KSP x64 Stability

SyberSmoke

So, with today's grand update I was curious and took a look in the folder and saw the reinstatement of the sixty four bit executable.  So I am curious if people have given it a go and how stable it is.  I know the last outing into 64bit was pulled...so I am curious about what people find out.

its pretty early to tell. So early for me I still need to get home and download the update.

I do know the last 64-bit version wasn't stable due to Unity4 issues. Since we are at Unity5 Id ASSUME things would be inherently more stable. How much more I can't say.

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

I played 64bit in the whole pre-release. It's stable as it can be.

Other than rare random CTDs (I've only had a handful), it's good.

Mac OS and Linux have some issues though.

Mostly Linux, I think. I haven't had a single crash under OS X at all since the public betas started.

I've been playing x64 the whole pre-release on windows 10 and trying to mod the bajeebus out of it trying to get it to crash... doesn't.
I had the editor crash that was fixed. I was actively trying to crash the game via mods and couldn't do it. So, have fun.

At first, I couldn't see the x86_64 version in the official 1.1.0 I downloaded.

A few hours laters, I noticed the package had changed, twice as big, even if the file had the same name.

Ok, fresh win x86_64 install, new game.

I went to the SPH, and loaded some of the new demo rovers... bad idea...

...Crash to desktop in less than 5 minutes.

I waited patiently for a stable release before coming back to the game, but it seems we are still in beta.

Edited by gogozerg

12 hours ago, SyberSmoke said:

I just try to avoid assumptions at every turn, they are bad if you're trying to solve problems and your assumption is wrong.  :-D

What, like assuming that other people's experiences will necessarily apply to your own experience, on your hardware, with your OS, with your combination of mods etc? If you trying to avoid assumptions, the only way to find out is to try it for yourself

11 hours ago, bewing said:

I also played the whole pre-release on 64 bit. It's vastly more stable than the 32 bit executable now.

I tested both 32-bit and 64-bit, and I found that they had equal stability (well, except for that one update that leaked memory like crazy, that was pretty harmful to the 32-bit version's address limits, obviously, but Squad seems to have resolved that).  The infrequent CTD happens in both, and they both leak memory slowly.

Still, that is an improvement over the days when the 64-bit version was basically a glitchy bomb.

43 minutes ago, Servo said:

I tried it out yesterday, and x64 crashed pretty randomly (in the VAB of all places, and I wasn't building anything over 300 parts), I'll try again and report back later.

Are you using KER or MechJeb?

4 minutes ago, bewing said:

Yeah, mods are risky. I gave it a quick go yesterday, moddedd with everything I'm likely to use (half of it beta versions, too), and I had it promtly crash to desktop. Still, that was to be expected... now the fun part of hunting for the culprit begins! And, you know, it let me fool around for a while, and only crashed on a scene change, so not that awful as KSP goes.

Rune. I'd rather crash to desktop than play without KER's instrumentation.

Playing vanilla (no mods) 1.1.0, 64-bit.  Crashed quite a bit in the VAB before my first launch; I had to restart about half a dozen times, seemingly around when I tried to pick up a piece I'd moved off the rocket and tried to re-attach (e.g., radial decouplers or launch clamps); I should have paid better attention to submit an accurate bug report.  Since launch, though, smooth sailing.

I'm loving the new UI.  Parts of it just look crisper and easier to read.  Of course, YMMV.

16 minutes ago, Rune said:

Some players seem to have had anecdotal issues with KER when they were in the VAB. But only when designing ships. It may be a bit of a burden until any issue is sorted out, but if there is still an issue on the VAB it may help to have an unmodded copy of KSP where you design ships.

1 hour ago, bewing said:

Nope, stock game

1 hour ago, Rune said:

Yeah, mods are risky. I gave it a quick go yesterday, moddedd with everything I'm likely to use (half of it beta versions, too), and I had it promtly crash to desktop. Still, that was to be expected... now the fun part of hunting for the culprit begins! And, you know, it let me fool around for a while, and only crashed on a scene change, so not that awful as KSP goes.

Yeah, I'll start slowly adding in mods to find which ones work. As soon as I get a couple hours free to play.

12 hours ago, Damien_The_Unbeliever said:

What, like assuming that other people's experiences will necessarily apply to your own experience, on your hardware, with your OS, with your combination of mods etc? If you trying to avoid assumptions, the only way to find out is to try it for yourself

True enough, but with a broad enough body of people stating their experiences, you can get a solid idea of what to expect out of it.  It is better then assuming since you will have polled people with different rigs and software and can get a solid idea.  It is far better then just randomly guessing or assuming that something will work without any knowledge beforehand.

Essentially defining a base of expectation for what your doing instead of just blindly running in.  It is kind of why online stores have ratings and reviews.  Your experience may vary, but you can get an idea of what to and not to expect.

I don't see the 64-bit executable as a separate option in the launcher, the bottom one is the 32-bit one now.  Want to be sure when I launch default now it is indeed 64-bit?

Also, in 50 hours of 64-bit beta NOT A SINGLE CRASH.  Pretty impressive, though I am on the low side of tech and attachments.

Win7 here.  Did x64 the whole pre-release and continuing after the public release.  I mean, what's the point in moving to Unity 5 if you don't play in x64?  Haven't ever run 1.1 in x32 and don't plan to;

I've kept my Steam version totally cherry 1.1 from a clean install and have heavily modded 1.1 installs elsewhere.  All of them work great.  I have the occasional crash in both stock and modded versions but they are quite rare and unpredictable.  In general, my experience has been that I can play KSP all day in x64, modded or not, and not have a crash or even a warning of one.

1 hour ago, jpinard said:

I don't see the 64-bit executable as a separate option in the launcher, the bottom one is the 32-bit one now.  Want to be sure when I launch default now it is indeed 64-bit?

Steam now defaults to KSP_X64.exe (confirmed in task manager and in-game) - I presume if you don't have a 64 bit OS it's a different story

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.