1.1 Text is unreadable

I don't want to throw out negativity, I'll start by saying overall 1.1 looks great however I am disappointed. You'd think someone in testing would have mentioned that you cannot get clear readable text in the game now. It doesn't matter what resolution I try or how I set the new "UI Scale" the text is simply well... Blurry maybe? I can't really describe what is wrong with the text, it is just simply unreadable no matter what I put my graphics settings and "UI Scale" at. I have heard that this was an issue with past version but I've been playing for a while now and the text was never an issue for me before. You need a lot of data to build and fly these rockets effectively, if I can't read said data then the game will be to the level of unplayable. Here is hoping for a fix because KSP is awesome!

EDIT: I've looked around and I am not the only one to mention this so it is not just some fluke

Edited by cj_1601

It was put forward in a bug report almost immediately after the 1.1 pre-released arrived. I haven't heard anything official from Squad but it is annoying as hell. We can only assume they know about it and are working on it. I suspect a bit of bleed through from the console version. 

15 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

It was put forward in a bug report almost immediately after the 1.1 pre-released arrived. I haven't heard anything official from Squad but it is annoying as hell. We can only assume they know about it and are working on it. I suspect a bit of bleed through from the console version. 

Game looks great but am I the only one noticing that there is something off with the game? IDK, maybe its just me but i can't quite put a finger on it...:confused:

6 hours ago, cj_1601 said:

You'd think someone in testing would have mentioned that you cannot get clear readable text in the game now,

As happens EVERY release with small bugs and UI issues, this was mentioned TIME AND TIME AGAIN to SQUAD from pre-release testers.  There are multiple bug reports on the issue and this was one of the items that was posted in the @NathanKell thread a couple days ago asking about the most serious bugs still remaining.

Pre-releases and bug fixing/testing is done not in a vacuum but with schedules, time constraints, workloads and many other variables in mind.  SQUAD chooses the bugs that they think are most important to fix before release and we, as testers, users and customers of theirs, have to deal with those decisions.

In this particular case, I think the choice to focus on wheels and landing gear (so they're at least semi-functional to mostly functional for the 1.1 release) was a much better decision than worrying about the text...and trust me, even in the most recent pre-release builds, the landing gear and wheels were NOT working.  So, to sum up...in this case your choice was between fuzzy text or not being able to land airplanes, spaceplanes or rockets with landing gear.  I think SQUAD probably chose wisely this time.  I would guess the text issues (if enough throw a stink about them) will be fixed in a patch for 1.1

8 minutes ago, Atlas2342 said:

Game looks great but am I the only one noticing that there is something off with the game? IDK, maybe its just me but i can't quite put a finger on it...:confused:

I know exactly what you mean. The lighting has changed in unity 5. The more you onl play 1.1 the less it seems odd. It's not worse, just different. 

yeah its somekind of blurry  the text   and on the recources page    fuel etc  ,  the font hurts my eyes   ,  and the flight ui  is not changeable anymore  .    now the navball is a  low res huge thing  on my 42 inch   screen  

24 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Loving the game's new parts but the part list looks...gloomy and the navball, did it get bigger? If not i need more sleep...

I don't know... I've been playing 1.1 for a while now... the fact that I can turn on anti aliasing now makes me happy.

I do have found weird glitches in which I expect a rocket to disintegrate mid air but it starts doing a weird dance until the fuel runs out. In general I think is a complete improvement (just waiting for a huge amount of mods... planet shine should be merged into the game)

8 hours ago, Atlas2342 said:

Loving the game's new parts but the part list looks...gloomy and the navball, did it get bigger? If not i need more sleep...

The navball is somewhat correctable with a mod Sarbian released ( it's in a pinned thread in the support forum ). The "gloomy" part list is some sort of change in the VAB/SPH lighting:

Spoiler

1.0.5:

screenshot18

1.1:

screenshot17

Can't say I'm a fan of the new lighting, it's very flat - the parts list lighting *is* flat, it was maybe done for performance reasons - and quite depressing.

If you're forcing DX11 - stop. It causes really fuzzy text rendering with AA on, and I have been informed ( in a related support thread ) isn't supported ( despite some DX11 shader fixes turning up in 1.0...). If it's just from UI scaling, then I agree, the green text doesn't scale well at all.

Edited by Van Disaster

10 hours ago, Alshain said:

The text size can be corrected too, just raise the UI size to 120 in the setting and then, if you like, use Sarbian's mod to fix the other UI elements to be smaller.

Using @sarbian's mod to scale down UI elements also scales down the text, so doing that is pointless.

When I set the game to my correct screen resolution all text became tiny tiny and almost impossible to read with my nose pressed to the screen.

I played around with the resolution settings and found the next smaller one with the same ratio and everything looks as crisp as it did in 1.0.5, if not better. Navball seems to be the correct size again too.

Perfectly happy at this point.

There's a bug (which I reported a couple of weeks ago, #8690) where text will be too small if you start a flight while in 120% UI scale. If you start in 100% UI scale and then switch to 120% from the in flight settings menu, the text is a lot larger and nicely readable.

Basically:

Start in 120% then switch to 100%: unreadable

Start in 120% and stay in 120%: barely readable

Start in 100% and stay in 100%: OK (like in 1.0.5)

Start in 100% and switch to 120%: Nicely readable (a bit larger than 1.0.5)

Whenever you go back to the Space Center, make sure you set 100% again before starting or switching to another flight. I stopped using 120% due to this hassle.

The mix of fonts is a weird design choice, but what's bothering me more is the yellow text ('No comms on this vessel' and similar) which are almost unreadable with a bright background. Just a tiny outline on the text with a high contrast (dark grey/black) would solve it easily.

On 20/04/2016 at 9:04 PM, Alshain said:

The text size can be corrected too, just raise the UI size to 120 in the setting and then, if you like, use Sarbian's mod to fix the other UI elements to be smaller.

That works ok until you start adding 3rd party UI elements which take their scaling from the UI scaling.

I found MakeItSmaller to be a terrific tool for investigating and fixing this problem. When a UI element is scaled up and down there are obviously a few sizes where the font scaling works and many where it doesn't. When it doesn't all kinds of jaggies and haloing occur as the anti-aliasing doesn't put "grey" pixels at the edges of letters to smooth them off or fails to put any full-color pixel on a line and tries to build a letter stem out of grey pixels.

And you can rescale different UI elements independently, repeatedly, and without exiting the game to the main menu for each change.

To me it looks like some elements such staging and the resource tab were scaled below what their text element supports while other such as the nav ball were increased in size, but not enough to get to the next point size.

1.1 looks like this for me:

vtpxrZx.png

(Sensations of eyeball vibration are probably Illusory.)

Resized via MakeItSmaller (All)

refcrrS.png

(actual text is much crisper: imgur seems to compress everything.)

EDIT: MakeItSmaller's All option affect menu text size, which also has a problem. I've been scalling All up and then scaling some individual elements back down.

EDIT EDIT: Hmm both stock and MakeItSmaller "All" UI scaling trigger a known significant bug: ships/planets move off their orbit lines, Ap, Pe markers too. Maybe the "All" part of the workaround is not so hot. :(

Edited by Camacan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.