that when I place a service bay and a heat-shield below, during reentry the part on top of the service bay overheats quickly.

Not sure if it's a bug or something else.

Any ideas? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.