Craft of the short film Cold War Blackbird

Y5zn40m.png

These are the stock versions of the craft used in my short film Cold War Blackbird, during the film they were painted, had decals applied and some had BD Armory systems. Otherwise the craft were stock.

Cold War Blackbird is a short film set in 1972 in an alternate Kerbal universe over the country of Kerbitnam. All the craft were from that time period in our universe but as far as I know no MiG 25's ever flew in Vietnam. However all the other craft were in Vietnam during that period. Where possible the planes have performance similar to their real counterparts. There are also ground vehicles and other accessories all stock. It was filmed in 1.05 and no effort has been made to update these craft to 1.1 yet. I would share the film versions but the changes would be difficult to replicate.

You can see the film here -> 

Download

Renders:

@Starwhip did a nice render for me, thank you.

s7E4sOj.png

Craft:

SR-71 Blackbird

McDonnell Douglas F4 Phantom II

Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 25

Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker

Republic F105 Thundercheif (not used in film)

M49AC2 Refuelling Truck

Willy's Jeep (already released via KerbalX)

Airstairs

Imgur Albums

SR-71 Blackbird

McDonnell Douglas F4 Phantom II

Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 25

Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker

Republic F105 Thundercheif

M49AC2 Refuelling Truck

Airstairs

Edited by selfish_meme

6 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Thanks Majorjim, I still think your Duna video remake is one of the best I have ever seen. Did you spot the boos, boos?

Cheers mate!

Boo boos? Hmm, no. The beginning was stunning with the service vehicles and the music! Some of te camera angles and position could have been better during the dog fight but that is a minor quibble. I thought the use of music and scenes were amazing. What where the boo boos? 

11 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Cheers mate!

Boo boos? Hmm, no. The beginning was stunning with the service vehicles and the music! Some of te camera angles and position could have been better during the dog fight but that is a minor quibble. I thought the use of music and scenes were amazing. What where the boo boos? 

Yeah @BahamutoD released his dogfight camera mode after I had already filmed and mostly edited the dogfight, I can't wait to try it out next time.

Most of the boo boos were silly, it was a simulated docking, the Tanker had a docking port Jr and the SR-71 a MK2 Docking port. The F4's did not drop their drop tanks before the fight, the MiG25's had obvious long range missiles on them, stuff like that.

Just now, selfish_meme said:

Yeah @BahamutoD released his dogfight camera mode after I had already filmed and mostly edited the dogfight, I can't wait to try it out next time.

Most of the boo boos were silly, it was a simulated docking, the Tanker had a docking port Jr and the SR-71 a MK2 Docking port. The F4's did not drop their drop tanks before the fight, the MiG25's had obvious long range missiles on them, stuff like that.

I did think maybe I was going to see the docking, but I imagine that would be very hard indeed, if at all possible. Those other things I would never have noticed!

7 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I did think maybe I was going to see the docking, but I imagine that would be very hard indeed, if at all possible. Those other things I would never have noticed!

It was extremely hard and I got really close several times, but I was using the keyboard, I imagine a good pilot with a joystick could manage it, I even improved the boom mechanism (with right port) for the film, but it came to late. It took less time to fake it.

Edited by selfish_meme

59 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Next you should consider doing a film about an F-4 mission from an aircraft carrier. I figure a bombing mission would be easier to film than a dogfight.

Nope, I am finished with it now, time to move on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.